Trade Talk

What to do with Brodie Grundy

Warnie looks at some of his favourite options for the Ruck Pig.

The news this week of Brodie Grundy‘s PCL injury that will see him out for the better part of three-months has thrown a spanner in the works for trading ahead of round seven.

Owned by around 50% of the competition at round six, the popular pick as part of many set-and-forget ruck lines, is a must trade. Does it have to be this week? Not necessarily, but it’s a lot of coin to have on your bench if you are unable to go through with your planned moves involving Grundy next week if other issues appear.

Here are some scenarios…

1. Grundy to Gawn

It is an obvious one, but if you don’t have Max Gawn, you need him. Yes, he’s expensive but he’s one of the form players in the competition and head-and-shoulders above the rest of the rucks. A breakeven of 87 means he’s not getting any cheaper – especially with the instant reward of playing the Hawks this week. Ladhams scored 107 against Lynch last week.

2. Grundy to another premium

This is for the crew who have Braydon Preuss in R3 like Roy, Calvin and I. The insurance of having a higher priced cash cow now gets used by getting him off the bench and therefore moving Grundy to another big midfielder (hello Clayton Oliver for me). If you’ve got another ruck to whack into R3, that would be ideal. Sam Hayes is the best to have there – so in a way, it could be Grundy down to Hayes and then upgrade a fattened cow to a premium and possibly have some cash left over. I’m not going to run through the premium options in other lines as you can hopefully find whoever suits your side.

3. Grundy to Preuss

Already got Gawn? You can join the growing crew with the ‘low-risk’ move of getting Braydon Preuss in to be R2. Preuss and Gawn (aka Prawn which I saw on Twitter) will be the most popular ruck combo moving forward. Could be something you try to fade, but this might not be the place to do it in my opinion. Join the masses and bank $266k which would be handy for a rookie upgrade. Ideally you’ve got someone playing in R3 like Hayes.

Other options

Every team is different and has different needs. There are some moves that come with risk… such as:

Trade Grundy to premium elsewhere, play Sam Hayes – I’m only expecting a 50-ish average from Hayes from here. I might be selling him a little short, but while his score of 77 would certainly be fieldable as a ‘rookie’ on field while upgrading elsewhere, those points came from 47 hitouts against the hapless Eagles.

Trade Grundy to premium elsewhere, play Tristan Xerri – With CCJ doing well in the VFL and Noble stating Goldstein will be playing, there’s every chance that Xerri could be on the outer at some point. It would be a ballsy move to ride the X man considering he’s almost ready to cash out as a fattened cow.

Trade Grundy to Peter Ladhams – $650k, BE50 and with scores of 112 and 107 in last two, there’s a lot to like on paper. The paper also shows that those scores were against the Eagles and Hawks. Big O and the Lions this week won’t be easy.

Trade Gundy to another ruck – Witts and ROB have been solid, but I don’t think I could go there. We all know Marshall is a premium ruck… but Ryder returns this week. Nank is interesting – big score last week, Eagles this week – but whoever you’re getting, it feels like it would be a play through to the byes at least. Pretty much, Preuss is as good option and comes cheaper… don’t sweat his ownership.

Hold Grundy, play a ‘bench’ ruck, trade to English on return – Tim English was looking like being the second banana in the ruck line up before his hamstring injury during training last week. He’s listed on the club’s website as 1-2 weeks. Could you play Sam Hayes for Grundy for a week or two before trading to English? You could, but I wouldn’t want that coin there. Xerri is another option to play as could be Strnadica. But the aim of the game is points. Grundy has to go at some stage… just do it now and get your team in a better place (ie. scoring more points) immediately.

1. Wombat

April 27, 2022 at 2:58 pm

Love your work Warnie!

2. jjbkeeper

April 27, 2022 at 3:46 pm

If we are looking at a premium elsewhere, who do we think we should bring in? Thinking of a Mid to move JHF off the field. Already haveNeale, Steel, Cripps and Macrae, Hewett and Crisp in my midfield.

3. BzG

April 27, 2022 at 4:04 pm

Same question here. Can’t decide between Titch and Mills. Lyons is another worthy consideration.

4. Big Bozo

April 27, 2022 at 6:40 pm

Don’t decide BzG. Get them both

5. Aussy89

April 27, 2022 at 6:42 pm

Currently got Grundy/Preuss with SHayes on the pine and $265k in the bank

Thoughts on below or something i havnt looked at yet.

1) Grundy to Witts and then upgrade JHF to Cripps with some small coin in the bank to start upgrading my rookies on the bench in coming weeks.

2) Grundy to Gawn and then JHF moved on with $474k to play with on another mid

6. The Mash

April 27, 2022 at 6:55 pm

Nice article Warnie, I need to move both Grundy and Hayes from St Kilda ouch.

7. JungleMuffin

April 27, 2022 at 6:57 pm

Absolute Chaos in the center circle this week. English and Dixon last week who are quite popular and most are holding, now Grundy, Hayes and Jackson this week. Port Hayes has saved a few teams from double donuts this week I reckon, with plenty of people probably copping one.

• Phteven

April 27, 2022 at 7:27 pm

Plus Darcy and Pittonet!

• JungleMuffin

April 28, 2022 at 3:55 pm

Xerri out for a month now too! DT Goes handing out donutd this week for sure lads!

CCCAAARRNNNAAAGGGGEEE

8. Stan

April 27, 2022 at 7:18 pm

In which order (for the best to worst) would you put these ruckman?
    Marshall
    O’brien
    Witts
    Ladhams

9. Bill

April 27, 2022 at 7:55 pm

Hoping for better this weekend- last round I had to cop J.Hayes’ score, plus had Petracca as C.
    Never again will Petracca be my C- He’s let me down twice now.

Lost all of my leagues, bar one- that guy mustn’t have been even trying.
    Rating blew out badly.

10. Bill

April 27, 2022 at 7:57 pm

Doc or Short, in for Blakey?

• The Choozler

April 27, 2022 at 9:45 pm

Shortdawg

11. Jason

April 27, 2022 at 8:25 pm

1. Grundy to Gawn (already have Preuss) and J Hayes to G.Clark with $ for next week, or

2. Grundy to Witts, and JHF to Oliver ?

• Mike

April 28, 2022 at 10:42 am

Need to have Gawn. No Jackson and playing the Hawks. Durable and can score big.

12. Troy

April 27, 2022 at 9:33 pm

I had Grundy R1, Preuss R2, Jack Hayes F7 and some money in the bank, so I’ve gone to Max. Hayes will go to Clark if named, otherwise I might get freaky and go to Coleman – none of the other rookies that played this week seem like they will be in the side for long. Means another week without getting a rookie off the field, which hurts as I had to move English out last week too. Means Rachele, JHF and macdonald will probably lose a little coin before I can move them all on.

My bigger question going forward is who is the long term R2 going to be with Grundy out for most of the season? English would seem the most likely candidate, but if Stef Martin holds, he will probably come back to the pack a bit. Darcy, Marshall, Witts and ROB haven’t set the world alight either. Could Preuss end up being a keeper? He is the third highest averaging ruck at the moment.

13. Tyler

April 27, 2022 at 9:51 pm

Really need some help I need to trade out Grundy and hayes who are both on field. Should I trade them out for max gawn and Colman or pruess and Gresham.

Which ones is the best option and will give me the best chance of winning my league this week ??

• Mike

April 28, 2022 at 11:10 am

Getting Max is a priority. Also depends on whom your league opponent fields.

14. Jules

April 28, 2022 at 9:18 am

Hey legends, what do we think of Butters to Rozee and Rachele to C Oliver via some dpp? Means I keep Grundy on the bench and field Pruess. Sell Grundy next week and move Xerri to ruck bench and upgrade to a premium forward or back next week? I know that thereโ€™s risk of another injury forcing a trade but it will take underperformers and fattened cash cows off field.

• Jules

April 28, 2022 at 9:37 am

This move leave Xerri in fwds this week on ground against Carlton with no Mr Worldwide (Pittonet)

• PowerAde

April 28, 2022 at 9:55 am

it has been reported Xerri out for four. best off trade xerri and grundy for gawn and a cash cow, in adversity we improve

15. Steven

April 28, 2022 at 10:52 am

So Grundy and Rachele go for me and I can slide Pruess to R2 and S.Hayes R3 (Gawn R1).

What is interesting is what I can do with my two trades. Thoughts currently are:

1: Oliver and Coleman.
    2: Rozee and Heeney.
    3: McInnerney and Gresham.

I would love an opinion on this plan and what should I do with my trades. Thanks.