Cash Cows

Jeppa’s Juniors – Round 10

The bye rounds are here and rookie advice from the best in the business is a must. Jeppa has all you need to know ahead of a round full of strategic trading.

Many of us are pretty keen for some cheap rooks. Traditional bye round trading involves banking some cash this coming lockout to maximise your upgrade options in Round 12 like the ‘No. 1 pig’ Tom Rockliff! Whoever you trade in, you need to be 100% certain that they’ll be getting a game over the next few weeks and thankfully there are a few ‘juniors’ putting their hand up.

Seriously guys, look to make plenty of cash this week!

Those That Matter

Freo paid no respect to Andy Otten (Def/Fwd. $395,000, 54 be AF. Def. $377,300, 36 be DT) and he took full advantage. A stat line of 11 kicks, 6 handballs, 8 marks, 4 tackles, 4 snags and 107 Fantasy points was unexpected but owners will take it! It’s an obvious hold till Round 13 but don’t have him any longer than that. Fellow Crow Hugh Greenwood (Mid/Fwd. $213,000, -5 be AF. $125,300, -78 be DT) couldn’t cash in on the Adelaide onslaught but 55 Fantasy points is still respectable. I really like the fact that Greenwood can tackle and tackle well. He’s still got plenty to give in my opinion so back him in.

Upgraded from the rookie list, James Cousins (Mid. $167,000, 2 be AF. $109,300 DT) gave his all on debut for the Hawks. Playing on the ball and forward of centre, his role looks appealing from a Fantasy point of view and healthy scores should be forthcoming once he acclimatises to the speed of AFL footy. Against a pretty good team in the Swans, Cousins amassed 14 possessions, 1 mark, 6 tackles, 1 goal and 66 Fantasy points. After such a big win, I’d be very surprised if Cousins lost his spot as Clarko always backs the performers! Fellow Hawk youngster Dallas Willsmore (Mid. $155,000, 19 be AF. $132,400 DT) had a subdued debut. Playing as an outside mid, Willsmore was involved sparingly and finished with just 9 touches and 40 Fantasy points at the final siren. Cousins is head and shoulders above Willsmore for Fantasy.

Another outside midfielder, Jordan Cunico (Fwd/Mid. $156,000, 18 be AF. $132,400 DT) got his first run for the Cats. Chris Scott held him back a little though with just 61% playing time for 42 Fantasy points. He didn’t look out of his depth at all but in my opinion but with the Cats strong list, his job security is a massive risk. The perk with picking Cunico however, is that he had the Round 12 bye which is manageable for many. Not for the faint hearted.

Back from a long injury layoff, Matthew Scharenberg (Def. $244,000, 27 be AF. $197,500 DT) would have been pleased just to get through his first AFL game for the year. Playing Brisbane at the G, he got his mark and kick game going for 67 Fantasy points at the final siren. It’s Scharenberg’s disposal efficiency that will keep him in Collingwood’s 22 and given his potential, the Pies will want to give him as much exposure to senior football as possible. A good investment.

Bomber pair David Myers, 53 (Mid. $266,000, 21 be AF. $234,600, -4 be DT) and James Stewart, 56 (Fwd. $274,000, 31 be AF. $220,600, 9 be DT) were quiet in their games and I’m incredibly disappointed in Myers. He’s going missing in games and his scores are suffering. Daniel Lloyd, 59 (Mid. $207,000, 9 be AF. $170,400, -7 be DT) kicked a goal late otherwise he was looking likely for another bleak score. You’ve got to persist with these players and pray they score well until Essendon’s Round 13 bye.

Malcolm Karpany (Fwd/Mid. $182,000, 18 be AF. $202,900 DT) performed ok with 54 Fantasy points but missed a soda that made me swear my head off last Sunday. Unfortunately, he has no job security at West Coast so please avoid him.

This week is the chance to get rid of some dead wood. With three trades available, we can get offload the likes of Aaron Black (Fwd. $259,000, 1 be AF. $207,400, -13 be DT), Cameron Polson (Fwd. $153,000, 28 be AF. $125,300 DT) and if you’re like me…Mitchell Hibberd (Def/Mid. $150,000, 33 be AF. $132,400 DT)! Those coaches that are sitting pretty should look at trading topped up cashcows with the Round 11 bye in Tom Williamson, 54 (Def. $296,000, 53 be AF. $278,400, 29 be DT), Jake Barrett, 87 (Fwd/Mid. $351,000, 66 be AF. Mid. $334,600, 21 be DT) and Caleb Marchbank, 87 (Def. $421,000, 78 be AF. $411,700, 78 be DT). I’d keep Nic Newman, 78 (Def. $443,000, 47 be AF. $442,400, 57 be DT) though for his scoring potential.

KEEP YOUR EYE ON

Son of a gun Callum Brown (Fwd. $182,000, 35 be AF. $132,400 DT) is ready for the big time. After having a bout of glandular fever earlier this season, Brown has fully recovered and is pressing for senior selection. In his last VFL match, he racked up an appealing 29 disposals, 3 marks, 5 tackles and 95 Fantasy points. Brown looks a likely type as a high half forward for the Pies and he’s a front runner to replace Alex Fasolo as he takes leave from the club. I’ll be looking at Brown closely after Collingwood’s Round 13 bye but he may suit a few.

Mature ager Jonathan Beech (Fwd. $150,000, 29 be AF. $125,300 DT) has been on the Crows list for some time and he’s making waves in the magoos. Playing as a medium forward, Beech has averaged 20 touches, 7 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal and 90 Fantasy points across 8 SANFL games. Job security is a problem with Beech but our rookie stocks are so low that some Fantasy coaches may be desperate. I may consider him once he proves his worth at AFL level.

The previously mentioned Luke Ryan (Def. $150,000, 29 be AF. $125,300 DT) is a shoe-in for the Dockers after their 100-point shellacking in Round 10. When Ryan is named, he’s pretty much a must have for every Fantasy team. He’ll average 65 plus.

TOP 5 LISTS

Considering price, scoring potential and job security, here’s my Top 5 rookie options for Round 11:

Fantasy

1   James Cousins

2   Luke Ryan (if named)

3   Hugh Greenwood

4   Matt Scharenberg

5   Jordan Cunico

Dreamteam

1   Hugh Greenwood

2   Matt Scharenberg

3   David Myers

4   Luke Ryan (if named)

5   James Cousins

TWITTER Q&A

Yep I would. I’m collecting cash in order to trade in Rocky next week however.

Ryan. He’s a lot cheaper and will score similar if not better.

All decent. I like this trades.

Sean Darcy from Freo.

Parker maybe. Fyfe, no chance.

Polson had a great VFL match a couple of weeks back. As for Balic, it is all very hush, hush. Trade them both.

Nope, there’s just Luke Ryan at the minute.

You could trade Preuss to maybe Sean Darcy for the cash. I’m keeping him in.

Feel free to ask me a question below and don’t forget to add me on Twitter @JeppaDT for all things Fantasy and more. Happy trading!

SHOP NOW: Tom Mitchell beanie | Tom Rockliff beanie

1. Psych

May 31, 2017 at 7:34 am

Hey Jeppa, what are your thoughts on Aidyn Johnson? How’s his JS? He seemed decent for Port in the loss.

• Floggers

May 31, 2017 at 8:08 am

He didn’t play in the loss against Geelong. His only game this year was the win against Carlton where he played quite well and scored 67 points. As he’s currently not in the side though I would suggest he has no job security.

• Psych

May 31, 2017 at 8:47 am

Clearly I’m a numpty.

• Matt

May 31, 2017 at 9:28 am

Hahahah gold

2. Mike

May 31, 2017 at 7:46 am

Surley karpany has decent js? He is what the eagles need..a bit of pace and flair on the ball.

• Grey

May 31, 2017 at 11:14 am

I’m not convinced on his job security.
      Straight swap for LeCras I reckon, but I could be wrong.

• bomberpap

May 31, 2017 at 12:46 pm

Wasn’t he a late inclusion though? Always a question mark over the JS of someone that is named an emergency to start with.

• SOgnenis

May 31, 2017 at 3:08 pm

If the Eagles had a clue he would get more of a run. But last week (after a big loss) they brought in players like Josh Hill, Drew Petrie and dropped McInnes/Mutimer/Barrass. Safe to say good youngsters won’t have good JS at WCE this year.

Jeppa

May 31, 2017 at 4:18 pm

Trust me, he has no JS

3. Matt

May 31, 2017 at 8:35 am

what round is nic natnui expected to come back and play in?

• james

May 31, 2017 at 8:56 am

finals

• David C

May 31, 2017 at 11:05 am

West Coast won’t make the finals the way they are playing.

• Martin

May 31, 2017 at 1:52 pm

Who cares.

4. anth80

May 31, 2017 at 9:02 am

Shai Bolton Jeppa?
    Yay or Nay?

• Grey

May 31, 2017 at 11:16 am

I reckon he will be dropped when Butler comes back, which could be this week.

• Roger

May 31, 2017 at 3:26 pm

No point bringing Bolton in as he won’t make any money. Not a fantasy player.

Jeppa

May 31, 2017 at 4:18 pm

Nay. Small fwd that wont get much of it.

5. Maggie

May 31, 2017 at 9:03 am

Thanks Jeppa. As always, value your assessment and advice on the rookies. Bought Scharenberg last week and looking to Ryan and Cousins this week.

6. Beats

May 31, 2017 at 9:25 am

Trade or hold Fisher?

• Joey

May 31, 2017 at 9:56 am

I’m trading to cousins. His break even is 47, so it doesn’t look like he will make much cash

• thebopper58

May 31, 2017 at 9:58 am

Beats

Beats me??
      If you enjoy scores of 30-40 then hold
      Fisher to Cousins pretty straight forward or even Brown if named
      Fisher has no tank as he goes missing for two quarters a game
      Good luck

Jeppa

May 31, 2017 at 4:39 pm

Trade. He’s not reaching the scores we need.

7. subdub

May 31, 2017 at 10:53 am

Should I trade Marchbank to Ryan (if named) to be able to field 18 or trade Hoskin-Elliott to Scott Selwood with 17 on field? Think this is the last chance to get Selwood with a 27 be although I know he probably won’t average over 100.

I do have the option of turning Black into Selwood but have to spend cash to do this. Would go into next round with $200k.

• Grey

May 31, 2017 at 11:20 am

Hard to make informed comments without seeing your whole team.

If you have Otten in the back line then you could trade Black, swing Otten forward and bring in Ryan if named.

I am keeping Marchbank for 2-3 more games, whilst waiting for the price of Jake Lloyd to bottom after his 2 against Hawthorn.

• SOgnenis

May 31, 2017 at 3:19 pm

I got rid of Marchbank last week as was expecting to get him out this week, but given Lloyd’s injury, ^ option is excellent. Makes an easy trade in 2-3 weeks once Lloyd bottoms out. (I have Lloyd anyway…)

Priority should be getting rid of non-playing rookies, so Black is a much better option. That way you have less cash now but extra points this week and through the byes as Marchbank will play and score his 70-80.

Jeppa

May 31, 2017 at 5:57 pm

Strive for excellence mate. Im trading marchbank this week. He’s done his job.

8. Henry

May 31, 2017 at 11:22 am

Thanks for another great article, Jeppa, although I suspect this week’s was easier easier than most this season, with fewer players and choices appearing more obvious.

Those planning to bring in Cousins (or any other players from tomorrow’s game) will need to be careful if considering Luke Ryan or anyone else from Sunday’s game. Our trades will involving the Port vs Hawks game will be locked in before the selections from the Freo vs Pies game are finalised. Buyer beware.

• Tibbedy

May 31, 2017 at 2:42 pm

Excellent point, my current trades are WHE to Yeo, Watson to Cousins and Houston to Ryan, if worst comes to worst and Ryan isn’t named I have a massive bank and will go Marchbank to Docherty instead, I have 21 playing anyway

9. Mars

May 31, 2017 at 11:22 am

Jep I won’t be home or able to check the teams on Thursday night, meaning my trades are locked if I choose to bring in Cousins. Would you still recommend trading I Cousins or hold off a week or two (three)?

• SOgnenis

May 31, 2017 at 3:20 pm

Only your trade for Cousins will be locked. Don’t do the others until Friday.

10. M8

May 31, 2017 at 11:38 am

My Team:
    DEF: Adams, Docherty, Laird, Marchbank, Otten, Williamson (Stewart, Vickers-Willis)
    MID: Mitchell, Merrett, Dangerfield, Hannebery, Hall, Fyfe, Powell-Pepper, Myers (Lloyd, Mountford)
    RUCK: Martin, Grundy (Preuss, Cameron)
    FWD: Macrae, Dahlhaus, Steele, Nankervis, Heeney, Hoskin-Elliot (Greenwood, Polson)

Cash: $127k

Thoughts on what to do thinking of going Mountford to Cousins, Williamson/Vickers-Willis to Ryan and I’m not sure on the third trade. Want to leave some cash to get Rocky back in next week

• SOgnenis

May 31, 2017 at 3:22 pm

Clearing your dead wood should be priority: Polson, Mountford, but won’t get you much cash.
      Williamson, Myers, WHE, Marchbank would be better for that if you don’t think you’ll be able to reach for Rocky.
      EVW has useful bye.

• Roger

May 31, 2017 at 3:35 pm

To get some cash you can go PReuss to a $150k ruckman,

11. What the Bejeebers

May 31, 2017 at 11:55 am

Great stuff Jepp. I would’ve thought Francis Watson was a chance to come into the side soon? Returning to the WAFL this weekend I believe, could be a chance for round 13 or 14? (A while away I know). Probably more from an AFL perspective as much as a Fantasy perspective, I recon he’d be a good addition.

12. john

May 31, 2017 at 11:57 am

Hmm is Scharenberg worth the coin and safe to play on field?

• Roger

May 31, 2017 at 12:13 pm

I believe so

• Foo Foo the Snoo

May 31, 2017 at 12:28 pm

For the next 3 rounds you don’t need to worry about who’s on field do you?

• john

May 31, 2017 at 12:31 pm

I’m thinking longer term than that

• the Cricket

May 31, 2017 at 2:44 pm

That’s a weird question to be asking about a rookie

• bomberpap

May 31, 2017 at 12:46 pm

Depends who else you have back there. For me it’s a no but I have a stacked DEF with Newman as my D6 and Scharenberg won’t outscore him. He is probably behind Marchbank and Otten with scoring potential but ahead of Williamson.

• Chud

May 31, 2017 at 5:44 pm

Depends on your team. He will play on field for me after byes but will be looking to move him to bench once I can bring Lloyd in.

I think he will be good for 60+s and slowly improve as he gets settled.

13. Kel

May 31, 2017 at 11:58 am

Hi Jep
    If Darcy does come in for Sunday does he grab a spot in your AF top 5? What score could we hope for?

• Swanny

May 31, 2017 at 12:27 pm

If he does it’s only for one week until Sandi comes back. Freo won’t play 2 ruckman. And is the extra 25k really worth it?

• Kel

May 31, 2017 at 1:54 pm

And another RDT top five Q, would Ainsworth be in there if he’s picked?

14. Ayden

May 31, 2017 at 12:17 pm

I’m very rd 13 heavy if I bring in scooter it help structure but won’t allow me to get rocky next week or I bring in scharenberg which leave me with the 6 trades to field a team for round 13 to get rocky which one ?

• SOgnenis

May 31, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Why won’t be able to get Rocky next week?

15. Benn

May 31, 2017 at 12:31 pm

If Dawson Simpson gets the nod would you choose him over darcy?

• Roger

May 31, 2017 at 3:39 pm

I wouldn’t choose any of them

• Benn

May 31, 2017 at 4:09 pm

In your previous comment you said you can go pruess to a 150k ruck to get some cash so who would you suggest if not them?

• Roger

May 31, 2017 at 5:13 pm

Honestly mate, I would choose a $150k player as Simpson and Darcy may play one game and that’s it. I’d rather trade and spend the $20k – $32k elsewhere.

• Samuel

May 31, 2017 at 5:55 pm

Buzza for Geelong should get a game.

16. Trent

May 31, 2017 at 12:47 pm

Scharenberg v Ryan?

Ryan saves 95k but Shaz feels safer. Whoever I get will be on field for probably the next month or so

• SOgnenis

May 31, 2017 at 3:24 pm

Discussed in Traders podcast – say Ryan.
      Jeppa says Ryan.
      Mainly from cash perspective though so if you think Shaz is worth the 95k extra then sure. (Also remember if they score similarly then Ryan will appreciate a lot more as his BE starts around 25 per week, whereas Shaz will be around 40 per week.

• Roger

May 31, 2017 at 3:29 pm

Right now Shaz has a B/E of 27 while Ryan has a B/E of 29.
        I’m trading in Shaz this week so he can play on the field and will get Ryan next week to stay on the pine for cash

• SOgnenis

May 31, 2017 at 4:14 pm

If you get both it’s much of a muchness, yep.

• Blues Clues

May 31, 2017 at 6:34 pm

Well it’s a good idea as you need rookies on your pine earning cash to then upgrade players on your field. Duh

• Chud

May 31, 2017 at 5:47 pm

Depends if you’re going to get both, as I imagine a lot will (not a lot of defense downgrade options for a while now). If you are, go Scharenberg first for scoring potential. Then Ryan next week after seeing his performance.

If it’s one or the other, bank the cash and go Ryan

17. Brett

May 31, 2017 at 1:13 pm

Thoughts on Tim Mohr for a bargain basement defender (156k). He may have decent short term job security as GWS backline has a lot of injuries

• Tommygun

May 31, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Solid bench cover while he is playing

18. Mike

May 31, 2017 at 3:28 pm

Not sure if he qualifies as a junior but any thoughts on 2 gamer Cunningham from Carlton?

19. TJ

May 31, 2017 at 3:28 pm

Looking to Bring in Ryan this week, but it means I’ll have to play one of him, Stewart or Scharenberg on the field after byes. Worth it???

• SOgnenis

May 31, 2017 at 4:04 pm

Any chance to upgrade Stewart next week or after byes? He will be around 300k and peaked. Won’t be much of a leap to get to Lloyd, Harbrow?

20. Alan

May 31, 2017 at 3:36 pm

Is Dahlhaus going to bounce back at all??

BYE then SWANS then ROOS doesn’t look appealing.. Maybe I can save some cash for a decent mid upgrade from Swans next week??

• bomberpap

May 31, 2017 at 4:49 pm

He’s honestly not playing that badly, it’s just not a fantasy friendly style. He’s an inside mid that gets a huge amount of quick handballs out… and as we know the +2’s aren’t the way to scoring consistent 100s. There’s not enough other talent in the forward line to switch to though, unless you don’t have Yeo yet.

21. Matthew Woods

May 31, 2017 at 4:10 pm

hey guys im thinking of doing the following:
    Mountford-Cousins
    Williamson-Ryan(if named)
    Fisher-S Selwood with 144k left or do i go Stef Martin-Nankervis with 427k cash is key

22. TJP's Heroes

May 31, 2017 at 4:14 pm

150k player most likely to get a gig forward?

23. Nigel

May 31, 2017 at 4:16 pm

Last trade of the week is Fyfe out.
    I’m torn as to whether I trade him for an uber premium (Kelly, Treloar, Ablett) or save some $$$ for a massive double upgrade next week.
    I already have enough to probably got Heppell/Marchbank to Rocky/Doc, but a few extra dollars cant hurt.
    Help?!

• bomberpap

May 31, 2017 at 4:51 pm

I’ve done Fyfe to Dusty. I would prefer a POD but he’s just about bottomed out and is averaging 112 so might as well enjoy the ride. I want to get Rocky in but will wait a match and see how that shoulder of his goes. Plus I’m heavy on Rnd 13 players so turfing Fyfe for Dusty with the favourable Rnd 12 bye suits me well.

24. TJP's Heroes

May 31, 2017 at 4:28 pm

If
    Nat Fyfe gets 110+
    Tom Mitchell 90 – 100
    Tom Stewart 70+

I’ll be able to do
    Tom Stewart – 150k
    Jack Steven – tom Rockliff
    Nat Fyfe – tom mitchell

Fingers are so crossed!!!

Sir Bobby

May 31, 2017 at 4:46 pm

Ben Cousins has got a better chance of winning this year’s Brownlow, than you have of pulling this off.
      Back to the drawing board.

25. Angus

May 31, 2017 at 4:48 pm

Who to trade out first:
    – T. Miles
    – A.Black
    – H.Wigg
    – M.Hibberd (NM)

• bomberpap

May 31, 2017 at 4:53 pm

All of them ideally. Wigg, Black, Miles and Hibberd in that order but really it’s all luck as none are playing right now.

26. Alex

May 31, 2017 at 5:54 pm

Best non R13 bye rookies in order?

I have Newman, Marchbank then Barrett as 1-3…

27. Afaz

May 31, 2017 at 8:24 pm

Hey crew…
    Do i trade Harry Marsh > Luke Ryan (if named) or Aaron Black > Cunico?
    Hoping to downgrade to get some cash for Rocky when he’s back. Is there anyone else FWD with js? No DPP fwd/mid for me unfort.
    Cheers

28. Steele

May 31, 2017 at 9:42 pm

Who is the best DEF to get in out of : (or whats the order)

Z. Tuohy
    Hibberd (melb)
    L. Montagna
    Roberton

• sir relton

June 1, 2017 at 6:23 am

Roberton
      Touhy (only just ahead of Monty)
      Monty
      Hibberd

29. sir relton

June 1, 2017 at 6:21 am

With reports Ainsworth may return, is he worth getting as an inflated rookie that will play through byes? Don’t trust Cunico for JS or points and every other new rookie is a rd13 player.

• Jasper Pittard

June 3, 2017 at 11:48 am

If he’s named next week he’s probably a must-have, assuming no 150k rooks are gifted to us.

30. OceanEarth

June 1, 2017 at 7:18 pm

I don’t have Fantasy Coach but Footywire says Jake Barrett’s actually got a BE of 41 and if he scores the same as last week he’ll go up about $18K. I’d be keeping if this is the case.