Fantasy 101

Trent’s Take: Fantasy Byes 2

Last year’s winner helps you make your moves for this week.

The next two weeks should be taken collectively to make sure you don’t end up with 23 players one week and only 17 the next. For many coaches, R14 will present the most challenges but with trading preparation this week, no coaches should be caught short.

The easiest method is to trade the combination of non-players and R14 maxed out rookies to players coming off their bye. I will focus on the R12 bye teams, but you could bring in a R13 rookie who is on his bye if you still have 19-20 players for both weeks. An example would be Patrick Ambrose at 221K, who scored 21. The problem is obvious for all of these types of players – you are not bringing them in for scoring, but for a warm body whose score hopefully won’t count, but whose cash saving enables you to get a player who does count (this means don’t bring in a rookie in R13 or 14 if they are your 18th player). The opposite is true for Luke Edwards 189K and 55 and Joel Amartey 200 K and 74 as their bye is R14 when you are more likely to need them, but they are options for this week if you by some weird awesome bye planning are already stacked for R14 or with 4 trades next week you know you can get Amartey this week and definitely still have 18 next week.

Geelong

This might be controversial, but I am not looking to bring in any Geelong players this week. The reason is simple, Stewart is tagging and with a BE of 112, is therefore a watch. The other main players are those with injury enforced high BE’s and therefore they can wait a week or two. You want two out of the following in the next 3-4 weeks: Duncan, Guthrie, and Dangerfield, but with Dangerfield back soon, the Guthrie effect (that is Guthrie scores lower when Danger plays) means I want Duncan for R14 or 15.

Of the three low-cost Geelong players who have played recently: De Koning, Evans and Holmes, I don’t want any of them because once those premiums are back, I think most have poor job security. I think this also works for Higgins, Menegola, and even Selwood- whilst they might score higher this week, when Duncan and Danger are back on full minutes, they move to the scoring periphery again.

Giants

All the talk are the Giants premiums Whitfield and Kelly, and I certainly will be getting one of them. Whitfield has the higher BE of 102 to Kelly’s 96 and both are excellent choices. There is just one small caveat on Whitfield and that is Bailey Scott. He tagged Brad Hill closer than a cheap suit two weeks ago from half-back to half forward. It would seem logical to send Scott to Whitfield and we know Whitfield has not always handled the close tag that well in the past.

At this point of the week, I am torn between the two, and if Scott didn’t play than Whitfield is the number 1 trade target either this week or next. Both Hopper and Ward present some value, although Ward has already risen 171 K and is 632K. Both present an interesting cash grab analysis with say Duncan. You could go Ward/Hopper for 2-3 weeks hoping they rise 40-60 K whilst Duncan drops that amount (Neale also fits this idea). Worth a thought if you can stomach the potential pain of buying them but being unable to sell them when you like due to other injury carnage.

Gold Coast

Miller is the main midfield buy because of his consistency and the lack of tagging he is now doing, and up against an injury ravaged Fremantle, he is also a VC player (863 K BE 108). His price tag is out of reach unless you jump down to Malcolm Rosas 180 K and a BE of 14. This can only be done if you have 18 players minimum both weeks (you are not buying a player like Rosas to score points). He scored 44 against Hawthorn and looked okay, but so do most players against Hawthorn. If named, he is an option.

Hawthorn

I don’t think any of the Hawthorn premiums are worth it, unless you want Mitchell.  If O’Meara’s still out than Wingard at 586 K FWD is a cut price option (77 BE) for the risk desirous.  I haven’t bought Reeves because I cannot play him on ground in the next two weeks and some of you might be the same. Therefore, I won’t get Reeves, but if you could field him on ground than he is a great buy at 245K.

North Melbourne

Read the Hawthorn comments (assuming you have Hall or Ziebell).  There are zero other premiums you want and none of their almost premiums you want now. Hawthorn, Geelong and North’s lack of buying targets is the main reason for GWS players being on the radar.  If they named a rookie, I would consider, but it seems doubtful.

Port Adelaide

Is it too late for Ladhams? Probably with Lycett due back in 2 weeks, but at 499K FWD/RUCK, he has value, but it might run out when you most need him, namely R14.  Would you go Darcy to Ladhams this week? A gamble, the safer option is Reeves and get Grundy in a few weeks’ time (unless you go O’Brien).

All year the best options at Port are Wines, Houston and Boak, who after ploughing on through the last few games injured, he could have a few good weeks (699k and a BE of 112). He is super consistent without being a 120 player. Wines was a good play 4 weeks ago and is now 771 K and a BE 103. Geelong give-up scores to midfielders/wingers and half backers who get the ball slightly back of centre (Mayne 123, Crisp 110, Greenwood 119, Lukosius 103, Steele 117, Crouch 111).

This makes Wines and his everywhere in the midfield and defensive line teammate Houston value. I started with Houston, but sold him after his shoulder injury. If he returns like he did against Fremantle (97) rather than playing sore and a 45 against Collingwood then he is some value, and risk, for those who can’t afford Whitfield.

Upshot: last week was 1673 and ranked 1173. Will get one of Miller, Whitfield, or Kelly. I am wanting to sell maxed out R14 rookies like Sholl, Jordon, Rowe and even RCD.

Trent Sutcliffe, coach of 'aluniesheis', won AFL Fantasy Classic in 2020, one of the most challenging seasons to date.

1. Aby Benny

June 8, 2021 at 7:13 pm

Hold H.Jones and downgrade RCD to Amartney to field 18 last bye or downgrade Jones to Amartney (bye last round) for cash gen and hold rcd for another round but field 17 next round? This is assuming no cheap rooks play/debut this week.

• Aby Benny

June 8, 2021 at 7:13 pm

only chance 18 play with second option is if wilson the collingwood rook is named

June 8, 2021 at 9:13 pm

Always a tough call. I don’t think i will get Amartey as I don’t want a donut next week. In your case, i would do option A.

• Aby Benny

June 8, 2021 at 11:06 pm

yeah hopefully some good rooks come through this week playing last round bye

2. Henry

June 8, 2021 at 7:25 pm

Great work again Trent. This week I am trading out Warne, Highmore and Wilson and bringing in Reeve and Lachy Jones. For my 3rd pick I can afford Whitfield but this would leave just $7k in the kitty. Or I could get Amartey leaving me with $417k to splash on a gorilla (Touk probably or Parish) for round 14. Which is best – spend or save this week? (Both plans will probably leave me with 20 on field.

June 8, 2021 at 9:17 pm

Best case scenario is to hold a trade into Sunday and see if you need to field a stronger 19th or 20th player, but the Amartey decision is Friday. In relaity, Amartey and all similar others will not play on ground in 2 weeks time, so really they are cash and just a short term fix and therefore don’t throw out your planning to get them.

Touk will still probably outscore Whitfield. I am spending this week, because I will still have maxed out rookies to cull next week, and with four trades I will trying to do a 2 -2 split- like Jordon to a rookie and then RCD to a 700 K player like Stewart.

3. Shaun

June 8, 2021 at 7:43 pm

Traded in Darcy last week for Grundy, is it an option to trade him straight back to Grundy this week, I have Reeves so would still be able to field 2 rucks. The reason I am considering this is because I have no trust in any of the other ruckman. Is this an option?

• Bec

June 8, 2021 at 7:52 pm

I’d wait at least until after the bye if not the week after. Grundy’s BE is 144 from memory, he’s def not playing this week either .
      I’d go to ROB if u have to field some1.

from the girl who loves her feet slimed

June 8, 2021 at 9:20 pm

Grundy if named might be an option, but otherwise he is out for 2 weeks and will drop cash the third week. An option for a week might be Amartey or Reeves and then Grundy in 3-4 weeks, unless you back in Ladhams. Amartey and Reeves play each other so there will be some tap outs at least.

• JMD012

June 8, 2021 at 10:16 pm

I wouldn’t trade Grundy straight back in. That is a waste of a trade.
      It is unfortunate that Darcy got injured. If it was me, I would personally go to a rookie and then upgrade another line to a premo. And hope you can go up to Grundy in round 15. Although it is an unfortunate scenario with Darcy. I feel for you mate

4. Nathan Grant

June 8, 2021 at 8:02 pm

S.Darcy & H.Jones for Whitfield & Amartey. Then who to trade out of D.Robertson & Hind. Then do I get Ziebell or Titch. If trade out Hind instead of Robertson could get Miller or anyone. Thoughts…..

June 8, 2021 at 9:21 pm

Like it- I am seriously considering Hind out this week to a gun also. If not this week then next- Hind via DPP to Miller is a winner.

5. Bailey

June 8, 2021 at 9:47 pm

Hey Trent. Great work as always. At the moment, I am only going to have 19 or 20 next week (if Lazzaro and Brockman play) so which rookies from the round 12 or 13 bye would you consider? Already getting Reeves so maybe Ambrose, Rosas, Madden? Is there anyone else I have forgotten?

Appreciate the help 👍

• Aby Benny

June 8, 2021 at 11:08 pm

rosas and madden will probs be dropped, ambrose scored a 20. Madden could be a chance to come back into the side this week. Hopefully some debutants from these bye rounds this week.

June 9, 2021 at 12:04 am

I think we’re just waiting for team lists and being hopeful- Rosas we hope, but he is just as likely to be dropped. Ambrose might have slightly better JS but the same outcome for all apart from Reeves, a potential 45 but it is the money saved for the premium which is the key. Briggs we hope to play again at some point. But really, team lists will be everything.

6. Aditya Sarin

June 8, 2021 at 9:52 pm

Hey Trent Great Article,
    What are your thoughts on these trades,
    Sholl to Whitfield
    Jones to Reeves
    RCD to Higgins
    Is there any other mid priced options under 610k, in any position instead of Higgins.

• Aditya Sarin

June 8, 2021 at 9:52 pm

That have a R13 OR R12 BYE.

June 9, 2021 at 12:13 am

Houston in DEF and the obvious ones are Pendlebury and Martin, but for R14 bye coverage, it is limited to riskier options like Anderson and Wingard.

• Anthony

June 9, 2021 at 11:21 pm

Aluniesheis said Anderson & Wingard, but I also like going early on rowell, and definitely houston as well.

7. Jake

June 8, 2021 at 9:54 pm

Good stuff Trent. Just wondering should I do Phillips and sholl to Whitfield and touk or sholl and Bergman to Whitfield and Tom Stewart or and defender around that price

• Aby Benny

June 8, 2021 at 11:09 pm

1st option looks good.

June 9, 2021 at 12:16 am

I sold Phillips last week- all of the maxed out mid pricers and rookies can be sold to whatever options presents the most value- Sholl is a sell, and Bergman if not named- and yes those you mentioned are definite buys.

8. Ashley

June 8, 2021 at 10:09 pm

Great write up as usual.

D: Laird, Docherty, Stewart, Harmes, Cumming, Idun (Koschitzke, Burgess)
    M: Macrae, Merrett, Oliver, Taranto, Lyons, RCD, Byrnes, Jordon (Bianco, O’Connor)
    R: Gawn, Grundy (Flynn, Reeves)
    F: Kelly, Zorko, Hind, Heeney, Phillips, Poulter (Jones, Rowe)
    Cash: 71k
    A little stumped as to where to start my trades this week. Any thoughts as to where to begin?

June 9, 2021 at 12:10 am

O’Connor might get dropped, but in terms of maxed out players you are looking at Jones, Rowe, RCD, Jordon and if you are game Hind and really game Zorko as he is out for the next 2 games. You are obviously carrying Grundy, so maybe sell some R14 players like RCD to any 170 K rookie named and upgrade Jordon to a premium, plus maybe a Rowe.

9. Stu

June 8, 2021 at 11:18 pm

Will Rowell affect Miller negatively when he comes back or have no effect?

June 9, 2021 at 12:06 am

Hard to say, he will probably be on limited minutes of 60-70 % game time. It might affect Anderson and Weller and Swallow who can play wing and half forward more than Miller.

10. Charlie Roberts

June 9, 2021 at 1:22 am

Hey Trent, would you approve of this trade:

Hind -> whitfield
    Jordan -> Miller
    Scott -> Amarty or (239k)

I am looking good for the next 2 byes, and will hopefully have only 1 rookie on field after bye (Poulter).
    Obviously the big concern is trading out Hind, where I still have Ridley, Markov and RCD (just on field for byes) as options to trade out of my field.

cheers mate!

June 9, 2021 at 9:47 am

I am a fan- Hind is a good sell, he is okay to keep obviously, but his almost premium status means you can get him to almost anyone.

11. Petracca

June 9, 2021 at 6:33 am

First 2 trades are Dev Rob and Jordon to J.Kelly and Whitfield (using up my bank from last week).

For my final trade, do I do:
    1) Flynn (R3) to Reeves: he won’t play but increases cash for next week and takes advantage of his -ve BE
    2) Hind to anyone <683k (e.g Houston, Selwood, Rowell)
    3) Byrnes to Haynes

Was always planning to do 1 but getting an extra premo for this week with 2 does interest me. Hind does seem like he can do a job for a bit longer though.

thoughts?

June 9, 2021 at 9:45 am

1 I think as 2 and 3 can wait a week and Byrnes is not sell until next week.

12. Rory T

June 9, 2021 at 8:09 am

Hey Trent, loved the article again,
    Just went back and watched the Roos saints game and you are right Bailey scott didn’t leave hill’s side, so would u get kelly over Whitfield this week and then get Whitfield the week after if Scott is named thanks?

June 9, 2021 at 9:44 am

That is my plan at this point and because his BE means even if he beats the tag and goes 120 which he can do easily, he won’t go up massively in price.

13. andre

June 9, 2021 at 8:31 am

hey Trent love your work but stop scaring us with stuff like the scott tag haha.

I have a dilemma.

(1) h jones, rcd, koschitzke to l hunter, whitfield, reeves

(2) jordon/harmes, rcd, koschitzke to miller, whitfield, reeves (extra player this week)

another option include houston instead of whitfield to get up to touk

I think your positivity about touk has me leaning towards option 2

do you have an opinion on taranto?

June 9, 2021 at 9:43 am

Let’s hope he beats the tag or it doesn’t happen, but like Hill, Whitfield is susceptible to a hard tag.

Touk’s numbers are excellent- the only possible downside is whether Serong tags- but let’s hope not. I like option 2. Extra player this week.

• andre

June 9, 2021 at 10:43 am

legend appreciate it

14. Macca

June 9, 2021 at 9:03 am

Hey Trent,
    Option on N.Haynes 445k value option down back potentially?
    & K.Langford 663k, McGrath out for the rest of the year could provide some upside?

June 9, 2021 at 9:40 am

I like Langford, but on his bye this week. I think they’ll keep him on a wing. Haynes’ season has been interrupted and now with Ash and Cumming, he has lost his intercept role- too risky

15. Denny

June 9, 2021 at 9:08 am

Hey Trent, thanks for your articles!

Thinking of ‘downgrading’ to Lachie Jones for bye coverage and cash generation. Do you think it’s worth doing or is he too expensive? Not much else to trade to that I don’t already have and that doesn’t have a bye to come.

Cheers

June 9, 2021 at 9:39 am

Agreed, generally don’t like it as he is already near max price and after R14 you don’t want him on field. Maybe wait and look at teams, but you are right in that DEF rookies are non-existent.

16. L

June 9, 2021 at 9:22 am

Hey Trent, out of j Kelly or hall who’s more of a priority to bring in this week?

June 9, 2021 at 9:37 am

I own hall and think he is a good VC option also, so because of his ceiling I think Hall.

17. Screech

June 9, 2021 at 9:50 am

Hello Trent, thanks for writing your article…its very insightful. I know Duncan will be cheaper next week but what if I can afford him and not Miller? ie:
    RCD, Warner & Jordon> Duncan, Reeves & Houston w/6k left. Thoughts?

• Screech

June 9, 2021 at 10:14 am

actually, I forgot whitfield, so swap duncan for whitfield and it makes 100k left…

June 9, 2021 at 10:45 am

Go for it- they are good options

• Screech

June 9, 2021 at 11:27 am

no worries, cheers. the only other option would be ward…like you suggested in the article. however, he would join j kelly, whitfield and taranto who are already in my side…

18. Doug

June 9, 2021 at 10:20 am

Hey Trent, downgrading Rowe to Amartey for cash but then sort of stuck on trades 2 & 3 with both Jordan and DevRob out giving me $1.25million and 2 options to spend it..

1. Get in 2 under priced semi premos like Houston/Higgins/Ward/Lukosius
    2. Go 1 uber premo like Whitfield/Wines/Titch & 1 rook and bank some $$ for next week??

June 9, 2021 at 10:48 am

If the rookie in point 2 is not number 18 then go for it, otherwise option 1 but I would have Higgins as no 4 on that list with the main mids coming back.

19. Cody

June 9, 2021 at 11:10 am

Hey trent
    Laird, stewart, daniel, cumming, ridley, sholl (Kosi Highmore)
    Taranto, Merret, Walsh, Brayshaw, Ba Smith, Harmes, Jordon, Byrnes (RCD, Mead)
    Gawn Flynn (Reeves)
    Zorko, Kelly, Hind, Hunter, Phillips, Poulter(treacy, cahill)
    Ut: Macrae
    Not sure what to do this week. have had enough of sholl so was thinking something along the lines of
    Macrae->Amartey
    Collier dawkins-> 170k rook(maybe joel western from freo if named)
    sholl->whitfield
    this leaves me with 19 players this week and 18 this week(17 because of zorko) which obviously isnt a good idea
    Any ideas?

June 9, 2021 at 4:00 pm

Yep good trades, maybe instead of Western we’ll get a miracle rookie from the teams which ad the bye last week, maybe Rosas.

20. Kate

June 9, 2021 at 12:02 pm

Hey Trent, thanks for the read. I am thinking W.Phillips/Jones/Rowe for Dusty/L.Edwards/Amartey (or debutant). I’d like to bring in Whitfield but keep falling short and it is time to dump these guys from my team for now. Next week I’ll have the likes of RCD, Byrnes, Brockman to play with.

• Kate

June 9, 2021 at 12:59 pm

Would it make any sense to trade up Harmes to Whitfield? I have Mills, Laird, Hall, Short. I guess though I will get more points upgrading a rookie to Dusty, with the aim of getting Whitfield in the next round or two? I’m not playing byes.

June 9, 2021 at 3:58 pm

I am entertaining trading Harmes, as also with Sholl and DPP you can get to Miller and Kelly, so no trade away, Harmes is not a keeper and therefore you sell when trading maximizing both his cost and the new players score. This week is pretty close, he could still go 90 against Collingwood though and therefore Jordon is a better trade.

June 9, 2021 at 3:59 pm

Be careful, all of your trade targets have the bye next week.

21. Harmes

June 9, 2021 at 12:07 pm

Hi Trent. Some advice please.

Thoughts on trading Jordon to Nick Haynes? Gets me the cash to go Rowe to Whitfield..

1. Jordon and Rowe to Nick Haynes and Whitfield (19 playing next week) or

2. Scott and Rowe to Amartey and Whitfield (18 playing next week?)

June 9, 2021 at 3:55 pm

Not keen on Haynes- I need evidence of his role- he has been injured and moved around. Go 2 and punt Jordon next week. Rowe will probably lose a similar amount of cash this week to Jordon but score 20 less

22. Luke

June 9, 2021 at 12:53 pm

Ranked 260th. Trading zorko, RCD and scott this week to Whitfield, Houston and Rosa’s. Next week going butts and Byrnes down, Poulter to hunter and Jordan to Duncan/wines.
    Thoughts? Cheers legend.

June 9, 2021 at 3:53 pm

Greta stuff- agreed if I had Zorko I’d trade looking for points and hoping to get him in 4-5 weeks time.

23. Alex

June 9, 2021 at 2:56 pm

Hi Trent. Best R12 or 13 rookie to bring in? Or take Amartey (say for Rowe, if it means RCD to Whitfield) if you can still make 19 for R14?

June 9, 2021 at 3:52 pm

I think so, no point buying a one week rookie, hopefully Rosas keeps his spot- but it is looking doubtful if Rowell and Bowes back.

24. Jess

June 9, 2021 at 4:08 pm

Hi Trent. What are your thoughts on Haynes? Thinking of offloading Sholl to him. Thanks.

• Jess

June 9, 2021 at 4:10 pm

Sorry just read your response above

25. bomberpap

June 9, 2021 at 4:52 pm

Hi Trent,
    Got these 3 trades currently:

RCD, Berry and Scott > Houston, Reeves & Haynes.

Fielding 20 this week and have 19 playing next week before trades.

Note your feelings on Haynes, do you think it’s best to grab Amartey this week instead of him? Would mean I start with 18 next week before the 4 trades and an additional $245k to spend.

Otherwise will grab Amartey next week but he’ll be approx $40k more expensive if he scores a 60.

June 9, 2021 at 9:03 pm

With those playing numbers I’d be grabbing Amartey over Haynes because with the cash you’d be able to get a premo next week.

• bomberpap

June 10, 2021 at 10:56 am

Thanks Trent.. I’m thinking of going Jordon to Danger next week with the additional cash. Danger a far better option than Haynes overall!

26. Bec

June 9, 2021 at 10:31 pm

Any idea how long Guthrie will be out for, Held him through his bye, thought he would be playing this week
    after he finished the game out b4 the bye.

My trades this week:

Farrah to Amartey
    Rowe to Reeves
    Warner to Whitfield

$266k left

or should I side ways trade Guthrie to Took, and which Rookie to i not get.
    Was planning on Reeves and Flynn next week as I held Grundy and have Gawn,
    then get rid of Flynn next week and have Reeves as my r3 hopefully for the year, or a few weeks at least

from the girl who loves her feet slimed

June 10, 2021 at 11:02 am

Good trades- I’d keep Guthrie if I had 18-19 good players this week as he should be back next week where he will be more valuable.

• Bec

June 10, 2021 at 8:47 pm

cheers Trent,
        I ended up keeping Rowe, to get 18 players,
        and traded RCD to get to Whitfield.

from the girl who loves her feet slimed

27. JMD012

June 9, 2021 at 11:54 pm

Hey Trent, always love your work mate.
    I have a question for you. Who would you rather keep and who would you rather trade, Scott or Waterman? I need to keep 1 and trade 1 in the lead up to Round 14 (need one of them to play for the Round 14 bye and beyond) who do you think? I can’t decide.
    Hope the year is treating you well.

June 10, 2021 at 11:05 am

Scott can go, at least Waterman/Scott are not losing money this week, but I think Scott’s reached his peak. with a BE of 50 and Waterman’s is 34.

28. Battered Savs

June 10, 2021 at 10:16 am

Thoughts on Nick Haynes? cheap and dropped over 200k

June 10, 2021 at 11:06 am

Not a fan as I mentioned above- no evidence of clear role and his intercept role divided between Cumming and Ash. Seems to be stuck as a part time defensive winger.

29. DK

June 10, 2021 at 12:45 pm

Hey Trent,
    what’s your option on trading out any of the following
    Phillips, Markov or Jordan, all have breakevens that are rather high and probably not achievable.
    how would you rank them in order or trading them out means
    Also what is your option on trading on of these guys to Houston? does Houston have enough upside or would it be too sideways?
    cheers

June 10, 2021 at 2:14 pm

Jordon has his bye to come and is a sell, but you could hold this week. Phillips first and then Markov. I think there is little difference and so you decide by the player you can trade to.

Houston is interesting and is better than the above 3. But a BE of 98 means he is an okay option if you are cash strapped.

I am wanting premiums or rookies, so even Newcombe is a buy this week. May get you to Miller or Duncan type.

• DK

June 10, 2021 at 3:02 pm

Thinking of this week going
        Fyfe > Whitfield
        Philips > Houston
        Rowe > Reeves
        5k remaining
        Hence why wondering who I should trade out?
        Or also thinking of downgrading Scott to a 170k instead of Phillips trade

June 10, 2021 at 3:44 pm

Jai Newcombe looks a gift worth running with this week

30. WP

June 10, 2021 at 1:47 pm

Is there any news on whether Zorko will challenge or accept his one match ban ? Any timeframe on when we will know ? Thanks.

June 10, 2021 at 2:09 pm

Accepted and won’t play til R15. I would avoid trading if I could.

31. PowerAde

June 10, 2021 at 2:56 pm

thoughts on Greene?

June 10, 2021 at 3:43 pm

Better options I think, and is he definitely back this week?

32. Ross Lying

June 10, 2021 at 3:55 pm

Great article, is Stewart tagging? I know he did a job on Dusty but has he done it in other games? He was my upgrade from Jordan this week.

33. Jackson Richardson

June 10, 2021 at 5:40 pm

Is getting reeves Newcombe and Mitchell too many hawks players. Interested to see newcombes role.

34. Drop

June 10, 2021 at 9:14 pm

Hey Trent, thoughts on b crouch