The Thursday Scramble

The Thursday Scramble: Round 7

The Ruck Pig is down, Covid is hitting the Dees and the Byes are coming! Time to Scramble!!

Just when we thought it was safe to start our upgrading and downgrading we get thrown a big injury to deal with!  We have had a few so far this season but they have been on lines with lots of options, the ruck line is a little different!  Let’s look at that, bye planning and so much more as we Scramble our way to Round 7!

Ruck Pig Down!

Watching the game on Monday I was a little worried with Grundy’s score and then he bashed knees with Draper and I saw him hobbling and was ready to spit it, but then he lifted and really helped the Pies over the line (and for Supercoaches his last quarter was huge). But then we hear the news on Tuesday that he is now out for 10-12 weeks with that PCL injury.  So the big question is, what do we do with him.

Now I was going to write a few things on this but, thankfully for you (and me) the great man Warnie has pulled together a great article on the various options that we have if you are a Grundy owner. So check out his article What To Do with Brodie Grundy and you will have some great info on all the different scenarios.

I went Set and Forget in all formats and now I will be bringing in Preuss in all of them and using him to ruck alongside Max.  A few people have been toying with the idea of using Sam Hayes as their R2. I wouldn’t be a fan of that. As a Power fan I hope he does really well but remember his score on the weekend was against the Eagles who are struggling for numbers most weeks and with Nic Nat out he didn’t have much opposition.  Up against Ryder this week will be a whole different story!

What about the Byes?

I mentioned them a few weeks back and now we only have 5 games between now and the first round of the byes so that is theoretically just 11 trades between now and then (we get 3 before round 12) to get your team not only upgraded, but set for the byes to make sure you have 18 on field.  Once again I won’t go into a heap of detail, but just want to put a few things out there for you to think about whilst you are pondering your moves for the coming weeks.

• The Byes aren’t the be all and end all.  We have said it many times before that Meatloaf had it right all those years ago when he said 2 out of 3 ain’t bad. Yes we want to have the strongest possible team we can, but if your trading plans in coming weeks leave you a little weak in one of the three bye rounds then that is ok because you are structuring up with the players that you feel are going to be the best from here on out for the rest of the season and will maximise your points. Remember, that is the aim of the game and remember to try the delta 8 products of cbd for any pain in injuries to maximize your performance.
  • Most Leagues don’t play byes. Following on from the previous point, most leagues don’t have matches during the byes and hence you don’t need to stress. It is only your overall rank that will be impacted during this period. So don’t let that worry you.
  • Don’t count guys that won’t be around. When you are looking at who you will have and won’t have for the byes and calculating how many you might have on field. Don’t worry too much about the guys that are going to be your trade bait over the coming weeks. So guys like Jason Horne-Francis, Josh Rachele, Connor MacDonald and Sam De Koning are either leaving your side this week or soon enough (they may have already left) and hence you will be brining in a premium that may have a completely different bye to them. So the ability to work out how many you will have each week will become easier as the byes draw closer.
  • Treat them as 1 round. Don’t panic on your ranking movements during the bye weeks as some teams will be structured very differently to others. The way to measure how you went during the byes is to compare your rank after round 11 to your rank after round 14. Ideally you have jumped a heap of teams because you had a plan and you executed it. Many teams can tend to switch off during the byes because they aren’t playing league games but the majority of you readers are not just the average players and will know that you can use this time to really get ahead of the pack.
  • Draft Gold! Now in draft this can be a time to get a huge advantage over everyone else. Once again most draft leagues don’t play during the byes and hence players switch off and don’t check their teams, but you should be hitting the waiver wire hard and bringing in guys that have really performed during the byes and have broken out so that when these other coaches reengage after the byes, you are a step ahead and have all the guys that are on a hot streak.

There is a heap of other things that we will talk about when we get to the byes, but you must start thinking about them now as they aren’t far away and now that we are doing upgrades we will start to need to think about this much more than we did with our starting squads.

I know who to upgrade to, but who do I downgrade to?

Excellent question. We always have the target players that we want just like those in Roy’s Rolling 22. But to get there we need to know who we are going to cash our fattened cows down to. Now, I am sure you are all across the awesome work that Fry does in his Cash Cows article. But I just want to throw a few things out there as we hit that phase of the season.

• Don’t just look for the cheapest guy, look for job security and scoring.  Fry had done the heavy lifting for you so use his information.
  • Don’t bring in a zero just to get you that extra bit of cash you need. You can get stuck with these guys for a long time and if they aren’t playing you waste another trade getting them out where you could have had a cash cow that will give you benefit later on.
  • Check your team structure. Grab the guys that fit your structure, and by that I mean if two guys are equal then target the DPP’s that will help you shuffle your bench or even shuffle your players to allow for a better trade. Don’t underestimate that part as it can be invaluable when trading.

Covid Fun!

Now we know that the Eagles were decimated with Covid but it did give other guys a run and it did help us make some cash so things aren’t always downside when there is Covid about. The other opportunity is that it can boost someone else’s score when a player is out. The one for this week is Max Gawn.  As if Max needs more help scoring he will find himself around the footy much more this week with Luke Jackson out of the side thanks to the old Health and Safety Protocols.  So make sure you look for these little opportunities. He will certainly be wearing the VC badge for me this week.

Things To Remember

• A normal round of footy this week!  All the regular timeslots that you know and love so that should make things easier to keep up with as we paddle our way through the round.
  • Keep your eye on the prize.  We need to get more and more Rookies off field as a priority rather than sideswapping under performing premiums (like Butters was last week).
  • Have trade plans in place and then backup plans. Last week Rosas was a popular trade in target (particularly in RDT and SC) and then during the weekend we heard he would be a late out so plans changed. Just try and be one step ahead if you can and keep your eye on social media for these bits of info.

Have a great weekend everyone and hopefully your team performs well.  Just a quick reminder that I can’t usually get into the comments on a Thursday due to work but I do skim back past when I can and it is great to see you all helping each other out.  Cheers and see you all next week!

A passionate Port Adelaide Fan who simply loves footy! That is how I would describe myself. Catch my weekly article "The Thursday Scramble" with all the last minute things to think about for the weekend Follow: @pkd73.

1. Graham

April 28, 2022 at 6:54 am

DEF: Whitfield, Sicily, Hewett, Rich, Daicos, NOD (SDK, McCartin)
    MID: Neale, Macca, Steele, Smith, Green, Rachele, JHF, Hobbs (Mead, MacDonald)
    RUCKS: Gawn, Grundy (Preuss)
    FWD: Dunks, Cogs, Butters, Brodie, Xerri, Martin (Durdin, Windhager)
    UTL: Dixon
    88k in the bank

Out: Grundy and Rachele
    In: S Hayes and any mid – thinking Cripps/Oliver/Keays – haven’t decided who just yet

Thoughts on this?

• Toby

April 28, 2022 at 7:48 am

Good trades. Cripps this week. Oliver next week.

• Graham

April 28, 2022 at 9:06 am

That’s what I am thinking, I know that I will get Keays in at some point, but the price at this point is just that bit too much to justify.

• Jakob Skrnjug

April 28, 2022 at 9:45 am

not seen much discussion about it but is the play Mills this week, Oliver next week?

• pendles4brownlow

April 28, 2022 at 9:52 am

Cripps 1st. Mills was up against the Hawks last week, which means he has a good BE, but Cripps will score against anyone, and he has the Kanga witches hats this week

2. Zac Ingles

April 28, 2022 at 9:11 am

Grundy to Preuss
    Rachele to K. Coleman (on field)

Gives me 650k to double upgrade Crouch and JHF next week, hopefully Touk + someone. Is holding this much cash for a week a bad idea?

• NP

April 29, 2022 at 8:32 am

No except that if more injuries happen next week you can get stuck with the cash (happened to me this week).

Holding the cash is better than not having enough money to upgrade to a proper premium and getting stuck with an average mid pricer

3. Miyagi-san

April 28, 2022 at 10:29 am

Thanks dunny! Tossing up 3 options this week mate – any thoughts? From highest risk/reward to lowest:

1) Grundy/JHF to Cripps(M6)/Rozee(F6) (4 rooks on field, Dixon at R3, miss Hayes, probably biggest points jump)
    2) Grundy/JHF to any mid (like Oliver/Zerrett) and Coleman (F6) (as above, little more cash, less likelihood Coleman is in team EOY)
    3)Grundy/Red dot rook (Skinner/Baldwin) to Hayes (R3) + Cripps (leaves extra rook on field, but gets Hayes in, more typical type move)

Normally would lock and load 3, but like Colemans role/price, and Rozee definite role change that coincides with his team remembering how to football, surely doesnt get changed?

4. The Real Slim

April 28, 2022 at 11:49 am

Xerri gone for a month now need help here

Hayes>>Hayes
    Grundy>>Gawn

And Field Durdin

Or

Hayes>>Coleman
    Grundy>>Gawn

And field Coleman

Have to get rid of Xerri next week and probs have to pay the extra money Hayes makes this week

5. Dulcify

April 28, 2022 at 12:11 pm

Some good news for this week. Greg Clark to debut for the Eagles.

• The Chosen Won™®©

April 28, 2022 at 12:19 pm

Maybe once i trade Xerri, Hayes and Grundy i might be able to get him lol

Good Luck

• jjbkeeper

April 28, 2022 at 12:31 pm

Given he is a mature age, do we think there is any chance that G. Clark will outscore Rozee on debut? I’m trading out a fattened cow-like object in W.Rioli, and tossing up whether to go to Clark via DDP and bank the money for a future premo, or bring in Rozee given he has the AFL-level experience and probably more job security.

• Dulcify

April 28, 2022 at 12:48 pm

Feel your pain Greg. Good luck with your trades this week.

If there is no further carnage with team selections tonight, I can do Hayes and Xerri to Clark and big Maxy.

• The Chosen Won™®©

April 28, 2022 at 1:39 pm

Did i mention Paddy Mac and Dixon..:(

Good Luck in 2023 me

• JungleMuffin

April 28, 2022 at 4:17 pm

O

Here, have a donut!

• Dulcify

April 28, 2022 at 4:33 pm

O, that’s not a donut. 🍩that’s a donut.

• The Octopus

April 28, 2022 at 1:05 pm

Woo hoo. Clacker finally getting a run.

6. jjbkeeper

April 28, 2022 at 12:32 pm

• Dulcify

April 28, 2022 at 12:54 pm

I feel Clark can score similar to Rozee who has been disappointing so far. Personally I prefer Clark over Rozee. Will depend upon roles.
      Good luck.

7. Chris

April 28, 2022 at 1:32 pm

Who scores more:
    Oliver, S Hayes & Coleman
    OR
    Clark, Gawn & Durdin??

8. PowerAde

April 28, 2022 at 3:24 pm

Ruck carnage. murphy’s says Gawn does his knee this week.

9. Scott

April 28, 2022 at 3:26 pm

1. Oliver and Gawn similar (110-130) Hayes and Clark similar (70-80), Coleman (80) much better than Durdin (40) although he may score better this week against North.

10. JungleMuffin

April 28, 2022 at 4:14 pm

Where were you during the Great Ruck Crisis of ’22?

Carnage boys! Yeeehawww! This sort of crazy shit makes DT fun. Makes trading interesting this week too. I’ve got to reshuffle lineup to dodge a donut and even keep J Hayes one more week. Love the action!

• Darce

April 28, 2022 at 9:10 pm

Agree, it’s entertaining. Have to wait to trade Xerri next week, it’s all sorts of madness

• pendles4brownlow

April 29, 2022 at 12:01 am

I have to keep Ward another week. Makes it interesting.

• pendles4brownlow

April 29, 2022 at 12:05 am

And Rachele

11. Shan Shan (@shan888shan)

April 28, 2022 at 4:32 pm

Thoughts on these options
    1. Xerri to Goldy and field Hayes Dgrade McDonald to Clark?
    2. Xerri to Goldy and English to Max
    3. Field Durdin and English to Max and Dgrade McDonald to Clark
    4. Field Durdin and Hayes then Dgrade McDonald to Clark and Dgrade Ward to McComb

I currently have 1 but I want to do 4, Durdin is the dirty word, he could get some goals…
    I think English plays next week.

12. Mike

April 28, 2022 at 5:14 pm

Giant’s Cooper Hamilton is getting a gig this week.
    Don’t know much about him yet, just a piece now on AFL dot com. Might be handy for some.

13. Steve

April 28, 2022 at 8:02 pm

Grundy-Gawn
    Hayes-Hayes

Grundy-Gawn
    Ward-clark

Grunday-rob
    Rachelle-gresham

14. Russell Pindick

April 28, 2022 at 8:31 pm

Gawn or Oliver for Cappy?

15. Ash

April 28, 2022 at 8:50 pm

Upgrading to a premo, Thoughts on Titch at price and as a POD versus Oliver or Mills?

16. Phteven

April 28, 2022 at 9:21 pm

I’ve got 22 green dots on field and a playing emergency on each line, so I’m happyish

• pendles4brownlow

April 28, 2022 at 11:59 pm

I have that to, but my emergencies play early. The ones who aren’t playing are Dixon, Hough, Ward and Stein. They all play before or at the same time as Gawn, so I can’t use the loop hole to check Gawn’s score as VC. D’oh! I think I will just C Gawn, but it would have been nice to have the insurance.

• pendles4brownlow

April 29, 2022 at 12:02 am

VC going on Short, but less confidence that will work.

• pendles4brownlow

April 29, 2022 at 12:07 am

My grammar has gone to crap on this site. I have to slap myself about the head and ban myself from posting. See you all in a couple of weeks.

17. George

April 28, 2022 at 11:31 pm

Any help would be appreciated
    upgrading Xerri to either Short or Cripps
    Don’t know who to pick out of the 2

• pendles4brownlow

April 28, 2022 at 11:53 pm

Short has been brilliant for my team. I am glad I got him at the start. He is priced at what you can expect from him. You can get 130 one week, but 70 the next. His average is 106 and his BE is 102. He plays witches hats this week, so it should be one of his higher performances, and he has the Pies, Hawks and Bombers to follow, so he has a good run. Unfortunately, he does not always take advantage of the easier teams.

Cripps, however, has averaged 125 if you take out his injury interrupted game. His BE is also 102, but you can have a realistic expectation that he will achieve it. He is also playing a set of witches hats this weekend and has a harder run to follow, but I have more confidence in him performing consistently until well after the byes. I do believe he will wilt after carrying the Blues for yet another season, but he is good for a while yet.

How you do the upgrade depends on the DPP options in your team. I went Xerri to Hayes and Ward to Cripps as I had some cash. If you don’t have the cash go JHF to Cripps. JHF has almost peaked.

• NP

April 29, 2022 at 8:36 am

Yep I ‘m finally getting cripps in (picking crouch over cripps has killed my season)

I don’t honestly love cripps, but at 60-70k cheaper than his equivalent premiums (petracca, walsh etc) I think it is worth it.

My plan is to move on from him when his bye comes up rd 12 and hopefully he is worth 100k more, and then probably not get him back and pick a premo who is one the rise for the second half of the season.

• George to NP

April 29, 2022 at 2:39 pm

You’re wasting trades if your planning to buy Cripps now and then sell him in his R12 bye
          Doesn’t make any sense

• George

April 29, 2022 at 2:34 pm

I have Gawn already so Grundy to Preuss is happening which leaves me 500k to put on Xerri so I can grab anyone just keen on Short or Cripps as they both leave me with decent money for the following weeks upgrade.
        Its just hard to pick between the two as Cripps is just an absolute beast but is way more likely to get injured as he is always so hard at the ball in the contest
        And Short’s fantasy game is unreal, he loves the +6’s and he works so hard for cheap possessions at back
        The struggles of fantasy footy 😂

18. Darce

April 29, 2022 at 9:17 am

I’m in a similar boat.. torn between bringing in Short this week (playing Rachele onfield) or bringing in Oliver (playing de Koning on field for 1 wk but I’m only after a league win) before a price rise. I can get the other next week if all goes well.

• Darce

April 29, 2022 at 10:36 pm

Happy I went with Short (VC) in the end. Fantasy luck after a luckless week of outs

19. Yeeter

April 29, 2022 at 3:58 pm

Keeping it simple this week. 1 up 1 down. Rachele to Clark, Xerri to Cripps. Can afford Mills, but Cripps’ value still worth the buy.

20. Eric the half a bee