Every week of the pre-season, we will post our take on any news that comes through. We’ll get sucked in by who’s burning up the track, getting more midfield time and those who are locks even though we are weeks away from locking our teams in. This is anything goes and we’ll be updating the rolling blog regularly. Come back, have a read and get involved in the discussion in the comments.
LAST UPDATE: Saturday 11 February, 2017.
- Brad Crouch will miss JLT and is unlikely to play in round one.
- Todd Goldstein should almost be crossed off starting lists due to ongoing ankle issues. He will miss at least the first two JLT games.
- Harley Bennell won’t be ready for round one.
- Sam Petrevski-Seton had hurt his quad and will miss a month. No JLT.
- Willie Rioli has a serious hamstring injury that could see him out until a few weeks into the season.
Geelong intra club
Fantasy relevant updates from the Cats’ intra club on Saturday:
- Patrick Dangerfield limped off after a tackle but the Cats say it was a corkie.
- Tom Hawkins kicked three goals.
- Harry Taylor played forward.
- Steven Motlop found plenty of space.
- Scott Selwood didn’t take part along with Sam Menegola and George Horlin-Smith.
Patrick Dangerfield a little proppy in the knee after a tackle in training drill. Walked off under his own power pic.twitter.com/3ed6rw4DYk
— Ben Guthrie (@BenGuthrie_) February 11, 2017
Gold Coast intra club
Fantasy relevant updates from the Suns’ intra club on Saturday:
- David Swallow played a mix of half-back, wing and midfield. He will play all JLT games with limited minutes.
- Jack Bowes was the most impressive rookie.
- Michael Barlow was at a wedding and Jarrod Witts missed with a shoulder, same with Gary Ablett.
Richmond intra club
Fantasy relevant updates from the Tigers’ intra club on Friday:
- Dion Prestia played off half-back and through the midfield.
- Josh Caddy improved as the game went on. He played 70% midfield, the rest forward. The former cat kicked a goal in the second term.
- Toby Nankervis was impressive and he appears to be in pole position for the No. 1 ruck this year. Shaun Hampson ran the boundary!
- Dustin Martin played in the midfield and there were times that he was isolated inside 50.
- Tyson Stengle is probably ahead of Shai Bolton according to onlookers.
All done, no increase in corridor ball movement, Nankervis a positive
— aflratings.com.au (@aflratings) February 11, 2017
Sydney Swans intra club
Fantasy relevant updates from the Swans’ intra club on Friday:
- Sam Reid impressive.
- Jordan Foote and Jake Lloyd talked up.
- Isaac Heeney and Zac Jones were brilliant through the midfield.
- Darcy Cameron had a good battle with Kurt Tippett in the ruck.
Melbourne intra club
Fantasy relevant updates from the Dees’ intra club on Friday:
- Angus Brayshaw impressive.
- Jordan Lewis is set to be an important part of the midfield and was brilliant on Friday.
- Christian Petracca noticeably chopped off errant defensive kicks.
- Michael Hibberd still on modified training and did not play. Although Jake Melksham participated in the first half.
- Jay Kennedy-Harris is buiding up for a big season. Just a hot tip, he’s a $150K forward.
Brisbane Lions intra club
Fantasy relevant updates from the Lions’ intra club on Friday:
- Probables v Possibles.
- Jake Barrett played between midfield and half-forward. Kicked two goals and gathered plenty of the ball.
- Hugh McCluggage plaued half a game but didn’t collect a heap of disposals.
- Tom Rockliff played the second half and got two clearances in the first couple of minutes. Apparently he is recovering from an Achilles issue.
- No Stef Martin, Daniel Rich, Allen Christensen or Dayne Beams.
North Melbourne intra club
Fantasy relevant updates from the Roos’ intra club on Friday:
- There was a bit said about a scuffle between Andrew Swallow and Braydon Preuss following a tackle.
- Shaun Atley played through the midfield, as talked up during this pre-season.
- Ryan Clarke also ran through the guts.
- Nathan Hrovat continued his eye-catching pre-season.
Collingwood intra club
Fantasy relevant updates from the Pies’ intra club on Wednesday:
- Jamie Elliott moved well in attack. Matt Scharenberg – confidence was high.
- Taylor Adams is a lock. He booted goals, racked up plenty of the pill. If you don’t have him from the start, you’re playing this game wrong.
- Will Hoskin-Elliott kicked two goals and was named among the best players.
- If Adam Treloar is in your team, don’t take him out.
Adams 89 🌶🔥
Grundy 81 🔥
Will H.E 48 @DTTALK
— The Wiz (@TheWizDT) February 8, 2017
Calf injury halts Deledio
New GWS recruit Brett Deledio has been ruled out of the first game of the JLT Community Series with a calf strain. The club said they’ll take a conservative approach with the 29-year-old, even though he has had a cracking pre-season. He is likely to play in the final JLT match. Remember, Deledio’s issues have been calf/Achilles, so geez… don’t start him… and drop him down on your Draft rankings.
New podcast – listen now!
Check out the brand new podcast talking rucks, track burners, an interview with Wil Wagner from The Smith Street Band and more.
Upcoming intra-club matches
We’ll to try update as many as we can in this article, but some worth looking at (and please comment thoughts below) include:
- Essendon – Wednesday 8 February from 9:30am (stream).
- Collingwood – Wednesday 8 February from 6:00pm (stream).
- Sydney Swans – Friday 10 February.
Hrovat kicks four
New Roo Nathan Hrovat kicked four goals and racked up 17 touches in North Melbourne’s practice match against Werribee. Marley Williams moved well across half-back and gave strong rebound in the early stages of the game.
In case you missed it… Ablett will be playing forward
More on Gary Ablett playing forward. 60/40 split by the sounds of it… don’t start him, but get keen for his DPP that is a pretty good chance. He may still average 100+!
Who’s burning up the track
You need to read this article.