Fantasy 101

Trent’s Take: POD Chasing (RUC & FWD)

Last year’s winner goes POD hunting.

Last week I thought the rucks would take about 20 seconds to discuss because no one is chasing a POD in the ruck unless you are sideways trading from Flynn to Bryan. But with Gawn’s less than awesome display against Goldstein, just maybe there are some options for the rainy day if Gawn or Grundy get injured or if you’re looking for an interim step from Flynn to the top two.  Here are the POD rucks, namely rucks with 5% ownership or less,

RUCKS

Rowan Marshall 3.47% 707K with a BE of 108 and an AVG of 93. The main advantage for Marshall is he’s DPP Ruck/FWD, and his consistency of averaging 90-95 even with Ryder in the team. And he plays the Suns this week who have conceded a truck load of point to Rucks.  St Kilda has a run of 4 games after the Suns game at Marvel and the R14 bye.  His foot injury had meant a disrupted preparation, but he is a proven scorer and would be a good FWD option with DPP flexibility. Personally, I feel as a FWD his price will always be around 700-740 K and therefore he can be bought at any time, but with 4 games at Marvel maybe he could prove valuable if Gawn/Grundy get injured.

Tim English 3.33% 595 K with a BE of 117 and an AVG of 74. Like Marshall with DPP, but unlike Marshall he hasn’t yet found the consistency, although his avg is affected by the injury score of 50.  A tough run of games after Carlton makes English a tough option and he is only viable if Martin is out for a period of time.

Nick Bryan 1.58% 195 K with a BE of -4 and a 1 game AVG of 67.  He passed the eye test, but in the end it will depend upon Phillips’s availability. However, if he is chosen again, he could be a good swap for both of Meek and Flynn for a short-term cash grab.  He might play the mummy this week or Flynn, one is a nightmare, the other is a buy. At least by playing each other you can straight swap if Flynn rested again.

Tom Hickey 2.62 % 525K with a BE of 56 and an AVG of 79. Who would have thought, even as a Swans supporter I am more surprised with Hickey than I am with Warner, Campbell, and Gulden. However, his next two opponents are Grundy and Gawn.  What I find more interesting are ruckmen scores against Hickey: Stanley 45, Mumford 88 (Hickey injury), Wright 50, Nankervis 66, O’Brien 48, McInerney 76.  Maybe, instead of buying Hickey don’t captain Gawn or Grundy.

Upshot: Bryan as a sideways trade for Flynn or Meek is the only option. Marshall and English are only factors at their prices if they are the main ruck. Grundy is gold and Gawn, if you don’t have him is a wait as he will drop good cash this week against the ruck nemesis Hickey. Every other ruck, including O’Brien, could be downgraded to Bryan so you can buy Gawn in 2 weeks.

FORWARDS

Looking into the FWD’s makes you realise most of the POD’s are POD’s because they have a history of getting injured or inconsistent scoring, and therefore all of the POD FWD’s are short term cash grabs based on cash generation and Cal’s Scale of Hardness. This is the long list before we pluck the eyes of 5, H. McKay, Bosenavulagi, Hall, Heeney, Daicos, Hunter, Higgins, J. Cameron, Bailey, Owies, Mihocek, Rozee, Atkins, Walters, Weller, Billings.

Aaron Hall 3% 575K with a BE of 38 and an AVG of 82. Hall has disaster plastered across his back. Nearly every fantasy player has been stung by a Hall injury or omission, but here is the big but. Aside from the injury affected games of 11 and 35, he has scored 99, 123, 143 and he plays Collingwood. I can’t bring myself to do it, as he is likely be injured on 25. But with most of these FWD’s I think we are looking at cash and games- next 4 games Coll, Haw, Ess, St K….very tempting, especially if it is an upgrade from a Rowe type of player.

Josh Daicos 3% 522K with a BE of 58 and an AVG of 66. I tossed up between a trade with Daicos/ Bolton v Sidey/Farrar and went the losing score. But, Daicos did exactly what we wanted to see last week- in the centre. He is a great buy for a 4-6 week stretch. Round 14 bye, but with a tough stretch after the initial game against North might be a cause for concern, but for me, a legitimate sideways from Gulden if you don’t have red dots to cover.

Lachie Hunter 3% 653K with a BE of 110 and AVG of 83. Watched his game last week and his role did change significantly from an 80-90% split in the forward half to a 50-50.  He is definitely a speculatory buy this week, but for me there are easier options (Josh Kelly), but Hunter rarely misses a game through injury. When most will go Kelly, Hunter is a gamble worth considering if you don’t have too many Dogs already. He has 3 out of the next 4 games at Marvel against Carlton, St Kilda and Melbourne. Who is willing to pull the trigger, you just know that if he scores 110 everyone will be upgrading a rookie to Hunter next week?

Jack Billings 1% 644K with a BE of 106 and an AVG of 89. Billings’ frustration to fantasy coaches has returned, but his FWD status at least makes him a conversation piece. Has a great run of games and seemingly can score irrespective of position, for example his season high of 122 he played 60-40 between defensive and forward half. St Kilda do like to use their wingers and so Billings has ample opportunity to get the ball. His next run of games has St Kilda play 4 in a row at Marvel after the Suns game this week.

Connor Rozee 2% 465K with a BE of 55 and an AVG of 62. I thought I’d throw in a player we talked about before the start of the season, but with form and injury fell off the radar.  Whilst the R12 bye makes him a tough buy and his ceiling is not as high as others, if you’re stuck around the Gulden price point Rozee could be a quick hit and grab. 3 games at Adelaide and a fourth v Collingwood before the bye. If ever Rozee is going to go on a 4 round AVG of 90 plus, this is it.

Upshot: All have value and disaster in equal measure. I might revisit my Plan B trade plans last week of Daicos, Bolton and or J. Kelly, however if you a gambler than Hunter or Rozee are options.

Last week was okay, 2020 with an overall ranking of 786. Good Luck everyone, this looks like moving week to me- Round 8 with the potential of limited omissions and good POD’s in all lines means trades will be very different.

Trent Sutcliffe, coach of 'aluniesheis', won AFL Fantasy Classic in 2020, one of the most challenging seasons to date.

Dan

May 4, 2021 at 7:17 pm

Trent, what sort of average would you expect from Hall and Daicos from here? Also, what are your thoughts on Harmes, comes back this week and at 486k looks a good value selection

May 4, 2021 at 7:55 pm

Harmes I wasn’t sold on before. Hall and Daicos are 85-90 I think.

Aby Benny

May 4, 2021 at 7:19 pm

Do you think Bryan will play even if Phillips comes back this week?

bomberpap

May 4, 2021 at 7:30 pm

I think Bryan gets games after his performance last week. Bombers may roll with a 2-ruck structure and look to use Bryan and Phillips in tandem to free up 2M Peter as well. Should be good until Draper gets back as Phillips is just insurance and Draper/Bryan are the future.

May 4, 2021 at 7:56 pm

He didn’t play before Phillips I assume not. Even so, Bryan is probably only a few weeks.

Newt

May 4, 2021 at 7:24 pm

Don’t have enough money for Kelly unless I bring in a basement rook. Should I be grabbing RCD and either Hunter or Bolton? Or hope a 170k rookie is named and go with them and Kelly?

Aby Benny

May 4, 2021 at 8:00 pm

I’d go RCD and hunter, cause RCD has better job security since Cotchin’s out and will be a good cash cow. To decide between hunter and bolton is a 50/50 because of hunters past and potential if he gets last years role back and he’s underpriced, and bolton because of his current form. But both good picks.

May 4, 2021 at 11:31 pm

RCD or Byrnes are hopefully good for a few weeks, but a 170 K rookie is an option as long as they are not just coming into replace a week injury. The BE of Bolton and that he is scoring 100’s skews me, but Hunter will be more of a POD.

bomberpap

May 4, 2021 at 7:28 pm

Great article yet again Trent. Definitely agree that this is moving week, without the forced injury moves I’m thinking a lot of coaches will jump in rank this week if they choose wisely.

Leaves me with a choice of fixing 2 red dots or doing the one up/one down but not being able to reach a premo (Kelly) due to lack of cash:

1) Meek > Bryan/Frederick
    2) Brockman/Waterman > RCD

The only alternative is doing a Gulden > Hall type move that no doubt will popular… but with very little cash in the bank (only $5k), do you think its wise to get the cash generation moving in the right direction again and then get Kelly in for Gulden next week?

Aby Benny

May 4, 2021 at 8:01 pm

I’d prioritise getting cash gen over some mid-priced premium, and get Kelly next week. Will help in long run.

May 4, 2021 at 11:33 pm

I think it is a gamble this week to go double downgrade as the coaches who choose wisely will definitely score 200 with their trades. I am going to try and do 3 weeks of 1 up and 1 down. Last week, this week and hopefully next week. 3 cash generators and 3 premiums. No harm in getting Kelly next week, will only go up 10-20 K.

Scray

May 4, 2021 at 7:28 pm

Just some little side-notes on Aaron Hall:

– His score of 11 came from him being a medical sub in RD2 where he came on in Q4 (not an injury)
    – His other injury affected game was a concussion

This could make picking him more enticing but there is risk as he is very injury prone as the article has said

Dan

May 4, 2021 at 7:38 pm

Is this sustainable for Hall? He did actually play 15 games last year for an adjusted average of 75

Scray

May 4, 2021 at 7:46 pm

I’m by no means an expert but he has never played a full season which is a huge red flag however looking at this year, his only injury affected game has been a concussion which does make it “feel” a bit safer

May 4, 2021 at 11:37 pm

Someone might remember more, but I think his role is very different. Less mid time and half forward and more defensive accumulator and distributor. But still, the question is valid.

May 4, 2021 at 11:35 pm

agreed, 2 injury affected games ( 1 him and the other not him) makes him appealing, certainly, but historically he can’t keep it up. But you only need him for 4-6 weeks. Very enticing indeed.

DoorKnob

May 4, 2021 at 7:38 pm

Sean Darcy 592k, 2.4% ownership averaging 84, breakeven 79, doesn’t play grundy or gawn till after the byes, feel this is a glaring omission.

May 4, 2021 at 11:39 pm

I considered him, but I think your answer as to why is in the first line- 592 K, 84 AVG and 79 BE- there is limited value and the COVID situation with Freo creates an impediment to Optus home games in the short term.

DoorKnob

May 5, 2021 at 1:10 pm

Literally much better value than english or marshall on that logic, he gave ROB a bath couple of week back, putting my money where my mouth is I’ve traded him in 👍

Will

May 4, 2021 at 7:51 pm

Steven May? Averaging 92 without the injury score of 21

Beady Eye

May 4, 2021 at 9:35 pm

Read the title of the article mate

May 4, 2021 at 11:40 pm

Be interesting with no Tomlinson, but he was exceptional last year and this year no different.

Aby Benny

May 4, 2021 at 8:03 pm

Risky but might pay off. I’d get Daniel over him if you can afford as he is underpriced due to his 2 or so bad scores, and is coming back into form.

Cody O'Brien

May 4, 2021 at 8:33 pm

Def: Laird, Stewart, Daniel, Cumming, Chapman, Burgess(Kosi, Highmore)
    Mid: Zerret, Taranto, Walsh, Treloar, Brayshaw(andy), Scholl, Powell, Jordon( Macrae, Mead)
    Fwd: Stephenson, Phillips, Hind, Gulden, Bergman, Farrar( Cahill, Treacy)
    Ut:Jones
    300k in the bank and not sure what to do. 100% gonna downgrade chapman to fredrick for another cash grab which giveds me 438K for the next trade but im not sure what the next best play is. Im gonna trade gulden out but im not sure who to. Can either go to a fwd pod or to a mid pod
    jumped from 12k rank to 9k rank but still a long way behind
    Any thoughts??

May 4, 2021 at 11:42 pm

Basically you go , like you said to 1 up and 1 down- i.e. Frederick type and a Kelly type or two sideways, Daicos for example. Personally, go cash generator and the best FWD you can get with Gulden- Kelly.

Cody O'Brien

May 5, 2021 at 11:15 am

i can get to zeibell, but i think jk’s much better value and leaves me with a heap more cash. Since he has his wing back is that the best choice out of all fwds

May 5, 2021 at 11:50 am

Agreed.. proven 110 AVG in that position.

Cody O'Brien

May 5, 2021 at 1:18 pm

or would it be better to go to someone like a duncan whos 1% ownership or is that a wait til after the bye rounds bc hes r12

Petracca

May 4, 2021 at 9:37 pm

Def: Laird, Stewart, Ridley, Hind, Markov, Chapman (L.Jones, Kosi)

Mid: Macrae, Merrett, Titch, Treloar, Taranto, Serong, Gulden, Jordan (Lazaro, Berry)

Ruck: Grundy, ROB (Flynn)

Fwd: Phillips, Powell, Warner, Bergman, Robertson, Farrar (A.Scott, Rowe)

Util: Campbell

Currently thinking either:

1) Gulden + Campbell -> J.Kelly + RCD. This puts Bergman at D6 for Chapman and RCD at M8 (for Gulden).

2) Gulden + Rowe -> Hall + RCD (+50k).

I feel like 1 is best. Any other suggestions?

May 4, 2021 at 11:44 pm

1 absolutely- the 50 K difference is not enough difference between Kelly and Hall.

Beady Eye

May 4, 2021 at 9:45 pm

A couple of forward PODs I don’t hear mention of are Isaac Smith and Jarman Impey. Both seem kind of random, but Smith has two 70s, two 90s and three tons, and Impey also has a couple of 70s, an 86 and every other game has scored 90 or above.

Smith’s role seems pretty straightforward, but I’m in the dark on Impey… has anyone seen enough of him to know if it’s a role change that’s upped his scoring, or just an extended hot patch?

May 4, 2021 at 11:45 pm

I just think both have limited upside. They consistently score, but avg around 75-80. Impey off half back is getting easy ball because he is a good kick and Smith is playing wing and half forward.

Cam

May 4, 2021 at 10:10 pm

Hey Trent, great article as always.
    Who goes out this week out of Tex and Gulden? Other one goes next week. I’m leaning toward Tex as he is dropping big cash.

Also as a coach around the 2.5k mark do I go for Kelly or take a risky POD like Daicos (round 12 bye is loaded for my team so Daicos over Hall, also why I’m considering going against Kelly) I’m going Kelly currently as I don’t want to miss the boat.

Next week I was planning on a premo mid for Gulden but my round 13 defence is shocking (only Short) so I’m looking at Daniel instead as an underpriced r13 defender and POD (will go Ridley for Markov the week after probably).

What are your thoughts on all this? Thanks

May 4, 2021 at 11:47 pm

Tex for sure and then Gulden, Kelly will still be available next week, but yes, like me, my R12 is looking thin, which might sway me .

Ak

May 4, 2021 at 10:42 pm

Who is the best sub 200k player that can be ideally played on field?
    Also who is best to get under 750k under any line?

May 4, 2021 at 11:50 pm

RCD or Byrnes. No one will guess the highest averaging player under 750 K… Ben Keays. Having said that, Bowes is underrated, but for me Tom Stewart in defence and Josh Kelly FWD.

Luke

May 4, 2021 at 10:50 pm

Hey Trent! Love the article.
    So I was planning to double downgrade my bench with the exception that Aaron hall doesn’t have another big day, been on my trade insights so now have to get him in.

Only had kozi and butts on my bench playing last week. (Hoping Treacy and Brockman play this week)
    Now chapman is injured
    Was thinking chapman to hall and warner to RCD? Next week I’ll be fixing up Brockman if he doesn’t play and another bench rook to get some green dots and use Jordan the week after for jelly.

I honestly see hall going 100 plus this year so don’t want to miss out on the value. Finally hit 1k overall, stoked in my third year. Any advice?

Luke

May 4, 2021 at 10:54 pm

Also have Flynn in utility, hoping to get 2 more games off him for cash gen but could trade him to hall over warner.

May 4, 2021 at 11:53 pm

If Flynn not named- get rid of him. I am selling. The reason is, it will free up my utility spot, which will increasingly be helpful.

Graham

May 5, 2021 at 1:30 am

Trent, great write up. Always value your insight. Would like your feedback on my trades this week. At this stage I’m going Fantasia to RCD and Campbell to Daicos. Although I do have the cash to go Hunter or Kelly instead of Daicos. I just think Daicos presents the best value. Your thoughts?

May 5, 2021 at 8:15 am

Lock it in- Kelly and Hunter will still be a fair price next week.

May 4, 2021 at 11:52 pm

Tough- Warner is certainly not a sell. Chapman to rookie is certainly the play, and then brockman to… can you get to Daicos.

Daniel

May 5, 2021 at 3:58 am

Hi Trent,

Another great article.

Apologies if this is a little off topic but the concept is still relevant – how much is too much money in the bank? My thoughts for this week are Gulden & Walker for either:

McCluggage & Kelly/ S Bolton (at least 423k in the bank)
    McCluggage & RCD (904k)

The the first option strengthens current point scoring, while second option increases future cash generation.

If we look at the team as an investment portfolio, in a game where you need to have a balance of current AND cash generation it feels extremely conservative having such a large % of a portfolio in a “cash holding” and not “invested”. And, I think I’ve been too conservative this year due to injuries etc.

I look forward to your thoughts!

Cheers,
    Daniel

May 5, 2021 at 8:11 am

Cash in the bank is cash saved for a purpose, and that purpose is to invest in players who will score and appreciate in value. With so much cash I’d double upgrade this week, this week will be important in the overall flow of the competition because of the amount of choice available.

You can then still go 1 up and 1 down next week. That is 3 guns and 1 cash generator in 4 trades, that is a win at this time of year.

Daniel

May 5, 2021 at 10:17 am

Thanks Trent. I appreciate your thoughts and insight.

Doug

May 5, 2021 at 7:31 am

I know he’s a MID , but what do you think of Tim Kelly?? Did the double downgrade last week to chase Titch, but I have a lot of Rd12 players so far, so now thinking of Telly instead?? Saves me $86k in the process.

Titch + $26k
    Telly + $112k

May 5, 2021 at 8:08 am

I liked Kelly last week, but didn’t like the uncertainty around WA Covid, and with the potential disruption to Optus games, Kelly this week away and next week against Adelaide at Optus is great, but will the game get moved to Adelaide. Kelly’s issue is the tag, maybe Worpel this week. Mitchell is safer.

Dan

May 5, 2021 at 7:45 am

Hi Trent, who do you think is more likely to play in Rd 14, aka the ruck bye, out of Flynn or Bryan?

May 5, 2021 at 8:06 am

Probably neither at this rate, but Draper could be back by then and Phillips was preferred. Flynn it looks is going to play the rest games for Mumford rather than the other way around, so R14 is only 2 games after the GWS bye. So, I’d say neither is likely unless injuries to others occur.

Jimmy

May 5, 2021 at 7:49 am

Daicos or Hall?

May 5, 2021 at 8:04 am

Depends on your lines as Hall can’t be MID, and the cash difference favours Diacos, but Hall has a higher ceiling. You take the player which strengthens your weakest line. That is removes the worst player from your ground.

Jess

May 5, 2021 at 8:15 am

Thanks Trent for another great article. I have $477K in the bank. Current thoughts are Gulden & Rowe to Hall & RCD, leaving me with $523K. Next week I’ll do a double upgrade to J Kelly & Ridley/Houston. Thoughts?

Or am I better off grabbing Daicos over Hall?

May 5, 2021 at 8:29 am

It is Russian roulette trying to predict one game, so I think you look at how each trade affects your team structure as Hall is not a MID. Which line is improved the most by each player, and then go with that unless you think it is obvious one will out-perform the other, which it probably isn’t that obvious, although Hall has the higher ceiling at this point.

Jess

May 5, 2021 at 8:53 am

Thanks. My mids are my strongest with only 2 rookies on field. Forwards are thin with Hind & Phillips at F1/2. Defence is Laird, Stewart, Sholl plus 3 rookies.

Blood Brothers

May 5, 2021 at 9:20 am

What 3 defensive rookies do you have on field??

Jess

May 5, 2021 at 5:44 pm

Berg, Kosi and Federick

Kjaks

May 5, 2021 at 8:48 am

With the unavailability of Luke Ryan this week, is he a must trade, or get arookie off the field of O have cover for him?

Blood Brothers

May 5, 2021 at 9:19 am

Hi Trent,

Great article & insights yet again, and kudos to the time & effort you put in replying to everyone!

Given the subject of this week’s post and you being a Swans supporter and all, what’s your thoughts on Heeney as a POD? Not this week of course, but maybe in 1 or 2 when his price bottoms out, and gives the bloke a chance to mend the broken hand he’s playing with!!

Rothy

May 5, 2021 at 9:40 am

G’day Trent, as always the article is awesome. So last week I held Luke Ryan with the hopes that he will be back in but apparently he is now out 1-2 weeks. This leaves me with 3 options.
    1. Hold Ryan and field kozi and get a rookie off the field to jelly
    2. Trade Ryan to Kelly and save 300k
    3. Trade Ryan to Duncan and save 135k get jelly next week
    What do u think?
    Cheers

Chad

May 5, 2021 at 9:55 am

Tom Mitchell or Shai Bolton for the value? Bolton has Geelong this week which could be a concern and worried about his consistency (and eventual return of Martin/Cotchin) Will replace same player on field.

anth80

May 5, 2021 at 9:57 am

Trent.

What’s better. Flynn to RCD and Gulden to Andy Brayshaw or Brockman to RCD and Gulden to Hall??
    Looking at Daicos, Jelly, Fyfe and Hunter aswell.

Charlie

May 5, 2021 at 10:50 am

Great insights thanks mate. I’m looking at finally going 1 up 1 down this week, with Gulden & Rowe out for RCD & Kelly.
    My other option is to trade out T. Phillips & Gulden and get Titch in, but not sure if I wait a week on this trade and bring in Kelly now? My major concern is if Titch goes up ~$10k (BE 97) and Phllips down ~$10k (BE 92), I may not be able to afford this next week. Any suggestions on what the best move is here?

May 5, 2021 at 11:58 am

Yep, same for me, but Flynn first if he doesn’t play and then Rowe. Phillips I would consider even this week depending on who I would want to buy, but I suspect he is a sell next week, but his BE is very high and he is a bit of a disappointment. You could just pull the pin this week if Rowe plays and go Phillips to Mitchell and Gulden to RCD. The question then is, is Mitchell or Kelly going to rise in price the most.

Alex

May 5, 2021 at 12:51 pm

Thanks for your work Trent. Still rolling 7 rookies on my field (Bergman, Chapman/Kozi, Jordon, Powell, Warner, Campbell/Rowe, Phillips/Macrae so that’s a problem but I think I need to flick Tex.

So with Roos playing Pies this week, thinking Campbell through DPP to RCD, who I sadly will start at M8, but that does mean being able to get both Rowe and F Macrae off field (Kozi at D6 for one week as well and W Phillips on field). That let’s me go Tex to Kozi with 145k in the kitty. I have Chapman at D7, so the following week I could either then go:

Flynn-> Bryan, Chapman -> Daniel or Ridley (Kozi to D7)
    Rowe-> Byrnes, Chapman -> Daniel

Let’s me do the other one of those downgrade the following week and then get Orazio or Warner up to Ridley pretty easily. With quite a bit of cash on my bench, should leave me placed to then get the other up to a cheap premium for round 10, injuries permitting, which would then just leave me with Berg, Jordon, RDC, Powell and W. Phillips on field, which still feels like a lot. Injjuries permitting, is being down to 4 on field rookies by the bye rounds achievable or is that aiming too low?

May 5, 2021 at 2:02 pm

4 rookies on field at the bye rounds is what a lot of teams will still have, but most will be 5-7 because of injuries to premiums. The key is making sure the rookies on ground are Jordon, Warner, and Powell. If you can place RCD at EME 1 on Friday night and wait and see his score, you might be able to leave a player you will sell on field who is not playing that week, Campbell for example and then focus on another line, like Rowe.

Kent

May 5, 2021 at 1:14 pm

Thanks Trent for the read! Bolton intrigues me but also makes me nervous. Thoughts on these 2 options?

1. Zac Williams/Gulden out for Frederick/Zorko
    2. Fantasia/Gulden out for Frederick/Bolton + 100k

May 5, 2021 at 2:03 pm

Be interesting with Dusty back whether that gives him more time in the midfield because Dusty might drift forward. Option 2, Williams back and Fantasia has to go.

Kent

May 5, 2021 at 2:26 pm

Thanks!

Cody O'Brien

May 5, 2021 at 1:35 pm

is RCD safe to field at m8. Gives me more cash than if i was to go to frederick

May 5, 2021 at 2:05 pm

See reply to RCD above- basically, can you place him at EME1 instead of having to field him on ground.

Cody O'Brien

May 5, 2021 at 3:47 pm

i would have to field him unfortunately. Is it worth the risk for the extra cash or is spending another 70k to get fredrick the safer option?

Scott

May 5, 2021 at 2:53 pm

Think I have to trade Dusty – big BE in coming weeks and scoring under what I would like. Can upgrade him to Kelly and Fantasia or Gulden to Heppell, leaving $200K for next week. Problem with this is not moving on Brockman, Jones, Rowe or Highmore. If I trade Martin to Kelly and Brockman to RCD, $466K left and still 4 non playing rookies on bench. Good week for double upgrade then 1 up,1 down next week?

May 5, 2021 at 3:20 pm

I personally wouldn’t be trading Dusty. Forget the BE as it only matters if you intend to ever trade him. Could trade Brockman to RCD, and then see his score on Friday night, maybe as an EME 1 which gives you the option of playing a non-player on ground, and then upgrade a Rowe to the best player available. Dusty will be around F6 by seasons end.

22 guns

May 5, 2021 at 4:35 pm

still have dunkley thinking dunkley to kelly and flynn to daicos this or dunkley /kelly brockman /rcd

May 6, 2021 at 7:57 am

Daicos and Kelly. Daicos might appreciate a similar amount to RCDbut still be in the side in 5 weeks and you can play him on ground.

Joey

May 5, 2021 at 5:29 pm

Hey mate – really appreciate your weekly insights and that you take your time to respond to comments. This week would you be going:

1) Campbell + Flynn -> Hall + RCD

2) Phillips + Rowe -> Kelly + RCD

3) Fantasia + Rowe -> Daniel + RCD

4) Fantasia + Campbell -> Kelly + RCD

May 6, 2021 at 7:56 am

4 as Phillips hopefully outscores Fantasia, but Daniel is cheaper, so have a look what you might do with the cash difference next week.

PowerAde

May 5, 2021 at 5:40 pm

Great article Trent, one of my favorite weekly reads.

I’m looking at Gulden for T.Kelly or anyone else around his price range anyone can think a better choice, not completely sold on Timmy

BCampbell for Zorko in Fwds – again if anyone can think of anyone else a better choice at same price range but i’m likely to keep Zorks while Neale is out unless the argument is very, very compelling.

PowerAde

May 5, 2021 at 5:51 pm

lol, already have Zorko so have gone with Owies for Campbell but would still like to hear your advice on the TKelly choice?

May 6, 2021 at 7:54 am

Kelly and Covid is a worry. I would plump for j. Kelly before. Zorko is a good safe option in FWD line,but expensive compared to Daicos and Bolton or Hall

JMD012

May 5, 2021 at 5:53 pm

Hey Trent,
    Just wondering for your advice. I have 1 trade already settled in Brockman -> RCD. Was just wondering what you would suggest.
    So I have $525k in cash. I was set on trading out Rowe or Gulden, doesn’t matter who goes, but I was wondering what you think
    Option 1) Hall (Value and nice Breakeven) Fits ok with my Bye structure $$$ left over for 3rd week running
    Option 2) Merrett (Mid Premo arguably top 4 mid) and fits perfectly to what I need for bye Premo needed, but Fwd line is Phillips and Hind with Rookies
    Option 3) J. Kelly (hoping back on wing and hoping Top 6 Fwd) but could probably
    Option 4) L. Whitfield (just because I love him, and could jump on early, or have to hole to god I can get in 1-2 weeks)
    Love your article each week

May 6, 2021 at 7:50 am

All good although I’d wait on Whitfield. Which option leaves the rest of your lines looking good. Personally, option 3.

Jezza

May 5, 2021 at 6:07 pm

Trent great article mate!
    Was wondering your thoughts on these trades, so I was thinking Flynn at R3 down to Bryan for cash
    Then upgrde Gulden to a Daicos, Hall or Kelly.
    Planning to get in RCD next week for Rowe or Brockman.
    The thing is I’m contemplating upgrading O’Brien to Grundy this week (already have Gawn) instead of the gulden upgrade
    What do you think of this?

May 6, 2021 at 7:47 am

At least with Flynn he is not leaking cash at R3. ROB leaking cash and Grundy a must.

Jezza

May 6, 2021 at 4:13 pm

So downgrade Flynn to Bryan so I can get Reilly up to Grundy or hold Flynn at R3?

Goughys Guns

May 5, 2021 at 8:56 pm

Started the first few weeks well, into 800 odd, then the last 3 weeks i’ve blown out to 3030, need to get back off the mat, its Kelly or Hunter for me, how would you split them?

May 6, 2021 at 6:08 am

Both proven but with Hunter not as injured. Hunter is ready to go large again.

Fav Rear Door

May 5, 2021 at 10:20 pm

I guess every Tom, Dick and Harry will be getting Byrnes as a cheap mid

Harry

May 5, 2021 at 10:36 pm

I’m trading in Byrnes

YALLAH HABIBI

May 5, 2021 at 10:44 pm

RCD RCD RCD RCD RCD RCD RCD

Double Parked

May 6, 2021 at 9:42 am

Hey Trent – awesome article as always!

Im a bit stuck what to do this week. Got 335k in the bank and a fair bit of coin now on the bench.
    I was looking at three different options:
    1. Chapman -> Frederick and Rowe -> Hall (218k remaining)
    2. Chapman -> RCD and Rowe -> Hall (266k remaining)
    3. Chapman -> Daicos and Flynn -> Hall (1k remaining)

Ideally I’d like to get Frederick in as he looks like a great cash cow, the drawback of this is that Option 1 gives me 16 players on the Rd12 bye, meaning I’d need to use 8 of my next 9 trades on shuffling out rd 12 players (which I can do, just doesn’t give a lot of room for injury or someone getting dropped). Option 2 gives me a solid cash cow and a speculative keeper for a bargain price, option 3 gives a speculative keeper and a solid stepping stone in Daicos (also brings me down to 5 rookies), however restricts what I can do next week as it will limit me to either double downgrading or downgrading a rookie and upgrading CJ/Fanta, whereas the first two options give me cash to pretty much do whatever I want next week.

Def: Laird, Stewart, Docherty, Cumming, Cj, Bergman (Chapman, Kos)

Mid: Merrett, Taranto, Walsh, Mitchell, Treloar, Powell, Warner, Jordon (Robertson, Scott)

Ruc: Grundy, Gawn (Flynn)

Fwd: Hind, Phillips, Fantasia, Cox, Farrar, Atu (Rowe, Brockman)

Uti: Meek

Thoughts?

May 6, 2021 at 9:49 am

Option 2 and it allows for the same next week, of one up and one down. RCD with R13 is similar to price projections as Frederick. Next week you can get rid of a Brockman/Fantasia/ Cox- 2 of those with your cash and a 1 up and down should get you a pretty good player.

Double Parked

May 6, 2021 at 9:52 am

Legend that’s what I was leaning towards, thanks again mate !

Bombers

May 6, 2021 at 10:29 am

Should I get Frederick this week – will play him on field (Koscitzke is my bench cover) or get RCD and bank the extra cash (will be M9).

Dan

May 6, 2021 at 11:33 am

Rowe > RCD
      Warner/Jordan > Kelly

Rowe > RCD
      Kozzie/Bergman > Hall

Which trade would you do?

May 6, 2021 at 12:20 pm

I’d be keeping Warner and Jordon. So, option 2.

May 6, 2021 at 12:22 pm

Bank cash, will Frederick outscore Kozzie, maybe but cash next week will be helpful. RCD is just as good.

Chris

May 6, 2021 at 7:34 pm

Get J.Kelly or Hall+cash?
    Also get Frederick, RCD or Byrnes?
    Which two to field out of Scott, Lazarro, F.Macrae, H.Jones, Kozi or one of the above players I get?

May 6, 2021 at 9:22 pm

Get Kelly. I am probably getting Byrnes because I have Martyn stuck on the bench. Whoever is dropped and or prioritise BE and R12 byes.

I am a sinner

May 6, 2021 at 7:55 pm

I need to upgrade gulden this week and I think the best two options are Kelly and Hunter. To get to Kelly have to get rid of Flynn (R3) and to get hunter I downgrade Sam Berry. I don’t want to get rid of Flynn since he will still generate some cash but is it worth it to get Kelly in?

May 6, 2021 at 9:23 pm

The answer is yes, Flynn might play 1 week in the next 4. Sell if not named now!

I am a sinner