Cheat Sheet

Friday Fantasy Cheat Sheet – Rd. 3

Get your round three selection info, trade tips, captains picks and more.

Welcome to a new article for DT Talk this season; the Friday Fantasy Cheat Sheet.

There wasn’t too much to report out of team selection this week. Isaac Cumming being omitted affects 9% of Fantasy Classic coaches and Toby Green (13%) can be moved to Petracca or Smith which will free up a few dollars. Draft coaches will be frustrated by Stefan Martin‘s absence. All in all, it wasn’t a terrible night at selection. Be sure to check out the final team lists at 5pm AEST today to see if everyone makes the cut in your squad.

Ben of the @BeaufortBeaus takes a look at the most popular trades of Round 3 so far.

Most Traded In

Christian Petracca is looking like a must-have in the forward line following a dominant 108, but keep in mind that Bailey Smith‘s midfield role could be impacted by the inclusion of Tom Liberatore and Toby McLean. I’m also flagging that Jack Madgen has been dropped, so Jeremy Howe might be forced to play a lockdown role.

1. Bailey Smith (MID/FWD, $577,000) 🚩
  2. Christian Petracca (MID/FWD, $622,000) 👍
  3. Jeremy Howe (DEF, $586,000) 🚩
  4. Trent Rivers (DEF/MID, $224,000)
  5. Marc Pittonet (RUCK, $334,000)
  6. Brandon Starcevich (DEF/MID, $241,000)
  7. Darcy Cameron (RUCK/FWD, $197,000)
  8. Lachie Neale (MID, $815,000) 👍
  9. Laitham Vandermeer (MID/FWD, $190,000)
  10. Michael Walters (MID/FWD, $716,000) 👍

Most Traded Out

The midfield role is well and truly there for Brodie Smith but he needs to be cut immediately before his price plummets further. Dropping underperforming premiums Lachie Whitfield and Jack Macrae will massively improve the rest of your ground, while it’s a wait and see on whether trading out Dustin Martin is the right play after the shock injury news on Wednesday.

1. Dustin Martin (MID/FWD, $728,000) 👀
  2. Brodie Smith (DEF, $590,000) 👍
  3. Lachie Whitfield (MID/FWD, $800,000) 👍
  4. Dylan Roberton (DEF, $317,000)
  5. Tom Green (MID, $252,000)
  6. Jack Macrae (MID, $827,000) 👍
  7. Darcy MacPherson (MID/FWD, $602,000) 👍
  8. Sam Naismith ($314,000)
  9. Ben Cavarra (FWD, $173,000)
  10. Sam Jacobs (RUCK, $537,000) 👀

Trade Targets

1. Trent Rivers, DEF/MID, $224K
  2. Marc Pittonet, RUC, $334K
  3. Lachie Ash, DEF/MID, $264K
  4. Ned McHenry, MID, $184K
  5. Harley Bennell, MID, $224K

If he holds Michael Hibberd out of the team then Trent Rivers looms as the best trade target for the second straight week. I can’t argue with those taking the gamble on Mr Worldwide and newest Giants Lachie Ash should be a good plug and play rookie on debut tonight against the Digs. Both Ned McHenry (bench) and Harley Bennell (field) are still good downgrade options and keep your eye on Sam Flanders, Miles Bergman and/or Caleb Serong if they’re named for Sunday.

Starting Rankings

Based on matchups, role and scoring potential here’s a roadmap to how you should start your rookies on your field in Round 3.

DEFENDERS

FORWARDS

1. Curtis Taylor
  2. Connor Budarick
  3. Sam Flanders*

Desperate times: Max King, Laitham Vandermeer, Jacob Townsend

*no guarantee to play

Click here to read Fry’s weekly cash cows article.

The line sat at 85 as we hoped the pig, Tom Mitchell would get the job done. His 70 was well-below what we needed and therefore you must look elsewhere now. With that said, Isaac Smith (99), Wingard (87), Houli (86) and O’Meara (85) reached the mark, all scores I would be locking away if I had the choice.

From what is left, this is going to be tough. Grundy is usually the ‘go-to’ option but with a bruised knee and a tough match-up we are forced to look elsewhere from the list below. These are ranked in order as I would pick them… which means, I’ll be going with Coniglio this week although I still like a few other ahead of him.

1. Max Gawn
  2. Patrick Dangerfield
  3. Lachie Neale
  4. Taylor Adams
  5. Stephen Coniglio
  6. Andrew Gaff
  7. Lachie Whitfield
  8. Jake Lloyd
  9. Brodie Grundy
  10. Brad Crouch

Click here to read Calvin’s weekly captains article.

I’ve gone Macrae to McGrath because I can’t deal with that soap opera crap for another week. Not at his price. Good move? – @kentank87

It’s ridiculous that we are going through this sh*t with Macrae once again. We saw it as recently as last year when he was moved out of the guts and scored one hundred in six weeks. As soon as he went back in there, he dominated with 12 straight hundreds and only three of them were under 110. So the risk with trading him out is, he moves back in there and is once again the best scoring mid in the comp. BUT it’s hard to see that happening with Hunter’s vacant wing and now Libba has been named. As far as McGrath (Av. 90, BE 24) goes, I am a big fan and it’s another example of a player finally playing in their correct position. He is a great under-priced option.

Click here to read Roy’s weekly trade article.

DraftKings is now available in Australia and we’re excited to have them on board as our DFS partner. They have just launched their AFL contests and there is something there for everyone. Register for DraftKings by clicking here.

Some of the key ‘AFL Showdown’ contests for tonight include:

• BIG GPP – $60,000 Blinder ($20k for first) – $10 entry
  • HIGH ROLLER 1 – $8,000 Purple Patch – $88 entry
  • HIGH ROLLER 2 – $5,700 Specky (only 4 teams) – $1,500 entry
  • CHEAP FUN PLAY – $2,500 mini-MAX – $0.50 entry

Here’s my line up for Friday night’s $60k Blinder. Lockout 7:50pm AEST.

Global contest. Entry fees and prizes are in USD. Not available to residents of SA. T&Cs apply. See DraftKings.com for details. 18+ Gamble Responsibly. Think! About your choices. Call Gambling Help 1800 858 858 www.gamblinghelponline.org.au

Marcus

June 21, 2020 at 11:07 am

Was nearly going to Trade in Baily Smith for McCrae thank god I went with my thoughts instead of listening to someone else. I had a feeling Baily Smith wouldn’t score well against GWS I brought Howe into my side for Brody Smith which I’m happy with. Howe only scored 1 more point than Smith and I kept Schultz thinking he will have a different role now that Hogan gets a game.

David C

June 21, 2020 at 12:13 pm

Bailey smith didn’t score well because Libba was named.

David C

June 21, 2020 at 12:15 pm

Any updates on how Fantasy is going to deal with the cancelled game? Looks like SC and DT are going with a best 18 (like a bye round).

thebopper58

June 21, 2020 at 12:39 pm

Like Warnie i rarely agree with the TCW but he’s right in allocating projected scores instead of averages!!!

Good luck to us all in 2021 :)

Browny

June 21, 2020 at 12:46 pm

Last 5 game Ave I think is best

Warnie

June 21, 2020 at 3:46 pm

If the projections were something that I supported, it could have been a good idea… but they aren’t very good

The Chosen Won

June 21, 2020 at 3:56 pm

But you happy to charge money for them.. LOL

RIP Fantasy

Warnie

June 21, 2020 at 4:01 pm

I don’t.

What do you think I actually do? You know I am employed by AFL to provide content on the game. Fantasy Coach subscription is by the makers of the game, FanHub, who we have no affiliation with (apart from being told things, via our bosses) that we need to communicate.

I do, however, use the Fantasy Coach subscription for all of the things like breakevens, history, coaches choice and many things.

Please cancel your subscription so you don’t have that to comeback with in the future, even though it has nothing to do with us.

andyjh

June 22, 2020 at 11:23 am

I love all the peeps that actually think you run fantasy lol

thebopper58

June 21, 2020 at 12:50 pm

TCW example of Viney is quite true as Essendon are his worst opponent
    Scores of 81/74/64/55/108/59 and overall average of 73
    To be allocated 97 is quite generous
    Wonder who has Viney maybe the Warne Dawgs :)
    Whatever way it goes there’ll be winners and losers

The Chosen Won

June 21, 2020 at 2:56 pm

Wouldn’t surprise me if he also has Gawn as Captain!

I want the $19.95 i paid for Assistant Coach i feel i have been disadvantaged by this poor decision it’s no longer a level playing field, You cannot have people who have an influence on the game playing in it that’s when bad choices are made….

Like today!

RIP Fantasy

Warnie

June 21, 2020 at 3:37 pm

Yep, all decisions were made based on my team!

Squid

June 21, 2020 at 3:40 pm

No kidding, this is not fair and I certainly don’t like it but something needed to happen. I can’t see viney petracca and even zerret & Gawn to an extent maintaining such an output so those with them are just getting an even further leg up over the rest of the comp which I remind you does actually have serious financial gain for the winners (though I suspect the traders are ineligible for prizes). You and I however Chosen have none of the good and a bit of the bad. Rivers is fair enough though could have improved but Bennell I fielded expecting increased game time from 50% and extra score because he is a gun still and if fit will score well. Reckon your 44 for Townsend is pretty handy though and will just get you over the line in our match up ;)

Good luck, you’ll need it against the mighty Squids!

The Chosen Won

June 21, 2020 at 3:57 pm

Going to be a close match up i need a win lol

Good Luck

andyjh

June 22, 2020 at 11:31 am

Chosen stop whining & stick to RDT mate.

Iridium192

June 21, 2020 at 12:55 pm

Why aren’t the Victorian clubs in isolation from the community like the West Australian clubs are in Queensland. With ZBT being caught out with a close encounter, Kozi catching an UBER home from a night out and now McKenna going to a home open, apparently. The AFL rabbits on about the integrity of the game, yet again smacks of double standards. West Coast and Fremantle are living in isolation, so in a fair and equal environment, why aren’t the other clubs. This would not have happened if that was the case. Just saying, It is AFL. I am sure the “A” stands for Australian. No matter what call the various Fantasy games apply to this situation, it will not be be fair for all, but a decision has to be made. Whatever that is, the blame sits squarely on the shoulders of the AFL for not applying the same restrictions on ALL players, not just a selected few clubs.

Squid

June 21, 2020 at 3:17 pm

You can’t really be surprised when non Victorian teams are still referred to as interstate teams by the official afl media, how does that make any sense. It is a joke and frankly insulting, hopefully this is enough to finally steer the AFL away from the blatant Victoriacentric attitude which is one of the worst parts of national competition.

thebopper58

June 21, 2020 at 2:28 pm

AFL making Essendon to field a deleted team over the next two weeks as any player who came in connect with McKenna to self isolate
    Bring back any memories???

Iridium192

June 21, 2020 at 2:49 pm

If they can’t get their players to toe the line and adhere to the rules, so be it. Watch the cry when they don’t have 3 or 4 first picked players available.

thebopper58

June 21, 2020 at 2:35 pm

From a photo it looks like Hurley Saad Hooker Ridley Guelfi maybe the ones

The Chosen Won

June 21, 2020 at 3:59 pm

Great work Sportsdeck…

While we appreciate there is no one single solution that will please everybody, we have not made this decision lightly. We are unfortunately dealing with an unprecedented normal where matches can be cancelled at short notice and mid-round. Dream Team will NEVER substitute or award a known, pre-determined set of points (such as averages or projections), which don’t represent an actual match performance and may be used to an advantage – impacting the integrity of fantasy team scoring.

RIP Fantasy

Warnie

June 21, 2020 at 4:04 pm

You should check out the SuperCoach social media around this decision…

The Chosen Won

June 21, 2020 at 4:17 pm

What is SuperCoach?

RIP Fantasy

Browny

June 21, 2020 at 10:59 pm

When u get your refund back bye some cement an harden the f..k up chosen one 😭

andyjh

June 22, 2020 at 11:29 am

I couldnt care less how the 3 formats are handling it. 3 seperate games, 3 seperate rules, keeps it interesting. Everyone is in the same boat so it doesnt matter what rules they come up with, as long as we have a game to play thats all i care about.

Brucey Don't Like Rusty

June 21, 2020 at 5:00 pm

Happy with Rowell DT Cappy

Jacko

June 21, 2020 at 10:44 pm

I know the decision has been made about the Essendon Melbourne players. But just out of curiosity why didn’t fantasy go down an epl model. I just don’t understand how the players are going be given a score and then play twice. What will happen then? Average score for the two games they play?

Maybe it’s an opportunity for the bench to be flexible and follow the epl dream team where you rank your bench players so they come on in that order to fill the holes. It would mean that you might get an extra midfielder or what ever on but I think it’s a better option than making up a score for a player. Would add to the element of what looks like the inevitable double game week captain and player options.

Just feel as though this was the more obvious choice as epl has games postponed all the time and moved due to cup games so this model would work perfectly for AFL fantasy.

Just food for thought and possibly some good content for the podcast tomorrow.

Jason M

June 22, 2020 at 1:15 am

I think top 18 would have been more fair. I have Andrew McGrath, Viney and Petrecca on my team. So I get nearly 300 for that!?. I have buyers remorse with Viney, yet now I get rewarded for my stupidity?

Sadly the fantasy season is done. There is now a massive asterisk. We could have a crazy scenario where Essendons players have to self isolate for two weeks thus ruining their season, as that probably costs them top 8.

I think the fantasy season should be canceled along with the AFL season. We can’t have winners that were lucky they didn’t get sick. Could you imagine a scenario in grand final week where a player (on a team that are favorites for the title) gets ill and the other stars need to self isolate, thus meaning they have to play their second team in a grand final!

Call it over guys.

llizardofoz

June 22, 2020 at 5:30 am

Before I saw or read anything I thought that this was the best solution.
    When the game E v M is played it’s a non- fixture for AF.
    RDT and Supercoach look to be a shemozzle.

Doug

June 22, 2020 at 6:50 am

Man, it’s only a f***ing game, and DT/SC is only a game based on a game for fecks sake..

I enjoy it, play every year, I also enjoy the Traders and all the other articles written on DTT, but seeing the anger and vitriol from people on here would make me laugh if it wasn’t so pathetic.

Daz

June 22, 2020 at 9:37 am

I think the AF outcome is way better then the SC debacle, congrats to all involved. Pay averages/projections and move on, there game in the future will not count. This positive test may not be the last so let’s move on and roll with the times.

andyjh

June 22, 2020 at 11:25 am

Yep its a good standard to set & hopefully this will be the consistent rule if this happens again.

Andy

June 22, 2020 at 10:52 am

What happened to Rozee? He was going well before this round.

Ron Burgundy and the channel 2 news team

June 22, 2020 at 4:26 pm

I could only imagine it was the leg he copped to the jaw or the fact he can’t handle wet conditions. I didn’t watch the game but I have him but will hold for another week with duursma our

Andy

June 22, 2020 at 1:00 pm

Maybe the scores could be worked out by consulting the texts of Nostradamus?

Daz

June 22, 2020 at 1:35 pm

Lockout ending?

PowerAde

June 22, 2020 at 3:07 pm

call season off and award Port premiership thx.