Deck of Dream Team

Cam O’Shea – Deck of DT 2017

Cam O’Shea was all alone as the only guy picked in the pre-season draft. With Docherty down, what does this mean for O’Shea and more importantly should we be seriously looking at him for our team?

Name: Cam O’Shea
Team: Carlton
Position: Def
AFL Fantasy: $231,000
Bye Round: 12
2016 Average: 46
2016 Games Played: 13
Predicted Average: 50
Draft Range: Deep.  Real Deep
Note that O’Shea did not play in the AFL during 2017 and was playing in the VFL for the Northern Blues

Click here for DT Live profile.

Why should I pick him?

O’Shea was picked up by the Blues in the pre-season draft (he was the only selection). Cam was recruited for a reason, a backup defender. With Docherty going down for the season, O’Shea’s chances of getting a game have dramatically escalated. Whilst he didn’t play in the AFL last season, he did average 22.5 touches per game in the VFL for the Northern Blues last year to go with 2.94 tackles per game. Let’s face it, he isn’t going to be a keeper and he isn’t going to be a star, but what he will do is make us some money.

His price is that of a high draft pick. But the difference is that he has experience. He did average in the 70’s in both 2013 and 2014. He can score well, and if he can get some games early in the season he should rise in value quickly. He is priced at a score of about 33, so assuming he can score around 60 his first couple of rises should be good.

Image result for cam o'shea carlton

Why shouldn’t I pick him?

He was delisted by the Power at the end of the 2016 season and had to fight his way back on to a list via the VFL last season. If Docherty is fit and healthy, it would have been difficult for him to get a game. The last two seasons in the AFL he didn’t have massive scores, averaging only 58 and 46. If he only reaches that mark of 46, his price rises will be short lived.

So even if he does get a game he isn’t going to be a big scorer. Whilst most of us would have him on the bench as a cash cow, his price isn’t all that low and hence the amount that we can make from him is limited when we compare it to a true blue rookie at basement price.

Deck of DT Rating.

9 of Clubs – O’Shea is not likely to be a superstar for Fantasy players this season, but what he can hopefully do is get a few early games and sit on your defensive bench and make me some quick money. Think of him as a mature age rookie, someone that should have an immediate impact on your bank balance. At this stage he will be on my bench pending his form in the JLT, the emergence of any true rookie priced defenders and also him being selected in round 1.

As for the Draft game, forget him, look elsewhere. He will be a plug and play waiver pick up for you during the byes at best.

Will Cam O'Shea be in Carlton's round one team?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER: @pkd73 for all thing AFL Fantasy (and more). Got something to say about the deck? Use the hashtag… #DeckofDT.

Hawk

January 28, 2018 at 8:06 am

Personally if I put o’shea In my team, after round one I will be saying o’shit…… pass

Geezer

January 28, 2018 at 8:12 am

I really love these deck of DT articles but honestly the only one I’ve locked in from this group so far is menegola. I believe he is under valued , defenetly 115 + with aging Geelong midfielders resting forward.

Kingzy

January 28, 2018 at 8:38 am

So in other words if doedee, Murray and Mirra are all named round 1 you wouldn’t be putting o’shea In?
    Definitely some valuable info there, I was expecting a 60-70 but 50 is quite low for the price tag. Good article.

I’d love to see an article in McGrath if anyone can?
    Cheers!

Dunny

January 28, 2018 at 9:45 am

HI Kingzy,
      I am not sure on Doedee to be honest, will be interesting to see if he does get a game, I think he will, but just no clues on how he will score.
      Before I looked deeper into O’Shea I thought his scoring was better, but those last two years of low averages do worry me a bit.
      My backline rookies are all over the place at the moment, I just don’t have enough visibility on exactly who will be playing and who wont and if they do play, how good they will be.
      Cheers

Kingzy

January 28, 2018 at 10:07 am

Hey Dunny,
        I think doedee will play I read some articles saying he was next in line, they took him as a high draft pick so he must be valuable to them. But yea scoring is hard to say, you would be happy with 50 for that price.
        It’s like that, none really stand out. Coffield and o’brien seem to be doing well, but expensive.
        Iam backing in Mitch hibberd at d5, but d6 is sill open.
        Where’s jeppa when you need him lol

Ned kelly

January 28, 2018 at 12:04 pm

Teia miles zach guthrie and jack scrimshaw do ya like any of these blokes kingzy for d6

Kingzy

January 28, 2018 at 12:23 pm

I like Zach Guthrie, had him in the team for a bit. I read he is part of the backline makeup this year so should have decent job security.
            Not sure about miles tho last year he was fringe wasn’t he?
            I don’t know scrimshaw who is that?

Ned kelly

January 28, 2018 at 12:33 pm

Top ten draft pick last year, gold coast 230 odd should play this year up there at the shit farm

FevsBingles

January 28, 2018 at 1:06 pm

HAHA! Shit Farm.

Gabe

January 28, 2018 at 9:04 am

How do you feel about the similarly priced mitch hibberd? Also, how can you afford to put players with 230k+ price tag on your bench?

Kingzy

January 28, 2018 at 9:26 am

Shhhh about Hibberd

Dunny

January 28, 2018 at 9:47 am

I know Gabe, i don’t like players of that price on the bench, but if they are going to be a guaranteed starter then they may end up in D5 or D6. It is a bit hard to call at the moment before we see a bit of pre-season form. My main concern with O’Shea on the field is that he could pull out a 25 one week then a 55 the next.

Kirk Mackintosh

January 28, 2018 at 9:35 am

Don’t they also have Byrne and Mullet

David C

January 29, 2018 at 8:00 am

Yep, Oshea is 3rd in line according to Carlton supporters.

Goat

January 28, 2018 at 10:22 am

My thoughts exactly Kirk. Great article Dunny, but I’m worried about others being ahead of him. Jones, Weitering, plowman, Marchbank, Simpson, Byrne, then fringe options O’brien, Mullett, Thomas among others. I don’t see him getting consistent games let alone named at all at this stage.

Ryan

January 28, 2018 at 11:52 am

With Aaron Mullett coming in to Carlton it is going to be hard for him to find a spot in that defense unless he shows a lot through pre season

everard

January 29, 2018 at 9:14 am

i went with austin over oshea

Hawk

January 29, 2018 at 9:19 am

Austin won’t average above 50

everard

January 29, 2018 at 9:44 am

im using the money else where. and i am a port fan i know amount of tog austin had and opportunity

Dovaas

February 3, 2018 at 6:18 pm

I think people forget he had a two season period at mid seventies all be injuries and a half a season but there has in the pat been something there and now a second chance which many don’t get may be the visor to fight for his possession and now Doc out he should be in the 70-80 range at worst