Fixture

Bye Planner

If you’re stuck with trying to negotiate the byes and can’t picture what your side will look like over the bye rounds (Rd 11, 12, 13), then Pete and Grant have something special for you! This is a handy little spreadsheet where you can pump your team in, making changes as you see fit, to help your navigate the byes and hopefully finish with minimal donuts.

DOWNLOAD: Bye weeks planner.xls

Thanks heaps to Pete for sending this little puppy in and a big shout out to Grant who helped tinker with it putting his two cents in to make this a handy little resource!

Co-captain of DT Talk since inception in 2007. Finally had a good season with an overall ranking of 137th for 2018... next goal is to replace the dirty old trucker hat with an AFL Fantasy one! Follow on Twitter: @WarnieDT

Ingoes

May 22, 2012 at 11:32 pm

This is freaking awesome.

Thank you so much for sharing this for no payment.

My plan is 6 trades (I’ll take 18 into this round, probably 16 into Round 11), one donut in Round 11, and one in Round 12. I’ll downgrade to Darley after his first price rise, one other timely downgrade option I hope, and four upgrades thanks to a little nest-egg I’ve been putting away.

And then the obvious extra ones when Swan misses Round 11, Pfeiffer gets dropped, Darley is rested in Round 12/13, Thommo and Dangerfield headbutt each other into a coma going hard for a loose ball in Round 10, etc, etc.

D.Swan

May 22, 2012 at 11:52 pm

What To Do

BACKS: Goddard, Deledio, Broughton, Hargrave, Waters, Bugg, Clarke ( ellis, Townsend )

MIDS: Swan, Boyd, Mitchell, Jelwood, Horsley, Magner ( J Mac, A.Treloar )

RUCKS: Giles, Sandi ( redden, stephenson )

FWDS: Buddy, Dangerfield, sidebottom, Chapman, C.Pearce, D.Martin, R.Stanley ( D.Smith, A.Hall )

$230k 16 trades

Trades this week:
    Stanley > Zorko
    $380k

Next week:
    Bugg > Scotland
    Magner > Ablett

Good trades or not , All advice greatly welcome :)

JungleMuffin

May 23, 2012 at 12:26 am

With 380k in the bank, why wouldn’t you bring in either Scotland or GAJ this week, if you’ve got 1 more trade left?

That 380k in the bank isn’t going to score you points, but GAJ or Scotland will, and alot more than Magner or Bugg.

frank costanza

May 22, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Nice work guys. I was putting a lot of work into the bye rounds but then the season got moving and so did the carnage. The carnage just f$&’s with your bye round plans. When that is coupled with the fact that we have a heap of rounds after the byes for which we will need a cracking team, well, I just think compiling a cracking team comes first, bye donuts second. Whoever can manage both, I tips me lid, you should probably get a job at an investment bank

Totto's Immortals

May 23, 2012 at 12:04 am

DT Talk Post of the Year!!

I found this incredibly helpful, now I can throw away the 1000’s of paperwork I had my plans written on, thanks guys!

Luke

May 23, 2012 at 12:04 am

Have been keeping a tab on my bye structure from the get go. Worked out that I will more than likely be coping a around 4-5 doughnuts over the byes, but by that, only using 4 or so trades. Would rather cop 1-2 doughnuts a round than waste 2 trades. Going to need them come finals time.

Albert Lloyd

May 23, 2012 at 12:10 am

Totto's Immortals

May 23, 2012 at 12:11 am

Quick question…
    With only 15 trades left, I’m currently looked at my Round 11 bye for my midfield

Current: Ablett, Horsely, Pendlebury, Magner (Greene, McDonald, Boyd, Rockliff all missing)

Should I bite the bullet and trade Greene > J.Selwood?

Reasons: Greene is OUT this weekend but has a BE of 80, so he will not make too much more $, Joel Selwood only has a BE of 77 and @ $490k, I dont think I will ever see him @ that juicy price again…

Thoughts please

Jackannaught

May 23, 2012 at 12:20 am

Greene has gotta go.. Jelwood looks juicy at that price but still has the shower game that does ur head in.. If u have enough cash even look at jobe same bye rnd and has some easy games coming up and still a very reasonable break even

JungleMuffin

May 23, 2012 at 12:27 am

Jackannaught

May 23, 2012 at 12:25 am

Hey lads.
    With zorko.. Ok there really aren’t many good downgrade targets coming through, but is he really that good. I mean first game start as sub and last week got 90s against gws where big sauce kicked 7(which is saying something)
    Is he really worth the trade when still havE Devon, treloar and pfeifer making me cash and good points??

JungleMuffin

May 23, 2012 at 12:32 am

Don’t trade guys like Treloar and Pfeiffer who still have a heap of coin to make.

Smith on the other hand isn’t going to gain a hell of alot more cash.

At this stage of the year, not many of the rookies coming through are going be be best 22 and put good numbers on the board and cash in the bank. Even without his 90 odd last week, Zorko is one of those.

Some ancient wise proverb I once read: “Make hay while the sun shines”

Translation: Take the opportunity while you can.

Jackannaught

May 23, 2012 at 12:45 am

Just gonna have too do it and hope like everyone else he stays good..
        Also I have 550,000 in bank and don’t know wether to make and upgrade this week or wait till next week

Was thinking Morris to shaw but also want to wait and see how he goes against adel but if he goes well will cost a lot more

And

Wanna go trelloar to Watson this week cause he is mr consistent and a great cap choice this week, but also wanna wait one more week so ablest has bottomed out. Don’t know who to pick

Stuie

May 23, 2012 at 1:27 am

Sidey, Beams, Franklin, Robbo, Chappy, Martin and the Dangerman’s names all staring back at me from the forwardline as of this week.

Feels good man

Scott

May 23, 2012 at 2:59 am

This is amazing, thanks guys

Cpt.Awesome

May 23, 2012 at 11:50 am

Awesome. I have 10 Donuts in round 11 if I don’t trade. Looks like I can pencil that one in for a loss.

Zan

May 23, 2012 at 1:00 pm

mmmm..

ok if I dont trade no one in or out I’m looking at 8 Donuts

4-2-2

so if I use 4 trades I’ll get 6 Donuts o_O

JungleMuffin

May 23, 2012 at 4:18 pm

If you use 2 in round 12 and 2 in round 13, you could get away with 4 donuts.

Zan

May 29, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I like :)

MaccasAttackas

May 23, 2012 at 2:47 pm

This is some seriously great work. I run my auto workshop using excel spreadhseets to do all oir takings, expenses and gst and tax stuff and our p&l statements and it can do your head in sometimes.
    Huge Kudos and Thanks for putting the effort in & doing such a top job. It beats the pen and paper ive been using by 10,000 miles!

rojo32

May 23, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Just thinking how much it’s gonna suck if the top eight sides start resting there champion players against weaker opposition over the bye rounds! Carb loading on donuts I reckon!!!

jack

May 23, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Soo good. Thanks guys. Helped heaps!

5-2-4

Not really worried because versing easy opponents over MBR’s

*POWER17*

May 23, 2012 at 7:10 pm

no donuts first week, then 4 then 4 best case senerio

bomber_tom

May 23, 2012 at 7:28 pm

3 Donuts each round, assuming Orren plays round 11

This is so helpful !

MC

May 23, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Great stuff, been tinkering with this all day today. My plans will be ruined if Hall and Stephenson dont get named. So heres hoping that Geelong think that they will need Big O against Carlton!! And heres hoping that Hall can get back into the GC team just to earn a bit more cash.

Im now hoping that Couch misses one more game and then gets named. My thinking is that he will experience his first price hike in round 11, then have the bye off. If Neeld can hold back just one more week (shouldnt be hard seeing as he has all season) that would be perfect and then if Hall doesnt make it for any of those rounds, down he goes to mid or fwd rookie using DPP.

Overall in a perfect world I will hopefully only use 3-4 trades and have only 2 donuts per round max!! Heres for wishful thinking!!

18. Dusty Cotch n Conks

Dusty Cotch n Conks

May 23, 2012 at 8:48 pm

If anyone wants to add a feature to the spreadsheet that shows how many trades you’ll use over the three week period, simply do the following;

In cell A65, type “Trades Used” (excluding the ” marks)
    In cell B65, type “=COUNTA(G6:G47,N6:N47,U6:U47)” (excluding the ” marks)

This will give you the total number of trades you will do over the period, providing you’ve noted the player’s name in the “player” column.

Sean08

May 23, 2012 at 8:57 pm

If things go to plan I’ll have 2 donuts in each round while only using 2 trades, I’m pretty happy with that

Nix

May 23, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Yes great stuff. Well designed sheet and not locked up.

I dragged it into my DT spreadsheet as a separate tab, then linked my team straight up into it.
    I had to change the bye planner’s team abbreviations to match mine but that is easy to do in cells A33-A50.

I am counting trades using approach similar to described above.

Also added score columns that pull across the averages for each player using a lookup formula, so I also get a forecast total score for each MBR round. If you want to do this you can use an IF statement that only includes players that are playing (the coloured green cells already have a 1 in them if playing, or the red ones have a zero). My score formula looks like this:
    =IF(J19=1,VLOOKUP(D19,MyTeam2012!$M$210:$AO$242,MyTeam2012!$Q$209),0)

21. Simon

Simon

May 24, 2012 at 4:42 am

This is great. Makes it easy to see not only my team’s difficulties over the MBRs, but I can update my opponents for those weeks as well. Really important as I’m trying to move up my league ladder. Currently 9th (3-3) with 15 trades and $525K in the bank. It’s the guts of the season that really sets it up for the finals push!

chappalenkoubeauty

May 28, 2012 at 7:06 am

Well, had a look at this earlier. Atm I have 2 donuts in rd 11 and 12 and 4 in rd 13. My entire squad played this week with the exception of Aaron Hall. Most of my rd 13 guys are premos and I wont be sideways trading, will just cop it sweet. 14 trades left.