Cheat Sheet

Friday Fantasy Cheat Sheet – Rd. 8

Get your round eight selection info, trade tips, rookie rankings, captains picks and more.

Welcome to a new article for DT Talk this season; the Friday Fantasy Cheat Sheet.

Ben of the @BeaufortBeaus takes a look at the most popular trades of Round 8 so far.

Most Traded In

It was a stressful partial lockout with a heap of Suns and Dogs putting up their hand for selection. Hugh Greenwood rewarded coaches with a VC-worthy 96, while Tim English has ruined the round for his new owners with a pathetic 41.

Max Gawn is a must-have for coaches who can afford the enormous price tag, while Derek Eggmolesse-Smith is an excellent value option in defence while he fills in for Bachar Houli. Stay away from Peter Ladhams though – Scott Lycett is Port Adelaide’s number one ruck and will be returning from injury soon.

1. Izak Rankine (FWD, $266,000)
  2. Will Day (DEF, $316,000)
  3. Callum Porter (MID, $170,000)
  4. Hugh Greenwood (MID/FWD, $711,000)
  5. Tim English (RUCK, $732,000)
  6. Matthew Ling (DEF, $170,000)
  7. Max Gawn (RUCK, $943,000) 👍
  8. Derek Eggmolesse-Smith (DEF, $370,000) 👍
  9. Sam Simpson (MID, $305,000)
  10. Peter Ladhams (RUCK/FWD, $441,000) 🚩

Most Traded Out

Coaches are rightly jumping off the Mr Worldwide train, but what a ride it’s been! Hopefully you weren’t sucked into the second most popular trade of the week though, and traded Marc Pittonet to a better option than Speakano.

Meanwhile owners of Jy Simpkin were scared off by the news that he might miss Saturday’s game, but reverse that trade if it isn’t affected by the partial lockout – a North Melbourne assistant coach said that he’ll be right to play.

1. Marc Pittonet (RUCK, $475,000)
  2. Brandon Starcevich (DEF, $369,000)
  3. Connor Budarick (MID/FWD, $334,000)
  4. Jarrod Brander (DEF/FWD, $354,000) ✂️
  5. Max King (FWD, $317,000)
  6. Trent Rivers (DEF/MID, $296,000) ✂️
  7. Justin McInerney (MID, $282,000) ✂️
  8. Jy Simpkin (MID/FWD, $671,000) 👀
  9. Hayden Young (DEF, $355,000) 🚑
  10. Tyler Brown (MID, $263,000)

Trade Targets

1. Andrew McPherson, DEF, $222K
  2. Will Day, DEF, $316K
  3. Sam Simpson, MID, $305K
  4. Jake Aarts, FWD, $254K
  5. Marlion Pickett, MID, $354K

We have to pay a little extra for this week’s list of rookie trade targets, with a lack of reliable $170K players around (sorry Matthew Ling). Some may squeeze themselves into the Sunday teams, but at this rate if you want a reliable rook, it’s going to cost ya. Midfield maestro’s Sam Simpson and Marlion Pickett will both set you back over $300K, however, their previous scores and their negative breakevens mean there’s a recipe to success if you want to plug them onto your field and play.

In the backline, the cheaper Andrew McPherson gets the nod over Will Day for a few reasons. The return of Jack Scrimshaw makes me wonder how much footy will come Day’s way and while he hasn’t shown it yet, I’m expecting McPherson to come to the party with a decent score any week now. Rounding out the top-5 is Tiger Jake Aarts who only managed 46 points last week, despite having 5 shots on goal. As Richmond’s injury list remains extensive, he should hang around and make money on most coaches benches for the next few weeks/months.

For more on then check out next week’s Cash Cow’s article! ✌️

Starting Rankings

Based on matchups, role and scoring potential here’s a roadmap to how you should start your rookies on your field in Round 8.

DEFENDERS

1. Lachie Ash
  2. Andrew McPherson
  3. Will Day

Desperate times: Brandon Starcevich, Will Hamill, Ben McKay, Matthew Ling, Fisher Mcasey,

MIDFIELDERS

1. Marlion Pickett
  2. Sam Simpson
  3. Noah Anderson (54)
  4. Dylan Stephens

Desperate times: Caleb Serong, Harley Bennell, Ned McHenry, Callum Porter (30)

RUCKS

1. N/A

Desperate times: Luke Jackson, Darcy Cameron, Tristian Xerri

FORWARDS

1. Curtis Taylor
  2. Izak Rankine (52)
  3. Jake Aarts

Desperate times: Shane McAdam, Mitch Georgiades, Connor Budarick (40), Max King

Let me say this in terms that addresses everyone’s questions, as no matter what I write here, people ask the following questions… based around VC options from last night.

“Do I take Macrae’s 102?”- Cal answers “YES”
“Do I take Swallow’s 98?”- Cal answers “YES”
“Do I take Greenwood 96?”- Cal answers “No – Just, but you certainly can”
“Do I take Bont’s 86?”- “No”

If I have answered NO to any of the questions above, or if I haven’t answered your question… please select from a captain below.

Now… I have Hugh and his 96 – right, and I’ll be taking Grundy instead. Call me a greedy Cal, but I will be hunting for something 15/20pts more.

1. Lachie Neale
  2. Brodie Grundy
  3. Max Gawn
  4. Adam Treloar
  5. Reilly O’Brien
  6. Lachie Whitfield
  7. Shaun Higgins
  8. Andrew Gaff
  9. Todd Goldstein
  10. Patrick Dangerfield

Click here to read Calvin’s weekly captains article.

Possibly a silly question. But weighing up Jake Lloyd, Nick Heynes or Callum Mills. Lloyd is mister consistent, but the most expensive, do I just have to have him?

@davymark1

Hey mate,

Not a silly question at all. Chasing the value pick is often a great play but when we are talking about a top two player in his position like Lloyd, there are a different set of rules. All names you mentioned are viable options and you could easily throw Sic Dawg Sicily in that mix but on this occasion I am saying to pay up for the class of Lloyd, he is a must have.

Click here to read Roy’s weekly trade article.

DraftKings is now available in Australia and we’re excited to have them on board as our DFS partner. They have just launched their AFL contests and there is something there for everyone. Register for DraftKings by clicking here.

Some of the key ‘AFL Showdown’ contests for tonight include:

• BIG GPP – $20,000 Saw Tooth ($5k for first) – $12 entry
  • HIGH ROLLER 1 – $6,300 Torpedo Kick – $100 entry
  • HIGH ROLLER 2 – $5,700 Specky (only 4 teams) – $1,500 entry

Here’s my line up for Friday night’s $20k Saw Tooth. Lockout 7:50pm AEST.

Global contest. Entry fees and prizes are in USD. Not available to residents of SA. T&Cs apply. See DraftKings.com for details. 18+ Gamble Responsibly. Think! About your choices. Call Gambling Help 1800 858 858 www.gamblinghelponline.org.au

#1 Draft Pick Crows

July 24, 2020 at 11:49 am

Check the final teams for McPherson. He’s on an extended bench that includes Jake Kelly. Can’t see both of them playing.

GameofSloanes

July 24, 2020 at 12:19 pm

They’ve both played the last 2 weeks not sure why that would change. Others far more likely to be dropped particularly given that the Crows are trying to get games into the kids

Mad Fish

July 24, 2020 at 11:56 am

Do I trade in Egg or Mayes + $50k?

Carts

July 24, 2020 at 12:05 pm

Jy Simpkin is an in now. No idea what happened there!

4. Will

Will

July 24, 2020 at 12:28 pm

The Jy Simpkin situation is a joke, bloody thursday games, with 1 hour notice to lockout wreck it for everyone. How many people traded Simpkin to Rankine and are now screwed?
    Also, Greenwood’s score is a 120 BCV, who the hell in their right mind wouldn’t lock and load that shit

CondomHead FitzSimons

July 24, 2020 at 1:19 pm

I read Simpkin 3 weeks syndesmoses, nek minnit he’s in!

Belly

July 24, 2020 at 1:58 pm

This is just the start, we’ll soon be trying to somehow guess teams 5 days ahead…
      Still no explanation as to how the game will work either….

The Cricket

July 24, 2020 at 2:52 pm

Did you see the article yesterday on afl.com? It’s headed “Explainer: AFL Fantasy makes key changes …”

Belly

July 24, 2020 at 4:49 pm

Thanks mate, no I didn’t see it they snuck that through right around teams coming out… I’ll take a look.
          Odd that they didn’t seem it worthy of explaining on here..

The Cricket

July 25, 2020 at 1:38 pm

It’s worthwhile checking the “News” tab on the app for latest afl.com fantasy articles 👍 (took me ages to realise it was there lol)

Warnie

July 25, 2020 at 6:24 pm

Unfortunately I don’t have time like I used to to write separate pieces for DT Talk. We work pretty hard in our limited part-time capacity with the AFL to get all of the info out there via that platform – and smash social media with it (make sure you are following on Facebook and Twitter as we are very active there).

We do have a twitter feed on the front page of this site so you can see stuff there if you don’t have twitter yourself.

Jimmy45

July 24, 2020 at 12:58 pm

Bring in Pickett or day? Who you think will have better Job security

Ron Burgundy And The Channel 2 News Team

July 24, 2020 at 1:16 pm

At the moment I’d have to say Pickett if he can maintain his form from last week that’s just my opinion, if he plays midfield more often.
      Who do you suggest to bring in M7 ? Sam Simpson or Sam Mayes ?

Jimmy45

July 24, 2020 at 3:18 pm

Simpson, cats have more injuries and older players so will get more games

Norm

July 24, 2020 at 1:18 pm

Hey guys need some help i have traded starcevich to stoddart with my 1st trade but he is out so i am trying to reverse the trade as they have not played yet but it will no let me do it . Is there something I am doing wrong or is it going to have to stay like that ? My other to trades played last night.

Anthony

July 24, 2020 at 1:34 pm

If your other trades required the money from the stoddart trade it can’t be reversed, just unlucky :(

Norm

July 24, 2020 at 1:54 pm

Yep well that makes sense thanks Anthony mate and English was In on that trade makes it even worse sh/t.

The Cricket

July 24, 2020 at 1:42 pm

Did you shift Starc’s position in any way before you made the trade, that also involved shifting players from last night’s teams? If you did, then because they’re locked where they are now, you won’t be able to reverse trade Starc back to where he was before.
      Otherwise, maybe try the website instead of the app (or vice versa)?

Gavin

July 24, 2020 at 1:23 pm

In Formula 1 racing, the expression goes: “You cant win the race at the first corner, but you can certainly lose it.”

If you have Macrae, Swallow or Greenwood as VC, but roll the dice with a Gawn, Grundy or Neale, you wont be winning yourself the car, but you could certainly lose it.

The Cricket

July 24, 2020 at 1:57 pm

I hear you! In round six, in a fit of bravado, I decided not to take Neale’s 98 and wait for Grundy to pump out another massive score … he managed only 53 and I lost my matchup.
      The car is an illusion. A hat would be nice. Finishing this Fantasy season NOT on the bottom of my league ladder will suffice.
      If I make it to league finals it’ll be a bloody miracle :)

Doug

July 24, 2020 at 2:07 pm

Day or the Egg??

Doug

July 24, 2020 at 4:00 pm

Listened to the audio, but had to go Day… The extra 54k for next week projects as the difference between upgrading McHenry to Jelly/Danger/Shiel/Macrae as opposed to Cripps/Mrouch/Higgins

Andy

July 24, 2020 at 2:12 pm

The English have a lot to answer for.

Charlie's Angels

July 24, 2020 at 2:23 pm

Thoughts on James Bell from the Swans? Averaged 80+ in NEAFL and named on the wing, nice alternative to Frederick with forward status.

11. Fooz

Fooz

July 24, 2020 at 2:40 pm

Okay peeps. I’ve hit and impasse.
    1 trade left after bringing in Huge Greenwood for Simpkin (not trusting anything – and happy to have made the trade). Also – Brown to Porter…

Currently:
    D: Doc, Crisp, Houston, Corr, Starc, Hammill (Rivers, Mcasey)
    M: Macrae, Zerrett, Viney, Greenwood, Titch, Cogs, Stephens, Simpson (Serong, Porter)
    R: Gawn, Grundy (Cameron)
    F: Tracca, Whitfield, Brayshaw, Bailey Smith, Bewley, Taylor, (King, McAdam)
    U: Xerri

Too many issues. Holding Starc atm.

Ling is tempting to bring in – even if only for a week or two, as a cash grab from Mcasey. So do I bring him in? With $91K spare, I can’t get anyone up for a decent upgrade (including Corr, who’s BE is keeping him in my side)… So.

1) Mcasey > Ling (build a Warne Chest for next week)
    2) Hammill > Ling (ditto) … who scores more between Hammill or Mcasey?
    3) Serong > ?
    4) other?

Cheers

Fooz

July 24, 2020 at 2:59 pm

Hmm. Serong to Bell makes more cash………

QuenchMyThirst

July 24, 2020 at 3:29 pm

Nice article, haven’t read in a while and the newer format is great

Jakob Skrnjug

July 24, 2020 at 3:33 pm

Ash or Day, need one

emily

July 24, 2020 at 5:02 pm

I’d go day on this one his JS seems pretty good according to what Clarkson blurted our during the week and has a good scoring potential . I’m giving Rozee one last chance to prove himself , any less than 70 this week is unacceptable for a rising star runner up. Or he will become sidebum very quick next week. Over and out

emily

July 24, 2020 at 9:38 pm

hey another chick on here and same name hey emily :)

from the foot fetish girl

mmmmmm feet in peanut butter would u do it emily

llizardofoz

July 24, 2020 at 4:00 pm

Just read the AFL’s changes article. It works for me after the course of action
    taken on the Ess v M postponed game.
    SC and RDT have painted themselves into a bit of a corner.
    When this game is eventually played things like the captain and changed personnel
    are going to pose probs.

jay

July 24, 2020 at 4:52 pm

grundy and A.Mcperson
    or
    ROB and W.Day

Dallas

July 24, 2020 at 6:20 pm

ROB has a nice matchup this week – and then has Goldy, Max and Grundy on the trot.

Lewie-14

July 24, 2020 at 5:07 pm

Serong to Simpson for his $$ rise but have to hold Pittonet or Rivers to close and Pitt to ROB ?
    Don’t wanna miss out on simpsons price rise either !!

Brodie

July 24, 2020 at 6:23 pm

Starc to Day or McPherson?

Belly

July 24, 2020 at 7:11 pm

I went with Day, just seems a better player when watching them both and should average higher

Brucey Don't Like Rusty

July 24, 2020 at 6:21 pm

Play Simpson or Pickett ?

Belly

July 24, 2020 at 7:12 pm

Simpson for me, I don’t trust Pickett to back it up

Andy

July 24, 2020 at 7:12 pm

I might be wrong, but I don’t think the egg will do it again. It might be a bit like the hype around English.

Butch

July 24, 2020 at 7:35 pm

Question for the Tiger fans, who normally plays on Toby Greene?

emily

July 24, 2020 at 9:34 pm

to answer your question Butch, at the moment no 1 is playing on Greene lol, 4 goals and still counting

from the foot fetish girl

mmmm feet in bake beans

Andy

July 24, 2020 at 10:16 pm

Emily are you a tranny ?? If so I would like to know you more

emily

July 24, 2020 at 10:21 pm

no lol, andy i’m a young lady, would u like my feet though

from the foot fetish girl

Andy

July 25, 2020 at 4:17 pm

I would love too check them out Emily thanks for that it’s one of my fetish for an old timer like me

Jason M

July 24, 2020 at 11:21 pm

Eggcellent stuff Warnie.

emily

July 24, 2020 at 11:28 pm

did many people have egg-head tonight, I thought he would be a 1 hit wonder,
    and to much dollars for the output.

from the foot fetish girl

pete

July 25, 2020 at 12:02 am

Egg-molester !!

Andy

July 25, 2020 at 10:38 am

See my prediction above. The egg was already cracked.

Butch

July 25, 2020 at 12:32 pm

I considered bringing him in, but got cold feet because of his price and the thought that he might line up on Toby, which he did at times. To be honest he looked ok in the second half and his kicking is elite. The draw doesn’t get any easy for Richmond though with Bulldogs, Lions, Power and Suns over the next 4. So happy I went with Day at this stage!

Harry

July 25, 2020 at 4:44 pm

What’s day on now big shot ?

Andy

July 25, 2020 at 2:25 pm

Pittonet has English’s total score at halftime…

emily

July 25, 2020 at 5:03 pm

Glad I got rid of MWW and Sympkin.
    Got Gawn and Rankine for them

at the moment Rankine beat Sympkin 52-44
    and MWW 64, I think Gawn can get more than that. So I’m happy with my choice

from the foot fetish girl

mmmm feet in peanut butter

CJ

July 25, 2020 at 6:05 pm

Time to consider Zorko??

Thinking Cripps needs to go

Andy

July 25, 2020 at 6:06 pm

Lots of crap scores in my team so far: Docherty, Cripps, Day, English, C.Taylor, Stephens all disappointing. I think Cripps has to go, and Stephens can’t be trusted on the field.

emily

July 25, 2020 at 6:29 pm

yep a lot of crap this week Andy, I only have 2 of them so hope I can catch up in the rankings.

……….hey andy would u like my feet in a bucket of peanut butter, bake beans or snails

from the foot fetish girl

Andy

July 25, 2020 at 7:33 pm

Thanks, Emily, but I think I’ll just pass on that.

e

July 25, 2020 at 8:02 pm

lol andy

emily

July 26, 2020 at 8:32 pm

definitely did the right choice in getting rid of Sympkin and MWW
    to go to Rankine and Gawn,
    Paid up for Gawn and slapped the C on him woo hoo gamble paid off

from the foot fetish girl

jay

July 26, 2020 at 8:36 pm

That Bris v Melb was a great fantasy game to bring me back to par. 504 points from 4 players:
    Gawn (C) 206
    Lyons 121
    Tracca 92
    Viney 85

jay

July 26, 2020 at 8:40 pm

ouch.. those bastard statisticians just took away 2 points from my unique Lyon.

emily

July 26, 2020 at 9:48 pm

I was nearly the same jay, but didn’t have Lyons, nice unique, very nice,

from the foot fetish girl

mmmm feet in jelly

Doug

July 27, 2020 at 6:40 am

Even within 2020, this has been the biggest mind f*** of a week, up down up down up down…

Started down with English’s 41 for his first run in my team on Thursday while watching Rankine kick 1.4, then picked up with Cogs & Whits on Friday, then back down with Simpkin getting tagged (from what I could tell) and then got worse watching MWW outscore English (and the Doc).. Then just meh from new D6 Will Day (didn’t expect 8 marks again, but thought 2-3 tackles), and watching Wingard’s half time score knowing I traded him down to get up to English, then hopeful that Houston could get to his 3 game average, but not quite.. Then on Sunday, Ridley went alright and McGrath went BANG, but I left Hamill’s 69 on the pine for new guy Day, but that was somewhat offset by Brodie Smith.. Then back down with Grundy & Maynard, and then back up with Petracca and Neale, and finally back down again when I realised me putting the C on Lachie over Grundy hadn’t saved when I did it just before the game started on Friday (probably closed the app before it registered or something).. Hopeful that my 4 players tonight can atleast meet their average, collectively (Simpson is probably not topping 82, but I would think Serong would get over 45)..

So far at a tick over 1300 with my 3 trades from the weekend coming in at -43, if you include me putting the Hammer at D7 and the Captain kerfuffle, it’s a -114 on the round.. Saving grace is that I saved enough $$ to bump a rookie up to a premo (Dusty/Jelly/Macrae/Zerrett)..

Jason M

July 27, 2020 at 10:02 am

Surely its time to consider freshening things up with the Traders? Warnies scores this year for an ‘expert’ are inexcusable. Sorry they are. He may not be top 10,000 when its over..That means people who have stopped trading will beat him.

I think there should be a 4th and 5th trader (a lady and a non Caucasian for some diversity?). If the lowest score from the traders over a season is poorer then the ‘new trader’ then he or she gets relegated (with the opportunity to win his or her place back the following season).

I know Warnie will say ‘Corona ball’ but this excuse wears thin.

Ned Flanders

July 27, 2020 at 12:39 pm

Weren’t the traders also the hosts from hey hey it’s Saturday. I’m sure Warnie was plucka duck

Warnie

July 27, 2020 at 1:18 pm

Hi Ivor Mac. 🤦‍♂️

My stalker is back.

Love your idea, but that isn’t happening. I’ve signed a 38 year contract.

Sammy

July 27, 2020 at 11:20 am

Would you go
    1. Michael Hibbard from Melbourne to gaff or
    2. Curtis Taylor to Zorko

emily

July 27, 2020 at 8:09 pm

number 1, Gaff should have some games at home for a while.

from the foot fetish girl

mmmm feet in mash potato

Andy

July 27, 2020 at 4:37 pm

Great. Pendles out for at least four- another forced trade.