The Thursday Scramble

The Thursday Scramble: Round 9

How’s your bench looking? Who do you upgrade first? I’m here to help

Is there anything else that the Fantasy Gods can throw at us this season? We have had injuries (and plenty of them), we have had suspensions (Danger has had both of these so far) and now we have had an injury in a bar fight. Seriously what else can we face this year! I am just waiting for the locust plague!

Anyway, on with this week. And let me apologise for this week being a little shorter, unfortunately I am a bit strapped for time.

Show us ya Bench!

This has been a talking point over recent weeks and the problem is only getting worse! Many teams are facing issues of having too many non-playing players on the bench. As we head towards the byes it is now important that we take note of who we have on the bench and their likelihood of providing us a heartbeat in a few weeks time.

Many people have been asking whether they should be continuing to downgrade and upgrade or whether they should focus on their bench players exclusively. The short answer is both.

Do I sound like I have lost the plot? Yup. Do I make sense, Yup.  Here is what I think.

What happens when we do an upgrade/downgrade? When we do that we are taking a risky rookie/mid pricer off field and when we do that we are downgrading a rookie to a new one. The theory here is that when you are doing this downgrade you are bringing in a quality rookie that is going to have some job security. You want to find someone that has come in that is going to have a bit of safety whether that be through another player’s injury or suspension. Take Riley Collier-Dawkins for example. He comes in to a Tigers side that is without Trent Cotchin and is now without Shai Bolton. So he has himself some nice security for a few weeks. Similarly Peter Ladhams is a pretty safe option for the next four weeks with Lycett out of the Power side. These are the opportunities you need to take to improve your bench.

Can you do some double downgrades to achieve this? Yes of course you can. This is one very valid strategy. But just remember that each week you do that you are not going to be improving your side and it is one more week that everyone else has more opportunity to go further beyond your score. If you take this strategy then what you need to do is make sure you use that cash the following week to do a double upgrade. And if you are double upgrading some weaker bench players and putting the new players on field, you have once again managed to improve not only your field players but also your bench by potentially moving guys like James Jordon and Tom Powell to the bench.

What about the spuds that aren’t getting a game (yes I am looking at you here Tom Highmore). Well it isn’t their fault completely, some coaches just don’t see the same talent that us Fantasy coaches do. These guys that haven’t risen in value because they haven’t played are also not likely to be losing any money either for that very same reason. It is because of that fact that I like to leave them where they are for as long as I can. I would much rather trade out the guys that have maxed out in value and are playing and are going to lose value the following week than one that is just going to hold station with their price. If I am then in desperate need of bringing a rookie in during the byes and have no one else to trade, then I might look at the non playing guys as a last resort.

Bye Bye Bye

Yes there are three of them. And yes they are a nightmare to navigate. But remember that we are only looking for a best 18 on field and as mentioned above this is where your depth is really tested. The first thing I suggest you do is have a read of Trent’s Pre Bye Planning article which will be one of a couple he will write. He looks at the players that you should be focusing on bringing in and then next week he will look at those you may want to avoid.

My theory in regards to the byes is still the same. You won’t get a full premium squad on the field each week and don’t burn trades sideways trading someone that you consider a keeper just because they are on a bye. Remember the old Meatloaf’s wise words that 2 out of 3 ain’t bad. Aim for two really good weeks. You will find that all of the top coaches really make their move over the bye period and your aim should be to not only improve your team across the byes but also to improve your ranking.

Jump into the game and use the bye planner to see how many players you have available each week and start from there.

Things to Remember

• Through adversity comes opportunity. When there are injuries it means that other rookies will get a game (hopefully)
  • Plan your trades a few weeks in advance now but don’t be so locked in that you can’t change them.
  • Be ready for Geelong late outs from round 10 onwards.

Hey everyone, have a great weekend and hopefully your team is doing much better than mine. My Supercoach team seems to be doing ok but my AFL Fantasy one isn’t having a great season! I will be looking to answer some of your questions in next week’s Scramble so have a think about them in readiness, I will tweet out midweek. And thanks again for those helping people out in the comments, often I can’t get into the comments during the day as I am too busy with work so I appreciate that you all jump in and give each other a hand. Until next week have fun and enjoy the footy.

A passionate Port Adelaide Fan who simply loves footy! That is how I would describe myself. Catch my weekly article "The Thursday Scramble" with all the last minute things to think about for the weekend Follow: @pkd73.

1. Will

May 13, 2021 at 10:19 am

“use the bye planner to see how many players you have available each week and start from there”

is that part of the premium subscription?

• Choggie

May 13, 2021 at 2:45 pm

Which trade option would you do?

1. Kosi > rook and Zwill > Mills
      2. Kosi > rook and Zwill > Lloyd
      3. Kosi > rook and Zwill > Kelly

• Jezza

May 13, 2021 at 6:12 pm

Choggie that is a tough one, depends on you weakest lines aswell.
        They are all great picks but I would be swaying towards JKelly or Lloyd

• Aby Benny

May 13, 2021 at 8:39 pm

I’d go Mills or Kelly

2. Leon

May 13, 2021 at 12:35 pm

Paid Fantasy coach projections…ISSUES!

Can someone please explain when you click on a player to see there breakdown and projected score and price movements, why the first screen projected amount differs from the projected amount in the ‘upcoming fixtures’ column.

ie. Aaron hall has Rd.9 BE of 38 and projected score of 88 for a projected price change of $38k.
    Yet under his upcoming fixtures column for the same next round 9 game it shows a projected price change of $68k???

Why the big difference for the same Rd.9 game? Confusing… which value is correct?

It’s the same for every player..no 2 projected values are the same within their profile for that week!

I pay for this bloody subscription so it should make some sense?! HMPH!

• Belly

May 13, 2021 at 3:08 pm

Just footywire, gives you BE and predicted rises etc

3. Yucky and Messy

May 13, 2021 at 1:39 pm

Leon, if it’s all too hard for you, then don’t play

• Leon

May 13, 2021 at 6:11 pm

Onc the contrary, not hard game at all.. its the incorrect data (paid for) that’s being provided based on the ‘secret BE formula’…

So being advised 2 different $$ projected increases based on exact same BE and projected scores is just plain WRONG!

Its not so hard.. except for the creators of the players profiles it seems!

Upshot is… MY WASTED MONEY!

4. Bill

May 13, 2021 at 2:22 pm

It’s the projected scores themselves that annoy me. They’re never right, and always in your face.

For this reason I won’t be joining Fantasy Coach again. You can always get the B.E’s elsewhere for free.

• Leon

May 13, 2021 at 6:16 pm

The ‘secret formula’ is never exzct as it depends on all the players totals scores for that round also.. so its variable!

BUT not by the bloody $30K difference in my Aaron Hall example!! (different issue of course but you get my point)

• Leon

May 13, 2021 at 6:18 pm

Yup, last year I pay for the fantasy coach subscription that’s for sure!
        #duped #pooradmin

• llizardofoz

May 14, 2021 at 6:00 pm

I’ve always subscribed but doubted my security/ password etc this year.
          The only real reason to have assistant coach is for the byes display and
          it’s not real hard without it.

5. Vinny

May 13, 2021 at 3:14 pm

Hi guys forwarded needed Cameron (Bris) AhChee ( wcoast) or Rozee. Appreciate your thoughts.

• Lewie-14

May 13, 2021 at 4:04 pm

Hey Dunny, what’s your take on Hayes at Port. Is he worth a look or don’t touch. Want to grab a cheap R3

6. Josh K

• JT & Frenchy, Gangsta Boyz

May 13, 2021 at 7:59 pm

Keep Kosi so No to 4. IMO maybe get Jelly or Rozee

7. Chris

May 13, 2021 at 7:15 pm

Hi all
    I have subscription for Fantasy Coach, but for the life of me, I cant see most traded in or out. Am I missing something, or isn’t it there? Thanks in advance

• Albo

May 14, 2021 at 11:56 am

You can see those numbers on the app, but they are not on the Desktop version.

8. Peter

May 13, 2021 at 7:26 pm

So trade in A Hall or Dusty?

9. Bec

May 13, 2021 at 7:40 pm

I thought all the teams for Friday and Saturday get announced tonight.

Only got green dots for Friday nights game, or is it starting next week?

from the girl who loves her feet slimed

• Marc Russell

May 13, 2021 at 7:52 pm

starts next week

10. JT & Frenchy, Gangsta Boyz

May 13, 2021 at 7:56 pm

G’day Dunny & Coaches, Who is priority Trade Out, LDU or Gulden? TIA

• Ando the brain dead barfly

May 15, 2021 at 7:28 am

Gulden injured so trade him

11. Rosario Corvaia

May 13, 2021 at 9:39 pm

Dunny, will port use hayes and ladhams as ruck tandem. They have been using ladhams more up forward in the magoos?

12. James

May 13, 2021 at 9:41 pm

Kosi to Dusty or Meek to Rozee?

• Ashley

May 14, 2021 at 6:50 am

Dusty will still drop this week so could hold for another week so if you can do Meek to Rozee this week and then Koschitzke to Martin next, that’s what I’d be looking at

13. Pez

May 13, 2021 at 11:30 pm

Who would be better on field this week Farrar or Kosi? Kosi has the easier match up but Farrar I feel is more consistent

• Ashley

May 14, 2021 at 6:48 am

Farrar is the safe and more reliable choice

• Pez

May 15, 2021 at 6:30 pm

So much for that idea hahahaha

14. Ashley

May 14, 2021 at 6:43 am

Have a couple of trade options in mind:
    Option 1:
    S Berry > Byrnes
    Koschitzke > Harmes
    Leaves me with 1k which isn’t ideal, but should allow me to get Kelly next week with Fantasia and either Flynn/Campbell

Option 2:
    Campbell > Byrnes
    Fantasia > Kelly
    Leaves me with 4k, which also isn’t ideal

Current team looks like:
    D: Docherty, Laird, Stewart, Cumming, Hind, Idun (Koschitzke, Burgess)
    M: Merrett, Lyons, Oliver, Taranto, Macrae, Powell, Jordon, RCD (Campbell, S Berry)
    R: Gawn, Grundy (Flynn)
    F: Phillips, Fantasia, Farrar, Perkins, Warner, Bergman (Rowe, Jones)
    U: Meek
    Cash: 74k

Are these the best two options? And which looks better long term?

15. Daniel

May 14, 2021 at 12:46 pm

Whos best option Harmes or Markov?

• Ando the brain dead barfly

May 15, 2021 at 7:29 am

Harmes IMO

16. Scott

May 14, 2021 at 12:47 pm

Thinking Gulden to Harmes and Stephenson to Ridley – leaves $81K. I know Ridley will drop some value but these trades should score well. Team now looks like this:

D: Laird, Stewart, Markov, Ridley, Harmes, Kosi (Highmore ,Frederick)
    M: Macrae, Taranto, Mitchell, Gaff, J.Kelly, Sholl, Jordan, RCD (Sharp, Scott)
    R: Gawn, Grundy (Fullarton)
    F: Phillips, Martin, Powell, Fantasia, Warner, Farrar (Robertson, Macrae)
    U: L.Jones

Any thoughts appreciated.

17. Suff2Say

May 14, 2021 at 9:43 pm

Is one of my plans for the bye weeks a waste of a plan for any reason? That being, to use the extra trades, or even two trades per week two or tree times to swap non-playing bench warmers to playing bench warmers, hoping for a bit more job security? Would that be a good Plan A, or should it be more of a Plan B or C? What are the other good plans?

18. mt