My Team

My Team 2021: Version 1.4

Scratch matches are done, AAMI games come up this week. Get chatting!

Fantasy is open for 2021! It’s quite a bit earlier than usual, so there’s no excuse for not having time to play with your team for what we hope will be a normal season coming up.

The first lockout of the season will be 7:25pm AEDT, Thursday 18 March at the bounce of Richmond v Carlton.

Chat in the comments about your team and whatever else Fantasy related. If you’re posting your team, make sure you put it in so it’s easy to read and include remaining cash out of your $13m salary cap. For all prices, click here.

Previous My Team Posts

JOIN OUR OPEN LEAGUE: X55XS3Z9
Click here to join

BlueBaggers

March 2, 2021 at 9:50 pm

How do you think Butters will go?

Squid

March 3, 2021 at 7:10 am

Will come out hard but soften up when things heat up.

Brucey Don't Like Rusty

2nd

max

March 2, 2021 at 10:19 pm

butters or phillips?

BlueBaggers

March 2, 2021 at 11:10 pm

I would personally go Phillips as he will get his spot on the wing back at Hawthorn and maybe a run through the mid

James

March 2, 2021 at 11:44 pm

Rank best to worst fantasy player this year.

Sloane
    Heppell
    Ben Cunnington
    Caldwell

Squid

March 3, 2021 at 7:02 am

At this stage you could throw a blanket over to lot, all solid value picks with plenty of upside.

Phteven

March 2, 2021 at 11:54 pm

Caldwell, Sloane, Heppell, Cunno

Bob

March 2, 2021 at 11:57 pm

588k to pick a d5 and a M7 who do you go

March 3, 2021 at 8:20 am

Dow and & Cox or Downie & H. Young/Cumming

Joe Daniher made me cry

March 3, 2021 at 12:05 am

DEF: Laird, Williams, McEvoy, Markov, Cumming, Ling (Koschitzke, Madden)
    MID: Walsh, Taranto, Cerra, Angus Brayshaw, Rowell, Dow, Downie (Gulden, RCD)
    RUC: Gawn, ROB (Flynn)
    FWD: Dangerfield, Phillips, Caldwell, Daniher, Campbell, Rowe (Jones, Waterman)
    Utility: E. Smith

Kind of worried about that defence but not confident about any defensive rookies. As a result, am concerned that the team as a whole is too mid-pricey. Any thoughts??

March 3, 2021 at 8:18 am

Joe made me cry too. Get helmet outta there, downgrade to rookie to get markov of your field. best defender rookies are cox, l jones, idun or highmore so pick one of those.

Trying his best

March 3, 2021 at 12:12 am

Who’s the better option out of Cripps and Taranto (both priced at $718,000) and would you pick Mills over Laird and save some cash?

Triple X

March 3, 2021 at 1:25 am

Cripps easy and no laird over mills

March 3, 2021 at 8:17 am

Cripps has had injuries. While I doubt he’ll be affected significantly by this it is something to keep in mind. Also is prone to taggers which do occasionally affect his score. I’d wait on this for the community games because Taranto’s 2019 was elite

Musca

March 3, 2021 at 1:34 am

Def- laird, Lloyd, Williams, witherden, highmore, Gould
    ( Bianca, wehr )

Mid- Mcrea, Sloane, Rowell, Hatley, green, Phillips, Powell, Robertson
    ( Donnie, collier- Dawkins )

Rucks- Gawn, Grundy ( Flynn)

FWDS- Dunkley, Phillips, rozzee, Dow, cockatoo, Campbell
    ( Kelly, Jones)

Utility- t Dow

Bank – 151K

Any help, feedback or ideas on team?

Thanks

JMD567

March 3, 2021 at 7:02 am

Your structure hinges on the Big 2 in the ruck. Not a bad strategy. Just a thought I would consider Lloyd to Mills, Witherdan to Young/Cunming, Macrae to Cripps/Taranto, and hopefully that could get you enough for someone like Walsh fit Hately or Green. Otherwise you are relying heavily on your rookies/unproven midpricers. Otherwise I like the strategy

March 3, 2021 at 8:15 am

What this guy said. It seems like you have gone guns ‘n rookies but the truth is there aren’t enough rookies to rely on for 20+ rounds

Harm

March 3, 2021 at 2:56 am

Best combo

1. Gawn, Danger and Cumming or
    2. ROB, Mills and Cunnington

JMD567

March 3, 2021 at 6:56 am

1 by far

Paddy Wow

March 3, 2021 at 7:00 am

Rob Mills??😁

Brendon

March 3, 2021 at 8:03 am

Gawn is tricky will score the most but mills and cunnington cover danger cumming easily. So your banking on gawn to outscore reilly by 30 each week i would say

JMD567

March 3, 2021 at 7:04 am

What is everyone thoughts on
    Patrick Cripps Versus Andrew Brayshaw?
    And
    Jarrod Witts for R2 consideration, can he get to his former glory?

Brendon

March 3, 2021 at 8:01 am

I like witts i am considering him or mcevoy and spend money somewhere else

Ando the brain dead barfly

March 3, 2021 at 7:59 am

Cerra or Serong?

Brendon

March 3, 2021 at 8:00 am

Serong more upside. I think higher ceiling

Tim

March 3, 2021 at 8:35 am

DEF: Laird, Crisp, Williams, Cumming, Young, Webster (Gould,Bianco)
    MID: Merrett, Steele, Gaff, Taranto, Cripps, Rowell, Gulden, Downie (Valente,RCD)
    RUC: Witts, McEvoy (Flynn)
    FWD: Heeney, Phillips, Caldwell, Dow, Rowe, Cahill (Bergman, Jones)

UTL: Worrell

8k left

Rookies hopefully friendly

Brendon

March 3, 2021 at 9:45 am

Wicked midfield mate

Brendon

March 3, 2021 at 9:49 am

Any advise have 200k left pretty happy with my team. So may use it on better rookies once know the go.

Backs. Llyod, laird, mills, harmes, cumming young.
    Em highmore bianco

Mids cripps walsh rowell sloane cunnington sier green downie
    Em valante powell

Rucks gawn mvevoy
    Em flynn

Fwds phillips caldwell hunt dow campbell bergman
    Em kelly rowe

Utl jones

March 3, 2021 at 2:32 pm

upgrade sier to serong

Brendon

March 3, 2021 at 10:11 pm

Thankyou that is a good idea but may sit on sier for cash. I am wanting to get cash fast has its burnt me before

March 4, 2021 at 8:18 am

Okay, good luck

Tommy

March 3, 2021 at 10:01 am

Gday all, would love some thoughts on this team. Pretty much sold on it and think it is the structure to run with but would love some feedback
    Def: laird, Williams, ash, cumming, young, Cox (wehr, Gould)
    Mid: gaff, Walsh, Taranto, serong, Rowell, green, Phillips, downie (valente, mead)
    Ruck: Gawn, Grundy (flynn)
    Fwd: Dunkley, Phillips, Caldwell, Fantasia, Campbell, Rowe (Bergman, kelly)
    UTL: Jones

Charlie's Angels

March 3, 2021 at 1:08 pm

Any interest in replacing Gawn with ROB to get some cash to push Gaff up to Zerret and maybe Green to Cunnington?

Kinger

March 3, 2021 at 12:07 pm

Would love some advice plz
    37k left

Lloyd, laird, doch, cumming, young, idun (highmore, gould)

Merrett, walsh, serong, rowell, Green, sier, gulden, macrae (downie, ralphsmith)

Gawn, Grundy (flynn)

Phillips, caldwell, daniher, dow, campbell, cox (Rowe, smith)

(Waterman)

Tia guys

March 3, 2021 at 4:03 pm

Your main focus right now is to get rid of Sier. My advice would be to downgrade Lloyd to Mills and upgrade Sier to Heppell or Sloane,

PK

March 3, 2021 at 12:34 pm

1) Laird (D1), Cummings (D4), Dunkley (F2) + 24k
    OR
    2) Docherty (D2), Duggan (D4), Caldwell (F4) + 44k

Cheers

Joey

March 3, 2021 at 1:21 pm

Hately or Sier??

Jess

March 3, 2021 at 1:36 pm

DEF: Laird, Williams, Harmes, Cumming, Cox, Jones (Gould, Wehr)
    MID: Coniglio, Walsh, Taranto, Serong, Rowell, Cunnington, Cockatoo, Powell (Valente, Mead)
    RUC: Gawn, ROB (Flynn)
    FWD: Dunkley, Phillips, Caldwell, Stephenson, Thilthorpe, Rowe (Kelly, Jones)
    Utility: Worrell

Would love some feedback! Thanks.

Intelsonic

March 3, 2021 at 2:25 pm

Can’t see Thilthorpe being name round one unless the crows have injuries, Cockatoo also is out injured and wont make round one, after Bevo’s on Dunkley today including stating he isnt at his best and there is pressure on his spot I have super cold fee on him, additionally stephensons role looked pretty putried in the practice.

Aside from that some solid pics though

Phteven

March 3, 2021 at 3:31 pm

We are all in the same boat with thes 170k benchers. All could be playing, some could be playing or none. It’s a wait and see game. Your infielders look tidy. Best of luck.

March 3, 2021 at 3:57 pm

Cockatoo is injured, Stephenson will either play as a high forward or on the wing (which I doubt because he didn’t against the Saints). Regardless, he’s in a bad team and is a player that can’t score by himself. I’d go for Cameron or Daniher

March 3, 2021 at 4:04 pm

Best defender or forward rookie under 234K?

Mighty Puds

March 3, 2021 at 4:08 pm

Def: Idun, Ling, Pearce (maybe?), Highmore

Fwd: Brockman, Smith, Cahill, Rowe, Henry (if you can find an extra 4k), Waterman

March 3, 2021 at 7:39 pm

Thanks a lot mate. Right now it is Idun & Cox (in forwards), but I reckon those positions will hinge on community games.

Jesse

March 3, 2021 at 4:20 pm

Cripps with 3k left over in the bank or Serong with 85k left?

LW [Why Don't you Choose a Different Alias?]

March 3, 2021 at 5:16 pm

Serong and 85k

March 3, 2021 at 7:36 pm

Cripps

March 3, 2021 at 5:02 pm

Merrett or Gaff ?

The Real Daniel

March 3, 2021 at 7:25 pm

is this an impostor? Personally imma go Zerrett but that could be my Bombers bias. Both great options; if you have Gawn/Grundy then I’d go Gaff as there is already a ceiling and captain options, but if anything other Zerrett

Harry

March 3, 2021 at 5:23 pm

Def : Stewart, Howe, WIlliams, Young, Jones Laird (Highmore, Gould)

Mid : Zerret, Steele, Adams, Serong, Rowell, Downie, Phillips, Powell (Collier-Dawkins, Schofield)

Ruc : Grundy, Hickey ( Flynn)

Fwd : Danger, Hunt , Phillips, Campbell, Bergman, Robertson ( Brownless, Paul Oea)

54k Remaining

Any Advice???!!

Zach

March 3, 2021 at 7:36 pm

Jones isn’t a good fantasy scorer so I’d recommend either Cox or Idun. Steele is overpriced from Covid quarters, but Gaff is a great option with elite consistency. Adams has had an interrupted preseason, so downgrade him to one of Taranto/Walsh/Cripps. Use this money to upgrade Phillips to Tom Green from GWS. Then downgrade Howe to Cumming or H Young. With this extra cash I would upgrade Bergman to Caldwell. Make sure that all of you bench are under 200K and playing. With whatever cash you have upgrade one of Robertson or Hickey. Not sure exactly what the team would look like then but It’d be better.

Jeeby

March 3, 2021 at 6:31 pm

DEF: Lloyd, Laird, Williams, Webster, Cox, Idun
    MID: Merrett, Steele, Gaff, Rowell, Tyson, Powell, Gulden, Downie
    RUC: Grundy, Witts
    FWD: Danger, Dusty, Phillips, Dow, Campbell, Cahill

March 3, 2021 at 7:00 pm

Way too many rookies on your field. Downgrade Steele who is overpriced to Taranto/Cripps/Walsh. Then downgrade Lloyd/Laird to get one of cox or idun off your field. This is not the year for guns n rookies.

Shaun

March 3, 2021 at 6:34 pm

Def: Laird, Mills, Z Williams, Cumming, H Young, Highmore
    Mid: Taranto, Serong, Sloane, Rowell, LDU, Cunnington, T Green, T Powell
    Ruc: Gawn, Grundy
    Fwd: Dangerfield, Phillips, Caldwell, Dow, B Campbell, E Smith

Most confident I have been with a side, fairly assured in their value and upside. thoughts everyone?

March 3, 2021 at 6:42 pm

Too many mid pricers in the mid field. Also look for another option for your F6

peter

March 3, 2021 at 6:50 pm

Don’t listen to him Shaun, I think you got a good team, it’s hard to splash cash around when you have Gawn and Grundy. I think you have spaced it out well. I’d be happy with that team. Even they are mid prices they are proven fantasy guns who represent good value hoping rooks can be available to assist in future rounds. Love the forward and back setup too good job and you have two set and forget captain options too.

March 3, 2021 at 7:23 pm

Mate I have almost an identical backline (only diff is highmore -> cox) forwards are also very similar with mine being Hunt (unfortunately) F Macrae (gonna be changed) & Rowe. Then as I said my rucks are the same, but my midfield is Zerrett, Walsh, Taranto, Rowell, Green, Powell & Downie.

March 3, 2021 at 7:23 pm

And Dow at M6

Shaun

March 3, 2021 at 7:37 pm

If you’re wanting someone to try and make sense of someone else’s selections then it is far easier to post this in a team format below.

Shaun

March 3, 2021 at 7:25 pm

cheers peter, yes I agree. forwards and defenders I want to be set and quite regular as the choice is far less compared to the midfield. Gawn and Grundy comes with a compromise but as you mention has great benefit of giving you a look at both on the vc/c basis of the loop. As for the f6, if Ely Smith is named he’s rotating on a wing. I don’t see a better fwd rookie option (second to B Campbell).

March 3, 2021 at 7:16 pm

I have an extremely similar team until it comes to the midfield. Then we need to ask, which of us will score the most points, and who will keep the most players at the end of the season – you don’t want to waste trades throughout the season so you can keep to your plans and improve your squad. I’d give you 9 keepers, while most squads will have 12. Of course midprice madness is a strategy this year, but just something to keep at the back of your mind. You may outscore me, but I will improve my team at a much faster rate, so at the bye rounds I will outscore you. As I said, it’s just food for thought :) Good luck!

Shaun

March 3, 2021 at 7:34 pm

On what basis are you improving your team on a “much faster rate”, the sole fact you believe I will be wasting trades on midpricers?
        Very interesting argument.

March 3, 2021 at 7:48 pm

Rookies will help in having faster cash generation, but also simply some of your midpricers not paying off. Also the lower breakevens of rookies will help. As you said, it is an interesting debate.

Shaun

March 3, 2021 at 8:19 pm

I have maybe one or two less rookies, the midpricer can easily have the same cash generation.
            I don’t see the great madness in the midpricers I have selected. And if they perform to a high ceiling then all of a sudden I have gained an extra premium, which actually gives me greater scoring potential when it comes to the bye rounds.
            “interesting argument” in that I don’t see the logic without complete manipulation to fit the argument.

March 4, 2021 at 8:17 am

LDU – big risk, Cunnington – not a known fantasy scorer, Sloane – good value who I have, Green – plays at the Giants and is a young player good luck, Rowell – good value and i have him. I already have the proper value picks, while not having the risk of LDU, Cunnington or Green.

pattyboy

March 3, 2021 at 7:47 pm

DEF: lloyd, laird, mills, h young, cumming, gould, (rookies)
    MID: walsh, taranto, a brayshaw, slone, rowell, powell, gulden, downie (rookies)
    RUCK gawn grundy, flynn
    FOR: danger, phillips, caldwell, dow, rowe, bosenavulagi, (rookies)

thoughts? not 100% sold on danger feel like he will lose money a but his run is rlly good. big watches on mills and brayshaw, i rlly think he can be a rlly good snipe, also taranto mid for split is a big watch.

March 3, 2021 at 7:52 pm

Swap Gould to Highmore but really good squad imo

March 3, 2021 at 8:05 pm

Very new squad which has just undergone the journey of getting Max & Danger
    D: Laird, Mills, Williams, Cumming, H Young, Idun (Highmore, Gould)
    M: Zerrett, Walsh, Taranto, Rowell, Green, Dow, Gulden, Downie (RCD, Jordon)
    R: Gawn, Grundy (Flynn)
    F: Danger, Phillips, Caldwell, Hunt, Cox, Rowe (Jones, Waterman)
    U: (Treacy)

Obviously not thrilled with Hunt but I reckon this is the best structure I’ll have. Open to any thoughts or advice, cheers

LW [Why Don't you Choose a Different Alias?]

March 3, 2021 at 8:53 pm

– Powell will be the best scoring playing rook, must have
      – Hunt is a line breaker and certainly not an accumulator thus he does not have the scoring potential for their to be upside on 370k
      – Sloane a starting, centre bounce attending midfielder for only 580k is very hard not to select. Easily someone who could hurt your ranking due to his high ownership and role
      – Idun is a KPP, I’d be playing Highmore D6, poor use of 50k in my view.
      – Cox, I don’t see outscoring 170k options to be viable of of spending 80k/90k more

March 3, 2021 at 9:02 pm

Okay thanks, good call. I like Cox on his wing role, I really like Green but Sloane is extremely high value so I’ll try to get him in. community series will change a bit of a fair bit of my side. Powell is in a weak midfield and I’m waiting on role for him, because I have concerns about him being rested a bit. What is Highmore’s scoring potential?

LW [Why Don't you Choose a Different Alias?]

March 3, 2021 at 9:13 pm

– Cox may have a good role but Ely Smith should he be named will be playing on the wing also
          – Weak midfield, is an inaccurate statement. Granted, North Melbourne are not the buzz of the competition but their midfield of Cunnington, Anderson, Simpkin, LDU & Dumont is not weak. I don’t see why there is an importance placed on this either, I assume you didn’t pick Rowell last year then.
          – Powell will be playing a rotating half forward/wing/midfield role
          – Highmore will have a greater scoring potential than Idun, I would estimate in the region of 55

March 3, 2021 at 9:38 pm

Okay thanks a lot mate. Gold Coast mids went surprisingly well at the start with Rowell, but that might be because of Rowell. The same won’t happen with Powell. You saw how North got smashed by the Saints, and I don’t think that their fantasy numbers would’ve looked too good either. I have 137K leftover now, where should I spend it. Looking at all my rookies and there are no obvious upgrades. Thinking it could just be some money to spend on my bench to give playing rookies.
            D: Laird, Mills, Williams, Cumming, H Young, Highmore (Wehr, Gould)
            M: Zerrett, Walsh, Taranto, Sloane, Rowell, Powell, Gulden, Downie (RCD, Jordon)
            R: Gawn, Grundy (Flynn)
            F: Danger, Phillips, Caldwell, Dow, Rowe, Smith (Jones, Waterman)
            U: (Treacy)

Mighty Puds

March 3, 2021 at 9:48 pm

Personally wouldn’t have Ely Smith on field but definitely on the bench. Never really been that big on Sloane given his age and injury history despite his cheap price tag, think green offers pretty similar output for a much cheaper price. You were right with Cox though, think his role is really good and Bombers want to get games into him, Perkins etc. Maybe try have him D6 as not completely convinced Highmore plays R1 given he sat out a half last week.

LW [Why Don't you Choose a Different Alias?]

March 3, 2021 at 10:22 pm

As a second rookie in a forward line next to B Campbell I really like Ely should he play. I’ve seen many teams with the likes of Rowe, Brockman & Cahill at D6.
                North had a very depleted side, they were missing 6 of their starting midfielders/ruck. By all means don’t select Powell, he’ll very likely be the first rookie to 400k.

RCD won’t play so there’s a start.
                Finding another 100k for T Green to reduce it to 2 mid rookies on field I would suggest is a good move.

Mighty Puds

March 3, 2021 at 10:29 pm

Have Smith at M7 currently to fit him in, seems one of the most likely mid rookies to play and with the likes of Joes, Waterman, Rowe etc to fill the forward bench having a bit of DPP might come in handy.

LW [Why Don't you Choose a Different Alias?]

March 3, 2021 at 10:55 pm

Yes so if you are squeezing Jones, Waterman and Rowe f7, f8 and utl then Smith is the obvious f6, unless you have him on the bench in the midfield but I like Jordon and A Scott/McNeil there.

Mighty Puds

March 3, 2021 at 11:30 pm

True, might go with Smith and Jordon on the midfield bench the, just like the forwards bench guys I have. Have Smith and Brockman there currently.

March 4, 2021 at 8:21 am

Haha Mighty Puds you gave me some very conflicting advice!!

Harry

March 3, 2021 at 8:36 pm

Docherty and Jack Higgins or Williams and Butters?

March 3, 2021 at 9:02 pm

Can you go Williams & Phillips

LW [Why Don't you Choose a Different Alias?]

March 3, 2021 at 9:05 pm

I prefer the second.

motor

March 3, 2021 at 9:54 pm

Does anyone know with certainty whether the bench in the AAMI community games are 4 or 8?

LW [Why Don't you Choose a Different Alias?]

March 3, 2021 at 10:25 pm

8, teams are on the afl website.

Melissa

March 3, 2021 at 9:58 pm

Frampton at F6. Thoughts?

LW [Why Don't you Choose a Different Alias?]

March 3, 2021 at 10:26 pm

328k F6, I wouldn’t be doing. Not with the rookies at disposal on that line.

motor

March 3, 2021 at 10:04 pm

If it is 8 then we are all going to be faced with a nasty R1 unless clubs give us the “heads up” prior to the opening Thursday night game when it comes to rookie selections.

I am well aware that until each game starts unlimited trades” will apply..

motor

March 3, 2021 at 10:15 pm

Our teams are purely “fishing expeditions” currently. The article on afl.com.ah did not fill me with confidence. Harrison Jones may not play This week. Adams another setback. Prestia 50/50 etc etc etc. And we have this week’s games still to be played lol!! Going to be a fun 20 days.

Mighty Puds

March 3, 2021 at 10:26 pm

Article on afl.com.au said Jones is fine, no serious damage and he is tracking towards a R1 debut so seems like nothing big to worry about. Definitely have to hope for no injuries though, stressful times.

Charlotte2015!

March 3, 2021 at 10:19 pm

Def: Laird-Mills-Scholl-Cumming-Young-Highmore.
    Mid: Walsh-Toranto-Serong-Rowell-Sloane-Green-Downie-Powell.
    Ruck:Gawn-Grundy.
    Fwd: Danger-Phillips-Caldwell-Dow-Campbell-Waterman.
    264k in the bank.
    Advice and ideas would be appreciate 🤙🏽

motor

March 3, 2021 at 10:41 pm

Who is on your bench?

March 4, 2021 at 8:12 am

Upgrade Waterman to Daniher leaving you with 2K in the bank.

Shredder Pigs

March 3, 2021 at 10:20 pm

Def: Laird-Mills-Scholl-Cumming-Young-Highmore.
    Mid: Walsh-Toranto-Serong-Rowell-Sloane-Green-Downie-Powell.
    Ruck:Gawn-Grundy.
    Fwd: Danger-Phillips-Caldwell-Dow-Campbell-Waterman.
    264k in the bank.
    Advice and ideas would be appreciate 🤙🏽

motor

March 3, 2021 at 10:46 pm

2 different avatars. No bench players posted. That might be some basic advice and an idea to begin with.

LW [Why Don't you Choose a Different Alias?]

March 3, 2021 at 10:57 pm

170k bench may be possible.

motor

March 3, 2021 at 11:10 pm

Agreed LW but not exactly helpful background information. Let’s assume you are the doctor and I am the patient. I come into your surgery and you ask me what is wrong with you? I reply that I am sick.