Deck of Dream Team

Jye Caldwell – Deck of DT 2022

Bails has a look at a relatively new Bomber today.

Name: Jye Caldwell
Team: Essendon
Position: MID
Price: $488,000
Bye round: 12
2021 average: 76.5
2021 games played: 2
Predicted average: 75-85+
Draft range: After round 10

Click here for 2022 Fantasy prices.

Why should I pick him?

Being priced less than 200k over the top rookies, Caldwell has already has a few years in the system, and looked destined for a breakout in 2021, before a serious hamstring injury against Port in round 2 (derailed his first season with Essendon. In his only game in round 1, he ended up scoring 104 with 22 disposals and 9 tackles. He looked really good in that game and played the majority of the game in the midfield. In the game he got injured, he also scored 49 points from only 45% game time.

We then didn’t see him until the elimination final against the Bulldogs where he scored 61, but he scored 41 of those points in the first quarter alone. There are not many players under 500k this season that can score that many points in a quarter. And with him missing essentially all of last season, he is priced at an average of around 58, meaning he is heavily discounted based on what he can actually produce. I personally think he can average around 75+ points which means he is potentially 20+ points underpriced.

Why shouldn’t I pick him?

The only thing that would make me hesitate about picking Caldwell is that there are so many mouths to feed in Essendon’s midfield. At the start of last season, the main 3 midfielders were Merrett, McGrath and Caldwell, but with injuries that meant more midfield time for Parish, Stringer, and Langford, along with stints from Will Snelling and Devon Smith and then Dylan Shiel also returned from injury. There are only 3 midfield spots and with Parish and Merrett taking 2 of those spots, that means only 1 spot left with all those guys to try and fit in, which means this could be a concern for Caldwell to get the heavy midfield minutes he was getting at the start of last season. He could also play as a winger or maybe a Dunkley role where he is an extra at the stoppage pushing up from a forward flank. Pre season will tell us a lot more.

Deck of DT Rating.

Jack

I think Jye Caldwell is a really good value pick this season. Being priced at 488k at an average of around 58, I think he can easily be 15+ points better than that. Pre season will tell us a lot about Essnedon’s midfield set up, and if Caldwell is playing in the guts, I think we can all lock him in our starting teams as one of our mid pricers in the midfield along with the likes of a Matt Rowell.

If you guys have any pre season questions at all, make sure to hit me up on my Twitter @baileyirrgang or Instagram @baileyirrgang, or comment below and I will answer them there.

FOLLOW US  ON TWITTER: @DTTALK for all things AFL Fantasy (and more). Got something to say about the deck or AFL Fantasy in general? Join the conversation and use the hashtag… #AFLFantasy.

I am a lover of all sports, especially the AFL. Some of the teams I support include the Adelaide Crows, Manchester United, Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Rams just to name a few. I am also a big fan of fantasy sports, particularly AFL Fantasy and NFL Fantasy.

1. DBoms

January 24, 2022 at 8:55 am

Good write up. I find Caldwell really interesting.

Personally, I think he can average around 82-85. I do see him as one of their primary midfield rotations. Largely due to his lack of versatility (at least that he’s shown thus far).
    As you said, Merrett and Parish have 2 of the mid positions locked up. McGrath is a gun half back (and already being slated to that role – can also thrive on a wing). Langford is versatile and has shown he can do well forward and on a wing. Stringer is a gun forward and will play through the mids in bursts.
    That leaves Shiel and Caldwell as the other two, who don’t really play any other position, and should therefore be primary mids.

Most teams seem to have their main 4, plus a few extra, and that’s what I see Essendon doing. Merrett, Parish, Caldwell and Shiel. Plus Stringer and co to have small bursts.

To me, this sounds perfect for Caldwell (maybe a few less points available than what he showed last year, due to slightly fewer minutes thanks to Parish), at his price it is really hard to ignore.

The other problem, though, is there is so much value in under priced mids this year.

Rowell picks himself, then you have (potentially) Yeo, Cripps, Serong and Crouch in the 600s, and most people would have one of these plus Rowell. It would be very hard to add a 3rd mid priced on top of this.

it would be an expensive midfield to have these guys (Rowell, Caldwell + one of above) between M4-6, but probably not strong enough / too risky to have them M3-M5. Maybe the value midfield, with money spent on forwards could be the way to go? Personally I think I’ll be paying up for mids, but I don’t know if I can go the 3 mid price options, even if it is particularly tempting this year.

• BzG

January 24, 2022 at 11:29 am

Great article and thoughtful response DBoms.
      I’m also paying up for MIDs, and $300kers rather than Rooks (excepting Daicos of course) and I’m pondering over M6 & M7 with 2 of W Drew, M Rowell, J Sharp, A Adams, J Caldwell, and H Schoenberg. I’m not yet convinced Rowell picks himself, and I’m more interested in who replaces Greenfield, especially his high tackle count.
      I’m leaning toward Drew with Adams atm. I’d love to pull the trigger with Caldwell, though. And I’m prepared to speculate on FWD mid-pricers to bat deep in the MIDs.

• DBoms

January 24, 2022 at 12:02 pm

A Adams? Am I missing something here?

• BzG

January 24, 2022 at 1:42 pm

Correction, A Davies

• DBoms

January 24, 2022 at 12:03 pm

Also, where are you fitting in ‘$300kers’ after the above 2 at M6&7, then Daicos??

• BzG

January 24, 2022 at 1:44 pm

Only 1 top liner each Def & FWD… T Stewart and J Dunkley.

• DBoms

January 24, 2022 at 12:05 pm

Wait, I think I understand now.

You’re going all expensive mids (with 2 of the above at M6 & 7, plus Daicos), then 300k players instead of rookies across the other lines. Yes?

Meaning you won’t be having on firld rookies? You’ll just have Daicos and then cheaper guys?

• BzG

January 24, 2022 at 1:50 pm

Only 2 onfield Rooks Def Wanganeen-Melera and Mid Daicos. Burned too many years with rooks. With a rolling lockout rnd1, we won’t see named rooks in some teams for days after the 1st game plays. I’d rather select from those that have played some games in the $300k space. Job security is often the curve ball.

• Mighty Puds

January 24, 2022 at 7:18 pm

The key thing to remember (for round 1) is that most clubs will name debutants during the week so you’ll know if guys like JHF, Ward, Daicos etc are playing. The trickier bit is the guys who played a little last year (think Warner last year). Guys like Davies fall into that category as well so they aren’t necessarily any better. Might be better scorers though.

• BzG

January 24, 2022 at 2:02 pm

So currently, and it’s still fluid, my Mid line looks like this:
          J Steele (vc) J Lyons (c) Titch, K Amon, C Serong, J Caldwell, A Davies, N Daicos (G Clark, J Mead). I have $149k in the bank to play with for changing M4-M7.

• Double Parked

January 24, 2022 at 4:40 pm

Lots of top priced players there. Easy way to set yourself behind the pack

• BzG

January 24, 2022 at 5:24 pm

Haha, yeah, true. But banking on cash gen in Defs & Fwds & Rucs. Not looking to waste trades in early rounds chasing playing rooks again, or being unable to get 20-30 pointer rooks off the field when premos have been injured or suspended. Never again list is is still raw (Dusty, Dusty, DeGoat, Danger, Dusty, etc).

2. ShredderPigs

January 24, 2022 at 11:57 am

Who is A Adam’s?

• BzG

January 24, 2022 at 1:51 pm

Corrected. A Davies GCS.

3. Daniel

January 24, 2022 at 8:30 pm

Steele, Titch, Simpkin, Neale, Rowell, JHF, Daicos, Ward

Is this too weak for a midfield set up? Feel like it’s 2 big dogs who will go 115+ and be reliable C options. 2 guys priced in the mid 90’s who I see going 104-108, so about 10 points upside. Rowell who is 25-35 unders and a good stepping stone and then 3 elite rookies. Thiughts?

• Mighty Puds

January 24, 2022 at 9:12 pm

Yeah don’t see anything wrong with that set up. Personally have three big dogs then Neale, Rowell and those three rookies. But see nothing wrong with it.

• Bailey

January 25, 2022 at 3:38 am

I don’t think that it is too weak at all. At the moment, mine looks similar as I am paying up for Gawn and Grundy. Sticking to my guns of always finding an excuse to not have both. So my midfield is similar in being a bit weaker but obviously that could change before round 1