Deck of Dream Team

Ed Curnow – Deck of DT 2020

Check out Curnow’s numbers under Teague.

• Ben

Name: Ed Curnow
Team: Carlton
Position: MID
Price: $667,000
Bye round: 13
2019 average: 89.9
2019 games played: 22
Predicted average: 105
Draft range: Round 9

Click here for 2020 Fantasy prices.

Why should I pick him?

Let me throw some numbers at you.

Ed Curnow averaged 99.9 after David Teague took over as coach from Round 12 onwards, which is 106.6 when the CALculator removes the injury-affected 39 in Round 13. But don’t worry if you’re not a fan of Calvin’s number massaging techniques – Curnow averaged 105.0 after the bye without any games sneakily taken out. He’s about 15 points under-priced with these figures, saving you $110,000 to fix up the rest of the ground.

The scoring boost happened when Curnow bought a first-class ticket on the Teague Train and was thrown into the midfield where he belongs. Carlton started winning for once so there’s a high chance the formula will be repeated and he’ll stay in the guts in 2020. Match sims are dubious predictors at best, but it was Cripps, Walsh and Curnow who attended the first centre bounce at Carlton’s pre-season training.

It’s also worth noting that Curnow is no stranger to beast scores either. Before the bye in 2018, he averaged 116 with a high score of 160. He even sat in Roy’s Rolling 22 for seven straight weeks! He was chucked out of position up forward and it took 12 months and a coach change for him to be played back in the midfield.

Why shouldn’t I pick him?

Ed Curnow had FWD status in 2019 and would’ve been a lock if he’d kept it. Instead he’s a MID only in 2020 and has to compete against top talent like Dunkley and Macrae, and excellent value like Mitchell and Ward.

Is averaging 105 enough?

And is 15 points enough value?

Inconsistency also might stop you from picking Curnow. His highest season average is only 101.8, and he’s played all 22 games just two times in his career.

Age could be a factor too. He’s 30-years-old already and Teague might decide to play some more youngsters through the middle towards the end of the season if the Blues are out of finals contention, which is definitely on the cards.

Deck of DT Rating.

KING

I’m undecided.

Ed Curnow should be a lock considering he’s priced at 89.9 with a 105 average looming, but he’s never cemented himself as a reliable fantasy option by churning out big scores across an entire season.

He’s only owned by 0.6% of coaches at the moment and could be an ultra-unique point of difference, but that only exacerbates the risk because it’ll be extremely lonely if he flops.

He’s sitting in my team at the moment, but let’s wait and see.

What will Ed Curnow average in 2020?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

FOLLOW US  ON TWITTER: @BeaufortBeaus for all things AFL Fantasy (and more). Got something to say about the deck? Use the hashtag… #DeckofDT.

Ben

Ben's a Swannies supporter whose love and knowledge of AFL fantasy far exceeds his skill. Is a third year breakout on the cards? Follow on Twitter: @BeaufortBeaus.

Kirk Mackintosh

February 6, 2020 at 8:56 am

I had him in that 2018 season in a few draft leagues and he did amazing was a vary solid late pick up however don’t think I can do it in classic

Ic3

February 6, 2020 at 9:29 am

If he was a fwd yes, mid no thanks

Alan

February 6, 2020 at 9:37 am

I cannot believe how optimistic people are. Curnow has never averaged 105 in his whole career.( a season is 22 games long) I am not saying he won’t or can’t but I am not prepared to take the chance on a 30 year old doing something he has never done before. I see no value here. At best if he manages to do what is speculated (105) he would be a solid pick.

The Chosen Won

February 6, 2020 at 9:47 am

He has gone 100 and 101 in the past therefore there is a good chance with the right role under Teages he could just go the 105 and become a great POD..

Good Luck in 2020™®©

PK

February 6, 2020 at 10:15 am

I took a chance on a 30 year old at the start of last season who had never averaged a ton in his career and travis boak rewarded me greatly. Just sayin..

PK

February 6, 2020 at 10:05 am

This is what the deck of dt is (or should be) about. Making you consider options you wouldnt have prior to preseason games. If he goes back to back tons with a pure midfield role in the marsh cup, watch everyone jump on the band wagon.

Cheers Ben ?

Alan

February 6, 2020 at 11:43 am

I have had Ed in classic before because he is dependable and at his best will average over 100 I am just saying it is optimistic to think he will do something he has never done before. In Boaks case he was given a clear role change, however with Ed, Teague merely put him back into the role he has played the majority of his career, as an inside mid. Ed has also been scoring back to back 100’s regularly as a pure inside mid since 2015 so some back to backs in the Marsh series really won’t be anything new.

Vicwood

February 6, 2020 at 10:27 am

Rating KING very generous.

Kjaks

February 6, 2020 at 4:20 pm

I am split between walsh and curnow i think both could go 105

Razza

February 6, 2020 at 4:26 pm

Good article… I have Curnow in my squad and have been keeping him quiet. I hope he stays as POD even after Marsh cup. High risk, high reward.

Razza

February 6, 2020 at 4:30 pm

Good article.. I’ve been keeping Curnow quiet so he can remain POD and hope he stays that way even after Marsh.

Marcus

February 6, 2020 at 7:27 pm

Will Jack Martin arrival at the Blues affect Curnow’s Score?

Dale (@dpc888)

February 6, 2020 at 7:44 pm

In the past Curnow has been a mid, but has generally had a tagging or run-with job. He still scored really well doing it. When Teague came in, he wasn’t tagging anymore. Just playing mid. Different role I think. I think he averages 95-100 and I am unsure at this point.

pendles4brownlow

February 7, 2020 at 4:41 pm

Cripps will dominate early. Once he capitulates due to carrying the whole of the Carlton footy club on his shoulders (again), there will be plenty of points available for Curnow.

He is in competition against the likes of Titch, Gibbs, Ward, Hanners in that price range and, realistically, we can only fit a couple of them in at the most. Curnow is a lower priority.

McScoundel

February 8, 2020 at 4:11 am

Has anyone seen how gassed this kent gets??? fml