Sample Teams

Pre-NAB Challenge Hype Team 2016

What do the most popular players selected this year look like when put together in a team? Warnie throws them in as is right now. How many players are you rolling with?

Every year I usually drop my pre-NAB Challenge team, you know, just before the pre-season games kick off. I sort of did that a couple of weeks ago on AFL.com.au.

So this year, I thought I’d post a team of the most selected players so far this pre-season and call it the first Hype Team.

It is basically made up of the most popular players across each line, fitting it within the salary cap. The forwards have the most selections by the looks of it, and as a result, I’ve chucked in Jed Anderson, Jonathan Simpkin and Liam Sumnar as FWD/MIDs to make it work. Having that many DPPs isn’t common practice, but that’s how the numbers came out!

It looks very vanillaΒ -much like most teams I have seen posted around the place- but for this early stage of the season, it’s not a bad thing! We can tweak things as the NAB unfolds.

Check out the side below, talk about it in the comments, vote in the poll below and get keen for the NAB Challenge starting where we will make hundreds of changes as the pre-season rolls on!

prenabhype2016

How many of these 'hype team' players do you have?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

mb_afl2

1. Bandicoot

February 17, 2016 at 10:42 am

I’m surprised that Leuenberger is still showing as a “most selected” player. Don’t people read injury reports??? Same could probably be said for O’Meara.
    I would have thought that either Martin or Goldy would have more selections than either of these two ruckmen or were these chosen due to salary cap restrictions?
    Always interesting to see what the masses are thinking. Personally, I have 15 of these in my squad.

• Digga

February 17, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Surprised? Go to Fantasy stats.

2. swardfish31

February 17, 2016 at 11:02 am

11 for me

3. Albert_Lloyd

February 17, 2016 at 11:05 am

Not sure why Brodie Smith is there, I can’t recall too many teams posted with him in so far.

Zac Williams would have been more appropriate IMO

Warnie

February 17, 2016 at 11:23 am

It’s from the most selected on the AFL Fantasy site.

• Albert_Lloyd

February 17, 2016 at 11:24 am

Fair enough, I thought you were taking the players most discussed here.

• Ben

February 17, 2016 at 4:25 pm

Zac Williams more appropriate??
      In 0.85% of teams

• Kill Bill

February 18, 2016 at 3:31 pm

I dont think so Brodie Smith is a better player than Zac

4. Euman

Euman

February 17, 2016 at 11:14 am

I expect a lot of people picked initial team either themselves or auto pick when joined and have not touched hence the Luey even those who still looked have just not removed him

5. chris16

February 17, 2016 at 11:18 am

Brodie Smith is value for his price, and probable role he’ll play this year, that’s why

• Albert_Lloyd

February 17, 2016 at 11:23 am

It’s meant to be a ‘hype’ team though, not presented as a ‘value for money’ side.

• Chris16

February 17, 2016 at 11:26 am

The two work hand in hand. There’s plenty of hype around Smith, because of that perceived value

6. AJ

February 17, 2016 at 11:52 am

I’m concerned about NorthMelbourne new recruits. They haven’t been given much of a run over the last few years…. I’m talking promising players like Trent Dumont, Kanye Turner & Luke McDonald. North seem to favor wheeling out the geriatrics season after season – does seem to get them to prelims, just not helping fantasy coaches.. who are more important :)

There appears to be a long list of youngsters waiting for a chance in the senior team. Players like Hibberd & Anderson may well get early games – i’m worried they’ll not string enough games together to fulfill their cashcow potential *shrug*.

• Liam

February 17, 2016 at 12:10 pm

Firstly.. I’m a North supporter so I’m biased..

I do agree, but disagree at the same time..

I see Trent Dumont as the only unlucky one out of the three you’ve mentioned.
      he didn’t get a game in his first season then played half a dozen or so last year, a few vests included though! very unlucky because he looks very promising for us.
      Coming into the AFL Turner weighed all of 13 kilograms, I was extremely surprised that he got named to play a game in his first year! After watching him though I could see why he played as many games as he did!!
      Lukey Mac…. he played 23 games in his first season, 3rd in the rising star?, knocking Mullet out of the 22, not bad for a first year player. if it wasn’t for his stuttering form he would have played more games last year!

I think those 3 players have got games when they have deserved them..

Hibberd will be up against McDonald, Mullet, Dal Santo, Atley, Wright and co for a rebounding Def spot.. so he’s up against it.
      Anderson on the other hand I think/hope will slot straight in, his pace is going to help us big time.

• almostfootylegend

February 17, 2016 at 7:46 pm

Agreed. North shinboner member!! Macca and fish will be first in line for a defender role shall a player be rested / injured..Jedi Anderson will play round 1.. Daniel (wheels) Wells is in tip top shape north want many games as possilbe out off him.. Ive locked n loaded.. masive POD player.and look out for Ryan clarke hasent played a game and already a contract extension had a ball on a string in 2nd half when moved in midfield..

7. thesupersubs

February 17, 2016 at 11:54 am

These are the most selected players in fantasy right now so obviously people see value in them and want them in their team, thus they are hyped

8. thesupersubs

February 17, 2016 at 11:56 am

Only 10 for me, I have gone with some potentially massive PODs, Gawn, Grundy, Adams, Neale, Duryea, Billings and I see tremendous upside in Salem if he can stay on the park

Another Arctic flying Wombat Squirrel named John Cenna

February 17, 2016 at 4:26 pm

Legit has stolen all my POD’s
      What a sheep

• Albert_Lloyd

February 17, 2016 at 4:36 pm

Baaaaaaaaaaaa-d luck m80

9. Jake's Juggernauts

February 17, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Hey lads,

Join my classic fantasy league…

8 spots left…

6MH7RRPW

10. ProwlingTiger

February 17, 2016 at 1:49 pm

I am also surprised Leuenberger is a top selection. Limited preseason and long history of injuries. O’Meara is a gun but will he be fit for round 1.

Of those in the popular picks I have a few in my team that are raising concern.
    Lobbe, query on if he can break into the 90’s. Before Ryder, 2014 & 2013 was solid in the 80’s. Needs to get more possessions as he relies heavily on HO, but his tackles above average for a Ruck.

My forward line looks shaky with Wells, Simpkin, Petracca. I doubt I will go with the three of them.
    Wells is injury prone and his position may change to a high forward. Petracca is priced hgh considering he hasn’t played a game and Simpkin is a wait and see as is all the Essenton top ups.

11. why-hartlet-why

February 17, 2016 at 2:43 pm

Bit off topic, but thoughtson Bastinac ?????????
    POD or SPUD

12. Damo

February 17, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Can anyone tell me if there will be an up to date list of players, with % owned etc this preseason? There was one last year, and the info seems to exist somewhere but does anyone know where I can access it? Thanks

• Stevo

February 17, 2016 at 3:05 pm

just go on fantasy and select order by % selected

• Damo

February 17, 2016 at 3:39 pm

Of course haha, thanks.

13. almostfootylegend

February 17, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Lewy and lobbe 100% dont touch!! Wells for anderson.. mcgloven is a must!! Omeara hell no better picks avallable .. and bartel wont play 15 games let alone a season.

• King Fisha

February 17, 2016 at 5:45 pm

I’d take a bet with you Jimmy Bartel plays 15+ this season.

• almostfootylegend

February 17, 2016 at 7:49 pm

KEEP FISHING CHAMP.. BET MY BALLS HE DONT!!

• King Fisha

February 17, 2016 at 10:47 pm

Righto. $100 bet? 15 games and under you win. 16 games and over I win. How are we going to do this? Could link my email address

• King Fisha

February 17, 2016 at 10:53 pm

I sold myself short. 14 games and under you win. 15 games or more I win*

14. Damo

February 17, 2016 at 4:11 pm

Is anyone thinking of picking Crowley??

• why-hartlet-why

February 17, 2016 at 5:07 pm

will depend on role, not in my plans, even if not tagging full time he will have games where he does and if your serious you cant afford to drop those points.

• Milansta

February 17, 2016 at 6:49 pm

Crowley definately represents ‘value’ as Worsfold said he will let him loose, thus increasing his points output. But increase it to what end?

It is a fine balancing act when you need to consider you will be busy trading rookies in and out of your team and upgrading to premium players. You will often find other more ‘pressing’ trades needing to be done during the early part of the season and find yourself putting the Crowley trade on the backburner as a result. You wouldn’t expect Crowley to increase his price much past the first few weeks if ‘value’ is what you are after in him.

The end result is, you have Ryan Crowley in your team for the first 5+ weeks… is this really what you want? I’ll pass.

15. Kyle

February 17, 2016 at 5:58 pm

Thoughts on Dangerfield?

who will cop the tag at Geelong now? Danger could run wild?

• Leighroy

February 17, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Dangerfield is an absolute weapon. Regardless I see him averaging 110 +

• Lachie Neale

February 17, 2016 at 8:15 pm

Danger will cop the tag.

If Selwood was fit and able to play NAB he would be locked in my team.

• Loki

February 18, 2016 at 8:57 pm

how have tags affected him previously? this is a genuine question as Im not sure. I did notice Sloane copping a tag fairly often, Danger has speed and strength and is prone to burning posession, I still think Selwood is a better tagging target, to a degree

16. Milansta

February 17, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Kyle: Generally if the tag target has been sufficiently subdued in the past, teams wont change it. Expect the tag to remain the same on Geelong players unless:

1) The opposition team’s tagger has had success vs Dangerfield in the past or
    2) Opposition coaches in previous rounds have located a more effective tag tactic that is then copied by other teams.

There are other considerations such as changes to role but I think that you can expect the ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’ to apply most of the time.

• Milansta

February 17, 2016 at 6:55 pm

Sidenote: Footy is a relatively conservative game strategy-wise. Most sports are on a year to year basis. One coach may test a new tactic during the season, but for the most part teams keep to the tried and true strategies especially if they have worked in the past few seasons for them. Expect experimentation from the bottom teams mainly.

17. Milansta

February 17, 2016 at 6:56 pm

Reading between the lines of your post, if you are afraid of picking Dangerfield because you think he will get tagged, don’t stress about it.

• Nat Fyfe

February 17, 2016 at 7:16 pm

Milansta…Woweee.

• Lachie Neale

February 17, 2016 at 8:16 pm

How much is your team worth?

• Nat Fyfe

February 18, 2016 at 9:35 pm

12.1m Right now. Increasing. Full Rockliff team?

18. flukeyy

February 17, 2016 at 7:58 pm

hes back… @Nat Fyfe

• Loki

February 18, 2016 at 9:17 pm

it wouldnt be the same without him flukeyy. lol

19. Euman

Euman

February 17, 2016 at 9:31 pm

OPINIONS PLEASE Brad Crouch v Libba or both or none

• Stevo

February 17, 2016 at 9:39 pm

libba, crouch has some concern. he pulled up a bit sore in intra and crows said they’ll manage him. Also Libba should average more anyway.

• Matt

February 17, 2016 at 9:57 pm

I actually prefer Crouch as a scorer myself, but I have no faith in his body sadly. He’s still in my side, but only because I haven’t found the 150k I want to upgrade him.

20. ProwlingTiger

February 17, 2016 at 10:48 pm

Libba is only $28k more than Crouch, I think he is a must have selection.
    Crouch is iffy as the others have stated and putting my two bobs worth to it, his only played 25 games so he is price maxed. However the Guy seems the have the ability to improve.

21. Euman

Euman

February 17, 2016 at 10:52 pm

Cheers all thanks

22. Bluesfan

February 17, 2016 at 11:08 pm

Matt Crouch will outscore Brad!!!

• Lachie Neale

February 17, 2016 at 11:31 pm

Care to share why you think this?

• Bluesfan

February 18, 2016 at 6:38 pm

Just a hunch, but no vests and no injuries should help!!

• Ben

February 18, 2016 at 7:07 pm

I remember actually reading when Matt was drafted that he was the more highly-touted junior when growing up

• Kill Bill

February 18, 2016 at 3:36 pm

No chance on earth he will

23. Fooz

Fooz

February 18, 2016 at 3:58 pm

Good luck with the call today Calvin, Roy and Warnie. Will be listening.