The Thursday Scramble

The Thursday Scramble: Round 2

One round in and Two very popular players to trade already! Let’s Scramble!!

A weekend that started with so much promise ended with so poorly for many coaches. We also saw the impact that the new rules have had on the scoring potential of players this season. Add to that a couple of forced trades this week and there is always a reason to Scramble!

Has the game changed?

The new rules have had an impact on Fantasy and Supercoach scoring already. The main place we have seen it is in the scoring for the Rucks. We saw it with Grundy on Friday night and we wrote that off as he has always struggled against Stef Martin. But then when we saw Max struggle to score then we knew there was a problem starting to emerge. The following game we then saw ROB struggle against the Cats it was confirmed for me.

What we are seeing is the big fellas aren’t able to get around the ground to where the footy is as much as the game is just moving so fast. This is going to hurt their scoring but I am sure that the players and the coaches will start to adapt after a couple of rounds to the way the rules are working. As someone that paid up this year for both Gawn and Grundy I am not too concerned yet. I still believe that they will be in the top three rucks at the end of the year and will still be worth it.

What about the Rookie Ruckmen? We saw a massive score from Flynn and the expectation from people is that this will continue. I am not so sure. That game was in the wet which resulted in a heap of ruck contests and opportunities for points. I will be very interested to see how he goes this week and if he can back it up.

My advice is that I will be holding the two big dogs. If you do want to trade one of them out that is a perfectly ok strategy, just keep in mind how hard it can be to get them back in at their prices and be prepared to have one of the lesser credentialed ruckmen for the rest of the season.

Injuries & Suspensions

One round down and two very popular players are down and out for multiple weeks.

Bloody hard luck for Matty Rowell, the kid can’t catch a break. He is sensational to watch (what we have seen so far) and it is cruel that he will now miss a heap of time. He is a must trade and thankfully for owners there are a heap of people in the same boat.

Not sure it is hard luck for Paddy Dangerfield rather a hard head that got him a 3 week holiday. Once again he is a heavily owned player and there are plenty in the same boat and he is a must trade in all formats (clearly not draft of course) as three weeks is too long to hold.

Then there are the real unlucky coaches that had both of these guys!  I know there has been the temptation by some to consider holding both of them and fixing up rookie issues, personally I would be fixing these two guys first before looking at anything else, they are worth a heap of cash and you don’t want that sitting idle for even a week as in that time the rest of the competition could get away from you. Add to that the fact that the rookies have only played one game. We have all seen one game wonders before, there are no guarantees with any player, but rookies are even less of a guarantee!

So who do you bring in?  Here are a few strategies that you could use and then some players to consider.

You could use your DPP to open up a spot in your defence. You could switch either Laird or Clark to the midfield and then bring in a defender for Rowell. The obvious one here is Zac Williams who was missing in round 1. In RDT and SC he is pretty cheap and pretty close to Rowell’s cost but you will need a bit more money in AF as he costs about $100k more. The other one you could look at in the defence if you don’t have him is Callum Mills he is one you could look at but you will need a fair bit more money in all formats.

In the forward line, whether it is to replace Rowell (via DPP) or Danger the most popular pick is likely to be Dustin Martin after his big game against the Blues in round 1. The other name that is one of the most popular is Jaidyn Stephenson. He had a great game in round 1 but just take into account there was no Cunnington in that midfield, he will be the main one that will take points away. But he won’t take enough away to make it a bad pick though.  Other options would be Caldwell who had a good debut for the Bombers and if cash isn’t an issue then Dunkley could be your man.

In the mids it once again comes down to how much cash you have and what your second trade is but if you can afford to bring in Jack Macrae then he would be one I would look at but one that is a bit cheaper that is a great option is Tom Mitchell. We all shied away from him in the pre-season as he had a little niggle. He proved to us in that second half against the Bombers that there were no lingering effects. I think he will be coming into my AFL Fantasy side after posting a 106 in that game.

To be honest there are a heap of options and it all comes down to your cash situation.

I don’t have those two, so do I need to trade?

In AFL Fantasy. Absolutely! You have two to use each week and if you can use them to improve your side then go ahead and trade.  It is pretty unlikely your team is perfect at this point.

In RDT and SC where we are limited to 30 trades for the season, it is definitely in your best interests to not trade unless you have one of the two issues listed above in Rowell and Dangerfield. It is very tempting to jump on the rookies that you may have missed at this point but just remember that there have been rookies in the past that have had monster first games but then struggled to get to 30 in their second game. We have the opportunity to have a second game worth of data so let’s take that opportunity and use it. Unlike AFL Fantasy those two games don’t have price changes until a player has played two games.

CAPTAIN PICKSRead Calvin’s best selections

CASH COWSRead Fry’s awesome look at the rooks

WASH UPRead Matt’s take on the round that was

Things To Remember

• Don’t panic! It has only been one round. If you listen to podcasts you would know that the winner of the overall comp is often in the 15k – 20k range of rankings after round one.
  • RDT and SC Trades are NON Reversible after the start of the first game. Make sure that you are aware of this and you have reversed everything before the first game and then make your trades as required.
  • Most Leagues start this week. Keep an eye on your matchups, all the fun starts now.

Whilst there isn’t the stress that we had last week around the lockouts as we have most of our squad locked in now, it is still important that you don’t take your eye off the ball (or game starts) to make sure your team is set when the games start. Best of luck for round 2 and let’s hope that we don’t see any more long term injuries or suspensions this week!

A passionate Port Adelaide Fan who simply loves footy! That is how I would describe myself. Catch my weekly article "The Thursday Scramble" with all the last minute things to think about for the weekend Follow: @pkd73.

Tyson

March 26, 2021 at 9:53 am

Morning all, would you guys take the 121 VC loophole for Adam’s?
    Or is Merrett gonna score around the same if not more?
    Cheers

PK

March 26, 2021 at 10:46 am

If you have a non-playing player then take the adams vc

Straight shooter

March 26, 2021 at 2:42 pm

Yep 120 is a win mate that’s locked merrett could get hurt (f**king hope he’s my capt)

JMD012

March 26, 2021 at 11:23 am

Dunny me old mate, glad to see you are back, was wondering if you and everyone would be able to help me with my trades, I have been stuck all week. So I have essentially done 1 trade, but it is not set in stone.
    So far I have done T. Green to O. Markov using DPP with J. Clark. So this is my team
    Def: R. Laird, C. Mills, J. Crisp, H. Clark, O. Markov (New), H. Young {J. Koschitzke, T. Highmore}
    Mid: A. Gaff, S. Walsh, T. Taranto, A. Brayshaw, J. Clark, B. Campbell, T. Powell, E. Gulden {J. Jordan, T. Brockman}
    Ruck: M. Gawn, J. Witts {M. Flynn}
    Fwd: J. Dunkley, T. Phillips, N. Hind, C. Warner, M. Bergman, J. Rowe {A. Scott, H. Jones}
    Utility [L. Meek] with $42k Cash
    Have no ides what to do with my Second Trade, I miss out on Sholl for Clark by $7k, which is a shame, would a cash grab from Phillips to Stephenson be silly? Because really unless Meek gets omitted I do not have a second trade that I can see feasible, The other option is I go sideways Gaff to Mitchell
    What does everyone think?

Straight shooter

March 26, 2021 at 2:49 pm

J.clark down to berry (crows) frees up cash for next week

Calvin Purple

March 26, 2021 at 11:58 am

Is Heppell injured?

Calvin Purple

March 26, 2021 at 2:40 pm

Since found out he had back scans but just tighness/soreness & should be OK to go

James

March 26, 2021 at 3:01 pm

Did anyone notice what role Jack Billings was playing on the weekend?

Squid

March 26, 2021 at 5:36 pm

Yep, was lining up on the wing everytime I saw him

Bill

March 26, 2021 at 3:05 pm

Bring in Markov and play him instead of Highmore?
    or, bring in Caldwell and play him instead of Powell or Jordon?

March 26, 2021 at 6:52 pm

I’m unsure about Markov. I’d go with Caldwell. You could get Markov and ride the breakeven, but as I said I’m unsure about him and what he will score consistently. In saying that, i don’t know what Caldwell with score either, but I would feel safer with a midfielder.

Bill

March 26, 2021 at 7:22 pm

Cheers! Thanks for that.

Straight shooter

March 27, 2021 at 12:58 am

If card well turns the ball over the way he did he might not be playing for long biggest hack at the bombers

Gavin

March 26, 2021 at 3:15 pm

I was wondering if someone could fill me in on the following – Say you trade out an unlocked player for a player who then becomes locked shortly after – Are you able to switch out the unlocked player for another unlocked player on your team? Obviously you can’t switch out the locked player.

An example would be you traded in Z Williams prior to last nights game for J.Short (who’s playing Sunday). You’re stuck with Williams, however, let’s say T.Stewart (who’s also on your team) is a late withdraw from tonights game- can you switch him out and keep J.Short instead? Does this make sense?

Belly

March 26, 2021 at 4:31 pm

No, any trade involving a player that becomes locked out is unable to be reversed or changed in anyway once either player becomes locked out.

Jack

March 26, 2021 at 4:32 pm

No. As soon as either player is locked, that trade cannot be reversed or changed.

Blood Brothers

March 26, 2021 at 5:33 pm

Does that then also hold true for a second trade that was contingent on the first (locked) trade dur to cash balances? (if that makes sense)

Belly

March 26, 2021 at 7:13 pm

Yes I think so, if you did both trades at once and someone in the first is locked out but only through doing that first trade did you have the cash to do the second one then you won’t be able to reverse it and effectively go into negative cash.
          Also there were issues last year where if through the trade you move a player with dpp into another field position, whilst they won’t show as locked until they play they won’t be able to be moved via dpp again if you wanted to, not sure if that is still the case this year.

ShredderPigs

March 26, 2021 at 5:24 pm

After Grundy going 122 who has the balls to put Gawn captain? 😂

Prowling Tiger

March 26, 2021 at 5:39 pm

Wait and see. Gawn has Jackson chipping in and Gawn will spend time forward. I think this will happen until one of Weideman or Brown is back

llizardofoz

March 26, 2021 at 6:11 pm

vc done yesterday …no wukkers.

Squid

March 26, 2021 at 5:39 pm

I do! Fortunately I don’t have him, almost hoping someone ends up out so I can loop Grunty.

Ando the brain dead barfly

March 26, 2021 at 6:38 pm

Daniher or Rowe?

March 26, 2021 at 6:48 pm

Rowe for the cash generation.

March 26, 2021 at 6:45 pm

Danger to Dunkley or Dusty?

Dunkley would be an easy choice if Beveridge could be trusted and I think Dusty needs goals to score big.

March 26, 2021 at 7:16 pm

Or I could get A. McGrath.

Brett

March 26, 2021 at 7:14 pm

Which trade is better

1) Rowell & unnames rookie (meek maybe) > Stephenson & Harry Jones

$3k leftover

2) Rowell & Clarke > Drew & Sholl

$108k leftover

Thanks :)

Brett

March 26, 2021 at 7:15 pm

Jordan Clark**

March 26, 2021 at 7:21 pm

If I were you I’d be fuming with Clarke and look to trade him ASAP. I can’t say any of those trades are jumping out at me. I would like to see more from all of those trade in options before getting them. I’m sort of leaning towards option 2.

12. Belly

Belly

March 26, 2021 at 7:14 pm

Are we missing Warnies late mail with teams info?

lewie14

March 26, 2021 at 7:19 pm

Any love for Gaff as captain option this week ?

March 26, 2021 at 7:23 pm

I’m looking at that game as one that may produce some good scores. Gaff, Dunkley, Hunter, Macrae… Could see some captain worthy scores from them all.

Straight shooter

March 27, 2021 at 1:11 am

All will go good but hunter an gaff Will both be in the top 5 scoring players this round +140 They both like to play off there man an will rack up on each other +10 marks each +35 disposals. thank me later if put the c on eather of them

FOOKWIT

March 27, 2021 at 3:22 am

Is Andy Macgrath worth looking at.

Straight shooter

March 27, 2021 at 12:38 pm

I wouldn’t be backing him he’s never been consistent enough but could surprise

Tom

March 27, 2021 at 9:49 am

4 Options for trades;

Rowell & Green – Hind & Sholl ($103k in bank)
    Rowell & Green – Stephenson & Sholl (29k in bank)
    Rowell & Green – Stephenson & Hind (61k in bank)
    Gawn & Rowell – Stephenson & Macrae or any Mid (100k in bank but Flynn as R2 and Meek R3)

Thoughts?

Shaun

March 27, 2021 at 10:39 am

D

March 27, 2021 at 1:20 pm

3rd for me: Rowell & Green to Stephenson & Hind.

Shaun

March 27, 2021 at 10:38 am

Trade in, Macrae or Caldwell?

March 27, 2021 at 1:17 pm

Got to be Macrae.

Nathan

March 27, 2021 at 10:41 am

What’s peoples thoughts on Drew? Obviously getting a good role and Hinkley seems to love him. Obvious risk with Rocky trying to get back in and 1 bad game could spell the end.

Squid

March 27, 2021 at 12:26 pm

He’s not for me, but certainly could be worth a punt and if you have a serious midfield issue that you need to fix I can see the value.

However unless it’s forced I wouldn’t be jumping off a guy you picked after (presumably) a fair bit of forethought and research for your starting team for a guy that wasn’t even on your radar until after last week based on just the one round of footy.

Frankly too if you’re looking at the Rowell Danger issue you surely want to be looking at a gun/cow combo to shore things up rather than a couple of speculative mid pricers that could ruin your team long term.

It’s a long game, you won’t win it with what you do this week but you could lose.

Can’t wait for Stephenson to drop a 50 this week and everyone to jump off for the next random player X who does ok.

Daniel

March 27, 2021 at 12:37 pm

still smashes his be of 25… if role is there he will average 80+ and will soon be traded because those going with double midpricers will have some extra cash to splash next week

Nathan

March 27, 2021 at 12:48 pm

Luckily I didn’t have danger or Rowell. Player I had as a Smokey was Dom Tyson and not confident now that midfielders are coming back. Ranked 5000 pre round and looking to push further. Drew would be a slight cash grab and stepping stone. No other issues other than flipping meek for a newly named rookie with higher money potential. Thanks for your thoughts

Shaun

March 27, 2021 at 12:57 pm

What order would you field Campbell, Rowe & Warner?

March 27, 2021 at 1:16 pm

Warner, Rowe, Campbell.

Shaun

March 27, 2021 at 1:29 pm

That’s how I had it, what if I through Bergman into the mix, where would you place him?

March 27, 2021 at 1:40 pm

Probably second after Warner.

Shaun

March 27, 2021 at 3:24 pm

Lucky I made a late adjustment here.

March 27, 2021 at 1:16 pm

Rowell to Sloane/J. Graham/Heppell/Stephenson?

Shaun

March 27, 2021 at 1:32 pm

Stephenson

March 27, 2021 at 1:47 pm

Thanks.
        I was leaning towards him or Heppell. If Heppell stayed on the park and got DEF DPP then it would be an easy decision for me. Hopefully Stephenson can score well while North have players missing and keep ticking over the cash generation.

Double Parked

March 27, 2021 at 11:05 pm

Par for this week? I’m thinking 1950, maybe even 1900

Fitchy

March 28, 2021 at 12:01 am

i think i could scrape 1900 if everyone left for me plays as expected and ive copped both caldwell and stephenson so yea i can imagine coaches getting up there

Squid

March 28, 2021 at 11:02 am

That may even be a good score looking at projected scores across a few of my leagues, will depend on how many of the very bad scores you dodged more than anything.

Bill

March 28, 2021 at 12:01 am

My trade to bring in Caldwell was unluckily unsuccessful.
    Thoughts on Fantasia and/or B.Campbell?

Double Parked

March 28, 2021 at 11:58 am

Campbell a must have imo

Blood Brothers

March 28, 2021 at 9:09 am

Already thinking about Round 3 trades….
    Caldwell is a forced, and H. Jones is currently resting his head on the chopping block…

Bill

March 28, 2021 at 12:50 pm

I missed a bullet in Jones. Brought in Rowe. Better than Jones, but not by that much.

Euman

March 28, 2021 at 9:23 am

Ok so green is not named. If he is named as sub and does not play does that count? As in if he does not come on at all then do I cop a donut or does my emergency score? I want to leave him on field so I get Campbells score who is on my bench. I understand if green comes on as sub his score counts but what if he does not.

Fitchy

March 28, 2021 at 11:03 am

if he doesnt come onto the ground you will be able to take campbells score i believe