Fixture

Cal’s Scale of Hardness – Rd. 22

RED! GREEN! TABLES! The colours have been updated for round 22.

It’s crunch time and now is more important than ever when it comes to using your trades. Below is a guide of the points scored against teams from each position. This may help you hunt down a cheap option, who may just score similar points to a top line premium player over the next two weeks.

Below displays data from the bye rounds (round 15), with a little personal/professional calls of my own along the way. Just remember, it’s guide and for you to use as YOU see fit.

EASY AS…

From the defenders, teams such as Essendon and the Bulldogs caught my eye, but who do they have that you could actually pick?

Hunter Clark got to 99 on the weekend after a blistering start and his games that are coming up seem pretty simple for a bloke like him. At $594k he still might be an option who loves doubling back for those little +6s. I talked about Rory Laird last week and expected big thing. He managed 103 and this week, it will be Bachar Houli who will have an easy game against the Eagles, who gave Newman (135) two weeks ago.

Jarryd Lyons (158), Zorko (130) and Berry (121) all dominated the Suns last week and this week, the Hawks get their turn. Now, if you need a win this week and need a unique name who might be massive, consider Liam Shiels ($689k). He has averaged 110 in his last four and last year against the Suns he posted 124.

Here is the big call for the week – hold Rocky.

Yes I know. 71 last week and has an average of 89 in his last five, but his next two games suit him beautifully. North at Marvel and Freo at home in the final round of the year. It doesn’t get much easier than that for the pig and I’m expecting him to go 110+ in each.

HARD AS…

For those kicking around with Nic Newman and Kade Simpson – well done. They have been awesome, but is now the time to cash in? They have St Kilda and then Geelong (at GMHBA) coming in their next two and it doesn’t get much tougher than that.

Then we have the Crouch Brothers. Matt has bee awesome in the last two weeks with 151 and 126, but their next two games are bloody tough. Collingwood only allowed 2×100+ scores last week and the Dogs were even better, only conceding 1×100+.

My boy Fyfe will be trying solo again as he aims for another Brownlow, but can he keep it up. The Bombers are still deemed as a ‘hardish’ team despite what happened on the weekend. He will get attention in this, but will it matter? They have been tough, so don’t let one poor game make you think anything different. He’s at home though and then away to Port. Good luck trying to stop him at them moment, he’s in beast mode.

Catch Cal’s Scale of Hardness discussion on the podcast from the 27 minute mark.

Harry

August 12, 2019 at 12:39 pm

Cal. If going by the scale. Who you picking:

Stewart v Bris @ Gabba
    Crisp v Adel @ Adelaide Oval

I have Stewart (and so does my opponent) but wanting to flick to Crisp if it suits more

Calvin

August 12, 2019 at 12:56 pm

Crisp should be good v Adel

Harry

August 12, 2019 at 12:44 pm

Keep in mind Crisp plays Essendon the week after (if I was to make Granny) and Stewart v Carl at the cattery.

Tough! Could always go Crisp this week, trade back to Stewart the week after if nothing else fails

Jag67

August 12, 2019 at 12:51 pm

Looks like Sloane may be out for a while, so good time to trade him.

Jacko

August 12, 2019 at 1:06 pm

Cripps v Saints @ MCG

Or

Merrett v Freo @Optus

Thomas

August 12, 2019 at 2:07 pm

should I upgrade Ricky Henderson to Liam Shiels

Marcus

August 12, 2019 at 2:33 pm

My exact thoughts were to bring Rocky in with 2 more games to go and he is not a Pig for no reason

texantexan

August 12, 2019 at 2:44 pm

And here I am currently rage trading the (former) Pig! I just think he’s in the ‘can’t be trusted, might/might not pump out a big score’ category at the moment.

Squid

August 12, 2019 at 5:27 pm

True, might not, but he is also a not stupid chance to average 150 for the next 2 weeks, for me it’s a hold due to that and for my mental health, bad enough having E on Cripps with parker on field this week.

Robbo21

August 12, 2019 at 7:15 pm

Is Rocky to Treloar a good option or is Rocky going to be too good to trade away the next 2 week

Kane

August 12, 2019 at 8:36 pm

Should I go
    1. Salem to Houston and then Smith to Zorko/Oliver/Prestia or
    2. Houli to Houston and Smith to Lyons or
    3. Salem to Houston and Boak/Duncan to Greene

Alex

August 13, 2019 at 11:34 am

Hi Cal, first off here is an official request for more sound effects! Next big fan on your work on Cal’s Caps and SoH. BUT throwing out a challenge for the Mega Hard rating of mids against St Kilda.
    Of recent games played by StK
    vFreo Fyfe121 with Langdon also 105
    vAdel MCrouch 126, with Gibbs/Sloane/BCrouch/Mackay/Smith 100+
    vMelb Oliver 109, with Harmes 106
    vWB Macrae 132, Dunkley 123
    vGeel Danger 123, Duncan 122
    vNM Zeibell 111, Simpkin
    vRich Martin 128, Prestia 110
    vBris Zorko 120, Lyons 107
    vGC Miles 129, Swallow 115

Therefore since the bye only Bont & Fiorini who average 100 did not tonne up, with several who do not ave 100 getting over triple figs. All that being said I did this because I am trying to figure out who to drop first Rocky or Walsh (who plays StK). Then who to go to?? MCrouch, Taranto or JKelly(need to trade Rocky), or trade both for MCrouch and Robinson, but no JKelly next week?

Jacko

August 13, 2019 at 12:17 pm

Do I trade Cripps to Merrett??

Luke

August 13, 2019 at 12:46 pm

Would you trade in taranto in this week or wait until next week due to his tough match up?

FreoFrank

August 15, 2019 at 2:00 pm

I’ve got
    Def Lloyd, Whitfield Houli Stewart Williams Laird (Logue Naish)
    Mid Macrae, BCrouch rocky Treloar zerret Duncan, Gaff Taranto (carter Answerth)
    Ruc Grundy Gawn (English Fort)
    For Danger Dusty Boak TKelly Greene Dunkley (Hanrahan McLean)
    $174k under the pillow

My opponent who had the bye is showing these PoDs
    CDaniel Duursma BRodie Smith Neale Yeo Worpedo Billings
    They didn’t have much money and limited rookie downgrades before their bye
    I’d assume that Daniel and Duursma are gone

My initial thoughts were to swap Rocky for JKelly if he’s in (leaves me with $2 or $4k and then cashing up via English for next week as any trades I’d like to make would need more cash and I don’t want to bring in a player that’s not clearly better (than say Kelly or even Boak)

Your thoughts to get me to the Granny!