Fixture

Cal’s Scale of Hardness – Rd. 23

RED! GREEN! TABLE! Updated for round 23.

For the final time this year, let’s look over the scale. It’s not really a scale, more like a column of hardness.

Either way, there will be plenty of information this week as we try to maximise our points for the final round. Personally, I’d be using my top 10 captains as the main guide here. Aiming for whoever is on the that list based where I have them ranked, but that will only work if money isn’t an issue.

These stats are based on what teams give up since the bye rounds. It’s purely factual so you can based your own judgments how you see fit.

MIDFIELDERS

The obvious targets this week will be the GWS boys. Below is a snippet of the score table in their Suns game this year in round 10. As you can see, they got busy (expect Taranto). Whitfield was tagged that day by Holman before getting injured in the last quarter. Now, Holman hasn’t been playing but last week, Horlin-Smith had a tagging role and went with Worpel. It wasn’t really effective as Worpel was one of the best on the ground with 134pts.

Patrick Cripps could be big in his final game for the year against Geelong who still manage to bleed Fantasy points. Last week, Lyons and McCluggage both scored 125+ and around them Robbo and Neale both hit triple figures. All midfield players.

Need to make some cash, then maybe consider offloading some of the Adelaide boys. They’re up against the Dogs who have been the hardest team to score against this year. To make things even tougher, this game is at MARS.

DEFENDERS and RUCKS

Will Max Gawn play? If he doesn’t then you will need a replacement. Rowan Marshall is the easy pick if you have him up forward. He only plays the Swans and he should make light work of those guys. Just like what Max was doing last week with 102 with a quarter to go. Then of course that injury which will have the whole community on edge this week. Reilly O’Brien was shaping up as a good option to go against the #1 easiest ruckman in English, but after sharing ruck duties last week with Jacobs, his score of 48 was one to forget. However, if Jacobs is dropped, then yep – we have another option.

Of the defenders, Hunter Clark is still a top option, along with Dan Houston who fell three points short of his fourth ton in a row last weekend. 29d and 5 marks is how he nearly got it done. He’s up against the Dockers this week, a team who gave Essendon defenders quiet a few 90+ scores last week.

Rory Shatkins

August 19, 2019 at 12:33 pm

Hope your ratings play out, Cal. 8/10 of my GF opponent’s uniques are in the hard to uber-hard range, while only 2 of mine are!

Jag67

August 19, 2019 at 12:47 pm

Ditto: The guy I’m playing has had the wood over me in this game for the last few years. Every little bit helps.

Jag67

August 19, 2019 at 12:51 pm

If Gawn doesn’t play, does Goldstein (playing MELB) become an option??

Harry

August 20, 2019 at 1:08 am

Hey Cal. How much do yo my think B Crouch will be affected this week v Dogs at Mars?

I’m either going to trade B Crouch or Fyfe to J Kelly just can’t decide. Thinking Crouch as Fyfe is at home.

Thoughts?

Dan

August 20, 2019 at 7:06 am

I’m not so sure Harry. I think BCrouch will be fine. I think it’ll be Sloane and Matt Crouch most likely to be affected as one is captain and the other is in form. Being a finals decider, things are going to be taken very seriously and I believe BCrouch stands to benefit from a bit of free time on the ball. The only thing in Fyfe’s favour is the fact he’s really trying for the Brownlow. BUT the fact that Freo are out of finals contention means the others around Fyfe could impact his scoring. Port are still an outside chance at finals so they will still go hard and may tag/target Fyfe to nullify his impact. While I still think Fyfe will tonne up, BCrouch is more likely to grab a few more points. 100ish for Fyfe versus 120ish for Crouch I reckon. But that’s just me. I hope some other fantasy users can drop their opinions on this too.

Campbell

August 20, 2019 at 9:15 am

I think Port will tag Walters. I would trade Crouch first

Black St. Boy

August 20, 2019 at 12:25 pm

Fyfe is away to Port I think

Harry

August 20, 2019 at 2:07 pm

Correct. My mistake, Fyfe is away to Port. I think he plays alright at Adelaide oval though. Agreed, Port will come out hard this week and Fyfe could get a tag. Really unsure with this one.

My opponent does have Crouch though, so could play it safe and trade Fyfe instead. I just have a feeling Fyfe will be pretty good this week.

I guess the other question is will J Kelly bounce back? Is it worth just keeping the same team?

The Mapogo

August 20, 2019 at 2:37 pm

Avoid Fyfe here. 67 last time they played Port here and coming off something similar last week.

Ruptured Steel Test Eagle

August 23, 2019 at 10:02 am

Fyfe had 124 on Adl last time. 5 RA 108.8. Old stats don’t mean a thing

Ruptured Steel Test Eagle

August 23, 2019 at 10:03 am

Sorry 104 on Port

The Mapogo

August 20, 2019 at 2:39 pm

Also Josh Kelly will only get you a 100. Expect 80% TOG and for him to mind the body. WAY better pods out there. Ignore da hype

Jacob Rivis

August 21, 2019 at 10:29 am

How will Jarrod Lyons go against Richmond this week? As a POD cant afford Kelly!