The Friday Scramble

The Friday Scramble: Round 11

One more week until the byes, so plenty of time to get sorted… right? Hell no…. let’s Scramble!!

Wow, this game just keeps on throwing us curveballs. This week is a critical week as we are on the verge of the byes, we have players still questionable as to their status and we seem to have run out of rookies!  Like many I am of the opinion this is one of the harder seasons we have had in a long time.  Just means more Scrambling!

Mid Season Draft

So on Monday night we saw a Mid Season Draft for the first time in a long time. I know that many people have been looking forward to this for a chance at some new players at some bargain basement prices. Whilst this is true and we have some new players in the game, however, I am not as excited. I don’t think there will be too much in it for us. I can’t see too many of these blokes getting a game. There are only a few that I see getting a game are De Luca from Carlton and Sutcliffe from Port and even then I don’t think they will provide a great deal of scoring. Ryan Gardner has come in this week for the Doggies but like the others, I don’t expect much of an impact and certainly I don’t expect scores that will make us trade them in. I do hope I am wrong but I don’t have my hopes up.

Most clubs took players for the future and with a view to next season. Personally I am not in favour of this as it isn’t replacing players that are injured or out for the rest of the year which is what I thought it was supposed to be. Personally I would prefer a mid season trade period as those players have been in an AFL system and would be in a much better position to play.  Anyway, enough of me ranting.

What I wanted to stress here is don’t get too excited.  If 3 or 4 of these guys play it would be fantastic but don’t expect any big scores out of them.

PickPlayerClubPositionPrice2019 AverageComp
14John NobleCollMID$17000092SANFL
15PassGCS
16Cody HirstSydMID$17000099NAB League
17PassWB
18PassEss

One Week To Go!

This is our last chance before the bye period. We have one last chance to get our teams set up before the first of the bye periods hits in round 12. This is the time to start preparing and making sure that you will have enough players for round 12. That is our first hurdle.

As we have said in the past you only have to have 18 players but remember they have to be on your field and this means that you need to manage your team carefully if you want to maximise your score across the three rounds.

With any trading you do this week make sure that you are considering your moves across the bye period and how you can set your team up.

My strategy is to always have a good number of players in the early bye and then trade in the second and third weeks of the byes to guys that have already had their week off.  It is pretty basic really but I know some do go into the round trying to balance across each week but that isn’t going to work for you.

Don’t just try and get to the bare minimum 18 either, if you can get yourself 19 or 20 playing then that is the best way to go as you drop out your worst scores. Always handy if someone drops an 18 on you like we saw with Robbie Young.

Selection Table

Things weren’t quite as bad at the selection table this week, but they still weren’t great! Here are a few of my random thoughts.

No Zac Williams back yet, but we did know that during the week.  He is still a hold for me.
Darcy Moore returns which is great for those that held him. But we did see rookie priced guys Magden and Wills drop out.
Danger finally returns and hopefully he has a point to prove and goes massive!
Darcy Fort has made way as Ratugolea has returned to the side. We always thought this might happen.
JPK is out. Once again, nothing we didn’t know already. Hold.
Lynch, Jenkins and Gibbs all return for the Crows.  Notice any names missing there???  Bloody Matt Crouch!!!!!! After being told he was close last week we can now confirm this was BS as he isn’t back in this week either, not even given the opportunity right up until game time! If we knew he was going to be out for this long he would have been a trade, but we have to hold now.
Rocky is out, even though the team list doesn’t say this. It will be Burton and Lycett in for Rocky and Ladhams. That is my prediction.
A heap of players in for the Bombers including Ridley which will help some coaches but no sign of the Ham!
Setterfield is on the extended bench, not confident he plays.
Two new players for the Dogs in Gardner and West. Not sure if they are worth picking up, particularly with Bevo in charge!!

#AskDunny

Good question Steve. I know a lot of people are looking to not upgrade this week given we have the byes upon us next week. Personally I am not against upgrading. Remember that anyone that you are going to bring in will miss at some point in the next few weeks. If you decide to just hold this week and do nothing then you are going to be a week behind everyone else that is upgrading and you will have rookies on your field a week longer.

However, don’t just go ahead and bring anyone in without thought. So from my perspective I am perfectly fine with doing some upgrading this week but you should be trading in players that have byes where you are strong with numbers or players that have the same bye profile as the ones you are trading out.

The circumstance that I am very comfortable with making a trade is where you can get rid of a rookie and bring in a premium. The biggest issue we have in the bye periods is rookies getting dropped or just not playing. If you have a premium in their place then you are far more likely to have them when you need them.

So I hope this helps you Steve and everyone else. I think continuing your trading strategy is a good thing if you do it sensibly.

Well whilst he has been named we know that he won’t be playing this week but if you plan to keep him in your team through to R23 then your plan is perfectly fine. In AF you could trade him out this week with a view to getting him back in R13 but as we all know it isn’t always easy to get a premium back in once we have traded him out.

This is a problem that many have. Particularly R13 where Collingwood, Geelong and the Eagles are all on their byes. At this point I have 20 avail in R12, 17 in R13 and 20 in R14. I am really happy with that spread because it means I should be able to easily field 18 in each round. As I have said before if you have most of your players available in R12 then this is a good way to be, you can then trade these guys out after R12 and bring in guys from the R12 bye. So I expect that you should be fine. If you were the other way around then that would spell a bit of trouble. If anyone is in that situation you may want to trade hard this week to try and reverse that.

I had every intention of holding Walsh all season when he started so well. However, circumstances changed and I ended up trading him out a week or so ago and it allowed me to get Fyfe into my side. So I don’t have any issues with this plan from that perspective. You are bringing in an uber premium which is what you want. The other side of the trade is a little concerning. You are trading out two guys that are getting a consistent game for one that will play and one that has questionable job security. If we weren’t on the eve of the byes I would say no problems.

Have a good look at your byes and your side and look at how many players you would have if Baker wasn’t playing. If you will be ok if he isn’t playing then go for it. But on the whole I do like that trade.

Things To Remember

• In case I haven’t mentioned it the Byes are up next week!
  • Don’t compromise your team just because of the byes, don’t settle for someone you wouldn’t be happy to have in your side if the byes weren’t coming up.
  • Don’t Panic! Everyone else is in a similar situation to you (or worse if your name is Calvin).

Hopefully your trade plans haven’t been destroyed by the selections. Don’t stress too much about the byes, if you have a good plan in place you should be fine as we negotiate our way through them.  Good luck this week and I will catch you all next week!

Trent

May 31, 2019 at 6:44 am

1. Garner to Bewley
    Hayes to Baker
    (Cull the deadwood)

2. Hayes to Baker
    Newnes to Dusty

3. Hayes to Baker
    Rocky to Whitfield?

Obviously would love to do 2 or 3 and get another big gun in, but wondering if trading the deadwood rookies might be best?

M8

May 31, 2019 at 7:10 am

I’d do 2 as Bewley should rise too much and you can get him after his bye, and I’d keep Rocky as he should be back after his bye unless you really want to trade him cause Whitfield is a massive in

M8

May 31, 2019 at 7:29 am

That should say shouldn’t rise too much

Alan J

May 31, 2019 at 8:34 am

I’d be looking at 2 as well..

M8

May 31, 2019 at 7:06 am

My Team:
    DEF: Whitfield, Lloyd, Smith, Hore, Duursma, Stack (Scrimshaw, Answerth)
    MID: Duncan, Merrett, Rockliff, B.Crouch, Macrae, Cripps, Walsh, Gibbons (Drew, Baker)
    RUCK: Grundy, Witts (Fort, Flynn)
    FWD: Boak, Dangerfield, Kelly, Worpel, Dusty, Baker (Young, Corbett)

Cash: $114k.

I’m currently stuck with trades I want to keep Rocky as he should be back after his bye and I want to try and get a link in my midfield to defence (that doesn’t have to happen) but would be ideal, also I don’t reckon Gardner’s scoring potential is any good, thanks for the help in advance.

Tyran97

May 31, 2019 at 7:20 am

Drew – Bewley
      Gibbons – gaff

M8

May 31, 2019 at 7:27 am

Cheers mate but I want to try and keep the link to the forwards to the mids but otherwise those trades are good cheers

Michael Barker

May 31, 2019 at 9:50 am

Drew to def rook move ans to midfield
      upgrade Scrim to prem defender.
      Whitfield in the mid to cover rocky via Answerth..

probably an easier way to do this but his works

M8

May 31, 2019 at 10:07 am

Thanks Michael! Much appreciated my trades at the moment are Drew (via Answerth)and doing what you suggested and bringing in Laird then Scrimshaw to Gardner not sold on Gardner’s scoring potential but his JS must be alright if they are bringing him straight in.

Tim

May 31, 2019 at 7:14 am

Rocky or Z.Williams to Whitfield?

M8

May 31, 2019 at 7:28 am

Williams

Pendles4Brownlow

May 31, 2019 at 8:00 am

I think the Williams trade is best. Rocky will be back in two weeks. There are no guarantees for Williams, and his BE is high so he isn’t going to make you anymore money. Williams was never going to be a premium; whereas, Rocky is capable of staying in your team for most of the season if not all.

Tyran97

May 31, 2019 at 7:17 am

Team
    Back: Lloyd, Salem, Crisp, Smith, hore, rozzee ( petty – burgess )
    Midfield: Whitfield, brad crouch, Tom Rockliff, gaff, stack, Fiorini, pendles, beams ( Atkins, Bewley )
    Ruck: Grundy, Gawn ( Flynn – Cameron )
    Forward: Dangerfield, Billings, Mundy, Franklin, newnes, Balta ( drew – Parker )

Have this week trades
    Hayes – Bewley
    Matt crouch – Whitfield

Any thoughts or opinions? Thanks guys

M8

May 31, 2019 at 7:31 am

I like them! Crouch has been frustrating

Pendles4Brownlow

May 31, 2019 at 8:08 am

Drew/Worpel to Dusty/Yeo with Bewley on-field
    or
    Scrim/Rocky to Dusty/Yeo with Larkey on-field.

I have been a bit back and forwards over this. I am leaning towards the first option as it keeps Rocky, but the second option may score a few more points. I wish I could offload Scrim and Drew in one hit, but I can’t do a double upgrade – it would have to be one up, one down and the new rookies suck.

Alan J

May 31, 2019 at 8:29 am

I’m holding Rocky because I need to keep the Rd 12 bye players I have for Rd13 & 14

P Power

May 31, 2019 at 5:25 pm

What’s your whole squad look like?

Mark Fawcett

May 31, 2019 at 8:23 am

Crazy to be holding Rockliff, Matt Crouch and Zac Williams and going Miers & Stack > Houli & Bewley leaving me 160k for next week and 3 trades? Team would be as below and come out of the byes decent IMO. Brayshaw I’m riding out for just now.

Def: Whitfield, Lloyd, Houli, Crisp, Smith, Clark (Williams, Wilkie)
    Mid: Kelly, Pendlebury, Neale, B.Crouch, Brayshaw, Answert, Baker, Bewley (M.Crouch, Rockliff)
    Ruck: Gawn, Goldstein (Fort, Cameron)
    Fwd: Dangerfield, Martin, Ziebell, Worpel, Heeney, Baker (Corbett, Young)

Mark Fawcett

May 31, 2019 at 8:23 am

and playing rookies this week:(

Pendles4Brownlow

May 31, 2019 at 9:08 am

Everyone will have a number of rooks on the field this week. Your biggest issue maybe that you still have Brayshaw. Also, I got rid of Williams – people are talking about keeping him as if he is a premo. He has done his job very well and increased in value, but he has peaked and it is time to trade him up. Stack has a BE of only 58, so he will make some money between now and his round 14 bye, so you are trading him a little early. If I were you, I would get rid of Brayshaw as he is still losing cash, and Williams wouldn’t be far behind him.

Mark Fawcett

May 31, 2019 at 9:47 am

actually liking that idea, but going to hold Brayshaw this week as my luck he’ll somehow go off for 100 as soon as I trade him, lol. Now gone Williams & Mier > Houli & Bewley and leaves me 261k for next week upgrades:)

Alan J

May 31, 2019 at 8:27 am

1. Yeo/Sloane & Bewley (at M8 fr 1 week as Rocky coverage)
    2. Cripps & Baker (at M8 fr 1 week as Rocky coverage)

Bewley, IF he plays post bye, fits my structure betterer and allows me to get Yeo/Sloane over Cripps, but Baker looks more likely to get more games and make some $$

michaelt1

May 31, 2019 at 9:47 am

I’d go yeo purely on form. Wait for Cripps to regain form/bottom out

Jakob

May 31, 2019 at 9:08 am

I need a fwd who has a r14 bye under 450k. Leaning towards Balta but i feel so stupid doing so, thoughts?

Pendles4Brownlow

May 31, 2019 at 9:16 am

I’ve thought about bringing in Balta due to his BE. He will make you money. For me, I have a bit more dosh, so I am shedding higher priced rooks to bring in Dusty.

I am not totally convinced Dusty is the answer. Now that I have brought him into my team, he will no doubt do a Ziebell and go on strike. Dusty has done it to me before, so maybe it should be called ‘doing a Dusty’.

Jakob

May 31, 2019 at 9:25 am

Yep that’s my worry too, especially with Cotchin back in the side. I’m afraid dusty might be spending more time forward. I think i’d rather go Whitfield + Balta, then say Neale + Dusty

Pendles4Brownlow

May 31, 2019 at 11:14 am

I already have Whitfield. Yes, Whitfield should be your priority.

Graeme

May 31, 2019 at 9:11 am

In trading out Constable, I can afford Patrick Cripps, Dustin Martin or Jack McCrae. Which would you buy?

Jakob

May 31, 2019 at 9:32 am

Depending on bye structure, but probably Dusty as the other 2 have quite high BE, although i can see Cripps getting a big one against the dons.

Pendles4Brownlow

May 31, 2019 at 11:12 am

I have Cripps, but I think he is beginning to strain under the weight of carrying his whole team. Cripps will be a must have in the future once Carlton can get some other players to support him. I’m keeping him to see if he can return to his best, but if he doesn’t come good, he will be gone in round 14.

preet

May 31, 2019 at 5:25 pm

Dusty playing full forward which could mean he might not score because past 2 weeks he played mid field

MikeLowrey

May 31, 2019 at 9:20 am

A – Williams to J,Kelly, Lockhart to Gardner
    B – Williams to Danger, Lockhart to O.Baker

Holding Rocky, and somehow Brayshaw keeps finding a way to survive

Burrmen25

May 31, 2019 at 9:28 am

Do we have 3 trades through the byes?

michaelt1

May 31, 2019 at 9:44 am

michaelt1

May 31, 2019 at 9:43 am

Trade rockliff or Matt Crouch or hold both?? I’ve held Crouch for 2 weeks so far. Either will go to Whitfield

adam

May 31, 2019 at 9:51 am

Defence: Llyod, Laird, Smith, Durrsma, Scrimshaw, Clark / Lockhart & Answerth
    Mids: Whitfield, Treloar, Cripps, Macrae, Rockcliff, B.Crouch, Walsh, Baker / C.Jones & Hayes
    Ruck: Gawn, Grundy / Fort & Flynn
    Forwards: Boak, Dangerfield, Kelly, Miers, Balta, Gibboms / Drew & Petruccelle

Any suggestions? Hold Rocky or trade out and plan for the byes?

Nathanator

May 31, 2019 at 10:00 am

Walsh to gaff and scrim to o baker?

Or scrim to hurn/ fyfe and Lockhart to gardener

adam

May 31, 2019 at 10:55 am

I reckon trade 1, who is cover for scrim?

preet

May 31, 2019 at 10:18 am

Rockliff to Guthrie ( playing for mid for geelong and scoring pretty well), lockhart to houli

any toughts

Peter

May 31, 2019 at 10:23 am

Preferred replacements for Rocky J.Kelly playing Gold Coast or E.Yeo playing the dogs. Yeo has lower break even and is also 50k cheaper?

Andy

May 31, 2019 at 11:51 am

I’m bringing in Kelly and Gaff. I don’t trust the yo yo from previous years.

Nick

May 31, 2019 at 10:45 am

Should I trade O’Brien to Grundy now or wait until his Rd14 bye? Bit worried that O’Brien could get dropped before then with Jacob’s coming back

Andy

May 31, 2019 at 11:16 am

I’d hold off on that to see how Jacobs goes in the reserves. He may need a few weeks to return to match fitness.

Chris

May 31, 2019 at 10:54 am

Rocky to Whitfield
    Or
    Newnes to Dusty?

David C

May 31, 2019 at 2:43 pm

I traded Rocky to Whit. A lot will be holding but it gets me an uber premium and Dusty misses the next 2 games. 3 trades a week through the byes helps.

M8

May 31, 2019 at 11:16 am

Field Oskar Baker or Gibbons?

MikeLowrey

May 31, 2019 at 12:16 pm

RDT players.

1. Brayshaw > J.Kelly
    2. Stack > T.Kelly
    3. Drew > Houli/Crisp

Rocky Road

May 31, 2019 at 12:27 pm

DEF: Whitfield, Lloyd, Smith, Rozee, Broadbent, Hore (Clark, Answerth)

MID: Fiorini, Yeo, Macrae, Neale, Crouch, Walsh, Stack, Atkins ( Hayes, Rocky)

RUC: Grundy, Gawn (Fort, Flynn)

FWD: Kelly, Danger, Dunkley, Dusty, Worpel, Miers (Larkey, Ham)

$13,000 Remaining

Thinking of double down Miers and Ham to Baker and Bewley with $334k going into byes?

Rocky Road

May 31, 2019 at 12:35 pm

Or Miers and Hayes to Bewley and Shiels/Sicily/B.Ellis?

Brad

May 31, 2019 at 12:36 pm

Def: Lloyd, Crisp, Whitfield, B Smith, Hurn, Hore (Lockhart, Garner)

Mid: B Crouch, Answerth, Gaff, Sidebottom, Cripps, Atkins, J. Kelly, Stack (Rockliff Hayes)

Ruc: Grundy, Gawn (Fort, Cameron)

Fwd: Boak, T Kelly, Danger, Rozee, Miers, Drew (Gardner , Corbett)
    Remaining salary: $79k

This team is with my 2 trades below done:

I have offloaded Petrucelle to Gardner and Libba to Hurn through Answerth DPP, it leaves me $79k.

With Rocky out should I keep Libba and earn some cash through the byes and get Rocky back when he returns?

Would appreciate thoughts!
    Thanks

23. Fooz

Fooz

May 31, 2019 at 12:52 pm

Parker or Larkey on field as F6?

Petracca

May 31, 2019 at 12:59 pm

Gaff or Jelly?

Current trade is Drew & Rozee —> Baker (field) and one of the above.

Cheers

Brendon

May 31, 2019 at 1:00 pm

Rocky Shiel out and have Rd 12 byes traded into Sloane and josh Kelly thoughts

Cripps

May 31, 2019 at 1:14 pm

Help please
    Stewart or Ellis??

Hawka

May 31, 2019 at 1:23 pm

Who do I trade in;

Gaff, yeo, Duncan, Kelly, Sloane

shob

May 31, 2019 at 1:45 pm

depends on your bye structure but I’d say either Gaff or kelly

Brendon

May 31, 2019 at 1:40 pm

Cripps I would go Ellis.

Hawks order of gaff Kelly Duncan Sloane yeo

shob

May 31, 2019 at 1:44 pm

I have 429k in the bank after my first trade, with Matt crouch on field, and will hayes on bench.

For my second trade, should I upgrade hayes (up to <767k mid) and bench crouch, or trade crouch to any mid (probably jkelly) and leave about 400k in the chest for next week?

Currently leaning towards the second option as I'm not sure how long crouch will be out for

Brendon

May 31, 2019 at 2:29 pm

Second option for days

Essendon97

May 31, 2019 at 3:13 pm

Hey guys could I please have some feed back on this team and some opinions? Thanks a lot in advance

Backline: Salem, Crisp, Lloyd, Smith, rozzee, hore
    Midfield: gaff, Pendlebury, Rockliff, beams, B,crouch, Fiorini, stack, dusty
    Ruck: Grundy, O’Brien
    Forward: Dangerfield, Mundy, Billings, jack martin, Franklin, Balta

Have Tom Atkins covering for Rockliff this week
    My trades were

Matt crouch – Dustin Martin
    Jack newnes – jack martin

Thoughts? Thanks

The one

May 31, 2019 at 5:18 pm

Help please

1. Scrimshaw and Ross to Ellis and bewley (field bewley for rocky.
    2. Rocky and newnes to yeo and Chris Mayne (field corbett)

1 or 2 please help

The one

May 31, 2019 at 5:48 pm

Help please

1. Scrimshaw and Ross to Ellis and bewley (field bewley for rocky.
    2. Rocky and newnes to yeo and Chris Mayne (field corbett)
    3. Rocky and scrimshaw to Chris Mayne and Ellis?

1 2 Or 3 please help