Trade Talk

Roy’s Rollin’ 22 – Post-R3 update

Roy’s Rollin’ 22 has been updated after round three.

Welcome to Roy’s Rollin’ 22. I will be posting this here on the first Tuesday of the month, but if you would like to see it weekly, consider joining our Patreon page. From as little as $5 a month, I will update the 22 and offer my extended trade insights (I have included some below in today’s DT Talk edition). This is posted every Tuesday at 3pm AEST.

1. Sam Docherty – Back to his best as the highest scoring player of the round.

2. Nick Daicos – Every week we hear how teams are going to stop him…

3. James Sicily – 40 marks in three weeks and they want the ball in his hands.

4. Jordan Dawson – Not converting his play to big scores, on notice.

5. Tom Stewart – Didn’t miss a beat upon return with 29 and 13. Rock solid.

6. Will Day – Embraced his midfield opportunities and hasn’t dropped under 92.

IN THE MIX: Luke Ryan, Jack Sinclair, Jake Lloyd, Daniel Rioli

1. Clayton Oliver – Playing at a whole new level and has put a gap on the field.

2. Rory Laird – Averaging 94 and needs to bounce back with a big one this week.

3. Andrew Brayshaw – Solid without being outstanding. A good save last round.

4. Josh Kelly – Playing inside and eyeing off a place in the top 3.

5. Brad Crouch – Stepped up as expected in the absence of his skipper.

6. Luke Davies-Uniacke – 108 and 123 before missing. Star on the rise.

7. Tom Green– Finding a heap of the ball and two 110+ scores.

8. Zach Merrett – Hanging by a thread. Averaging less than Setters and Parish.

IN THE MIX: Darcy Parish, Caleb Serong, Touk Miller, Will Setterfield, Jack Macrae

1. Tim English – Hasn’t dropped under 111, absolute gun.

2. Rowan Marshall – Heating up with 116 and 100 in last two.

IN THE MIX: Sean Darcy, Toby Nankervis, Brodie Grundy

1. Josh Dunkley – Finally saw what we expected with a stat stuffing 116.

2. Tim Taranto – Hasn’t dropped under 108 and getting it done on the weekly.

3. Stephen Coniglio – The role is there but needs a big one to hold this week.

4. Connor Rozee – Finally got a good run at it and pumped his first ton.

5. Dylan Moore – Out performing expectations and rightfully made a small jump.

6. Harry Sheezel – One more game like this and he will be number 3 next week.

IN THE MIX: Errol Guden, Jack Ziebell, Jeremy Cameron

Chopping Block:

Darcy Cameron, Dom Sheed, James Worpel, Jason Horne-Francis, Andrew McGrath, Liam Stocker

Trade Targets:

Tom Stewart (DEF, $757,000) – There are a number of good options in the back line, including the fast healing Cat who presents as an absolute bargain. After a disastrous round one was cut short following just 12% game time for a score of 14, the intercept specialist has dropped 79K on what was already a bargain price at the beginning of the season. He had 29 touches and 13 marks for 126 in his early and surprise return vs the Suns and will cover his BE of 106 this week against the Hawks.

Josh Kelly (MID, $899,000) – You know how big I have been on Kelly all pre season, so big that I held him in round two while missing with concussion. When Josh Kelly plays inside mid, the numbers you saw on the weekend where he collected 29 possessions, laid nine tackles and kicked a goal for a score of 126 are not uncommon. In that role he absolutely mixes it with the big boys, and for a much cheaper price and a much lower ownership at just 2%. He has a BE of 100 and tasty match ups against the Bombers and Hawks in his next two.

I have extended trade thoughts over on the Patreon page.

Key Questions:

Best downgrade option?

I really liked the look of Jacob van Rooyen (FWD, $238,000) following a great debut for the Dees. Obviously he isnt going to kick three goals every week but he showed impressive pressure, laying six tackles on his way to 76. He has a BE of -10. After a massive game in the VFL, also keep an eye out for a debut from Josh Fahey (DEF/MID, $200,000) who could be a good replacement for the injured Campbell Chesser (DEF/MID, $237,000).

Is it bad to downgrade and upgrade 2 failed mid pricers if it means another rookie (7) like Chandler comes on ground?

Six still feels like the right number to me, but having said that, I am playing with 7 and came 350th for the week, so it certainly is an option.

I have extended questions answered over on the Patreon page.

Please note: The Rollin’ 22 will be updated each week on our Patreon page for all members (both $5 and $10 tiers).

The most successful DTer out of the boys prides himself on his multiple top 200 finishes... nearly as much as he prides himself on his guns! The coach of destROY wants you to follow him on Twitter: @RoyDT.

Notify of
guest
Inline Feedbacks
Barry Manilow
Barry Manilow
1 year ago

Roy, we all notice that you want us all to give you a fiver each month. We’ll guess what, we aren’t giving you nothing

TimROY
TimROY
Reply to  Barry Manilow

Double negative…so you are going to give them something?

Jason
Jason
Reply to  Barry Manilow

I don’t think they give a fuck if you don’t join their Patreon. They don’t need 100% of people to join. I’m going to join when my damaged credit card is replaced in a few days. They’re the funniest out of all the fantasy commentators and they’ve been doing it the longest.

Balsam
Balsam
1 year ago

Yep… these guys get money from the AFL, plus sponsorship money from wagering providers (which I actually object to), and now they want people to pay more for their “insights”…

As much as I enjoy their content, they won’t be getting a cent from me. Methinks they are getting a bit too big for their boots.

1 year ago

I’m not paying money for something that tells me Nothing.
Has fantasy embraced the global economy?

Jason K
Jason K
Reply to  Bill

And yet you came on to gather information you didn’t have before. Btw, I’m from California. Welcome to the global economy redneck aussie hillbilly!

Matt
Matt

Wonder If these 3 comments above all came from the same IP address haha

Randy Rocket
Randy Rocket
Reply to  Matt

Matt, we don’t wonder but know you bend over and take it

Zach
Zach
Reply to  Randy Rocket

Randy, You and your doppelgangers sound like hillbillies

Jason K
Jason K
Reply to  Zach

Lol. Someone from Australia calling someone else from Australia a “hillbilly.” I just about spat my martini. Hello from non-redneck Orange County, CA. If only we could drive all the aussie hillbillies out of Irvine.

Reply to  Matt

No, that’s not the case, arse-licker Matt.

Warnie
Admin
Reply to  Matt

No, they’re not … Barry, Randy and Toddy are, though.

It’s great that we have people who care about our product so much that they are disappointed there is stuff that they can choose to pay for. You don’t have to do it. I can refer to Ricky Gervais’ guitar lessons routine…

A casualty in having a crack at the Patreon has been Calvin’s Captains, but part of the decision making was to have that as part of the membership – for those who have joined up, they will see that it is in a much different/extended format. There’s a (very) abridged version that goes up on Thursday nights here. I will say, however, that there is plenty of free information provided about captains on the livestream/podcast.

The Rollin’ 22 wasn’t a regular feature here last year. You will get that once a month (more than last season) on here. It won’t cost you anything. The Scale of Hardness will also appear once a month – based on last year’s posts, it is approximately the same frequency. That is updated weekly on the Patreon as is the 22 with trade talk.

Our aim withe the Patreon was to offer more things. It is stuff we have been wanting to do for some time. Having a Patreon, and the legends who have decided to be part of it, is allowing us to have a crack with some of this different content. For example, the Sunday night livestream and the mid-week Q&A podcast. People have wanted more. We want to provide more, but time is an issue. We took time off our day-to-day work this year to have a crack. A risk, yes, but we are ok with this. We’ve been doing this thing for a long time.

For the naysayers, I totally get where you’re coming from regarding the captains… but we’ve added much more to this site this year. I’ve got my new Friday article and also adding game notes on a Monday morning. Our AFL work has actually been cut back this year, but that’s not your business … you may have noticed there isn’t a Monday article now on the AFL site. You may have also noticed the quality of our work hasn’t dropped there with podcasts and other content. Remember, this is all for free for people willing to consume it. I don’t want to get into ‘sponsorship money from wagering providers’, but you do realise that’s for the AFL product, not DT Talk.

Bill – you’re not a fan of it, I get it… and there have been a few others who have jumped on to knock us down. Just remember, you don’t have to get a Patreon membership. It is completely optional. There’s plenty of stuff on here – and with other great providers – for your to consume for absolutely nothing.

Anyway… thanks for those who do support us. For those who don’t, we appreciate your passion, but please don’t flood post with your negativity on something you a) don’t completely understand, b) have taken for granted for so long…. or c) never liked, but want to be a prick for the sake of it.

Reply to  Warnie

Fair enough, Warnie. It’s your choice how you run the show.
Thanks for the detailed replies.

Though I’m pretty sure the numbers of participants have been slowly dwindling over the years. This may well be my last time- I think I’m getting too old for things like this.
All the best.

Warnie
Admin
Reply to  Bill

Numbers of Fantasy participants have been building and eclipsed the 2018 figure last season. This year the numbers are up year-on-year.

DT Talk numbers are strong. Definitely not like they were 10 years ago, pre our AFL contract but they’re doing well. People consume stuff and interact differently these days. We’ve evolved. The podcast numbers blow my mind every week. To continually have our episodes rank in the top couple on Apple Podcasts of all sports is a pretty good achievement.

If you’re getting too old for people offering more content and your choice to be a member of it might be more about you than it is about us.

Reply to  Warnie

No, I’m just getting old- like you all are.
There comes a time when it’s time to move on.
Nothing lasts forever.

Toddy Trowler
Toddy Trowler
1 year ago

Yes greed has got them. They say they just want $5 or $10 per month. Give them nothing

clownsallaround
clownsallaround
Reply to  Toddy Trowler

If you think they’re greedy and there’s no value in their product, you know you don’t have to pay you dunce? 🤦‍♂️

1 year ago

How to ‘destroy’ what was once a good product 101, courtesy of the fantasy team.

Roy
Roy
Reply to  Bill

It’s the same product Bill 😂. The other stuff is new. Haha

Reply to  Roy

Not the real ‘Roy’ replying I would say, because he never comments- he leaves all that stuff to the former big bloke, who is now a lot trimmer than he used to be.

Barbs12
Barbs12
Reply to  Bill

A good product you got to enjoy for free for years. The amount of ours these guys have spent over the years helping guys people out with advice. Surely they deserve $5 a month. If you can’t afford it maybe don’t play fantasy free sports and put the time into you work. If you can’t afford $5 then take the free advice they still offer or fkn move on and make your own.

Jarby
Jarby
Reply to  Barbs12

Agree mate. People just love a bit of Carrie on these days. Just something to complain about.

Stevo
Stevo
1 year ago

I wouldn’t be critical of people who put a lot of effort into creating content trying to monetise it. It’s a free country, they can do that if they want. But it does leave a bit of a bad taste when the content used to be free, and I don’t like the gambling connection (which corporate AFL is also into). However these days there is a lot more AFL fantasy content elsewhere on the net than there was a few years ago, much of it as good as or better than what The Traders produce in my opinion, and made by people who are doing it for fun. I wish The Traders well, but I’m now going elsewhere for my AFL fantasy advice.

Warnie
Admin
Reply to  Stevo

Hi Stevo. Totally fine. Hopefully you still hang around here as there is a lot of quality stuff posted by a range of people. If it’s not your cup of tea, or up to the quality you want, that’s fine. I think we are still doing a pretty good job after all this time (2007 was a long time ago).

What I will add, though, is that we have been very ‘true to ourselves’ across our whole journey. We provide good stuff (I don’t think it is bad, however people are definitely putting out some very quality stuff, much more indepth than us in some parts), but we’re more than advice. It’s the community, it’s the banter … it’s the ‘entertainment’ of following three best mates talking rubbish about fantasy footy. The Patreon was a chance for us to produce content like we used to. A bit looser from the stuff we do for AFL.

We have fun doing what we do, but as we’ve got older (I’ll say it again, 2007 was a long time ago), our lives have changed. Yep, we could keep it going as it has been. The DT Talk stuff very much the hobby side of it, the AFL stuff nice for some pocket money and slicing a handful of hours off the day job (but doing about 4 handfuls of time for it).

No one is forcing anyone to get involved. Aside from CCs, as I posted above, it’s an extra experience. We’ve had success/fun with our live shows. There was a hole in the market – the Sunday night shows – that we have wanted to do for a long time. We wanted to get it sponsored, we have wanted it to be an AFL product … we have even toyed with having a crack to start with, but the time investment has been and would have been huge. We took a risk to make it a Patreon thing.

We won’t be doing this forever. There are people out there making a lot more money out of fantasy footy than us … and maybe it is a bit of jealousy (and knowledge of the hours we have put in, and continue to put in), we thought we could have a bit of a crack at a membership thing.

It’s not for everyone, and that is ok. We support everyone’s choice of what they consume and what they spend money on. Maybe it’s a positive thing that people are a bit cut up about it? It may have meant they were enjoying things for free previously.

Long answer, sorry… but I saw on CCs last week that people wanted some clarity. It is pretty much here in this reply and the one above.

Enjoy your Fantasy footy season!

Dan
Dan
Reply to  Warnie

Do the AFL not pay that well or are paying less now? That’s not a dig, nor do you have to state figures. Your post above said the AFL has cut back, which is somewhat surprising. AFL fantasy appears to be the biggest it’s ever been, yet they are cutting back, it’s odd. They sure as shit can’t do it themselves lol.

I think it’s fair to say, I think what most are surprised about, is the fact that with AFL being as massive as it is, I do believe you guys are the biggest figureheads in the AFL Fantasy space. Sure there are other content creators, but you guys are the ones with the history, effort and now have developed a big following and credibility along with it. When people thing afl fantasy, I’m pretty sure the traders spring to mind in anyone’s top 5, if not number 1. In recent years, we’ve all heard the afl adverts being played during podcasts and in other areas, plus the afl pushing more fantasy content on its main pages. I think at this point, everyone started believing you guys had finally stuck a deal with meant you had some decent fulltime deal with afl to continue the good work. Your remuneration wasn’t a thought until patreon came up. I don’t believe anyone cared how much you were earning, as I think the basic assumption at the time was that the AFL paid you enough for the content generated for them. So then pateeon came into the equation (and the obvious target is the captains) but it threw people off. We’re you not paid well? Is there double dipping? The AFL screw you over in the contract? *these are rhetorical, you don’t have to answer these lol. These are just my thoughts at the moment. I don’t really think most people are pissing and moaning about free versus paid content, although it may seem that way to some. I think it’s just n alteration to the traders structure that’s thrown a few off guard, as it’s something many of us have been used to for a number of years. Again, not having a dig at you guys, you still chuck out reliable and enjoyable content, in a world where there’s lots of other content creators too. Your hard work and time put in aren’t lost on me, as you do deserve thanks also, in what appears to be a largely thankless industry.

Warnie
Admin
Reply to  Dan

I think I’m pretty much done here… but up until this year, we took one day off the day job a week to do Fantasy stuff for the AFL (please note that for that ‘day’ I would have personally done around 20 hours work – my life and family suffers for that).

We took a punt and went to 3 days teaching this year as we thought we might be able to make up the difference with extra remuneration. Unfortunately that wasn’t to be the case (this was more than one thing). Patreon was a way for us to create the content we wanted and also get paid for it, otherwise it would have just been more unpaid work… while missing a day of income from doing our teaching job.

It’s fair to question things, but I feel like our integrity has been questioned by some.

Maybe we need a manager…? Are you up for it?

Dan
Dan
Reply to  Warnie

Ah OK. Now this part does add vital context to the situation. Thank you for that. Look it may be because I haven’t been into afl fantasy since you generated content since the beginning, as I’ve only really played the game for the past 5 years. I honestly had no idea you guys were teachers. I do on the other hand understand what it’s like doing something so much, it feels like your family life or personal life suffer for it, or both. You’ve added the fact that you’ve made a move and decision that affects finances, work life and family life, but also the content shared here. I do feel like I understand your patreon decision in a clearer light now. I really hope some other people here do too. Cheers for being a bit more publicly open. Many could and would have doubled down, but you’ve given some honest feedback, which does cancel out old mates comment above about you being ‘too big for your boots’. I can’t speak for others in this regard, but I apologise if you feel your integrity was being questioned by my queries. I’m only speculating here, but maybe the lack of transparency (which does not seem intentional at all) maybe gave rise to some of the cynical commentary. However, your replies in this thread alone now, does appear remarkably substantial to clear up much of that confusion.

Warnie
Admin
Reply to  Dan

I didn’t want to be public about this.

Most people know we are teachers – we even talk about it on the podcast… we mention we were at work, etc… but I’m glad you’ve got a better understanding of the context and can see why you wanted to question us, but if you take a step back, it’s pretty rude – regardless of circumstance.

Does Matthew Lloyd get accused of double dipping for his work on 9, 3AW, AFL site? Billy Brownless for taking money from Pointsbet, 9, MMM… running his pub, etc?

I’m actually surprised by the negativity. I understand the disappointment about CCs, but like I’ve mentioned, there’s plenty of great free content still here. So much so that I have added a couple of more hours to my workload to do the Monday game notes and Friday Fill Up (inc. a video).

You may have been around for just five years, but I am sure you can understand that our work ethic is second to none.

Another Dan
Another Dan
Reply to  Warnie

Keep doing what you’re doing, Warnie. Plenty of folks still in your corner that understand the three of you need to supplement your income. Do give Calvin a bit of a rocket for his Captains, though 😁

CrayKillers
CrayKillers
Reply to  Warnie

Well this has been an interesting read!! I must admit, I assumed the Traders were paid…and paid well!!, the hours of effort to suss out and write up ALL the incredible Intel DTTalk lays out for us each week is amazing!! The charisma you guys put into each podcaste to keep the ball rolling would be exhausting… and to know you actually spend most of your week babysitting other folks kids… Holly crap… You Trader’s ARE LEGENDS… Keep up the Gr8 work… and good on you if ya earn a few bucks along the way… You All actually contribute a lot more to fun and value than what some of your doubters would be getting from their Only Fans subscriptions!!!

Thrice
Thrice
1 year ago

You people are cooked. This platform has more free content than ever before. The amount of pre-season research that goes into this page from these blokes is incredibly helpful and continues to be throughout the season. There is so much free content available. This audience needs to pull their heads out of their ass and appreciate the hard work that goes on in the background. If you dont like the pay option dont buy it you fat nerds.

Much love.

Dan
Dan
Reply to  Thrice

Your comment lacks critical thought. Whilst there are a couple of silly posts by people abusing (which is wrong), most are questioning the decision without the negativity. 2 things can be correct at the exact same time. Someone can question a decision and still respect the effort that the traders have put forward since about 2007. It’s not that hard, you fat nerd (as you so eloquently put it).

Warnie
Admin
Reply to  Dan

Dan, I’m not sure what there is to question. The money from the AFL – of course we get paid for that, but is it a lot? Not for what we want to achieve. As explained, we wanted to do more for them, but that wasn’t possible. The wagering stuff, that’s part of the AFL product. We don’t have any affiliation currently on DT Talk with wagering companies (we have in the past). If you call DFS wagering, we didn’t have our contract renewed with Draftstars, which is fine, but that helped us make the decision to create our Patreon.

Look. I don’t want to go into how we do this and why we do this (or the decisions we have made financially – which have been positive and negative over the years), but some people are coming from a bad place with their questioning. I’m not sure what is wanted to achieve from it.

Dodgy blokes? Please.

(That was in reference to the posts on CCs last week).

If you don’t like it, you don’t have to pay. There’s plenty of free stuff.

Matt GG
Matt GG
1 year ago

Hi lads, I’ve just made an account purely to say keep it up legends. Absolutely nothing wrong with trying to get a tiny fraction of a return for all of the hard work you’ve all put in. I played AFL fantasy as a kid, came back over 10 years later and you guys are still going strong and giving free content, absolute legends. anyone complaining has clearly never had any experience in creating content and has no understanding of how much effort it takes.

The Chosen Won™®©
Member

This is funny all over a team that doesn’t exist…

Good Luck in 2024

PS… Twice you are still a knobhead!

B3
B3
1 year ago

Haters gonna hate!!! Ignore them!!! You’ll never get them to say anything positive about you.

Really appreciate all the great content you guys are offering.

a.jay
a.jay
1 year ago

chase LDU this week with a lower BE and higher average, or bring in Stewart vs Hawks (should go 12+ marks easy)..