The Friday Scramble

The Friday Scramble: Bye Round 1

It is the first of the official bye rounds, but we have been suffering without players for a few weeks now!

Is it really Bye round 1? I feel like it has been a few weeks of bye rounds already. With guys like Crouch, Williams and Rocky all missing in recent weeks I really feel like I have been carrying too many premiums on the bench for ages. Anyway, it just gets worse from now for a few weeks. If nothing else these are the weeks where we must Scramble!!

Bye Round Carnage!!

Every Single Bloody Year this happens! We get to the bye rounds and without fail at least one if not more premiums that we have been dutifully upgrading our teams with will go down with an injury that will see them miss at least one if not all of the bye rounds.  I for one am sick and tired of having to deal with it! I can’t stand it much longer! If you are reaching for the delete my team button then I am sure that you won’t be alone.

Here are a few thoughts that I have had so far about what is going on and what players are causing us all of this concern.

Shannon Hurn – He is a guy that I have been targeting and had him in two of the three formats as he has been scoring really well. Then he goes and does a hammy in the very last game before the bye’s start! Thankfully he didn’t do it too badly and looks like he should be back after their round 13 bye. Based on that then there is no reason not to hold him in the limited trade forms. If you have him in AF then given he will be missing for two weeks then you can trade him out. But if you do that then you should look at a player that has the R14 bye. What you can do then is trade back to him after R13 assuming that he will be back again.

Lachie Whitfield – Wow. What a kick in the guts this injury was for owners that held him through his recent spell of two weeks. Now he did deliver a massive score first game back but we now see him missing until after their bye. To be honest I doubt that we will see him in Round 15 either. I suspect he will be out for at least 6 weeks with this one. I can’t see them taking any chances with him, the Giants do bat pretty deep and they will want him cherry ripe for finals. I would recommend that in all formats of the game he should be traded out. If you are worried about your bye structures then you can get a R14 bye player to match his profile, but this is also a chance to fix up your bye strategy if you look like you will be ok in R14.

Rory Sloane – Another hammy, but to make matters worse he went off early in the game. This means his BE has gone up and he will get very cheap soon enough. He has been named this week, but I am very skeptical on this one. Don’t be surprised if he is a late out. If he is a late out I suspect that he should be back after his bye round as he was only listed as a test, but as we have seen with Matt Crouch we can’t trust them! If you are worried about him then in AF once again I would say trade without hesitation and use the same plan as I mentioned with Hurn. In the limited trade forms I am actually open to trading him if he is a late out as his hammy looked much worse than Hurn.

Dayne Beams – This one is a slam dunk. Trade. He is gone for pretty much the rest of the fantasy season.

Bye Strategy

We have been talking about Bye Strategy for a  few weeks now and here we are at the start of them. Your first priority is to make sure that you have your 18 players available for this week. You need to have them all on the field and not on the bench (unless they have the E on them of course and then they come on field for a 0 just like they normally would).

But not just that, I always try and map out all of my trades for the entire bye period. I know that things will change and curveballs will be thrown but it is worth at least having a plan. This way you can work through situations when they arise rather than panic and patch holes.

This week your key is to fix up any premiums that are likely to miss the whole bye period first (see the guys above) but more importantly you want to be building a bank of cash for next week so you can go BANG and upgrade players to those guys that have come off of their bye. In the limited trade forms of the game you don’t have to use all three trades you have this week. Some coaches may choose to only use one! I will be using two in each of SC and RDT as I have premiums that will miss all of the byes that I need to fix and I want to use the other trade to make some money.

Finding rookies to downgrade to isn’t going to be the easiest thing in the world to do. So you may need to take them when you can get them. Not much you can do about this but you don’t want to be bringing in rookies that won’t play if you don’t have to. Ruck bench is the only spot I ever feel comfortable doing this in. As we get deeper into the season and we get guys missing for a rest (particularly concerned about the Cats players if they sew up a top 2 spot early) then you are going to need that bench cover for late outs (once again I am looking at you Geelong).

My first priority in trading is always to get rookies off of the field before sideswapping premiums (unless they are out for lengthy periods).

Selection Table

The next three weeks are critical when it comes to selection, we can’t afford to have any selection shocks as we struggle to field a team each week. But rest assured the coaches won’t look after us! Anyway, my thoughts on what is going on with selection.

Patrick Naish is a debuant for the Tigers. It is good for us to have a super cheap rookie this week. Pick him up in AF but not in RDT or SC.
Brandon Ellis is out which is going to hurt some coaches.
Gazza is back! But we knew he would be.
Liam Stocker is out injured…. Despite NOT appearing on the official injury list!  Our sport needs to get better than this!
Matt Crouch is finally back! Bloody hell that took long enough, but it is nice that he is back before the byes start thankfully.
Rory Sloane is still in which is handy for us. But don’t be surprised if he doesn’t run out and is a late out.
Gibbs has been dropped yet again! Trade if you still hold.
Zac Williams returns which we all thought would happen. Great to have him back for the byes.
Whifield is out as we know and as we talked about during the week it is time to go for him, we simply can’t hold him and I will be surprised if he isn’t out past his bye.
Hurn also out, but I think he will return in round 14. Hold if you can.
Marty HoreMay and Lever are all back in the team and have all been named on the field which is handy for us.

Things To Remember

• Players on byes won’t be locked out in RDT and SC until the start of the Monday game.
  • We won’t know the final teams for the Monday teams until after AF is locked out.
  • This is the week to build a bank ready to do some serious upgrading next week.
  • Don’t bring in blokes this week that you aren’t keen on holding for a while. Anything can happen in byes.
  • If your Captain is not one of your best 18 scorers the VC will NOT be doubled. The only time your VC is doubled is if your captain does not play.
  • A player on the bench with an E will only be counted in your best 18 if one of your players on field doesn’t play.

Best of luck to everyone this week and for the next three weeks. Do your best and remember the aim is to come out of the bye rounds with a better team than the one that you went in with. If you can do that you will set yourself up for the rest of the season and hopefully you will also improve your ranking and get some league wins too.

Cripps

June 7, 2019 at 10:45 am

Peter

June 7, 2019 at 1:50 pm

anth80

June 7, 2019 at 6:56 am

Hey Dunny.

What’s better. Houli, Cogs and Naish or Laird, Neale Or Cumming? Feel cumming is safer, but Houli and Cogs is very tempting. Just don’t know. Hopefully Naish survives as he’ll be on my field post byes.

Squid

June 7, 2019 at 8:49 am

Either look solid, I’ve gone both those rooks this week for a cash grab but if I had to chose I’d go Naish, if he plays well he will keep his spot, Hardwick has shown he will make guys earn a spot then it’s up to them to keep it.

Campbell

June 7, 2019 at 8:56 am

1 definitely. I brought in neale and he is ruining me.

Pendles4Brownlow

June 7, 2019 at 10:47 am

1 is better, but unfortunately I can’t get both Houli and Cogs.

Petracca

June 7, 2019 at 8:27 am

1 or 2 guys:

1. Whitfield, Wilkie, Walsh —> Houli, Naish, Coniglio
    2. Whitfield, Wilkie, Balta —> Sicily/Daniel/Stewart/Crisp, Naish Coniglio

Essentially, should I hold Walsh if it means being able to not get to Houli and needing to trade Balta (he could be good ruck cover next week but that would cost an extra trade anyway to move Ruck rook)

Or do I trust trade Walsh out a couple of weeks early.

Cheers

Pendles4Brownlow

June 7, 2019 at 10:49 am

Personally, if I could, I would go 1

Fooz

June 7, 2019 at 10:59 am

Yep #1

Sir Fartypants

June 7, 2019 at 8:48 am

Anyone got info on Ellis? They probably rest him till the round 14 bye? Means he’s out for 3? Must trade?

Jono

June 7, 2019 at 3:15 pm

They’ve been really quiet on him. My best guess is that the groin injury is a niggling thing he has been carrying, because otherwise we would have seen something during the game or heard about an incident during training, and it’s just flared up a little. It seems real suspicious, and if I’m the coach, I reckon he’s out for three.

That said, Hardwick said Ellis was hopefully only out for one week, so I am holding onto him. I have a few other issues though, if I had spare trades he would go

Tyran97

June 7, 2019 at 8:56 am

Looking for a season keeper here

Bachar Houli, will he attract a tag??

Bachar Houli or Rory laird??? Thanks

Campbell

June 7, 2019 at 8:58 am

Houli

DoubleA

June 7, 2019 at 10:10 am

Can’t see Houli being tagged ahead of Cotchin or Dusty. Never say never, but I wouldn’t think it is a massive risk.

Pendles4Brownlow

June 7, 2019 at 10:50 am

Dallas

June 7, 2019 at 12:01 pm

Houli is flying – Chances of him getting tagged < Chances of him getting injured.

So definitely still a reason to think twice about getting him in at that 725k price…it's just that tagging isn't it.

Adam

June 7, 2019 at 8:57 am

Naish or Cumming for the rookie add this week?

David C

June 7, 2019 at 9:29 am

Naish

Adam

June 7, 2019 at 6:54 pm

Cumming. Good opportunity with Whitfield out, probably pushing Williams to the wing.
      But just on BE alone, Cumming is 24pts ahead and you can always check on Naish getting another game before grabbing him next week. I think he may be a 1 week rookie.
      Neither has great JS

David C

June 7, 2019 at 9:12 am

Currently have 21 playing this week, 19 next and 16.

Whitfield – houli

Collins – naish

Leaves me with $277k for last trade

Would you trade out maybe hore leaving me with 740k mid/def (maybe laird or cogs) or brayshaw leaving 857k (Duncan or gaff type) even though the player brought in hasn’t had their bye or fix up a corbett/l.young/burgess to a playing rook as id prob be trading hore and bray next week on their bye anyway?

Cheers in advance for any help 😊

Pendles4Brownlow

June 7, 2019 at 11:04 am

Either way, you are either trading Hore or Bray early – I would get rid of Bray first. Hore at least scores consistently up to or above his BE. GWS have a charmed run, so it may be worth going Bray to Cogs and seek Gaff in round 14, as Cogs’s BE is low and he will be more expensive next week or after his bye while Gaff’s price will stay relatively stable. I already have both Duncan and Gaff and am glad for it, so I am not knocking that option.

David

June 7, 2019 at 11:49 am

Yeh true. I had cogs all year. Then traded when he went out, hate bringing people back in. Same deal with merrett, started with him and traded out early.

Other option was get rid of burgess for gardner. Burgess score wont count this week anyway as he will get lowest haha. Bank the extra 30k.
        Then bring in merrett/fyfe for brayshaw and laird in for hore next week 🤔

Searly

June 7, 2019 at 10:33 am

I’m trying to decide between Laird and Crisp to replace Whitfield. Laird costs $24k more but I’ve never been a fan of crisp (he seems inconsistent). Thoughts?

Pendles4Brownlow

June 7, 2019 at 11:06 am

Houli – Laird may cop a tag if Sloane is a late out, and Crisp is hot and cold.

Michael Barker

June 7, 2019 at 10:44 am

Round 12 and 14 looking good but R 13 light on numbers and Premos .
    Which option legends?
    1. Whits/heeney/ans -Houli/Fiorini/Naish
    2.Whits/heeney/ans- Laird/Fiorini/Naish
    3. Whits/Scott/Ans- Laird/Cogs/naish ( leaves 18 for round 13 after trades…if no injuries)

Cheers

Pendles4Brownlow

June 7, 2019 at 11:10 am

You will be adding 3 round 14 bye players with all 3 options. You mustn’t have many of them, whereas my team is loaded with them. I reckon get Houli

Michael Barker

June 7, 2019 at 2:42 pm

Cheers Pendles..got a few round 14s. Didn’t have many 12s fielding 21 this week

10. Fooz

Fooz

June 7, 2019 at 10:57 am

First two trades are locked.
    1) Whitfield > Laird
    2) Burgess (spud) > Naish
    3) Libba > ? I can get: J Kelly / Gaff / Danger.

My concerns remain: J Kelly injury history; Gaff is a punchy spud and I don’t really like his match up this week in Sydney; Danger for DPP and FWD Line boosting…

I think it’ll just have to be J Kelly….

Fooz

June 7, 2019 at 11:03 am

Does Adelaide Tag? CE-Y – does he go to Kelly/Cogs/Taranto?

David

June 7, 2019 at 11:54 am

If sloane late out i reckon gibbs comes in and tags cogs

Dallas

June 7, 2019 at 12:04 pm

If they go the tag route – I imagine it flips between Jelly and Cogs over the course of the game as whichever is free to run will be doing damage.

Michael Barker

June 7, 2019 at 2:43 pm

J Kelly

M8

June 7, 2019 at 11:28 am

Bewley or Naish and why? Also can we trust Ziebell to play in the mids now?

Will

June 7, 2019 at 12:19 pm

bewley with the 2 games under his belt and lower BE sealed it for me. Can get naish later when he’s proven and has JS.
      I’m wondering the same about ziebell, so went with dusty for now….

Rory Shatkins

June 7, 2019 at 5:35 pm

Naish because he’s actually playing. No brainer, I would have thought.

Gary

June 7, 2019 at 11:41 am

1st trade is Hore to Naish.

2nd and 3rd trade options:

Miers to Boak or Ziebell
    Whitfield to Jelly or Houli

Thanks

Michael

June 7, 2019 at 11:46 am

Depends on your bye structure, but i’d go to Boak and Houli

Michael

June 7, 2019 at 11:45 am

Is cogs a must have? Should we be looking to get to him via Walsh?

Or is it better to ensure 20-21 players throughout the bye rounds and trade out Hamster to a playing rookie?

Gary

June 7, 2019 at 11:56 am

Thanks for above.

I personally think you can trade in Cogs. I’ve already burned a spot on my Def bench and cashed out. Probably around this time we can start burning spots to complete on field teams.

Personal opinion only

Adam

June 7, 2019 at 11:46 am

Still torn between Gaff/Kelly/Cogs?

texantexan

June 7, 2019 at 11:56 am

I’m going Whitfield -> Houli & Rozee -> Ziebell this week.
    The toss up is between:
    1. Macrae (giving me the shits) -> Dusty (all I can afford) or
    2. Answerth (on my bench) -> Dylan Clarke

rkovsfu

June 7, 2019 at 11:59 am

2. Hold Crae if he goes big against Carlton everyone will get him in at that price

Michael

June 7, 2019 at 12:01 pm

Yeah i would go 2 as well

Adam

June 7, 2019 at 6:57 pm

Unless you need the cash now, there is no point doing the second trade until next week. At least if you hold Answorth for this week you have a shot at a relevant score.

Mitch S

June 7, 2019 at 12:04 pm

I have only played AF a couple years and am no pro. I am in a league where we don’t play eachother in the byes and I am in no way in the hunt for TOTAL POINTS FOR.
    Should my bye strategy be the same as everyone else or can I use the rounds to get rid of some cash cows I should’ve turfed weeks ago even if they are playing. They’re not making money anymore and some are likely to lose more value.
    Need to offload Miers, Walsh, Rozee, Petruccelle, Gibbons, Setterfield….
    Any ideas appreciated.

Pendles4Brownlow

June 7, 2019 at 12:28 pm

If you don’t care about your weekly scores over the bye and perhaps copping some zeros over that period, work purely to improve your team over the byes. I know I have to dodge a couple of bullets over the period so I have a couple of sideways trades planned. You should not sideways trade any guns you have over this period (unless an injury is going to take one of the out past the bye rounds – like Whitfield). The rest of your trades should be downgrades and upgrades to ensure you have a better team come round 15. I cannot get Naish, because it will mean I do not field 18 players in round 14; whereas, he should be a priority downgrade for you as he is basement priced and will generate cash for future upgrades. Downgrade the rooks who have topped out or not playing – bring in Naish and O Baker (if you don’t have him) or Gardner and upgrade the third. If you don’t have D Clarke, you should bring him in next week as his price won’t change this week. Each week, you need to bring in at least one gun (more if you have enough cash), so read Roy’s Trade and Rolling 22 article, as the 22 are becoming a bit more stable, and use that to determine your upgrade targets.

Jono

June 7, 2019 at 3:27 pm

Agree with one caveat – you want to bring in three premos over the byes but doesn’t matter if it’s one a week. We have at the moment a few cheap rookies, and I doubt we get more. I’d do all the downgrades to Gardner/Naish/Bewley/Baker/Clarke first and then you can upgrade later once your cash generation is sorted. Otherwise you might be downgrading to Clarke in Rd 14 at $350k instead of $291

Ryan

June 7, 2019 at 12:04 pm

Whitfield -> Laird and W.Drew (was on my bench) ->Cogs
    Or Whitfield -> Houli and W.Drew -> S.Higgins?

Adam

June 7, 2019 at 7:00 pm

I like Laird and Cogs. At least you are buying low on one of them

MikeLowrey

June 7, 2019 at 12:19 pm

1. Whitfield, Walsh, Drew > Naish, Cogs, Gardner ($700K in the Warne Chest)
    2. Whitfield, Drew, Petruccelle > Houli, Gardner, Ziebell ($25K in the chest)

Rupert

June 7, 2019 at 1:13 pm

(but whoever is going to lose more cash this weekend out of petch and walsh should be traded out)

19. Will

Will

June 7, 2019 at 12:31 pm

thoughts on Dusty over Ziebell?

Pendles4Brownlow

June 7, 2019 at 12:37 pm

All the ideas on here have me triple guessing my plans. If I bring in Cogs this week (instead of Daniel), I will get a better score while getting Cogs at a lower price; however, I will lose out in round 14, as I will only just have the minimum 18 players on field, so I could be significantly down in round 14 as Cogs will be on the pine. I believe I would be worse off by about 24 points for the bye period, but I would come out with a team capable of greater scoring, and I would not have to fork out a high price for Cogs.

What’s better high early score, with a better team at the end, but a low round 14 score; or, low early score but a better bye round total?

21. Fooz

Fooz

June 7, 2019 at 1:17 pm

There’s a tweet by Lachie Reid indicating that Yeo Yeo wasn’t on the plane to Sydney…

WTF?

Mike

June 7, 2019 at 5:09 pm

Bloody hope not or I will be fielding Burgess

AdamParry

June 7, 2019 at 1:21 pm

Hey guys, looking to triple upgrade this week. Already bringing in De Goey and Higgins. Who should be my third out of Jeremy Cameron, Dayne Beams or Cam Rayner? Thanks guys. Love your work Calvin, you’ll always be my Captain lol! Go Pies!

Swans4Lyf

June 7, 2019 at 1:36 pm

Get the WhiteRhino! He will never disappoint! Go Swans go!

CommissionerMayes

June 7, 2019 at 2:40 pm

You should delete your team to save everyone the time of reading this post.

MikeLowrey

June 7, 2019 at 1:24 pm

Changed my thinking since I should have enough players, more so now about which premos to bring in:

1. Cogs, Daniel, Sicily
    2. Ziebell, Lobb, Gaff

Option 1 i will trade Fort to a premo ruck for 1 week as Grawndy cover, whereas option 2 I’ll have Lobb as a swing, but these are the unique premos between with bye strategies

Liam

June 7, 2019 at 1:37 pm

Thoughts

Whitfield/Hately/Lockart to Houli/Baker/Dusty

Nick

June 7, 2019 at 1:48 pm

Trade in Dusty, Ziebell or Coniglio?

Tom

June 7, 2019 at 3:08 pm

Corbett, Whitfield and Hinge (don’t see him playing anytime soon)
    J Kelly, Houli, Naish

Had cash spare…worth the Hinge Naish trade or go Ham instead?

Dan

Parker to Balta
    With $57k remaining

Or

C:
    Whitfield to Naish
    Macrae to O.Baker
    Parker to Any Fwd with 1.4mil remaining then plenty of spare change for round 13 bye.

Jono

June 7, 2019 at 3:36 pm

B. Option A and C are just delaying the inevitable upgrades, since you have the cash for them now. Take the points this week as well.

If you are worried about getting the right rookie trade Macrae to a fwd premo you don’t have and downgrade Parker to /Baker

SeanS

June 7, 2019 at 3:30 pm

Cogs or Ziebell?

Peter

June 7, 2019 at 3:49 pm

Not sure on who to choose Dusty low break even got an ok run home or Robinson higher break even but easier run home and plays Carlton this week

Mark Fawcett

June 7, 2019 at 4:08 pm

Going Whitfield, Clark & Wilkie > Coniglio, Daniels & Naish leaving me 311k for next week:) Daniel allows me to have him ready for coming out of the byes and still gives me a full 22 for this week.

Mark Fawcett

June 7, 2019 at 4:14 pm

Gives me 22 this week followed up with 18 & 15 playing the following 2 but can fix the 15 over the next 2 bye rounds…hopefully

Blair

June 7, 2019 at 4:36 pm

Whitfield for Houli straight swap or Whitfield swap dursma to back line and bring in Gaff.

Bird is the Word

June 7, 2019 at 4:36 pm

Dusty or Ziebell

Mecca

June 7, 2019 at 5:00 pm

If they were the same price, I’d probably favour Dusty but the $35k saved by getting Ziebell could be very useful elsewhere. If they both stay in midfield roles they are both good value. I’d say Ziebell if you are tight for cash but Martin if you already have a warchest saved up.

DanM

June 7, 2019 at 4:46 pm

Every bloody year I get screwed by the byes. I was setup beautifully last week with a full team playing and decent balance across the bye weeks, and just outside top 1,000.

Now I lose for the start of the all important bye rounds:
    – Whitfield
    – Yeo
    – Elis

3 premos, FMDT

Jay

June 7, 2019 at 4:47 pm

Thoughts on trades

Whitfield/ cripps/ Walsh out

1) Coniglio/ Houli/ dusty 12k left
    2) kelly/ Houli/ finlayson 19k left

Mecca

June 7, 2019 at 5:04 pm

I’d suggest 1 … Kelly looks great but I’m not convinced on Finlayson.

Mecca

June 7, 2019 at 5:05 pm

Stewart or Crisp? (need a R13 DEF)

Jay