Cash Cows

Fry’s Cash Cows – Rd. 22 + Award Nominees

With the AFL Fantasy season winding down, Fry is back to get the ball rolling for award season!

21 down, 2 to go!

We have reached preliminary finals weekend and for the coaches still in the mix, ultimate bragging rights are only 4 trades away! A few members from the cash cow class of 2021 are still having their say late into the season, but for most of the rookies, their time as relevant fantasy options has come and gone. However, that doesn’t mean they didn’t have an impact for coaches over the duration of the season and today we start the process of narrowing down the nominees for this season’s batch of awards!

Rookie/cash cows are usually defined as players who are priced at $300,000 or lower

If you missed out on the 2021 Rookie Guide I wrote prior to Round 1 check it out here!

Cash Cow King – Round 21

No rookie managed to push triple-figures in Round 21, but that didn’t stop a handful of cash cows from making a difference during the fantasy finals. Lachie Bramble (94) and Jeremy Sharp (88) are likely the last two rookies on-field for a large portion of the comp and the duo didn’t let their coaches down with a pair of impressive scores. Defensive mainstay Tom Highmore (87) wasn’t too far behind and Hawthorn’s Connor Nash (92) deserves special mention for his second consecutive score in the 90’s! I’m siding with the late ROY bolter in Jeremy Sharp for my nomination this week and the race to catch James Jordon for Cash Cow King honours is heating up with 2 rounds remaining.

Who's gets your vote as the Cash Cow King for Round 21?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Round 22 Rankings

With just two rounds left in the 2021 AFL fantasy season, there aren’t too many reliable cash cows left for us to trust on our fields. With that being said, a few of our popular rookies are producing better scores than some of the highly owned mid-priced talent and chopping out those $500K-$700K underperformers isn’t a terrible move by any means. If you’re opting to trade out a player like Jordan Ridley, Shai Bolton, Patrick Cripps or Reilly O’Brien to an elite fantasy player while keeping a rookie on your field, here are the few I still trust over the final fortnight of the season.

DEFENCE

1. Myles Bergman (Power)
  2. Trent Bianco (Magpies)*
  3. Tom Highmore (Saints)

MIDFIELD

1. Jeremy Sharp (Suns)
  2. Lachie Bramble (Hawks)
  3. James Jordon (Demons)

RUCK

1. Ned Reeves (Hawks)*
  2. N/A

FORWARD

1. Lachie Bramble (Hawks)
  2. Errol Gulden (Swans)
  3. Deven Robertson (Lions)*

* if named

Round 22 Downgrade Targets

A lot of coaches are at the point of the season where they are punting bench positions and trading away players in an effort to maximise points on the ground. There are a few fresh faces filtering through and your best chance might be to target a player who is at least named to play this round – providing you with a valuable emergency score. Here are the best (cheap) downgrade targets to close the season.

1. Josh Worrell ($170K, DEF/FWD, Crows)
  2. Brody Kemp ($170K, MID, Blues)
  3. Maurice Rioli ($174K, MID/FWD, Tigers)
  4. Joel Jeffrey ($182K, DEF, Suns)
  5. Jacob Edwards ($170K, RUC/FWD, Kangaroos)
  6. Josh Honey ($232K, MID/FWD, Blues)
  7. Nathan O’Driscoll ($218K, MID, Dockers)

Award Nominees

Through 21 rounds of this season, we have been gifted with 86 debutants and a high number of cash cows that aided our fantasy cause in what has been another testing year. The AFL continues to deal with COVID-19 ramifications that have altered fixtures, team lineups and even state leagues around Australia, but amongst all the chaos and carnage a particular group of rookies have produced some healthy scores for the fantasy community.

As we near the end of another fantasy campaign, it’s time to recognise some of those high achievers from the class of 2021, with your votes determining which players qualify for the final ballot! Next week I will be back with the final voting ballot for all the rookie/cash cow awards including Game of the Year, Position MVP’s, the Cash Cow King and more, but below you can have your say on which cash cows deserve recognition for their efforts this season.

Make 2-4 selections (depending on position) for the finalists of each positional award race. Voting closes at the conclusion of Round 21

DEFENCE

Who are your 3 nominations for the Cash Cow Defender of the Year?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

MIDFIELD

Who are your 4 nominations for the Cash Cow Midfielder of the Year?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

RUCK

Who are your 2 nominations for the Cash Cow Ruck of the Year?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

FORWARD

Who are your 3 nominations for the Cash Cow Forward of the Year?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER@SportsbyFry for all things AFL Fantasy (and more)! Feel free to hit me up with any questions you have throughout the season. Good Luck! ✌️

An Australian coffee/burrito enthusiast who is the frustrated owner of 16 fantasy teams. Writer for SportsbyFry and DT Talk ?

1. Cam

August 11, 2021 at 5:07 pm

Hi Fry,

Is the bont a genuine option ? if not who else in that price range

cheers

• Harry

August 11, 2021 at 5:11 pm

Has a hard matchup in port in GF

• Albo

August 12, 2021 at 10:31 am

He smashed Port last time they played.

• Fry

August 11, 2021 at 5:28 pm

He’s not a bad choice, despite the fact he’s going up against Port. I like Taylor Adams around the same price with Jack Crisp also an option in my eyes.

2. Patch

August 11, 2021 at 5:22 pm

In Briggs, we trust

• Fry

August 11, 2021 at 5:28 pm

I’m hoping he can solo ruck again and the Giants keep Mummy out of the lineup. I’m not confident though…

3. Timmy

August 11, 2021 at 6:59 pm

Grundy and wines
    Or
    Marshall and Mitchell
    Who will score more points

• Aby Benny

August 11, 2021 at 7:41 pm

2nd all day

• Aby Benny

August 11, 2021 at 7:42 pm

marshall tonnes up every week, gets it done

• Fry

August 11, 2021 at 8:18 pm

Marshall and Mitchell for me mate 🔥

• Timmy

August 12, 2021 at 6:29 am

Does it still mean n
        Go with Mitchell and .Marshall when my opponent has Marshall but not Grundy

• Fry

August 12, 2021 at 11:16 am

I’d still recommend grabbing Mitchell and Marshall

4. Zander

August 11, 2021 at 10:49 pm

I know he hasn’t been a household name for fantasy this year but Trey Ruscoe is a pretty safe bet with a great role at the moment on the half backline and job security, at least top 3 forwards right now I would have thought.

• Fry

August 12, 2021 at 11:18 am

He has been pretty impressive since he moved to the half back line, but I wouldn’t advise trading him in this late into the season. Taking that into consideration and the fact he’s only in 3% of teams I ranked Dev Rob above him, but Ruscoe’s form has been wicked!

5. Cody

August 12, 2021 at 11:31 am

Hey fry, you reckon that nash in the middle is safe enough for me to go hunter->nash so i can get brayshaw->steele. If not is there anyone sub 450k that would be better. Currently have no rooks on field so wonder if brining a rook back in is a viable option or not
    Cheers

• Cody

August 12, 2021 at 11:51 am

just realised i have two forced trades in brayshaw and danger if hes not playing. Is this just a sideswap for both of them or maybe brayshaw->mills and danger->wingard as a pod

• Fry

August 12, 2021 at 2:56 pm

Safe isn’t exactly the word I’d use for Nash, but you can’t argue with his last few scores! If it nets you Steele for Brayshaw that’s super tempting, but I’d rather toggle some rookies to make the cash over ditching Hunter. If you don’t have any decent bench players to axe, then there are worse moves you can make.

6. Mad Fish

August 12, 2021 at 11:35 am

Hey Fry, Marc Murphy to go big this week in his last game? I’m the sentimental type and have nothing to lose.

• Fry

August 12, 2021 at 2:57 pm

I’m a sucker for a farewell game as well. If you’ve got nothing on the line this time of year is all about playing for fun so go for it! Just don’t @ me if he has a 40 haha.

7. JMD012

August 12, 2021 at 12:50 pm

Hey Fry,
    So trading out cumming didn’t work last week haha, but only up from here. I have Brayshaw and unsure to hold or trade who is my secret weapon in my league matchups this week and likely next week. So what do you suggest?
    1) Ridley or Tim Kelly -> Whitfield (I have put Whitfield just purely based on matchups in the next 2 weeks, however can basically get anyone in Midfield or Defence 795k for Ridley and 846k for Kelly). I like Wines as well.
    2) Dunkley -> Marshall or Darcy or basically anyone in forward line, already have Zorko, Hall, Kelly, DeGoey, Kennedy (I took the risk at Dunkley a high price 2 weeks ago, and it didn’t work, I was ranked 189 at the time and needed to take a risk to go into top 100, didn’t work but that’s ok, now looking for league wins)
    3) Brayshaw -> Touk or Steele (Trading Brayshaw gets best players in game)

• Fry

August 12, 2021 at 2:59 pm

Hey mate, it seemed like the right move at the time! A lot of coaches were in the same boat so I feel for you mate…
      Out of those suggestions I like the idea of going Brayshaw to Touk. He’s only out a week, but I’d much rather make a play for one of those big dogs in the final fortnight. Also Touk>Steele for me

8. Chris

August 12, 2021 at 7:17 pm

Time are tough. Best DEF option to field under $375k?!

• Fry

August 13, 2021 at 10:43 am

Gross, there’s not a lot to like mate I’d honestly try another move or maybe…..MAYBE you could go Farrar?

9. Harmes

August 13, 2021 at 7:49 am

Hi Fry.

Pick one
    Issac Smith, Newman or Kennedy (Carlton)

• Fry

August 13, 2021 at 10:43 am

Isaac Smith

10. Plugger

August 14, 2021 at 11:52 am

What’s Comben’s ceiling? VFL form? Could he do a 70?