The Friday Scramble

The Thursday Scramble: Round 7

More injuries but more importantly heaps of rookies to choose from! Time to Scramble!!

This has been a truly amazing season and the hits just keep on coming! Not only do we have fewer rounds, an unknown fixture and injuries left right and centre, but we now have something we have been screaming out for rookies. The only problem is that we have too many of them all happening at once. Nothing left to do but Scramble!

Rookie Rumble!

We have been screaming out for rookies for a few weeks now and then we get them all at once. This is just the kind of thing that we would expect 2020 to throw at us. Now we need to make a decision (assuming you didn’t grab them in their first week). There are a couple of big questions that need to be answered first.

0, 1 or 2?
The first question this week is how many of the rookies you take. Remember that in RDT and SC their prices haven’t moved yet so this is a key week for them. And for AF they have already had the one price increase (and some have had 2). This question is obviously very specific to your team, but here are some thoughts for you.
Given a choice I would look to double downgrade this week. There are some fantastic options that we may not see anytime soon. So based on that if you can, you should look to make a cash grab to set yourself up for the coming weeks. Obviously all of this will hinge on what happens at selection.

But who do I trade out?
Who do I prioritise to trade out? Do we trade out non-playing rookies, underperformers or fat cash cows? If your team is anything like mine you have had all sorts of problems in the last couple of weeks at selection with the backline rookies not getting a game. If you had guys like Brander, Rivers, Noble and Zerk-Thatcher you have had to do some serious trading to get a team on the field. So my priority would be to trade out the non-playing rookies first. These guys are the ones that are hurting your team week in week out. Over the last couple of weeks my upgrade plans have been thwarted by having to fix problems.
The other options you have would be to trade out would be your fattened cash cows. But I wouldn’t prioritise them, at least they are scoring and playing. Far better to lose a couple of thousand dollars on them than to have a donut.
Fallen Premo’s? No. I mentioned this on the SupercoachCoach podcast this week that you don’t want trade out the guys that have the potential to score you a 100. Think back to Sicily from round 5. He scored a 36 that week and many wanted to trade him out. But he bounced back to score a 114 this week. You aren’t going to get that from one of your cash cows. Until you have absolutely nothing else to do in your team. Hold those Premos.

Who do I trade in?
Well I am sure you have all read Fry’s article form yesterday. He has broken down all the rookies for us there and that should help you make the decision. But here are a few of my thoughts….
For trade ins there are 4 key tarkets as I see it. Here are my thoughts on them.
Izak RankineThis kid can play. He has good job security and should make you some great cash if he can keep scoring like he did this week.
Sam Simpson. He scored brilliantly and really benefited from Duncan, Narkle and Stevens being out. While they are out he should have reasonable job security. I would take him for the quick cash grab.
Will DayDay is another great option. However, I am a little worried about his job security.
Andrew McPherson. He has great job security with the Crows playing the kids. However, I don’t know that he will be a consistently great scorer.

Fixture Issues

We still don’t have any clarity on the fixture. Which means that we still can’t plan ahead too far for matchups. But the one thing we have some clarity on now is that things are going to be compressed and given the little chat from Gil yesterday it looks like it could be compressed more and for a bit longer to get through the minor round in a real hurry. This means that we will have games on from Thursdays through to Mondays, that is pretty much a given but now we have heard from the AFL just last night that there is likely to be 33 games across 19 days. The ‘bonanza’ as the AFL are calling it is set to start on Wednesday 29 July, just two days after the conclusion of round 8. This means that we will have even less time to consider things between rounds. But hey, less time to stare at terrible scores right! The article also talks about byes etc throughout that period too. At this early stage there isn’t much in regards to details but just be prepared for absolute carnage at selection and quick turnarounds on lockouts. As we know more here at DTTalk we will obviously bring you the best analysis that we can (makes us sound like real reporters doesn’t it). Sorry I can’t bring you much more thoughts on this, it literally popped up in my twitter feed as I was writing this (well it may have been there for a while but that is when I saw it).

The only certainty is that as more rounds get released to us, the more we can work out who teams have left to play. We know everyone will play everyone once. So at this point we know that a team like Port for example (only picking on them as I know exactly who they have played so far off the top of my head) have only got Melbourne teams plus Sydney left to play as they have played every other interstate side. So if you have been keeping track of the fixture you can work out who has an easier run still to come and who doesn’t (I think Port fall into that category of harder run still to come).

The need to have bench cover also makes using loopholes dangerous. The only ‘safe’ place to do it is in the rucks. Other than that you are playing roulette as to whether or not you will need cover. Not saying don’t do it, but proceed with caution.

Image

Fyfe Lyfe

So we all saw Fyfe return after just the one week off. He didn’t have a big game and spent a lot of time up forward in the second half. There has been a lot of chatter around that he may well miss the derby. So just be ready for that to eventuate. He had further scans and apparently they didn’t come up too well.

Things To Remember

• Things are going to change this season and they are going to change fast. There is nothing we can do about it and very little the AFL can do, just roll with it.
  • With a compressed fixture we may be more of a chance to see rookies debuting as some others struggle to come up with short turn arounds.
  • Short turn arounds mean a higher chance of soft tissue injuries. Another reason to keep an eye on your bench.
  • Remember to just enjoy this season, at least we have one!

That’s about it from me this week everyone, I hope you have a great weekend of fantasy footy and hopefully we have some good games to watch. Everyone keeps saying the games are no good to watch. But I am taking it the other way, at least there is some footy to watch.  To all my Victorian readers, stay home and stay safe. Hopefully you will all be back out and about again soon. Best of luck and see you all again next Thursday.

llizardofoz

July 16, 2020 at 8:05 am

Good point. At least we do have footy.

The Cricket

July 16, 2020 at 2:31 pm

👍

Polomiko28

July 16, 2020 at 9:48 am

Have 418k from last week and struggling on how to spend it. Looking to trade Cripps, Starcevich or Taylor.
    Option 1

Also Haynes or Lloyd?

Campbell

July 16, 2020 at 10:12 am

Lloyd. Hold those premiums. I’m stuck with Byrne Jones🤦

the internet

July 16, 2020 at 11:42 am

option 3. Why Menegola? That’s going from frypan into the fire. Lloyd: far better scorer over a sustained period. Haynes only relevant this year

Polomiko28

July 16, 2020 at 12:24 pm

I reckon with Duncan and Narkle out, he could benefit. Who would you recommend. I’m thinking about trading Cripps due to him being targeted for a tag and his high break even.

Doug

July 23, 2020 at 8:15 am

Can you hold onto Taylor? With the injuries at the Roos, he could be good for a couple more 60+ scores.. Any non playing rookie you can move to Rankine?

thebopper58

July 16, 2020 at 10:01 am

Polomiko

Lend me some :)
    Not sure as Lloyd plays GCS which strangely is his worst team so maybe 2 to upgrade next week

Sadly i’ve got my own problems with my trading extremely cursed
    I trade out an injured player then bring in a player who gets injured themselves eg – Zorko to McCluggage then Rowell to JPK
    I’ve got Duncan Sloane and Ward to patch up then of course Young
    In summary my side is S#@T
    I don’t mind Krispy Kremes!!!!!
    Good luck

Polomiko28

July 16, 2020 at 10:06 am

I don’t envy your position at all! Might need to field a few donuts!

MrWorldWide305

July 16, 2020 at 11:07 am

Does the new fixture favour bringing in Dons & Dees players? I’ve got 3 options below, depending on teams

A) Ceglar & Pittonet > Simpson & Gawn
    B) Cegar & Brown > Treloar & Simpson
    C) Brown & Taylor > Simpson & Rankine

the internet

July 16, 2020 at 11:44 am

option A: Max is on fire. Treloar could break at any time: needs some sustained gametime before I’d consider him again

kingy112

July 16, 2020 at 12:17 pm

Get the hold premos sentiment but Dusty > Whitfield sounds like an exception. Thoughts?

Rob Canning

July 16, 2020 at 4:27 pm

General rule would say hold Dusty as a long-termer, but you’re right that Whitfield has a higher cieling and probably average… but it’s a luxury, so only if you have no other issues to fix.

James

July 16, 2020 at 5:00 pm

Depending on the issues that your side has dictates the urgency of such a trade. Are there any rookies that can be brought in this week as cash generation or injuries or non playing rookies in your side? This could take a higher priority than such a trade. It is a luxury at this point to be doing such a trade, and will likely have a positive net result.

The Cricket

July 16, 2020 at 2:30 pm

Thanks Dunny, good article, handy tips for these “unprecedented times” lol
    The world’s in a sorry state and there’s lots to be worried and pissed off about, but we’ve still got the footy!
    So we make the most of what we’ve got, keep laughing and enjoy the wild ride that is Fantasy 2020 🤣😂
    Have fun everyone!

Jol

July 16, 2020 at 3:39 pm

I expect Collingwood and Geelong to have the first bye in round 10 as they return from Perth. Similar for the Hawks and Blues in round 12. It’s makes a lot of sense to have 2 teams on a bye per week from round 10 onward meaning all teams will have completed their bye prior by round 17 leaving all teams to play round 18.

James

July 16, 2020 at 4:22 pm

Def: Doherty, Houston, Crisp, Weller, Sicily, Starcevich (Rivers, Goddard)
    Mid: Neale, Mitchell, Whitfield, Macrae, Coniglio, Tom Green, Pickett, Serong (Hibberd (ess), McHenery)
    Ruck: Gawn, Pittonett (Cameron)
    Fwd: Petracca, D Smith, Heeney, Sympkin, Buddarick, M King (Aarts, Rankine)
    Utility: Maginness
    Cash: 11k

Option 1:
    Out: Heeney and Starcevich
    In: Simpson and Lloyd

Option 2:
    Out: Heeney and Pittonett
    In: Simpson and Grundy

I believe that Grundy will outscore Lloyd from here on, but my concern is rumours surrounding Starcevich being dropped, which would mean a 0 on field if I get Grundy.

Are there other options that I haven’t seen?

Harry

July 16, 2020 at 6:18 pm

DUNNY FFS It’s JACK STEVEN NOT STEVENS!!!

Jay

July 16, 2020 at 7:59 pm

ROB or Gawn

emily

July 17, 2020 at 9:06 am

Gawn, if uve got the cash. Not sure on ROB BE.
      Depends on how ur team looks, if u want to pay up for Gawn or save.

from the foot fetish girl

mmmmm feet in peanutbutter

Doug

July 23, 2020 at 8:21 am

Who should get dropped for Day??

B. Starcevich +198k – topped out almost and losing $$