My Team

My Team 2021: Version 1.0

Discuss your team in My Team.

Fantasy is open for 2021! It’s quite a bit earlier than usual, so there’s no excuse for not having time to play with your team for what we hope will be a normal season coming up.

The first lockout of the season will be 7:25pm AEDT, Thursday 18 March at the bounce of Richmond v Carlton.

Chat in the comments about your team and whatever else Fantasy related. If you’re posting your team, make sure you put it in so it’s easy to read and include remaining cash out of your $13m salary cap. For all prices, click here.

JOIN OUR OPEN LEAGUE: X55XS3Z9
Click here to join

Thanos

January 25, 2021 at 11:07 pm

Advice plz.

Laird, doch, z.williams, h.young, L.young, L.jones
    (gould, Bianco)

Treloar, titch, walsh, taranto, rowell, phillips, Powell, cockatoo.
    (Mead, e.smith)

Grundy, preuss (brooksby)

Dunks, Marshall, phillips, buddy, dev.robertson, campbell
    (Rowe, w.kelly)
    (Perkins)

1k rem cheers

patty

January 26, 2021 at 9:29 am

Third year boys, thoughts on the team? 42k left.
    Def: Lloyd, williams, w day, cumming, h young, gould, (wehr bianco)
    Mid, adams, walsh, taranto, daicos, rowell, hately, phillips, powell, (2x 170k)
    Ruck: ROB, preuss (170k)
    For: Marshall, t phillips, JDG, rozee, cockatoo, n cahill, (w kelly, worrell)
    utl: 170k

This is my first team ive made, pending on who plays round 1 such as titch or danger, cheers

Snags

January 26, 2021 at 2:45 pm

Lloyd a solid captain choice each week but could go down the Whitfield to free up cash to change Daicos to Titch if all goes well with his shoulder, should average 110+ and a good captain option. Fwd line isn’t spectacular, I like Marshall for consistency and a swing option. Phillips a good option always underrated and I think is underpriced. Rucks fine. Like the Walsh pick

Snags

January 26, 2021 at 2:18 pm

Hey lads, thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated, $0 remaining and I think it’s looking pretty good:

Laird, Docherty, Williams, Cumming, H.Young, L.Young – (Gould,McLennan)

Gaff, Treloar, Taranto, Rowel, Hately, Maginness, Phillips, Powell – (Valente,Collier-Dawkins)

Grundy, Preuss (Flynn)

Dunkley, Marshall, Heeney, Phillips, Flanders, Rowe (Robertson, Kelly)

Utility-Mead

4. rossco1

rossco1

January 26, 2021 at 5:46 pm

THOUGHTS on my squad atm:

DEF: Lloyd, Stewart, Williams, Cumming, H. Young, L. Young
    MID: Walsh, Taranto, Daicos, B. Smith, Cerra, Rowell, Phillips, Pedlar
    RUC: Nankervis, Preuss
    FWD: Dunkley, Marshall, Higgins, Rozee, Perkins, Ely Smith.

Quite a few POD’s.

Geoff

January 29, 2021 at 4:39 pm

E.Smith won’t get a game. Bri Fwds priority: 1 Daniher, 2 Hipwood, 3 McStay 4 Ballenden, 5 Fulleron.

Luke Parker

January 29, 2021 at 5:23 pm

Smith isn’t a key fwd from memory, more of a tall mid

SB

January 30, 2021 at 8:59 am

E.Smith burning up the track could get a gig on the wing apparently

CJ

January 29, 2021 at 5:58 pm

Like the Higgins POD. Could pay off in a big way. Definitely a preseason watch for me

22 guns

January 26, 2021 at 9:12 pm

DRAFT LEAGUE for people interested standard points scoring 11/2/21 7.30pm 16 team league 22 players please join if interested DT DRAFT CODE ENA757VZ

Brian Smith

January 27, 2021 at 3:41 am

Looking at this lot to start with:
    Whit, McDonald, Williams, Cumming, Wehr, Gould
    Titch, Walsh, Taranto, Rowell, Sloane, Cunnington, W.Phillips, Valente
    Grundy & Preuss (of course)
    Danger, Heeney, Wingard, Caldwell, Buddy, Perkins
    Or I drop W.Phillips and boost Cumming to Milera

Legends!!

January 30, 2021 at 1:18 pm

Drop wingard first thing mate

Trevor marmalade

January 27, 2021 at 11:45 pm

Anyone rolling with Draper or de Koning as R2

bomberpap

January 28, 2021 at 4:30 pm

Both are pretty interesting picks.. I like de Koning as an alternative to Preuss at R2, but do you think he can outscore him? Preuss has shown a huge ceiling in the past and you could miss the boat despite it being a vanilla option that 50% of coaches will roll with.

If de Koning (or Draper) have slow starts and Preuss goes back you’ll be playing catch up all year.

Wathen FC

January 28, 2021 at 6:23 pm

My first team before I make changes with the pre-season in a couple of weeks.

Remaining Salary: $74k

Defence:
    Jake Lloyd, Lachie Whitfield, Zac Williams, Hayden Young, Lachie Young, Dylan Roberton
    (Tyson Goldsack, Will Gould)
    Midfield:
    Lachie Neale (C), Tom Rockliff, Tom Mitchell, Caleb Serong, Matt Rowell, Jackson Hately, Will Phelps, Tom Powell
    (Luke Valente, Riley Collier-Dawkins)
    Ruck:
    Reilly O’Brien, Braydon Preuss
    (Lloyd Meek)
    Forward:
    Patrick Dangerfield, Jye Caldwell, Lance Franklin, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Nakia Cockatoo, Atu Bosenavulagi
    (James Rowe, Deven Robertson)
    Utility:
    (Josh Worrell)

Thoughts, lads?

The Chosen Won

January 28, 2021 at 7:12 pm

Paying up for Lloyd is a risk, Even if he averages the same he will lose money. Look for value and use the extra coin elsewhere and grab Jake when he loses 100K. Roberton is like a 10% chance of being named round 1, Goldsack wont play unless they lose 10 players to injury.

Solid Midfield although i think you will need to spend some cash on you bench with limit rookies might be the year to chase value.

I like O’Brien pick and even had him at R1 most of the preseason, Then i saw the light I just see Grundy as the better option and can be a weekly captain choice.

Caldwell F2…. That extra coin i mentioned in my earlier comments i suggest you use it here..

Good Luck™®©

Luke Parker

January 28, 2021 at 8:32 pm

Have ROB R1 myself currently, just think the 40k odd saving over Grundy is a bonus plus think he will close the gap on the top two this year and didn’t seem as banged up last year (definitely nervous without him though).

Feel with Lloyd that if you don’t start with him you’ll find it hard to get him in as I don’t see him doing badly enough to drop significantly and even if he does drop it likely won’t be much so you’ll still have to pay up. Just think he and Whitefield are that much better it will be hard to cover them but there is definitely value elsewhere.

David C

January 30, 2021 at 10:10 am

Roberton looking more likely to retire than play a game

Legends!!

January 30, 2021 at 1:17 pm

Your fwds need a bit of work but awesome team mate well done

Triple X

January 28, 2021 at 11:27 pm

I agree with The Chosen Won Lloyd is to expensive swans have a bad start to the season he’s price could drop off not in my side but if you like him pick him

Double Parked

January 29, 2021 at 6:25 pm

Hey guys, been tinkering for a bit, 15k remaining

Team: Double Parked

Def:
    Whitfield, Laird, Williams, Milera, Cumming, H.Young (Gould, Bianco)

Mid:
    Gaff/Mitchell, Taranto, Sloane, Rowell, Heppell, Cunnington, Gulden, Valente (Robertson, RCD)

Ruc:
    Grundy, Preuss (Meek)

Fwd:
    Zorko, Heeney, Phillips, Franklin, Campbell, Cockatoo (Rowe, Kelly)

Uti:
    (Worrell)

Only the 6 rookies on field including Young and Cumming who are borderline midprice.

Will roll with this until the preseason matches. Thoughts?

Snags

January 30, 2021 at 7:58 am

I like the Gulden and Campbell picks from the mighty swans, would possibly down grade Heppell to Powell or Phillips and upgrade Slone to a gun. I hope Franklin can go back to his best but is still risky, if you can find the cash, try and get him to either Dunkley or Marshall as set and forgets. Back line is stacked, could go Milera to Lewis Young to free up some $$$

Legends!!

January 30, 2021 at 1:16 pm

Besides heeney and cockatoo. Nice team

Luke Parker

January 30, 2021 at 2:18 pm

What’s wrong those two? Heeney frustrating but consistent while Cockatoo is reportedly in great shape and is dirt cheap.

The Chosen Won

January 30, 2021 at 6:13 pm

Overall not too bad..

I dont like the Laird pick.
      I think M4-8 Could cause you some grief and i see a lot of sideways trading..
      I like Zorko pick .

Looking forward to taking you on in 2021

Good Luck™®©

Double Parked

January 31, 2021 at 2:25 pm

Cheers for the reply guys
        – pretty happy to have the stacked backline, I feel like each of the picks there are pretty safe. I was also a bit unsure on Laird to start with but if he has the role where he floats between Mid and Def I see him getting back to his career high of 107 – after round 8 last he had by far the highest PPM of all defenders

– Personally not a fan of Heeney either, but honestly can’t say I’m a fan of really any forwards available. With question marks on Danger, Dunkley, Walters etc. I feel like Zorko is probably the safest of the bunch. If I didn’t go Heeney I’d probably look at Z. Bailey if his role looks good in preseason matches

– Midfield is admittedly risky, but of all lines it definitely presents the most value. If Heppell and Cunnington are fit they at least can serve as solid ‘roses’ and make some $$$ – or if I’m lucky could even be keepers (more so Heppell than Cunnington). If they flop I can easily do an upgrade / downgrade. There’s a few other guys around that price like Ross and Redden but I feel like they have much stiffer competition for a spot in the guts.

Lucas

January 29, 2021 at 10:21 pm

Thoughts on updated team:

24k left in bank

DEF: Whitfield, Laird, Williams, Cumming, Wehr, Gould (2x170k)

MID: Adams, M.Crouch, Walsh, Taranto, Rowell, Phillips, Pedlar, Powell (2x170k)

FWD: Dunkley, Bolton, Phillips, Caldwell, Perkins, Macrae (2x170k)

UTL: 170k

Cunnington has been traded out for Pedlar and L.Young for a 170k rookie which has allowed upgrades on Daicos to Matt Crouch and Rozee to Dunkley

Lucas

January 29, 2021 at 10:23 pm

RUCK: Grundy, Preuss (170k)

Double Parked

January 29, 2021 at 10:41 pm

I guess it’s a preseason watch but I feel like you might be expecting a bit too much from the defence rookies. Wehr will need to develop physically before getting a game. Would recommend finding room for either H. Young or L. Young, and maybe even a decent mid priced option as well.

Given there’s so many value options this year, I feel like you’ve gone a bit too hard on the guns & rookies approach. While Adams and Crouch would be good I reckon the $ could be better spent around the ground

Legends!!

January 30, 2021 at 1:15 pm

Look at other options for cumming, i liked him till i looked up past years.

Luke Parker

January 30, 2021 at 2:15 pm

Seems a much better option this year…

The Chosen Won

January 29, 2021 at 11:05 pm

RDT Open for 2021. Invites have been sent to those who played last season.

Good Luck 2020™®©

Double Parked

January 29, 2021 at 11:18 pm

Chosen Won,
      For fantasy can last year’s leagues be reactivated or will you make new ones from scratch? Cheers

The Chosen Won

January 30, 2021 at 8:46 am

Trying to reactivate however there is some issue, Working with Fan Hub Media Support to get it sorted. Will keep you updated :)

Good Luck 2020™®©

Double Parked

January 30, 2021 at 8:59 am

Legend! cheers :)

Squid

January 31, 2021 at 4:05 pm

Nice, it’s on! Last year was a bit of a rebuild for the Squids, this season look out ;)

The Chosen Won

January 31, 2021 at 7:59 pm

Keen As!

Good Luck 2021™®©

The milkmen’s big call

January 30, 2021 at 4:11 am

Paddy Ryder will struggle to get over his injury that hampered him last round last year. Therefore will either be managed or call time on his career early this season allowing Roman Marshall to take the honours in the ruck this year averaging over 100. Currently F2 in my team.

Legends!!

January 30, 2021 at 1:13 pm

Big call i like marshall has a fwd

Luke Parker

January 30, 2021 at 7:08 pm

Currently F1, just can’t trust Dunkely and the dogs, Sidey too expensive and Danger has a injury issue. Like Marshall though.

Legends!!

January 30, 2021 at 1:12 pm

First time post. Any feedback will be great cheers legends! And i will try and get to yours.

Backs: whitfield, laird, Docherty, williams, milera, robertson
    Em. Gould bianco

Mids: taranto, sloane, rowell, cunnington, hately, phillips, Powell, valante
    Em. Kemp, collier dawkins

Rucks: grundy, preuss
    Em. Meek

Fwds: dunkley, phillips, bolton, ladhams, franklin, hunt
    Em. Rowe, worrell,

Utl, robertson.

35k remaining

Thoughts cheers legends!

Luke Parker

January 30, 2021 at 7:49 pm

Nice team, few unique options (Hunt, Ladhams, Bolton etc). Midfield seems a little weak without a genuine big gun in there but everyone there is definitely value though unsure whether Sloane at M2 is strong enough. Valente is unlikely to be named R1, same with Powell but it’s only preseason so obviously the community series and scratch matches will dictate that. Standard rucks which is awesome. Hunt definitely unique in the forwards and if he gets his half back role back he could be decent, would personally look elsewhere from Ladhams given he needs about 50-60% ruck time to score well. Personally can’t trust Dunkley given the dogs midfield but there’s no doubting the potential. Potentially some rookie who’ll miss selection but decent team overall.

Legends!!

January 30, 2021 at 9:38 pm

Thankyou for your time. Luke Parker yeah hunt i am hoping he has his half back role and he is a great pod. Glad you could see why he is in my team

Constantgin

January 30, 2021 at 8:23 pm

My first team – 27k left over

Def – Lloyd, Zac Williams, Milera, Harmes, Hayden Young, Lachie Young
    Mid – Tom Mitchell, Taranto, Walsh, Serong, Rory Sloane, Rowell, Hatley, W. Phillips
    Ruck – Grundy, Preuss
    Fwd – Marshall, Stephenson, Jeremy Cameron, Buddy, JUH, Will Kelly

All bench spots filled with 170k place holders.

January 31, 2021 at 5:44 pm

Good mids leave you a bit exposed in DEF and FWD with Milera M3 and Stephenson F2. You should be able to punt Hately for rookies who will score 60 and use the 300 K to upgrade one on each of those lines. Harmes to Scrimshaw or Doedee or Day and Stephenson to Phillips or Heeney. I assume if Hately even goes 80 you would make up more than 20 with upgrades.

Ron Burgundy and the channel 2 news team

January 30, 2021 at 8:33 pm

Love the harmes pick, let’s hope he can get back to his 2019 form and return to the midfield , keep an eye on his role if he becomes a tagger again. So much role changes , I like Stephenson too playing further up the ground to the wing even stints in the midfield too. Keep an eye on zeibell too, awkward price but moving to defence would be value for him. Let’s hope Jeremy Cameron can be the next Riewoldt , I got him too so underpriced for what he can do. I do like your team. I’m not keen on Franklin this year it’s risky and gives away a lot of free kicks too out of frustration and keep an eye on Schoenberg too as a possible replacement if needed. I do like your team , money spread everywhere. Good luck

Luke Parker

January 30, 2021 at 9:48 pm

Still feel people are overhyping Cameron, definitely value but unlikely he goes high enough to be F3 personally. Buddy is just so cheap and the main worry is injury not giving away free kicks. Given the 110k price gap think Buddy’s worth it over Cameron, or have both…

Balla

January 31, 2021 at 1:00 am

Alright guys, it’s my first time (this year), be gentle.

DEF: Laird, Short, Williams, Harmes, Cumming, H.Young (Gould, Bianco)
    MID: Oliver, Walsh, Taranto, Serong, Rowell, W.Phillips, Powell, Valente (Collier-Dawkins, Kemp)
    RUC: Gawn, Preuss (who knows lol)
    FWD: Zorko, Phillips, Rozee, Caldwell, Cockatoo, Rowe (Kelly, Worrell, Robertson)

$$$: 14k

Yes, I support Melbourne. No, I won’t do the smart thing and switch Gawn out for Grundy.

January 31, 2021 at 5:39 pm

Okay side- Defence- you are looking for value- so I am not sure about Harmes, Cumming and having Young at M6 means you probably have overspent elsewhere. Even Short is maxed out I think.

I like the mid mix, but I a not optimistic about rookies from 2020 draft playing multiple rounds early- even Phillips and Powell, we might need to pay up for rookies or mature age players. This means going for 3 out of Sloane, Cunnington, Hately, Caldwell and Rowell.

FWD- I am doubtful on Zorko maintaining average or Rozee lifting his high enough, but he is a legitimate POD. Good side- watch CBA’s in the community series and see if any players are injured which might affect your side.

Bozo

January 31, 2021 at 4:04 am

Some of these teams are steamers

Snags

January 31, 2021 at 12:09 pm

Hey lads, I know traditionally it’s better to keep the DPP in the fwd line but there is too much value in the fwd rookies compared to other lines, factoring in that Danger, Zorko and Dunkley will all be top 6 fwds I can focus on upgrading the fwd rookies to mid guns as the season progresses… thoughts?

Laird, Docherty, Williams, H.Young, L.Young, C.Idun – (Gould,McLennan)

Gaff, Dangerfield, Zorko, Dunkley, Taranto, Rowel, Phillips, Powell – (Valente,Collier-Dawkins)

ROB, Preuss (Flynn)

Marshall, Heeney, Phillips, Flanders, Cockatoo,Robertson ( Bergman Kelly)

Utility-Mead

Squid

January 31, 2021 at 4:20 pm

I like your thinking but wouldn’t be going all in like this, I’ll be focused on midfield value myself but if I were to run your strategy it would only be with 1 mid spot taken by a DPP gun and run a DPP rook too. Bit of a POD team overall too which is always good to see, just hope you have some money in the bank or some other plan in case all those 170k rooks don’t come through. Personally I have my placeholders valued around the 200k mark so I don’t have to majorly compromise my team right before 1st lockout just to get 30 playing.

Snags

January 31, 2021 at 6:30 pm

Thanks squid, exactly $0 remaining in the bank. Might have to go back to the drawing board, could swap out Doc for Milera to free up cash but then the backline is too weak. Fingers crossed that there’s some cheap debutant rookies round 1

Squid

January 31, 2021 at 7:29 pm

I’d look at ditching danger who is not 100% apparently to a value mid in the sloane to hately range, theres 3-4 decent options in there, then you’ll have 200-300k to get your team right once we have a better idea on r1 teams. I’ll have everything crossed that we get some surprise cheap rooks and I’m sure there will be a couple but I think it will be pretty slim pickings.

20. Aluniesheis

January 31, 2021 at 5:31 pm

What are people’s thoughts

Howe
    Prestia
    Hately

or Scrimshaw
    Sloane
    Cerra/Serong

bomberpap

January 31, 2021 at 6:34 pm

Option 1 is probably high risk high reward.. especially with Howe returning from injury and Prestia being prone. Both have potential for a fast start and would have low ownership.

Not so sure about Scrimshaw at his price, but I prefer option 2 because I really like the Sloane & Cerra/Serong combo. Currently have Sloane and Serong but Cerra could be a real POD.

I know Scrimshaw finished the season well, but still priced at 73 and competing with Greaves and Day… does he have that 10-15 point upside?

Squid

January 31, 2021 at 7:42 pm

I’m with BP but like all your mid options really. Howe is a worry coming back from an ACL given the way he plays, will probably take him a bit to get his confidence back to fly, might be a good post bye upgrade if he gets through well. Scrimshaw can play but don’t see any hawks being more than low to mid 80s players with the way they play, they don’t seem to have that one designated quarterback so is unlikely to be a keeper or make enough coin to be a viable stepping stone at that price.

February 1, 2021 at 8:22 am

Good advice lads- Cheers- Scrimshaw has very little certainty. I had Greaves last year and it worked amazingly well. Someone in Hawthorn’s backline has to score 85 and the viable options seem to be Scrimshaw, Day or Greaves. Price point for Scrimshaw is a concern as it is with all at 70-75.

Any recommendations at a similar price point. I can think of Milera and Doedee from ADL. Then you are down to McEvoy if he is RUCK or even Harmes if his mid role somehow materialises. Then you get even lower to just hope, like J. Clark, L. Ash and I. Cumming.

February 1, 2021 at 12:14 pm

What about

Caldwell (80) and J. Cameron (80) (assuming fitness) is 160

v

Franklin (75) and Heeney (85) is 160

or Caldwell and Franklin and save cash

bomberpap

February 1, 2021 at 1:53 pm

One more to add to above is Oleg Markov. I currently have him D4 behind Milera at D3. Should get plenty of opportunity at the Suns.

I’m totally off Heeney with the injury news today, also got burned by him in 2019. Caldwell and Franklin is my pick. Though I get the feeling that Caldwell might be a little overhyped and you’re still paying $500k for him. Cameron and Franklin are both in my team for what it’s worth… high ceiling if they go bang to get a jump on ranking.

bomberpap

February 1, 2021 at 1:50 pm

Yeah I think Scrimshaw would need to be a guaranteed 85+ to make it worth your while paying that much for him. I’d definitely favour Milera over him, and don’t like Doedee with Talia potentially missing to begin.. he might need to play lockdown.

At that D3/D4 range Milera, McEvoy and Harmes are the best 3 in that price range, although all 3 are very role dependent. Like McEvoy as Preuss insurance too, if you’re not going with Marshall.

Squid

February 1, 2021 at 7:48 pm

Agree again, especially if Big boy is back in the ruck (where he belongs) and given he is now captain he WILL be getting a spot in my backline. Also agree per above Caldwell seems pretty overhyped and is more a watch list at that price however Markov I reckon will be as fringe 22 at GC as he was at the mighty tiges and if he gets a game will not be a go to guy, there is a crazy amount of emerging talent at the suns.

Dave

February 1, 2021 at 10:33 am

DEF: Stewart, Crisp, Docherty, Milera, Smith, Gould
    MID: Adams, Steele, Walsh, Taranto, Rowell, Phillips, Powell, Valente
    RUC: Grundy, Preuss
    FWD: Danger, Zorko, Phillips, Caldwell, Robertson, Kelly

Rookies just place holders really

Squid

February 1, 2021 at 7:55 pm

Pretty standard, safe and solid, this is not a bad thing! If r1 throws up rookie issues Danger turns into Buddy/Cameron and you have cash to fill the gaps.

Luke Parker

February 1, 2021 at 12:08 pm

Thoughts on Jayden Hunt as a mid-priced forward option in the Buddy esc price bracket if he’s out R1??

February 1, 2021 at 12:20 pm

Hunt is an outside player who I doubt can get to 65-70 to make him worthwhile. Rather take a punt on Schoenberg getting to 70 or Paddy Dow if he gets a game.

The trouble is, if they fail, how do you sell them. And if you are right, then pull the trigger in Week 2 and hopefully downgrade an underperformer. You don’t lose a lot waiting for the evidence first.

February 1, 2021 at 12:50 pm

Laird | Doch | Z.Williams | Milera | Young

Who is of liking as a 6th defender to add to this mix, any price?

Intelsonic

February 1, 2021 at 1:35 pm

Im backing I’n harmes to return to ~85 with the return to the guts

February 1, 2021 at 2:24 pm

Yes, interesting. I think there is too much uncertainty over this one for my liking.

If it is a midfield role will it be a tag?

Does he start in the middle over one of Oliver, Petracca, Brayshaw or Viney (if fit) or does he push up from a high half forward as the 5th midfielder?

Mad Fish

February 1, 2021 at 2:29 pm

Would love thoughts on this team?

DEF: McDonald, Williams, Harmes, Milera, Idun, Gould, (Thompson, Bianco)
    MID: Adams, Titch, Laird, Taranto, Rowell, Cunnington, Phillips, Powell, (Valente, RCD)
    RUCK: O’Brien, Preuss, (Fullarton)
    FWD: Dunkley, Marshall, Phillips, Buddy, Perkins, Cockatoo, (Robertson, Bergman)
    UTILITY: Durdin
    $41k remaining

Obviously most rookies are placeholders until season starts.

25. Aluniesheis

February 1, 2021 at 3:41 pm

Good variety- I can’t be sold on Harmes until I see him in the midfield again. Mitchell is a worry and whether it limits his tackling. Franklin, Perkins and Cockatoo I think will struggle to be all fit and score high enough.

Saff

February 1, 2021 at 3:46 pm

Thoughts:
    B: Whitfield, Z Williams, W Milera, H Young, I Cumming, L Young, (Bianco, Gould)

M: Z Merrett (c), A Gaff (vc), T Taranto, L Shuey, M Rowell, B Cunnington, W Phillips, B Campbell (Rantall, RCD)

R: R Marshall, Preuss (M Flynn)

F: Sidebottom, D Martin, T Phillips., H Shoenberg, Cockatoo., Bergman (Fullarton, W Kelly)

U: J Mead

27. Aluniesheis

February 1, 2021 at 3:53 pm

Let me know of any mids you would wan to include. I am thinking that I will only choose from this crop. I have placed score projection and what I am looking for in the preseason.

Hately 80 needs to be attending more CBA’s than Schoenberg
    Sloane 90 midfield time no interrupted preseason
    McCluggage 100 if Zorko and Berry spend more time forward and he is in Mid
    Walsh 105 if mid time not affected by Williams
    Adams 114 looking to have 1 of Adams, Merrett, Oliver or Treloar (likely VC loops)
    Merrett 115 as above
    Serong 90 TOG mixed with CBA
    Cerra 88 TOG and CBA- meaning not playing off Half Back- hopefully a role Young has
    Rowell 95 Fit and plays preseason
    Mitchell 110 needs to play preseason and see him tackle
    Oliver 114 like Adams
    Brayshaw 100 if either of Viney, Oliver or Petracca are long term injured in preseason
    Cunnington 90 fit and tackling in preseason game
    Prestia 97 uninterrupted preseason
    Florent 87 looking for which Swans third midfielder (after Kennedy and Parker) lifts
    Rowbottom 85 as above
    Treloar 110 like Adams
    Taranto 100 Fit and playing midfield and not Fwd, especially if Coniglio goes FWD

only players above Hately considered- who else and why should be in and why

February 1, 2021 at 4:58 pm

Simpkin I have as a POD.

Very good preseason, 2km (1st) and stronger.
      There has been talk of flexibility in their midfielders being able to go forward, but Simpkin should be solely mid.

February 1, 2021 at 5:02 pm

Simpkin is a good POD. I wonder what his ceiling is? Do you think he can go above 90. 88 adjusted at 676 and now just MID and not FWD is what scares me off. And he plays for North.

February 1, 2021 at 5:15 pm

– A couple of injuries for memory last year impacted his average and then price for this year

– Had quite a few FA, which impacted upon his score

– New coach, brand new and different game plan

I think he can do three figures or at least get close.

February 1, 2021 at 5:32 pm

Definite POD choice. To go 100 I think he’ll need to increase TOG above 77, which he might be ready to do. He needs to muscle past Cunnington, Dumont, Anderson, LDU- which is possible- if like in 2020 one of them gets injured than Simpkin comes right into the frame. He does seem best suited to MID and so not as likely to slide FWD or DEF. Good choice!

February 1, 2021 at 6:32 pm

He won’t play FWD or DEF, he will be solely midfield.

Also won the 2km as I said, which was an improvement from the year before so greater endurance should definitely help his TOG numbers.

February 1, 2021 at 7:35 pm

Yep, legit option- greater tank might mean he goes over 80% TOG and maybe presses the 100. Worth a watch in preseason to see if he slides FWD in any rotations. Guys who lose FWD status to MID status only, someone should do a spreadsheet of what happens to their averages the following year.

I normally right them off, but maybe there is value

bomberpap

February 1, 2021 at 5:37 pm

Great list, I’d add MCrouch to the ‘pick one of’ group alongside Adams, Merrett, Oliver and Treloar. Has huge PPM and could push his TOG up without Brad.

Jed Anderson tops the whole AFL with 2020 PPM… hard to predict what a fit Cunnington does to him, but if he can increase his TOG he’s gotta be in that conversation too.

February 1, 2021 at 5:42 pm

Cheers- very keen on crouch. Just concerned about his hip injury. If he plays preseason and looks good than that changes everything. Surely can’t have a Classic side with Crouch, Sloane and Hately. 2 of them have to go. Swans R2 means a tag and he hasn’t scored well against Sydney. I suspect the value for either Sloane or Hately will drive many away from Crouch.

February 1, 2021 at 5:45 pm

So true, maybe Cunnington and Anderson can double up by tackling the same bloke a lot. Anderson had a massive year in 2020. Follow Selby’s advice, ignore guns coming off a record year who are already over 100. There must be value somewhere else

Squid

February 1, 2021 at 8:37 pm

So many others I’d have depending on structure, McRae, Gaff, Fyfe, Kelly (gws), Yeo, Heppeltitus, etc, etc, etc. Options aplenty between Hately and Neale all with pros and cons.
      From those you have I reckon Hately and sloane get at least your predicted, as do most others actually, however I couldn’t trust Brayshaw, gun when played in position but for some reason doesn’t get played in the guts very often, McCluggage is a pure wingman, arguably best in the comp, and wont play from inside the square, Serong huge risk of 2nd year blues, Florent just disapoints (fantasywise) year in year out and Titch will go 120+ if fit, he is like Dane Swan’s, Tom Rockliff’s and Miss Piggy’s lovechild from some bizarre experimental radioactive 3 way, absolute freak. My pick even pre hype from those mentioned is Prestia, I’m a tiges supporter but been on Prestia since GC days as a guy who can go 110+ if he can get a decent run at it without injuries and 2021 may finally be his year.

February 1, 2021 at 9:16 pm

Cheers- always plenty to choose from. Which bulldog is the problem- do you see value in Fyfe, Kelly, Macrae and Gaff. They seemed pretty maxed. Macrae has upside if his role suits, but not sure it will consistently. Fyfe, injuries and role. Kelly is injury prone also. Yeo has groin soreness and Heppell is not fit yet.

I think you start with a list of 20 per or so per line before preseason and you slowly eliminate some and elevate others- I may end up with something like Oliver, Walsh, Taranto, Sloane, Rowell, Cunnington plus 2 Rooks.

28. Aluniesheis

February 1, 2021 at 4:08 pm

For those interested, here is some of my early thoughts on defenders. Love to hear others to include and why.

Laird 100 just needs to be playing, mid would be better
    Doedee 85 can’t be second tall – if he is than Milera is better
    Milera 80 Fit and off half back with Doedee playing second tall
    Sholl 75 Love him because he basically helped me win last year, but if on a wing he is some value
    Williams 88 Midfield time and limited exposure to half-back- i,e. Docherty is fit
    Howe 95 fit and not playing second tall
    Ryan 95 same as Howe- can’t be playing lock down
    H. Young 70 half-back and plays preseason
    J. Clark 70 looks like is going to play half back for more than 2 weeks- has to play role preseason
    Whitfield 107 plays of half back and wing and does kick ins
    Idun 55 has a role as third tall
    Cumming 65 plays half back as 4th defender
    Ash 70 either/or with Cumming and which def is playing interceptor
    Greaves 75 someone from Hawthorn has to score
    Day 85 like Greaves, but Greaves does receive the kick in which helps him score
    Scrimshaw 85 only if he is not second tall- better if McEvoy in Def
    Harmes 75 by some miracle he ends up in the midfield during the preseason and Viney out
    Perez 65 if no rookies and he plays off half back
    L.Young 65 like Perez
    Houston 95 if he lines up as the quarterback at stoppages
    Witherden 92 if Duggan plays mid because Yeo is out
    Duggan 90 plays wing with Sheed filling in for Yeo

Adonis

February 1, 2021 at 4:34 pm

Laird is the #1 defender this year, locking it in now

February 1, 2021 at 4:46 pm

I suspect Laird will end up around 3 to 5 depending on DPP’s during the year. But Whitfield and Lloyd will probably score higher than Laird. It is about who you can start with within the salary cap

February 1, 2021 at 4:52 pm

I have Laird D1.
          There’s plenty of value in the defence this year sub 700k

February 1, 2021 at 4:59 pm

I think DEF is where we might find the most security with sub 700 K. MID and FWD are lower than 700K often because they are injury prone. Problem, sub 700 K DEF have less upside. Most will by the end of the year still be below 80 average.

February 1, 2021 at 5:09 pm

Some are fairly underpriced on what they have done previously or could do in a different role.

i.e. Howe, Docherty & Williams to name just three.

February 1, 2021 at 5:25 pm

Cheers, I had Howe and Williams above. I had Docherty most of the year until his injury. I want to see him play first, same with Howe I think. But if they both play preseason than that changes everything.

Any other role changes- If Ridley is under-done who scores in DEF at Essendon?

bomberpap

February 1, 2021 at 5:46 pm

Ridley scores very well as the third tall if both Hooker and Hurley play down back. Also would be a great POD given he still has some improving to do but most would disregard.

Think Tom Stewart of last year.

February 1, 2021 at 5:59 pm

Love Ridley- I am worried about his interrupted preseason. 89 avg is a solid chunk and if he scores well early he won’t go up by a massive amount. You could easily switch from a similar player after one week if needed. It was a tad frightening to see him do a few lock down roles for a quarter or two in the final few weeks, hopefully not a sign of any future.

February 1, 2021 at 5:46 pm

Full QTRs should be of great benefit to Doch.

February 1, 2021 at 6:01 pm

Very true, you assume rotations and full quarters will suit defenders who are organizers and interceptors. I think DEF will like always have high TOG and that won’t change.

February 1, 2021 at 5:06 pm

I don’t see L Young as this walk up starter as some are touting hence his favourable ownership.

Tarrant | McKay | Corr | Walker | McDonald | Ziebell | Atley | Hayden | Menadue | Perez
      Are 10 alternatives for best 22 selection.

February 1, 2021 at 5:22 pm

Totally agree, even if he plays can he outscore a rookie. North defenders below 500 K are normally kryptonite. i think Perez has prospects, but he needs to score 65 plus to warrant selection- think Brander and Starcevich. After 3 weeks of about rookie prices you want to get rid of them but you have no cash generation to do so.

February 1, 2021 at 5:29 pm

Yes Perez has a great skillset but he has only played 3 games so far.

65+ would be very impressive from a “rookie”.

February 1, 2021 at 5:38 pm

Very true- I don’t think I will go with him. He scored 66 in one game and he was coming off an ACL at the start of his draft year. I think rookie priced 2019 draftees and 2020 mature ages might end up being on ground due to them at least being in the system or more mature. But he might score similar to a Gould, Idun or a Wehr at less a price. I think Perez is one of the better sub 300 K players not in MID.

bomberpap

February 1, 2021 at 5:44 pm

Can’t sleep on Doch. With Kade Simpson out that’s another 25 possessions each week to go round… and if Marchbank gets back he could be released to roam around and do what he likes. Some opposition attention but should still outperform his price tag.

Also like Oleg Markov going to the Suns. If he nabs the wing role he can rack it up as a link player, and only marginally more expensive than Hayden Young.

February 1, 2021 at 5:56 pm

Markov is interesting. The only thing which frightens me is that C graders have generally done nothing at the Suns, but that might be ready to change. Is he like Greenwood and Harbrow of yesteryear or Murdoch, C. Ellis, A. Miles and Horlin-Smith. Markov might be in a race with Atkins. Markov might play Half Back. He is a wait and see, I think his ceiling is only around 70 so he won’t go up a lot early even if he scores 80.

Docherty was also tagged in a few games late last year, I remember yelling at the screen. But a fit Docherty is a lock. Just want to see it first. The hope is the price of a missed good player won’t change a lot in a week. You could wait and see Doch and get on if he looks superfit. But I suspect the preseason game should give us the answer.

Squid

February 1, 2021 at 9:06 pm

McDonald, lock n load. After years of potential gone wasted something clicked last year and he became the gun he was always meant to be, if he plays like I saw last year he will go 100+ easy, did it all and was everywhere.

29. Aluniesheis

February 1, 2021 at 4:57 pm

Here is my crack at FWD, same as DEF and MID info above. Score I am hoping and what I am looking out for in the preseason.
    Schoenberg 70 Higher CBA than Hately or at least close
    Bailey 83 playing half-back. Birchall is the second highest Lion at 66 behind Rich at 85. Someone has to score
    Daniher 73 Fit and moving outside 50 in preseason
    Fogarty 77 Some midfield time or wing in preseason (very doubtful)
    Dow 60 needs to be best 22 and play maybe half back, but doubtful
    Sidebottom 110 midfield time- but probably upgrade
    Caldwell 75 plays earmarked mid time in preseason
    Dangerfield 100 plays preseason
    Cameron 80 play preseason and is obviously over hamstring
    Greene 90 fit and GWS looks like winning games- like Taranto, can go missing in loses
    Hogan 75 fit and moving outside 50
    Phillips 88 wing role full time
    Stephenson 76 good tough game in preseason
    Ladhams 85 if Lycett injured
    Rozee 80 if he benefits from mid and wing role created by Fantasia
    Marshall 98 esp if Ryder not playing
    Heeney 88 plays preseason
    Franklin 75 as above
    L.Ryan 80 high half forward and into wing
    Dunkley 105 if Martin and English play preseason and named in Round 1 and attended 50% CBA in presason.

Let us know of other players worth considering.

February 1, 2021 at 5:11 pm

The Schoenberg debate is an interesting one and the touted rotation with Hatley.

I was under the impression that Hately would have been exclusively a midfielder upon his trade to the Crows.

Squid

February 1, 2021 at 9:10 pm

2 words, Neck Tatt. Brownlow #2 coming up this year.

30. Aluniesheis

February 1, 2021 at 5:19 pm

I suspect it comes back to a price point comparison also. Schoenberg as FWD is 116 K cheaper and might not play a significantly different role to Hately and therefore their potential scoring might be similar. Schoenberg at 70 is better than Hately at 75 due to price and FWD status.

But CBA’s in preseason will yield lots of data. I think Hately needs to score 80 plus to represent comparative value, not just against Schoenberg but similar priced DEF and FWD ( like Cameron, Milera, Harmes). I’ll go Hately if he stays MID in preseason and Schoenberg stays FWD.

bomberpap

February 1, 2021 at 5:52 pm

I feel like Hately will be used more on the wing given his huge tank. He didn’t get a single CBA last year, so could float up and down similar to how West Coast use Gaff. I’d also want to see around 80+ from him, otherwise his spot is going to Cunnington for me.

To add to the list: Zorko and Shai Bolton. Zorko has a down patch every year, but if he starts hot he’s no danger of a tag with Neale coming off a Brownlow year. Also hits the scoreboard. Bolton improved a lot last year but scored well mainly with Edwards and Prestia out of the hub. If he is used at CBAs during the pre-season he could be a great POD too.

February 1, 2021 at 6:26 pm

I would be locking Cunnington in.

The only knock I have is how much time he spends as a key forward because his preseason has been immense.

February 1, 2021 at 7:29 pm

Bolton is interesting. 81 avg worries me that his main increase was 2020. Playing for RICH is a worry. He might go 85, but not sure it’s enough for me to start with him. Zorko I hope moves more to FWD which allows Berry and MCluggage more mid time. Zorko is an upgrade for me.

Hately never was a CBA attender at GWS. Adelaide wings will be intriguing with Smith, Milera, Sholl, Mackay and Seedsman. It looks like a wing role and half fwd with a transition to CBA. It would be tough to go from zero CBA’s to 50 % especially with Sloane, Crouch, Laird, Keays. Even so, Hately should still avg minimum 75.

rossco1

February 1, 2021 at 8:12 pm

I can see Bolton starting the season well, maybe going at 95 for the first month but that will drop off quickly after that. an 86-88 average overall is likely for him, but still not the worst early season pick.

February 1, 2021 at 8:17 pm

Hately is very intriguing.

You would have thought given Crows’ ladder position last year that he would naturally be ahead of some of the older campaigners for the midfield minutes.

February 1, 2021 at 8:32 pm

I think you are right. My fear is that it might take time, considering his midfield work at GWS was on a wing and half fwd. They might start with Sloane, Crouch, Keays and Laird with Hately rotating through wing, FWD and getting used to midfield through stoppages rather than CBA’s.