Podcast

Dust off the Fantasy team, footy’s back – Ep. 345

PODCAST: The Traders reconvene for their weekly podcast as we head towards the June 11 restart.

With Gillon’s words last Friday, Roy, Calvin and Warnie were pumped to get back in the studio and start talking Fantasy with a purpose. Footy will return on June 11 and we could not be more excited. Warnie runs through the things Fantasy coaches need to know ahead of round two as the lads map out what we should be thinking with our trades and other quirks in this ‘Coronaball’ season. Included is a song written by Ben Latham (@BeafortBeaus on Twitter) to help you understand how to understand Fantasy scoring with 16-minute quarters.

Click here to download.

Episode guide

3:00 – The best news Fantasy coaches received was that we are looking at normal rounds with Thursday-Sunday games.

7:15 – Travis Auld’s comments on the fixture are analysed.

11:30 – RIP to Magoos News with no reserves competition.

15:00 – 16-minute quarters are likely.

18:15 – Roy, Calvin and Warnie perform their take on AC/DC’s “TNT” with “BCV”.

22:00 – How many trades will we have ahead of round two.

27:20 – Player and injury news over the last couple of months.

32:10 – Callan Ward and Zac Williams being back could hurt round two chances for Tom Green and Isaac Cumming.

35:20 – Questions from social media – follow @AFLFantasy on Twitter and like the Official AFL Fantasy facebook page.

39:25 – Which junk time specialists do we need to be aware of with ‘Coronaball’?

45:40 – Should we target players on the pre-season watchlist who smashed it in round one, or players returning from injury that we would have picked if available in round one?

48:20 – Do you fix premiums or rookies with your three trades?

Click here to buy a Fantasy Pig t-shirt

BCV Lyrics

Oink, oink, oink, oink, oink…

Verse

Coronavirus has been conquered,
And the season’s back in June.
The rules will be impacted,
Fantasy ain’t immune.

Quarters are still shortened,
From twenty to sixteen.
But do not fret, don’t delete your team,
Here’s what it means.

Chorus

BCV,
One point two five.
BCV,
Just multiply.

BCV,
80 is a ton.
BCV,
Just do the sums.

Verse

Prices go up, match the prices that drop,
Total cash stays still.
Old breakevens have been chopped,
They were overkill.

So lock up the premos, throw away the key,
Lock up the ruck pig and listen closely.
This formula is best in town,
Don’t you mess around.

Chorus

Find the podcast

Marcus

May 19, 2020 at 12:27 pm

Seeing we will not be looking at any of the Magoo’s news can we have an article about BE’s just for the next 16 rounds?

thebopper58

May 20, 2020 at 2:07 am

Marcus

Footywire have the round 1 BE’s and will continue to update throughtout the season (i assume)
      On this site Fantasy Freako Rave provides comments and BE’s
      It’s an excellent source and Warnie posts it

Marcus

May 20, 2020 at 10:28 am

Thanks thebopper58, I found that last night and was going to wright on here that I found the BE’s but once again thankyou

Tobias

May 19, 2020 at 12:30 pm

Hey Warnie, not entirely sure how much power you have with the powers that be….but I can’t see why an unlimited trade scenario has seemingly been ruled out. There is no need to wipe teams and people would wear their current rank and price changes but there is massive potential for loss of casual fans and hardcore fans of fantasy alike for this season. There was a season in the past where rd2 had unlimited trades and I know it isn’t the optimum situation but in these extraordinary circumstances I cannot see how you maintain engagement after eating say 4 doughnuts in rd2. Just feel there is so much going on in the world that letting people revive their fantasy teams would be to the benefit of all in the fantasy community. Still going to be an uphill battle fixing one’s rank with only 16 rounds to go….

thebopper58

May 20, 2020 at 1:45 am

Tobias

I asked the same question (as did The Chosen One) in the article AFL (and Fantasy) returns June 11
      Warnie replied “it ain’t going to happen”
      Yes there was a season but it started with a split round and he said it didn’t work
      In his twitter feed Warnie says we might get 3 trades for the rounds 2/3/4/5
      The horse would’ve bolted for many by round 2!!!!!!
      Maybe a common ground is allowing people to trade out their doughnuts?????
      I’m probably looking at 6 non playing players with other players returning
      Cummings with Zac Williams
      Green with Taranto/Ward
      Tyler Brown with Treloar
      Cavarra with Lipinski
      BZT with Ambrose/Hooker
      Fort with Stanley (maybe a toss up??)
      Hope my bench can cover some?????

Good luck

Tobias

May 20, 2020 at 12:33 pm

I understand the want to maintain the ‘integrity’ of the competition, especially as there are rewards etc but at the end of the day fantasy is an entertainment platform. Seemingly, they would want to allow for the greatest number of people to play and I just don’t see how having 3 trades for the next few weeks helps anyone at all. Maybe instead of making it unlimited trades in rd2 you could have a wildcard situation (Like EPL Fantasy) which could be used at any point by a team to allow unlimited trades for one round. This would allow for people to fix their teams prior to rd2 but also allow for those who have started well to stay put and utilise this feature at a later date, However, I do acknowledge this may require programming which is difficult/impossible and of course we are on a free platform so we can’t complain.

I guess it is difficult because the guys do so much for the community, all for the love of the game and cop abuse left right and centre for no reason but this is something I just can’t wrap my head around – can’t see any of my leagues being fun when half of the guys have dropped out.

Just my two cents :)

Warnie

May 20, 2020 at 5:42 pm

There are people in so many different camps on this one that there will be no pleasing everyone, or even a majority.

In cases like this, I think it’s important to be conservative.

Having unlimited trades is not conservative. This changes so much about the game… which does include back end and development as well as the terms and conditions for the competition side of things.

I was, and still am, pretty keen on 5 trades. That felt right for me a few days after the shutdown was in place and throughout many of the ideas rolling around about how the season would continue (ie. games throughout the week, double game weeks, etc).

As it has moved towards a pretty normal set up – ie. normal Thurs-Sun rounds, etc. – I have changed my thinking slightly. The state of the rest of the season, coupled with cost of development for bigger changes around some other ideas (wildcards, just trading donuts – which I don’t understand how that would work – as well as simplicity of functionality as we have use them or lose them trades each week) has me thinking the idea floated on Twitter a good middle ground option.

For those that missed it, it would see the 3 trades for round 2 remain, but possibly have an extra one for each of rounds 3/4/5.

Idea being that mass changes cant be made… ie. chase the ‘best’ or ‘must have’ players (not getting in the argument of whether this is right or wrong here – haha), or copy what has been done by players like Selby, Harmey, etc who have started well making some of their picks less unique.

We can spread that out over 3-4 rounds.

As for team changes, it will mostly be rookies. I would be very surprised if coaches are unable to field 22 players using their three trades. We went into the season knowing a few things – such as there would be a likely break in the season… and likely to be early on (hey – it was lucky that round one went ahead), players would return, some rookies only last a week anyway.

For some names floated around:

– Cumming – well, Williams was pretty close to be playing round one anyway
      – Green was always going to be fringe and Ward would have been back in round 4/5
      – Brown should hold his spot, but again, Treloar was probably back the next week
      – Cavarra was always fringe
      – BZT was never a lock for Essendon’s 22 for the season (even round one), but could still hold
      – Stanley was fit, so if you’re worried about Fort, you should have been when you picked him!

On the flipside, some rookie priced players may come under consideration for round 2… eg. Hayden Young, Izak Rankine, Harley Bennell. As well as some other bargains like Ward (who we would have picked in round 1 if fit).

While I still think 5 trades could have been a good solution, if there was cost for development for an already lower than usual number of coaches (the uncertainty leading into round one saw numbers take a massive hit, which is a shame and guts us massively because we had our best pre-season ever based on listens/views, etc of our AFL.com.au content), it may not be worth it. The spreading out of the ‘bonus’ trades over a couple of weeks will limit the ‘leveling of the playing field’ in one big hit.

Anyway – I think a lot about what is best for the game. But I suppose I look across a lot of factors and take in a variety of information to form my thinking and decision making (not that I have a say in this, I offer up my takes – and listen a lot).

This sucks, but we have to do what we can! Middle ground may not please everyone, but it is the logical way to go. Everyone will be in the same boat!!

Tobias

May 20, 2020 at 6:19 pm

Hey Warnie, really appreciate you taking the time to give such a detailed reply. I do understand your thinking regarding spreading the trades out better now.

To have 5 trades for round 2, to fix rookies etc seems perfect as it will make people pick between fixing say Cavarra or getting rid of Brodie Smith to jump on Viney (Just assume DPP action hahaha). I guess only having three trades will limit cash flow early in the season, especially if rookies are dropped. Personally I would prefer a 5-2-2 system of trades than a 3-3-3 but I guess it does even out over the few weeks.

I just know a fair few players who wouldn’t be massively keen on having an extra trade for three weeks when they cop zeros in rd2.

It does seem unlikely that AFL coaches will make large-scale changes to their teams for rd2 but it feels like a bit of a cop out saying in hindsight re Green, Cummins etc. Green could’ve easily played 2-3 rounds and gone up enough to go to a rookie who missed the first few weeks. As could’ve Cummins to say Hayden Young.

Overall I understand that there is a lot of hard work that goes on behind the scenes and I know that you are all trying your best. It is a shame that all this uncertainty has ruined your pre-season work and half of the footy season. Regardless, thanks for the reply and all the work you do for fantasy nuffies such as myself ;)

thebopper58

May 20, 2020 at 11:53 pm

Warnie

I like Tobias appreciate the in depth reply but take great offense to your scathing attack on my picks
        Everyone of the celebrity sides like the Warne Dawgs had Cumming/Green
        Top me Up Buttercup had Fort
        Only 8 of the ten sides listed on this site had Cavarra (most on the bench)
        At the time there were very few rookies and secondly when selecting a side no one knew that there’d be a two month break between the next game with the chance of returning injured players
        The game has changed drastically from round one so should the fantasy game change
        Everyone is in the same boat but let’s hope 5 will be the magic number
        Thanks for all your great work throughout the lengthy wait for round 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Chosen Won

May 21, 2020 at 6:49 am

Its a No from me!

Good Luck in 2021

Warnie

May 21, 2020 at 7:59 am

At least you’ll feel like you’ve got a legitimate excuse to give up after talking a big game rather than your usual “give up because your team sucks” like most years…

The Chosen Won

May 21, 2020 at 9:24 am

Just imagine i paid $19.95 to be bullied online by the the AFL’s fantasy representative.

Good Luck in 2021

Warnie

May 21, 2020 at 12:27 pm

You call your constant bullying and harassment (and general annoying behaviour here) “banter”…

Grow up, Greggy.

The Chosen Won

May 24, 2020 at 9:39 am

Looking forward to it Col

Good Luck Mate

llizardofoz

May 20, 2020 at 7:14 am

In any given year there are 120k + entrants. Of these there are people with multiple teams and those who lose interest very quickly [you can see this by the number of ghost ships in leagues]. So in reality there may be as few as 80’ooo teams.This year many wont return to the game possibly dropping active teams to 40k.
    In theory this should make winning the car easier but in reality the die hards will still be there; a place in the top 100 will still be near impossible.

Marcus

May 20, 2020 at 10:32 am

Whats everyones thoughts on bringing in H Bennell if he is named as he hasn’t played for a while.

Euman

May 21, 2020 at 10:28 am

I don’t think 3 trades is enough. I think 5 minimum like NRL SC. My reasons are 1. With so many senior players back a plethora of rookies selected will not play and in some cases your entire structure is doomed. 2. A lot of players were selected with bye rounds in mind which is now superfluous.

It’s really point 1 that hurts I could name 5 rookies in my team who may not play. This was always the case but I was looking at getting 6 games out of most before senior returns would squeeze them out, but also hoped form over that time may have saved them and squeezed out a fringe player instead.

Thought?

CJ

May 21, 2020 at 9:01 pm

I absolutely agree! I would’ve made very different decisions based on byes, injuries etc. There’s no way half of those rookies will be playing and I had to do a restructure initially once Ward wasn’t playing round 1… now he’s back for round 2. We definitely need more than 3 trades.

Warnie

May 22, 2020 at 6:55 am

Let the record be shown that we knew that there were no bye rounds in the week leading up to the first lockout.

As for rookies, there is always risk.

The Tom Green one was there, despite most thinking he’d be a lock until Ward came back. Jackson Hately was an emergency for the Giants. However, I do agree that we usually get a couple of games out of these guys at a minimum – it is rare that a debutant is dropped (especially a young on) after a round one game debut. Who knows, it may still be the case?

FYI – These trades should be viewed as rookie fix ups. I believe everyone who fielded a team with a loaded bench (as per any advice given) will be fielding 22 players after 3 trades. If you’re dumping a Whitfield, for example, based off his round one score, then you can’t be asking for more/unlimited trades!

thebopper58

May 22, 2020 at 2:25 pm

Warnie

As this contentious issue of number trades continues thoughts on the following
    Originally over the normal season we’d receive 47 trades – 44 over the 22 rounds (including finals) and an extra trade over the three rounds of byes
    With the reduced format approaching we’d receive only 32 trades over the remaining 144 games/16 rounds
    I don’t know much about programming but wondering if Champion Data computer thinks each person side was to receive the 47 trades why not receive that amount?
    That would be an additional 15 trades maybe broken down as such
    Round 2 (5trades) like Supercoach is going to announce
    Round 3 – (3 trades)
    Round 4 – (3 trades)
    Total of 11 trades
    An additional 2 trades for the DPP announcements so round 6/12 – 4 trades
    When i went to school (many years ago) that adds to 15 trades plus our 32 for the new season would give us all the original allocated 47 trades (in a normal season)

Confusing????? This site gives us all the chance to throw around thoughts/ideas!!!!!

Warnie

May 22, 2020 at 8:19 pm

I really like the thinking! And that’s exactly what the site is for; throwing up ideas!

Without sounding negative (it is more of the devils advocate in me… and from what I have learned over the time), I’m pretty confident that the idea of the 3 trades has some basis around (a) the functionality of the game (ie. already built into the system, won’t require a spend to have it implemented) and also (b) the legal stuff, ie. the Terms and Conditions which have 2 and 3 trades embedded in them (having to get a rewrite and legals around that is costly as well).

On a personal level, I don’t think we need to be trying to make it up to 47 trades. We have a pretty well embedded ‘two trades, use them or lose them’ philosophy in place. And while I appreciate that it is a different year, I think this can stay. So maybe no need for the extra DPP trades.

We don’t have to have a ‘completed team’ – this is actually exciting for me!

As I’ve mentioned before, the 5 trades ahead of round 2 and 2 from there on is my preferred model, but due to some of those factors stated, the three is a good chance to stay with the extra trades spread out. Integrity of the game is super-important (as is retaining coaches, which believe it or not, is my No.1 priority).

Sadly there was already a drop in coaches for round one this year – the uncertainty around the season really hit the usual last week spike in registrations (this was seen across other things such as tipping) – and therefore there is a chance that any potential spend on game development may not get the love from the big dogs. It sucks, but that’s the reality of this footy season, not just this Fantasy footy season. I’m hoping the game isn’t impacted too much for the long term – there’s some exciting things being put in place for 2021! Fingers crossed they’re still on the table as they’re game changers for the product!

Brad

May 23, 2020 at 4:10 pm

Why not have say 35-40 trades left for the year, and you can use them whenever? If you want to use 10 straight up, then you’re going to be left short later but maybe that’s the risk you take