The Friday Scramble

The Friday Scramble: Round 11

Another partial lockout version of the Scramble… oh and we’re into the bye rounds.

We promised you they were coming and now they are here.  The byes!  So, you now get your first proper look at what your round 11 side will look like and what you need to do.  We will have a look at some of the strategies you may want to employ shortly as well as some other rookie and trading discussions.  But first…. This week we had another loop hole game, so let’s see how we all went.

Loopholin v2.

Last night was the second of our run of Thursday night games which means we can loophole.  This week the concept of loopholing is a lot easier.  Reason being that you will have some players on byes that you can captain and you probably won’t have much bench cover which you need to worry about getting the E on the right person.

So who did we VC last night?

Pig #3  Titchell         118 points.  Calvin did tell us to take anything over 115 and as per the tweet from Pearcy below, A pig in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Robbie Gray               38 points.
A stinker from Robbie this week.  yuck!
Brad Ebert                142 points.
Well done if you VC’d him in his 200th game.  He had a ripper including 12 tackles.
Charlie Dixon           128 points.  No trouble with the timeclock this week for Charlie as he slotted 4 goals (should have been 5, the other one was a sitter).  But take that if you VC’d him.

If you listened to the Traders Podcast from Monday then you would have heard Calvin suggest that the line this week is 115, down from our regular line of 125.  This is mostly because our options are limited because of the bye rounds.  If you didn’t VC the right guy or want more points, then check out Calvin’s Captains from Wednesday and pick one from there.

Bench Loopholing isn’t as much of an option given we are hard up for bench players, but if you did have enough and did it with either Cousins or Willsmore with their 62’s, then take them to the bank.

Bye Strategy

So this is the first week of our byes and we have three trades in every format of the game.  Now there will be a sudden urge to use all these trades.  Now whilst that isn’t the worst thing (hell I encourage it in AF), you need to work through how you are going to do this.

Option 1.  Triple Downgrade.  If you don’t have much cash in the bank you may want to do some downgrading to build yourself up a Warnechest so that you can go to the giftshop after round 11 and stock up.  Just remember that if you downgrade to a rookie this week (that isn’t a Sun or Power player) they will still miss a game at some stage during the next three weeks.

One type of rookie that I would be looking to move on this week is one that isn’t playing at all this week, like a Mitchell Hibberd or Brett Eddy.  Now they haven’t really made us any money (or any in some cases) but they aren’t playing at all.  So bringing in someone that is going to play two of the next three weeks is a bonus for you.  It does burn a trade, but really, these guys are dead wood.  You should be looking to bring someone in that you think is going to play regularly for the rest of the year as you can then move them to your bench and they can be your bench cover.

Option 2. Keep Upgrading.  You may want to just keep on doing your downgrades and upgrades.  This is fine, but you just need to keep an eye on your bye structure to make sure you aren’t compromising yourself.  If you are going to do this, have your structures set for the next three weeks.  The one thing that you can do with this is look at upgrading to other players on their R11 bye.  You aren’t going to lose anything if you are upgrading a rookie like Marchbank or Barrett who is already on a bye this week anyway.  This means that you know you will have them for the following two weeks.  But the other option is that you could go to a R12 bye player as you probably already have heaps of players that week anyway.

This is a question that often gets raised around this time of the season.  Now the answer is different depending on the game you are playing of course.  In AFL Fantasy this isn’t as risky and it can be done given you have two (or three) trades per week.  In SC and RDT it is a not something I would like to do.  The reason being your trades are valuable and you can’t afford to use them like this.  On top of that there is always the risk of other things happening and you not being able to afford to get your chosen player back into your side or there could be a few other injuries that you need to deal with.  So if you want to play this card you need to tread with care.

Don’t just trade for the now.

Now just because it is the bye period and we have to get enough players on the field, this doesn’t mean you should compromise your team structure.  Don’t go trading in players that you aren’t happy carrying through to the end of the season.  There are a lot of people that are looking at players like Pittard and Hall this week just because they have already had their bye.  Unless these are players that you have always planned on bringing in at this time of year, then you may want to just pause before hitting that trade button.  Once you hit it then you might just regret it later on.

How many trades should I have left?

In the limited trade forms of the game this is often a question we get.  Once we get through the byes you should be looking to have enough trades left so that you can deal with most of the issues you are likely to face in the coming weeks to the end of the season.  I like to get through the byes with a ‘completed’ team and about 7 or 8 trades left as a minimum.

Selection Table

For a change it was a fairly quiet night at the selection table.  We did see Geelong youngster Cunico miss out this week omitted as Cockatoo comes back into the side.  Interesting to see Bews out, it says Ankle, but my sources tell me he is still hanging on to Robbie Gray from last week and followed him all the way to Adelaide (just joking people).  Great to see Ablett back, that would help all of his owners who got him in for the byes.  But we also see young Sun Scheer miss out.  Not sure many were considering him, but I know his name has been thrown around a little bit.  Big names back for the Eagles with Lecras, Shuey and Mackenzie all returning.

Warnie must have said something to Woosha this week because his boy Stanton is back.  But the bad news at the Bombers is that Parish is out with a calf.  It says to be confirmed on the injury list, you may want to trade him out as his BE is 71 RDT and 67 AF and his average is only 79.

Dan Butler returns for the Tigers to fill in for those that held him.  Interestingly Shai Bolton held his spot and it was Todd Elton that was omitted.  This should see Bolton traded in to quite a few teams today I think.

Much of the interest though is around the last game of the round with Sandi back to rescue a lot of teams, but importantly the Dockers have named Luke Ryan in their side and we have been waiting for him.  Jeppa likes him and reckons he should be good, so definitely consider him if he survives the cut late today.  He is named last on the extended interchange, so don’t get your hopes up too high.  On the Collingwood side of that game, an ugly name has reared its head again and that is Mason Cox.  As if having Archie Smith hurt Stef’s score last week wasn’t bad enough.  Enough with this Yank Bucks, just let Grundy do his thing solo.

Things To Remember

• SC and RDT Trades are sticky.  You can’t reverse trades in those forms of the game today, so be careful!
  • Don’t just trade for the now.  Particularly in the limited trade forms of the game.
  • Think about the next three weeks with every trade you make.  Have a plan for multiple scenarios.
  • Particularly take notice of R13 when trading this week, as that could be just as ugly as round 11.

Best of luck this round everyone, we all know it will be a tough one, so just make sure you can get 18 players on the field and go from there!  This is often a way that you can jump up the rankings quickly as not everyone will be as prepared as you are.  Catch you all next week in the not so tough R12 bye.  Cheers  @pkd73.

SHOP NOW: Tom Mitchell beanie | Tom Rockliff beanie

1. demons1964

June 2, 2017 at 6:40 am

at the moment i’m looking at having 2 doughnuts for round 13, but I don’t want to trade out any of my round 13 premo’s (zerrett, titch, sloane, kelly, adams, laird, grundy)…would you trade one of them out to prevent the doughnut or take the hit and think of long term structure?

• David C

June 2, 2017 at 8:48 am

I wouldn’t be trading out anybody that you want in your final team. Take the donut.

• Stooge

June 2, 2017 at 9:31 am

IMO this depends entirely on whether you just want to win your league or if you are trying for a high overall ranking. If its league wins, take the donut for a stronger overall team. If its overall you want, avoid the donut, even if you trade one strong premo out and then back in later.

Will

June 2, 2017 at 10:24 am

i agree about trading out premos, but i am trading out lloyd this round. he’s been an awesome punt since round 1, but his BE means i’ll probably be able to swap out otten for him for very little cash in rd 13.
        I’m shorting jake lloyd lol

2. brian

June 2, 2017 at 6:42 am

what do you think of Jamie Elliot? looking to make some cash from downgrading dahlhaus…

any better option for a downgrade?

3. Chris

June 2, 2017 at 6:54 am

Scharenberg v Ryan and 95k??

• David C

June 2, 2017 at 8:50 am

I’m taking Ryan if he makes the cut tonight else its Scharenberg.

4. Jason

June 2, 2017 at 7:36 am

Is it worth trading Josh Kennedy (West Coast) in DT and SC ? Or would you recommend holding him until he is back ?

5. Adam

June 2, 2017 at 7:41 am

Everyone taking Titch’s score as VC? Tempted to take a punt on Danger

• Jason

June 2, 2017 at 7:44 am

Im considering taking Danger . Titch only scored 118 , you would think Danger could beat that if not get very close to it .

• Maggie

June 2, 2017 at 9:08 am

Tempted, also, to take a punt on Danger.

• M8

June 2, 2017 at 9:12 am

I’m taking a punt on danger

Will

June 2, 2017 at 9:59 am

even if danger gets a 130, thats only 12 extra points… not really worth the gamble in my opinion

• Liam

June 2, 2017 at 11:05 am

Well 12 points more = 24 with captain!!

• Diesel

June 2, 2017 at 11:20 am

Not if you already have Danger.
            118 + 130 = 248
            118 + 118 = 236

• Jadstar

June 2, 2017 at 4:29 pm

Just think about that for a minute there guys
            Liam you are correct.
            130+130=260
            118+118=236
            A difference of 24 with C!!!

Will

June 2, 2017 at 1:21 pm

sweet mother of god liam

• frank

1) Balic, Pickett, Black – Cousins, Ryan, and Scharenberg

OR

2) Balic, Marchbank, Black – Cousins, Ryan, and Ablett

8. Euman

Euman

June 2, 2017 at 8:57 am

Wow he said he likes to get through bye rounds with completed team and 7-8 trades left wow I’m so far behind – obviously he did not have any injuries or any rookies get dropped after one game well done

• Dunny

June 2, 2017 at 1:13 pm

I have had some issues. That is where I like to be. Not sure if I will get there this yr though. Won’t be far off. After byes I want to have at least 6 trades for injuries through to end of season

9. Dan

June 2, 2017 at 9:04 am

Yeo (field 19) or Ablett/Hall (field 18)

• bomberpap

June 2, 2017 at 9:40 am

Yeo and 19 for sure. He’s having a great season.

• Dan

June 2, 2017 at 10:31 am

So is ablett tho…he’s averaging 117

• MrBarrelroll

June 2, 2017 at 12:16 pm

Ablett/Hall have already had there bye

10. M8

June 2, 2017 at 9:11 am

My Team:
    DEF: Adams, Docherty, Laird, Marchbank, Otten, Williamson (Stewart, Vickers-Willis)
    MID: Mitchell, Merrett, Dangerfield, Hannebery, Hall, Fyfe, Powell-Pepper, Myers (Lloyd, Mountford)
    RUCK: Martin, Grundy (Preuss, Cameron)
    FWD: Macrae, Dahlhaus, Steele, Nankervis, Heeney, Hoskin-Elliot (Greenwood, Polson)

Cash: $127k

Already gone Mountford to Cousins with $119k left. I could go Vickers-Willis to Ryan and Williamson to Tuohy, leaving with me with little cash to get Rocky next week. But does help bye structure as I only have 17 playing at the moment this week. Could also go Vickers-Willis to Ryan and Williamson to Scharenberg which doesn’t help bye structure as i’m heavy on round 13 bye players. I also have Preuss who can free up some cash sometime. With new DPP’s coming in next week there could be better options then Touhy in the backline as well. Thoughts cheers lads.

11. nkthegunner12

June 2, 2017 at 9:54 am

Should I get a premo like Dusty or Jelwood, or chase value in Scott Selwood?

Will

June 2, 2017 at 10:14 am

proven premo. scooter has one great season to his name, and unfortunately the consensus is that he wont lay 17 tackles every week. His 27 BE however is defintiely do able, so maybe worth getting in as long as you dont forsee any injury issues/forced trades in the future?

• lol

June 2, 2017 at 3:14 pm

if only i had the ability to forsee injuries and forced trades lol

Will

June 2, 2017 at 3:50 pm

yeah guess i was being a bit sarcastic there – youre running the risk of being stuck with him if his scores suddenly plummet ala WHE

12. TJ

June 2, 2017 at 10:05 am

Will Myers score above 62???

Will

June 2, 2017 at 10:17 am

who knows? hard to be picky with playing rookies over the bye rounds though ay

• the Cricket

June 2, 2017 at 12:36 pm

Myers isn’t a rookie – he’s a banned & injured player returning after almost 2 seasons out of the game.

Will

June 2, 2017 at 1:23 pm

OK THEN ROOKIE PRICED PLAYER ffs. He’s just there as a cash cow – the same strategy applies as if he were an actual rookie.

13. Andy

June 2, 2017 at 10:29 am

Get Sloane, Pendles or Duncan??

14. Alex

June 2, 2017 at 10:47 am

Ebert VC woop! Take that 142

Trades – cousins already in for bows

OUT: Preuss, Black
    IN: Pierce, Barlow
    Cash: 121k

My plan is to get rid of J Lloyd, Hampton and WHE this weekend and bring in Docherty, Robbo and a Rook. Lloyd will drop to about 450/460 in next couple weeks so by then I can downgrade Newman who’ll be more $$ and get Lloyd back in cheap, leaving myself a top 6 D.

Anyone think this strategy worth it or any other recommendation?

15. Mick

June 2, 2017 at 11:04 am

RDT what does everyone think???
    Parker, S.Reid and Pickett for Hall, S.Selwood and Bolton…

16. Liam

June 2, 2017 at 11:04 am

Danger or Adams as captain??

17. marcus

June 2, 2017 at 11:21 am

I’ll be taking Danger, but if you think Calvin is on the money by saying anything over 115 is good this week and you have VC on Titch then keep that. But I’ll definitely be going Danger. Players like playing against there old sides as they like to prove how good they are, plus seeing Adelaide is on top of the ladder Geelong will want there best players playing well.

Just have a look at his scores at Geelong.

18. marcus

June 2, 2017 at 11:39 am

Why are people bringing in Scooter now when next week Geelong have a BYE.

If it was me I would of brought Polec in last night as I was thinking of doing that but to be honest I brought in Hall as he is going to have a good score this weekend then next week I might bring in Polec but I do need to improve my Backline and Forwardline.

Last week I brought in Ryder and put him on the bench as he has R/F status and when Richmond have there BYE I can use Ryder.

All the BYE games I will have at least 18 players, so hopefully after the BYE’S I’ll be ranked well.

If you smart you would of used the Port V GCS game to your advantage.

• Ticonderous

June 2, 2017 at 12:17 pm

I know what you are saying Marcus.. i got Scooter in last week for the bargain price of 402k … he will be traded out next week after hopefully making me a lazy 80k plus

• Billy

June 2, 2017 at 1:20 pm

I’m gonna have 21 guys playing next week even if I trade out guys who are playing, so Scooter’s bye isn’t important.

What is however, is that he is the best priced option under 450k and he has a BE of under 30.
      Sure I could grab Barlow over him for an extra 100k, but I see Scooter in R11+13 being better value than Barlow in R11-13 and the difference between the 18th and 19th player next week probably won’t be any more than 20 points, which saving 100k for to get Rocky/Hanners/Roberton is a no brainer.

• Ictopol

June 2, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Most teams have an abundance of players for round 12. Trading in Scooter for a R11 or R13 bye player can really improve a team’s bye structure.

19. Daniel

June 2, 2017 at 12:12 pm

Assuming Luke Ryan plays I’m rocking with 21 on field after trades.

Pruess is my biggest headache.

Currently my trades are McInnes to Jack Leslie, Black to Greenwood, and Pruess to Vardy.

I like the look of Vardy to get the extra green dot for R11 and 13, (currently have Jacobs, Martin, Pruess and D. Cameron.) but I feel like I’m wasting a trade.

I’m vacillating between rocking with 20 players and downgrading Pruess to Buzza and banking $239k for the Rocky splash next week, or sticking with the Vardy comfort factor.

If I go Buzza, trading out Atkins, Roughy and Otten out will give me enough to go Rocky, Jake Lloyd and a R11 rookie.

• LW

June 2, 2017 at 3:58 pm

Do you have Nank? I’m replacing Preuss with him and then bringing in a rookie in fwd or mid

• Daniel

June 2, 2017 at 4:31 pm

If I did have Nank it would be problem solved!

Had him fwd earlier, couldn’t get around a donut without ditching him when he got suspended, never had a reason to bring him back. Doh.

I’m leaning to the Buzza move. Picking up Rocky and Lloyd off their bye will make the icing on the Buzza donut pretty sweet.

20. beezneez

June 2, 2017 at 12:33 pm

Good work Dunny.

• Dunny

June 2, 2017 at 1:14 pm

Cheers mate

21. FreoFanatic93

June 2, 2017 at 12:51 pm

michael barlow or elliot yeo and cop his donut next week?

• Swanny

June 2, 2017 at 1:42 pm

If you can cover Yeo next week then do it.. if it means a doughnut go Barlow

22. Luke j

June 2, 2017 at 1:01 pm

Any rookies that people think will get a run towards the end of the year such as Nathan freeman? Thers a few good players running around in the sanfl for the crows but will they be able to get a few games with the way the crows are going? Heard Wylee buzza could get a run at the cats soon

23. anth80

June 2, 2017 at 2:18 pm

Hold Titchs 118 or go Zerrett?

• PowerAde

June 2, 2017 at 3:16 pm

A bird in the hand as they say

24. BenS

June 2, 2017 at 2:31 pm

Hey guys.

Balic > Gaz + 40k

Balic > Hall + 100k

Or go all out and Balic > Ryan + 470k

Only issue with Ryan as it further stacks my round 13 byes

• BenS

June 2, 2017 at 2:32 pm

Or Fyfe out to either Gaz or Hall

25. Matthew Woods

June 2, 2017 at 2:43 pm

hey guys im definitely doing these 2 trades
    Mountford-Cousins
    Williamson-Ryan if named/Scharenberg if not named

now for last trade the uncertainty around stef im thinking of sacrifice him to Witts which leaves me 455k to upgrade WHE/Otten/Fyfe next week. is that worth it? or better to upgrade fisher-Scooter which leaves 144k for next week.

• CapnOblivious

June 2, 2017 at 3:41 pm

If you’re gonna get rid of Stef, now or next week (when you know if Smith is playing as well) is the time to do it whilst he’s still worth alot. I’m keeping him though and trading out topped out cash cows and failed mid pricers around him only because I hope he’ll be rucking alone later in the year (something similar happened last year).

• Matthew Woods

June 2, 2017 at 3:59 pm

just the cash im thinking about 140k to 455k and be able to go 3 upgrades ill be better off long term in my opinion and getting Rockliff back asap my best best of doing it is by culling stef.

• CapnOblivious

June 2, 2017 at 4:45 pm

If it’s your best option to get cash for upgrades there’s a good chance it can pay off, especially if Smith is in for a while (I’m hoping he isn’t). I guess there’s no high value rookies you can trade down to like a Greenwood or maybe Lloyd? (you already have Cousins and are getting a Ryan if he makes the cut). Anyway, there’s a good bit of upside in what you’re doing, best of luck.

26. Stuart

Stuart

June 2, 2017 at 2:46 pm

Went Myers>Cousins (bit early I know), Hampton>Ryan & Hardwick>Barlow.

If Ryan plays I’ll have 19.

27. Lewie-14

June 2, 2017 at 3:05 pm

Thoughts on Barlow, will he be top 6 fwd come seasons end ?

• PowerAde

June 2, 2017 at 3:14 pm

I had the choice of Barlow and Gray this week and went Gray. very typical of my season so far.

yes, Barlow is/was and will be the right choice. just ask me who I’m trading in and go the opposite for success.

• CapnOblivious

June 2, 2017 at 3:30 pm

He should be thereabouts depending on DPP additions. He’s averaging 98 without his injury affected 44 and apart from Yeo, there’s no real stand out fwds this year.

28. nkthegunner12

June 2, 2017 at 3:20 pm

I can get Hoskin-Elliot to a premo like Dusty, or I can sideways to Scooter to save money for next week, thoughts?

• Matthew Woods

June 2, 2017 at 3:26 pm

take scooter for the value thoughts on my scenario above??

29. Nick

June 2, 2017 at 3:24 pm

Schaz or Ryan (assuming he’s named)?
    I have 17 this week (limited formats), was content but now thinking I can win this week if I had the 18th player on field…

• Matthew Woods

June 2, 2017 at 3:28 pm

ryan for his price but definitely schaz for job security but that 90k can be used elsewhere.

30. Lewie-14

June 2, 2017 at 3:49 pm

Anyone else having issues with fantasy site ? It is not letting me reverse trades ?

• Matthew Woods

June 2, 2017 at 4:11 pm

did u have anyone from last night match?? if so u obviously cant reverse those players

• Lewie-14

June 2, 2017 at 5:01 pm

Sorry I didn’t clarify, yes obviously I can’t reverse players already played, I meant the teams I’m playing around with now weren’t reversing. All good though, was just a glitch so I can reverse now

31. Dave

June 2, 2017 at 5:03 pm

Double good news, Luke Ryan named in final side and Mason Cox named as emergency not in final side!

32. Loz

June 2, 2017 at 5:22 pm

Black to Ryan via Otten forward – $109k made

Or

Hibberd to Ryan – no cash made

(Have 92K in kitty before trade)

• Stevo

June 2, 2017 at 5:53 pm

seeing as both aren’t playing trade black

33. Chief007

June 2, 2017 at 6:03 pm

Shaw, docherty, Laird, adams, Marchback, otten ( newman, williamson)

Dangerfield, T. Mitchell, Fyfe, Merrett,, Hannebery, Steele, Barrett, myers(Balic , mountford)

Grundy, Sandilands (Cameron, Preuss)

Dahlhaus, heeney , Roughead,Nankervis, jack Sinclair, Walters (polson, greenwood)

Am thinking fyfe to scooter, then Williamson to Ryan that would leave me with 232k
    Should trade Sinclair to a fwd or mid or something else.

Not worried about the byes all leagues I’m in have em off

Cheers in advance