Cheat Sheet

Friday Fantasy Cheat Sheet – Rd. 7

Get your round seven selection info, trade tips, rookie rankings, captains picks and more.

Welcome to a new article for DT Talk this season; the Friday Fantasy Cheat Sheet.

Ben of the @BeaufortBeaus takes a look at the most popular trades of Round 7 so far.

Most Traded In

Lachie Whitfield topped this list last week but he’s still ridiculously underpriced, as is Bailey Smith at #9. Callum Mills was the highest scorer of Round 6 with 125 and has caught the eye of many, but be warned that Brodie Smith and Jordan Ridley are cheaper and safer picks.

Coaches who brought in Adam Treloar before the partial lockout will be over the moon with his 119, as will new Sam Simpson owners after he outscored his breakeven by a whopping 98 points. Hopefully Atu Bosenavulagi sat on your pine though because he only managed to scrape to 25.

1. Sam Simpson (MID, $232,000)
  2. Izak Rankine (FWD, $204,000)
  3. Lachie Whitfield (MID/FWD, $694,000) 👍
  4. Will Day (DEF, $268,000)
  5. Andrew McPherson (DEF, $190,000)
  6. Callum Mills (DEF, $632,000) 🚩
  7. Ned Cahill (MID/FWD, $170,000)
  8. Atu Bosenavulagi (FWD, $194,000)
  9. Bailey Smith (MID/FWD, $563,000) 👍
  10. Adam Treloar (MID, $847,000) 👍

Most Traded Out

Coaches have decided that now’s the time to cash in on fattened rookies or get rid of red dots from their benches. It’s a solid plan with the upcoming patch of byes and shortened breaks because bench cover will be a necessity.

Trading Tyler Brown to Sam Simpson is the most popular trade of the week, while Andrew McPherson is the most popular option for Hayden Young.

1. Tyler Brown (MID, $263,000) ✂️
  2. Hayden Young (DEF, $355,000) 🚑
  3. Matt Rowell (MID, $527,000) 🚑
  4. Curtis Taylor (FWD, $379,000)
  5. Tom Green (MID, $322,000) ✂️
  6. Jarrod Brander (DEF/FWD, $354,000) 🚑
  7. Justin McInerney (MID, $282,000) ✂️
  8. Isaac Heeney (MID/FWD, $644,000) 🚑
  9. Trent Rivers (DEF/MID, $296,000) ✂️
  10. Connor Budarick (MID/FWD, $338,000)

Trade Targets

1. Dylan Stephens, MID, $288K
  2. Mitch Hibberd, MID, $237K
  3. Izak Ranine, FWD, $204K
  4. Ned Cahill, MID/FWD, $170K
  5. Andrew McPherson, DEF, $190K

Firstly, the No. 1 spot would be reserved for Sam Simpson but he can’t be traded in. If you’re in dire need of a startable MID, I’d trust Dylan Stephens who should get plenty of opportunity in Sydney’s midfield. Outside of him, Mitch Hibberd finally showed us he can fantasy football and looms as another good target. If your midfield is set, then the forward line is where a lot of the other targets can be found. Izak Rankine hardly put a foot wrong for coaches in Round 6 and against the Swans I expect him to come back to Earth a bit.

With that said, he’s still a good target this week along with Bombers debutant Ned Cahill. A NAB League average of 81 from 12 games is encouraging and Cahill kicked a bag in the Dons’ scratch match last week, while also spending some time in the middle. If defense is where you need help, there aren’t a lot of viable options. A near-sideways move from Hayden Young to Lachie Ash will tempt some, but if Andrew McPherson holds his place in Adelaide’s side, he’s a fine target to generate some dough – hopefully sitting on your bench.

For more on then check out next week’s Cash Cow’s article! ✌️

Starting Rankings

Based on matchups, role and scoring potential here’s a roadmap to how you should start your rookies on your field in Round 6.

DEFENDERS

Desperate times: Luke Jackson, Darcy Cameron, Tristian Xerri*

FORWARDS

1. Curtis Taylor
  2. Connor Budarick
  3. Jake Aarts

Desperate times: Izak Rankine, Ned Cahill, Max King, Shane McAdam

Click here to read Fry’s weekly cash cows article.

Let me say this in terms that addresses everyone’s questions, as no matter what I write here, people ask the following questions… based around VC options from last night.

“Do I take Grundy’s 119?”- Cal answers “YES”
“Do I take Treloar’s 119?”- Cal answers “YES”
“Do I take Dangerfield’s 110?”- Cal answers “YES”
“Do I take Cam Guthrie’s 107?”- Cal answers “YES, and what a fluke”
“Do I take Adams’ 97?”- Cal answers “YES”
“Do I take De Goey’s 96?”- Cal answers “YES”
“Do I take Crisp’s 75 or Pendle’s 71?”- Cal answers “NO”

If I have answered NO to any of the questions above, or if I haven’t answered your question… please select from a captain below.

1. Max Gawn
  2. Andrew Gaff
  3. Jack Macrae
  4. Lachie Whitfield
  5. Sam Docherty
  6. Jack Steele
  7. Tom Mitchell
  8. Todd Goldstein
  9. Lachie Neale
  10. Stephen Coniglio

Click here to read Calvin’s weekly captains article.

Try and get big Max asap or fix up defence after having Young, Butler and Starc back there?

@mpoz9203

Hey mate,

Great question mate and a lot of people are in the same boat. I think Max is such a good option at the moment that as long as you are fielding 6 defenders, get the big fella in and worry about strengthening cover down back next week. Its not every week you can be within range of the likes of Gawn so as long as it doesn’t mean rolling with a doughnut, jump on and put the C on him.

Click here to read Roy’s weekly trade article.

DraftKings is now available in Australia and we’re excited to have them on board as our DFS partner. They have just launched their AFL contests and there is something there for everyone. Register for DraftKings by clicking here.

Some of the key ‘AFL Showdown’ contests for tonight include:

• BIG GPP – $20,000 Saw Tooth ($5k for first) – $12 entry
  • HIGH ROLLER 1 – $6,500 Torpedo Kick – $100 entry
  • HIGH ROLLER 2 – $5,700 Specky (only 4 teams) – $1,500 entry

Here’s my line up for Friday night’s $20k Saw Tooth. Lockout 7:50pm AEST.

Global contest. Entry fees and prizes are in USD. Not available to residents of SA. T&Cs apply. See DraftKings.com for details. 18+ Gamble Responsibly. Think! About your choices. Call Gambling Help 1800 858 858 www.gamblinghelponline.org.au

Shags

July 17, 2020 at 11:43 am

Thoughts on Day at Hawks? Thought his debut was great. Scored a solid score.

Unsure why hes listed as “desperate times”.

58 is a very decent score for a def rookie. Is his JS shakey?

Fry

July 17, 2020 at 1:04 pm

Probably skimmed over him and didn’t give him props after his debut score. In hindsight, he should probably startable in the same convo as Starc and above McPherson. I don’t expect his scores to be too fruitful, but he did look good last week

James Radcliffe-Smith

July 17, 2020 at 1:52 pm

Day, Stephens or Byrnes? I’m leaning towards Stephens for JS but defender rookies are dire and 110k saved for Byrnes is tempting too.

Matt

July 17, 2020 at 1:15 pm

Yeah I’d be comfortable fielding him in you’re getting him. Don’t know why all those Crows defenders are ranked higher haha, maybe cause they’re at home v Saints they might score well

Nathan

July 17, 2020 at 2:10 pm

who to bring in for young?

Brodie Smith + 254k

OR

Nick Haynes + 163k

Damo

July 17, 2020 at 4:08 pm

Smith for mine

Anthony

July 17, 2020 at 2:30 pm

Kane Farrell an option now that he has moved onto a wing? Seems to be playing a role similar to what Westhoff used to play

Grovers Guns

July 17, 2020 at 3:09 pm

Who to trade out of Max King or Budarick?

Grovers Guns

July 17, 2020 at 3:11 pm

Whoever stays will be on field this week (as they are turned into BSmith)
      – though I can also go Bennel or Pickett as trade (as both sit on my bench)
      Already gone Young to Simpson

BJ

July 17, 2020 at 4:10 pm

Both should play majority of games so can’t split them there. I’d trust Budarick on field more than Max and he gives you extra DPP flexibility so I’d probably (marginally) lean towards trading Max. Budarick would give you a few extra $$ though on the flipside.

Charlie's Angels

July 17, 2020 at 4:20 pm

King against Adelaide this week, potential for 4+ goals?

Grovers Guns

July 17, 2020 at 5:25 pm

Cheers guys
          Traded Budarick for the extra $$ now and less chance of him making anymore cash

BJ

July 17, 2020 at 4:10 pm

I (unfortunately) have Ward … which of the following would you suggest …

A – Gaff
    B – Macrae + 39K
    C- Yeo + 139K

I think Gaff and Macrae will score more but the cash saved getting Yeo instead could be invaluable for the coming weeks when it could be bedlam!

Grovers Guns

July 17, 2020 at 5:26 pm

Answered other page
      I would go Yeo for value and use the extra cash for an upgrade next week

Jimmy

July 17, 2020 at 5:08 pm

Lambert +$100k
    Whitfield
    Farrell +$300k

Thoughts? I feel Whitfield is safest option but I still have Starc on field so I want to get rid of him ASAP and next week I won’t have enought to be able to if I go for Whit

JLS

July 17, 2020 at 5:28 pm

If you’re willing to take a risk then Lambert is your go to. Prestia probably out at least another 3 weeks helps his cause to stay the middle.

If you were playing it safe then Whitfield is the go to. + this is the cheapest you’re probably going to get him for the rest of the season!

Tim B

July 17, 2020 at 5:17 pm

Thanks AFL for being precise with when Monday teams will be announced (“Friday evening”). Anyone know exactly when? 6:25pm? Hopefully it’s before full lockout.

Petracca

July 17, 2020 at 5:40 pm

Mills +$134k or Lloyd + $5k

I’m actually leaving Mills atm I’m not sure how worthwhile it is spending up in the backline. Also feel that we may go to 3 trades next week which would benefit having extra $ itb to make moves.

Or do I stop overthinking it and just get in Lloyd?

John

July 17, 2020 at 5:47 pm

What’s your thoughts on doedee? I have to trade out young and only have $489k tossing up between him and McPherson, I get a donut if he doesn’t play

llizardofoz

July 17, 2020 at 6:19 pm

Doedee=good punt..but riskyyyyy.

Tim B

July 17, 2020 at 6:23 pm

Yikes. McPherson should be right… You’d want to be confident Doedee’s not going to get you any more 20s or 30s. I’d guess that’s due to role. You could get Stoddart…

Lewie-14

July 17, 2020 at 5:47 pm

Mills or Smith to bring in for Brander ?

Tim B

July 17, 2020 at 6:27 pm

Smith. Injured Rd 1. Forced to take Kelly’s defensive back role most of the game Rd 2 after Kelly was injured. Been fine since. Mills 38 is a concern for me.

Jay

July 17, 2020 at 6:02 pm

Bring a defender in to get rookie off field
    Mills/ short/ Ridley or sic

Tim B

July 17, 2020 at 6:16 pm

Short. In 2018, he averaged 70.7 (with Houli, 13 games) vs 83.4 (without, 9 games). Since then he’s had 4 games without Houli 3 (injured Q1), 75, and 66 and 100 this year. Should push 80 (100 BCV) without Houli this year I reckon. I don’t trust any of them, but I trust Short them most (and have just traded him in).

Tim B

July 17, 2020 at 6:31 pm

Tim B

July 17, 2020 at 6:33 pm

My mistake Adelaide team also released: https://www.afc.com.au/news/744464/team-selection-round-seven

No idea what the afl site is doing.

Lewie-14

July 17, 2020 at 6:40 pm

Worried about Mcpherson on the extended bench, if i bring him in and he’s not named i’m screwed !

Harold

July 17, 2020 at 6:43 pm

any thoughts on Baker as an option

Jay

July 17, 2020 at 6:55 pm

Option 1 – short in and starc to bench and all bench cover

Option 2 – Whitfield in and serong to bench, starc on field and no def bench cover

Gumby

July 17, 2020 at 7:22 pm

upgrade 1:Pitt Dog to Goldy? or
    2: Mcpherson (gold coast) to Whitfield?

The Milkmen

July 17, 2020 at 9:53 pm

Gee. Tim English is doing great since I traded him out after round 2.

Belly

July 18, 2020 at 12:20 pm

Im thinking of using his as a stepping stone from Pitt to Gawn next week, he should be about 220k cheaper which is better spent getting a rook off field elsewhere.

Andy

July 18, 2020 at 1:42 pm

Dusty is finally gawn from my team.
    Hoping Cripps starts scoring well, or he gets the chop next week.

There’s lots of rookies to choose from, but not many good ones.
    I’ve got most of the best already: Serong, Stephens, C.Taylor, Vandermeer, Rankin.
    I don’t rate many of the others. Weightman is too expensive.

Shane VanZitsBurger

July 18, 2020 at 11:13 pm

Izzy Rankine is the real deal banana peel🍌

Andy

July 19, 2020 at 7:06 pm

He scored just as much as Dusty, and is currently $438,000 cheaper.

Jay

July 19, 2020 at 7:48 pm

Dusty should be gone – he’ll cop the hard ‘the Boar’ tag next round. I’m expecting a 30-40

I myself am undecided if I bench him for Rankin this coming round or just sell him.

Andy

July 19, 2020 at 7:53 pm

Last year I took Petracca at the start of the year. He was very disappointing.
    -look how he’s going this year.

This year I took Rozee instead. Expletive, expletive, expletive…

Doug

July 20, 2020 at 8:40 am

Man, I’ve somehow stayed in neutral territory through all the injuries, but this round has seen almost all of my team perform incredibly meh, with only 2 standouts to go with 2 shockers..

Grundy & Trac were offset but Wingard & Serong, but apart from that, Doc, Crisp, Ridley, Brayshaw, McGrath, Titch, Cogs, Parfitt, Bazlenka, Whitfield, all had varying degrees of going ok without being remarkable.. Ridley with his 38 pt 1st quarter got me excited, Neale copped a tag as expected, Simpkin had injury concerns, Simpson/Aarts scored about what’d you’d think they would, although Houston is coming good..

Just hope Brodie keeps us his 3 game average, and Hamill can put up another 50, justifying the decision to bench Starcevich..

Doug

July 20, 2020 at 8:40 am

Maynard*, not Crisp…

emily

July 20, 2020 at 7:38 pm

all my players done for the week, guy im playing has 3 to play need an average of 55 for each to win
        Doedee
        Mcasey
        M.King

from the foot fetish girl

mmmm feet in custard

jay

July 20, 2020 at 8:32 pm

It doesn’t look like Hunter Clark will survive the next round of trades.

Can’t wait for lockout to lift!!

emily

July 20, 2020 at 9:09 pm

yep high expectation for Clark this year, was going to pick him at the start of the season, but I’m glad I didn’t.
      but in saying that I’ve made worse choices lol

from the foot fetish girl

mmmm feet in porridge

Brucey Don't Like Rusty

July 20, 2020 at 10:39 pm

Waiting for lockout to end so I can rage trade King

emily

July 20, 2020 at 11:13 pm

wish I knew we were going to have 3 trades this week, would have saved some cash.
      R we having 3 trades next week as well.

from the foot fetish girl