Cash Cows

Jeppa’s Juniors – Round 9

With the bye rounds on our doorstep, getting your rooks right is critical in achieving 18 playing players. Don’t miss Jeppa’s full review from the weekend’s action including those ‘juniors’ that should be on your radar.

No one likes the bye rounds but it’s part of the game and from experience, the elite coaches rise above during this period. As it stands, we’re pretty good on the injury front but anything can happen and I urge you to have a playing squad of at least 28 this week.

At this stage, my strategy for the bye rounds is to bring in Ablett this week and have plenty of cash leftover, make a double downgrade in Round 11 to be cashed up for a major premo upgrade in Round 12 (Rocky, Simpson). Make sure you plan ahead!

Those That Matter

Basketballer turned footballer, Hugh Greenwood (Mid/Fwd. $180,000, -14 be AF. $125,300 DT) exceeded everyone’s expectations last weekend. Granted his SANFL form was great but never did I expect 93 Fantasy points from 15 possessions, 2 marks, a whopping 9 tackles and 3 goals. Any rookie priced player that can tackle is worth having let me tell you. If you don’t own him then get him. He’s job security will be ok through the byes and you can expect scores in the 70’s however.

Nic Newman (Def. $413,000, 15 be AF. $391,000, -32 be DT) gets a mention again for being awesome after scoring 113 Fantasy points. I’m holding this kicking machine post Round 11 bye cause there’s still plenty of cash that he’ll be earning. No doubt that there would be a bitter taste in the mouth of those that traded him a few weeks back.

David Myers (Mid. $243,000, 4 be AF. $190,200, -41 be DT) showed his promise again versus West Coast with 83 Fantasy points. Trust me when I say that he’s still building form and fitness and I’d expect 80+ again from him against the Tigers on Saturday night. Fellow ‘Junior’ Bomber James Stewart (Fwd. $259,000, 24 be AF. $178,200, -33 be DT) was decent in Round 9 but not amazing. The Bombers forward line is working extremely well at the minute and his job security is pretty decent as a result.

Daniel Lloyd (Mid. $183,000, 9 be AF. $125,300, -36 be DT) was quiet against Richmond but with the Giants injury woes he’ll hold his spot. He’s still cheap enough to trade in and he has the tools to score 65 plus so Lloyd is still relevant. Lloyd’s teammate Harry Perryman (Mid. $228,000, 34 be AF. $161,300 DT) didn’t have a massive one but he did spend time on the ball and thus his role seems solid. Unless he produces something special this week then he won’t be rookie relevant.

For those that can’t make a decision on who to offload, here’s my trade list in order:

• Curtly Hampton *Injured (Def/Mid. $332,000, 86 be AF. Def. $305,400, 71 be DT)
  • Harley Balic *Unavailable (Fwd/Mid. $250,000, 13 be AF. $240,000, 1 be DT)
  • Dan Butler (Fwd. $291,000, 66 be AF. $270,500, 62 be DT)
  • Lewis Melican (Def. $228,000, 40 be AF. $212,300, 47 be DT)
  • Tom Williamson (Def. $290,000, 41 be AF. $269,900, 34 be DT)
  • Andy Otten (Def/Fwd. $380,000, 75 be AF. Def. $368,500, 86 be DT)
  • Caleb Marchbank (Def. $415,000, 74 be AF. $409,000, 78 be DT)
  • Jake Barrett (Fwd/Mid. $327,000, 37 be AF. Mid. $311,900, 38 be DT)

Ed Vicker-Willis 59 (Def. $239,000, 20 be AF. $220,700, -2 be DT), Jarrod Berry 58 (Def/Mid. $271,000, 24 be AF. $263,300, 17 be DT), James Parsons 55 (Fwd. $240,000, 37 be AF. $202,000, 16 be DT) and Kurt Mutimer 52 (Mid. $212,000, 12 be AF. $198,700, -1 be DT) all had subdued games but they’ve still got a bit of cash to earn so keep them as bench cover. The word over here in the West is that Fraser McInnes (Def/Fwd. $270,000, 53 be AF. $145,300, -47 be DT) will lose his spot to Drew Petrie this weekend. Avoid.

KEEP YOUR EYE ON

Luke Ryan (Def. $150,000, 29 be AF. $125,300 DT) – Talk about perfect timing. Ryan is dirt cheap and primed for selection this week. He’s coming off 31 possessions, 9 marks, 1 goal and 114 Fantasy points in the WAFL albeit against cellar dwellers Perth. Drafted as a mature ager, Ryan has been brought in to fill a need at Freo and now that he’s over his injury woes it’s time for him to make a name for himself. He’s a must have and if it’s not this week then all the astute Fantasy coaches will all own him next week. When you think of Ryan, think of Nick Maxwell but with elite kicking skills.

Harrison Wigg (Mid. $150,000, 29 be AF. $132,400 DT) – Fellow Junior Curtly Hampton is injured which could see Wigg find a home in the Crows 22. Wigg has been impressing in the SANFL for a number of weeks now and if the Crows want to keep the kid on their list in future seasons then they’ll need to play him. He’s an elite kick and he’ll fit seamlessly into the Crows style of playbut his job security would be shaky.

Jordan Cunico (Fwd/Mid. $150,000, 29 be AF. $132,400 DT) – The speedy wingman has been a confirmed inclusion for Geelong in tonight’s game against the Power. He’s averaging 22 disposals, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 1 goal and 93 Fantasy points per game but I worry about his output at AFL level. As an impact player he may only get his hands on it a dozen times so some sub 60 scores are likely early. It’s a wait and see for me but if Ryan isn’t named I might look at him.

The previously mentioned Matt Scharenberg (Def. $234,000, 45 be AF. $197,500 DT) is still kicking butt in the VFL. 41 disposals last weekend following 36 possessions both rounds prior. He’s ready Buckley…pick him!

TOP 5 LISTS

Considering price, scoring potential and job security, here’s my Top 5 rookie options for Round 10:

Fantasy

1   Hugh Greenwood

2   Luke Ryan (if named)

3   Daniel Lloyd

4   David Myers

5   Matt Scharenberg (if named)

6   Jordan Cunico (if named)

Dreamteam

1   David Myers

2   Daniel Lloyd

3   Hugh Greenwood

4   James Stewart

5   Matt Scharenberg (if named)

TWITTER Q&A

Offload Otten but only if it suits your bye structure.

Yeah far too risky. Hopefully Ross the Boss picks Luke Ryan to play.

Polson had a great game in the VFL on the weekend and is a sneaky chance to play in the seniors. Offload Balic first.

Trade the non playing rooks as soon as you can.

Gaz

Earn some coin and double downgrade.

Average in VFL for the past couple of Rounds. You can offload him if convenient but he has the Round 12 bye.

Myers

Feel free to ask me a question below and don’t forget to add me on Twitter @JeppaDT for all things Fantasy and more. Happy trading!

SHOP NOW: Tom Mitchell beanie | Tom Rockliff beanie

Psych

May 25, 2017 at 7:24 am

Thanks for your work again Jeppa. Good read.

Do you think it’s better to trade Rocky for a premo or offload Curtly to Ryan/Shaz (if named). Bringing in Greenwood for Polson or Balic as my other trade.

Jim

May 25, 2017 at 7:37 am

If you held rocky last week, you’ve pretty much conceded to holding him until he returns.

Jaxon Connor

May 25, 2017 at 7:25 am

Bring in EVW, Scharenberg or Ryan (if named of course) to play on field?

Roger

May 25, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Scharenberg. I’d rather have a look at Ryan first

Sam

May 25, 2017 at 7:33 am

Thanks again for the article Jeppa.

Any news on George Horlin-Smith? Still hanging around in RDT. Not named as an emergency tonight or on the injury list.

Sam

May 25, 2017 at 8:04 am

PS. Lloyd is a mid…fwd above

Kel

May 25, 2017 at 7:49 am

Much needed Jeppa. Was sucked in by Cunico’s bye last night but he really has to be seen first. You’ve helped me make that call. No big deal if he scores an 80, in fact that’d be pretty good, might give us and the Geelong coaches some confidence in him.

Kel

May 25, 2017 at 7:54 am

Am now just hoping for some news on Hibberd. Mullett being back in and the team winning means spots won’t open up probably but it’d be brilliant to have him back next week as he still rides my DT/SC pine

Jarrod

May 25, 2017 at 7:54 am

Time to pull the pin on Zak Jones? Otherwise i’ve got Balic and black to offload

Fooz

May 25, 2017 at 10:13 am

after one poor game? Hold this week. He’s got the bye next.

PK

May 25, 2017 at 7:56 am

Cheers again Jeppa. Would you trade Hampton (D6) to Pittard (3k left) or Ryan (372k left). Dont want to field Ryan but could use that coin next week for Ablett..

Daniel

May 25, 2017 at 8:36 am

Thanks again Jeppa, esp for the hot tip on Ryan. I hope your source is wrong but it looks like my gamble on Mcinnes last week didn’t pay. Now stuck with him and Black for R12 non players.

I have both Williamson and Marchbank, but I have CM ahead of TW in the trade out list. IMO TW has one more price rise but CM has topped out. What is your theory on cashing TW first?

Secondary consideration is that Hampton to Ryan gives me enough to go Marchbank to Danger (via Otten) for a good crack at the VC loophole.

Numer 1 fantasy player

May 25, 2017 at 8:48 am

I wouldn’t go picking Cunico with cockatoo and Lonergan out when there back he should make way for them so you may get 2 or 3 weeks at the most

9. Stuart

Stuart

May 25, 2017 at 8:48 am

Looking to build a warne chest & go Black/hampton>greenwood/ryan.

Please put Ryan in Ross!

Recall

May 25, 2017 at 8:49 am

Love your work Jeppa. Gone Black to Greenwood. But is it worth going Balic to Walters cause if the low BE or bring in Ryan with Hamptons DPP? Sitting 170 ish in AF so want to keep banking points as well as prepare for byes

Foo Foo the Snoo

May 25, 2017 at 9:07 am

Yep I have the same question. Would love to jump on the scores and cash if Walters… long may it continue… but would like to build some funds with Ryan.
      My thinking at the minute is that if Walters is worth it we need to do it this week, where Ryan can probably wait a week.

Recall

May 25, 2017 at 10:10 am

I was also thinking with Walters low BE he will make the same $$ and score better. Easier to trade him to a super premium when he has his round 13 bye

Ritchie

May 25, 2017 at 8:56 am

Great article Jep cheers for the help! I brought in WCE Fraser for his 1st appearance and he’s done pretty well. Hoping Simmo finally sees the light and gives him Darlings spot.

Msam

May 25, 2017 at 9:00 am

Anyone know how JKH is doing in the reserves? No much money in him to do anything!!

sir relton

May 25, 2017 at 9:10 am

Some thoughts on my choices please.
    Bring in Cunico onto bench for non playing Black. or
    Bring in Ryan (if named) for Otten and Play on field?

Matt

May 25, 2017 at 9:27 am

Definitely put Cunico on the bench, can’t be fielding first gamers and be downgrading players on your field

Matt

May 25, 2017 at 9:26 am

I need to field 2 out of the 4 players. Powell Pepper, Myers, Greenwood or Lloyd. Which one’s should i choose?

CJ

May 25, 2017 at 9:54 am

Myers and Greenwood. Myers is only getting better and even though Greenwood probably won’t back up his 93 with another 90 at least he tackles and has shown he can get a decent score. The others are sitting much lower on average.

Rosh

May 25, 2017 at 11:45 am

If you’ve got a non playing rookie in the mids loophole SPP. Same goes with Parsons and Stewart, I’m looping them all.

Daymo

May 25, 2017 at 9:49 am

I’m stuck for trades this week guys dunno whether to fix bench rookies or fix some spuds on the field!

DEF: Adams, Laird, Newman, Otten, Marchbank, Stewart. | C Beams, EVW
    MID: Danger, Titch, Treloar, Fyfe, JPK, Heppell, Watson, SPP. | Lloyd, Mutimer
    RUCK: Grundy, Martin. | Pruess, Cameron
    FWD: Franklin, Dahlhaus, Heeney, Elliot, WHE, Barrett. | Eddy, Pickett
    Only 8k in bank!
    All help appreciated to fix this shithouse team!

Rubitonurnuts

May 25, 2017 at 9:52 am

I would be offloading Marchbank before Butler given he has the bye next week.

Stuart

May 25, 2017 at 11:13 am

Depends on your structure, he could be handy in byes 12 & 13.

anth80

May 25, 2017 at 9:59 am

Jeppa,
    Trade SPP to Gaz or Barrett to Yeo?
    Otherwise is Marchbank to a rnd 12 playing back man which is not many.
    Or double downgrade this week. So if would be Otten to Greenwood and Eddy to Cunico. Which would give me about $350k to upgrade a couple of rnd 11 or 13 bye players next week

john

May 25, 2017 at 10:08 am

Field greenwood or SPP?

19. Fooz

Fooz

May 25, 2017 at 10:15 am

Hey Jeppa – thanks for the write up. Top notch again as usual. Any word on how close Hibberd (NM) is on getting a senior guernsey? He’s been named as being close to the best in the magoos in the last couple of weeks.

Fooz

May 25, 2017 at 10:26 am

Scores in the VFL of 94 and 80 in the last two

Grovers Guns

May 25, 2017 at 10:16 am

Thanks Jeppa.
    Started to make me wonder about my “locked in” trades. Gone Hampton and Otten to Greenwood and SSelwood leaving $149k.
    Now wondering if I should do a double downgrade with Luke Ryan if he gets a run. Job security worries me with Sam Collins in the wings and Alex Pearce to comeback though they may take some time. double downgrade will leave me cashed up but banking on some rookies firing.

Fooz

May 25, 2017 at 10:34 am

As a Freo supporter – I agree, that is a concern. However, considering that Collins hasn’t been sighted in the seniors this year means to me that they are giving him more time to develop, after his (excellent) baptism of fire last year. Ryan is already a mature-ager, so may get a call up sooner rather than later… fingers crossed.

Stuart

May 25, 2017 at 11:20 am

Collins is a mature ager too. Ryan and Collins are different types anyway. One of Spurr or Ibbo needs to be dropped for Ryan.

Roger

May 25, 2017 at 4:50 pm

I think Ibbo will get dropped as he was terrible last week

Wiley

May 25, 2017 at 10:42 am

Duncan or Danger?

Jimmy

May 25, 2017 at 10:48 am

get rid of balic of black first?

Kanye West

May 25, 2017 at 11:00 am

Balic

Kingzy

May 25, 2017 at 11:01 am

SOgnenis

May 25, 2017 at 12:31 pm

If this week then Balic because Black could be back any time.
          But if can hold both, we might have more information on Balic in a week or so.

Balic is best 22. Black is not, and is not lighting it up in VFL either. Buzza looks more likely to come in, and they’ve just brought in Cunico as well. If still in top 8 can’t see Black getting many more games this season but Balic will play 90+% of the games he is available for. Which could be none (but we don’t know yet).

Kingzy

May 25, 2017 at 10:53 am

Great article Jeppa!
    Certainly looking at Greenwood and cleaning up non playing rookies.
    Looking at Black – Greenwood and GHS – Hall
    Picking up Ryan next week for Marchbank.

Does the trades sound good?

Patrick Dangerfield

May 25, 2017 at 11:02 am

Who wants to see my Greenwood?

Craigo

May 25, 2017 at 11:04 am

You guys probably won’t believe me but my dad is Mike Prior who is the defence coach at freo and Ik if Ryan is playing, but I can’t say it now. But trust me, its your lucky day.

Duck Waxer

May 25, 2017 at 11:53 am

Craigo, you probably won’t believe me either but I wax the wings of the ducks on the pond at your local park to keep them waterproof. You wouldn’t believe what the council pay per duck, lets just say I live a comfortable life from helping nature.

Are you saying Ryan is playing or that we should rush down to the newsagent and buy a scratchie?

Craigo

May 25, 2017 at 12:26 pm

shut up. Its funny how known of you believe me. I can give you all the details to where he lives. Search up my name Jaxon Prior. You will see my dad Mr. Prior in many of my photos. I have a sister called madi prior and i have two brown big dogs.

Duck Waxer

May 25, 2017 at 12:43 pm

I believe you, you should believe me too. Just go down the park and have a look at how the ducks float, that’s because I wax them. If you don’t believe me, take a chicken down and throw it in the pond, it won’t float like the ducks. There is another bloke who waxes the swans, that’s a pretty big contract and I don’t have the gear yet. It’s an area I want to grow the business into.

Anyway, talking about junior selections, are you saying Ryan is playing this weekend, or the missus is going to put out tonight?

What the Bejeebers

May 25, 2017 at 12:45 pm

Your not funny mate. you give me brain cancer….

Duck Waxer

May 26, 2017 at 11:19 am

Well Craigo, I don’t see Ryan listed as playing so I am confused. I didn’t win lotto and the missus had a headache last night. What were you actually saying in your original comment? Was it like a horoscope? Was yesterday the lucky day or is today actually the lucky day?

What the Bejeebers

May 25, 2017 at 11:06 am

Great stuff, Jepp! Hoping Scharenberg doesn’t play at all this season, cos he’s too expensive to downgrade to so I’ll probably look past him!

Got a question as well for RDT… Who do I field this week; Barrett, Myers or SPP (can’t loophole him as I’ve got Fisher at M11). Leaning towards Barrett or Myers right now but more towards Barrett, no Rocky or Robinson again so he should play the same role as last week where he did very well in but then again Myers is a veteran who can average 80+ but is so far as Jeppa said ‘still warming up’- he’s only playing ~65%ish TOG right now. Thoughts, fellas?

cuddlesthesaint

May 25, 2017 at 11:10 am

Always good work Jeppa. Anyone got an update on Ainsworth ? – sweating on him coming in this week or next.

Diesel

May 25, 2017 at 11:26 am

Great work Jeppa. Who’s the best 150K ruck rookie to trade in for Preuss if he continues to not get a game in the next few weeks?

SOgnenis

May 25, 2017 at 12:32 pm

If no-one is looking like getting a game, just make its someone who is DPP (Who knows we may get lucky with the R12 DPPs).
      Buzza from Geelong has done okay and might get a game but wouldn’t be holding my breath.

Roger

May 25, 2017 at 12:16 pm

What does everyone think about W.Brodie??

Alex

May 25, 2017 at 1:21 pm

I was just going to ask that very thing – is definitely debuting this week. My inclination is to trade Barrett for Brodie, which will probably only pocket me $100k but I suspect he would be handy over the bye rounds

Roger

May 25, 2017 at 4:07 pm

I will probably have a look and see how he goes this week. If he performs well, I may bring him in next week.

Thebopper58

May 26, 2017 at 4:55 am

Roger

He’s been sitting on my bench (RDT) since the start of the season
      Quiet surprised he wasn’t named earlier
      He’s a tough nut whose JLT form was quite good
      Loves to tackle but sadly hasn’t got much of a tank
      Quite expensive for AFL but cheaper in the other forms of the game
      Good luck

nkthegunner12

May 25, 2017 at 12:21 pm

I know its not junior-related but should I bring in Hall or Dusty this week? Easily got enough playing in Rd12

Pete

May 25, 2017 at 12:24 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts on who will get DPP in round 12?

Looking to make some moves in Draft comp.

Cheers.

SOgnenis

May 25, 2017 at 12:35 pm

T.Mitchell (FWD) would be nice (ha!)
      Probably Heeney, Wingard to get MID. Not sure about the more draft-relevant mid-tier players sorry.

Jeff

May 25, 2017 at 12:43 pm

Who should I put on the field out of the following?: Myers, Taranto, Barret, Greenwood, Lloyd. Only need to pick one.

SOgnenis

May 25, 2017 at 1:03 pm

Myers

Diesel

May 25, 2017 at 1:31 pm

Damn, you must have a good team if you only need one of them to play.
      Myers from that list.

Lance Franklin

May 25, 2017 at 1:34 pm

What two rookies to field out of: Myers, Barrett, SPP or Lloyd??

Diesel

May 25, 2017 at 1:36 pm

Myers & Barrett

TimorSaint

May 25, 2017 at 5:00 pm

id go myers and lloyd … lloyd has more $ making potential

Kendrick Lamar

May 25, 2017 at 1:59 pm

Can’t decide between Barlow or pittard. My only concern with Barlow is that he will get injured shortly. Still have touk (socks up) Miller

Stevo

May 25, 2017 at 2:00 pm

Can anyone tell me what role Barlow has been playing this year? Run with? Inside mid?

Kendrick Lamar

May 25, 2017 at 2:09 pm

I’d like to know too Stevo, going by the last 3 games he’s played gathering more than 25 possessions per game he may be a inside mid

TimorSaint

May 25, 2017 at 5:00 pm

James Cousins or Luke Ryan – who is more spuddly ?

Hogan

May 26, 2017 at 11:24 am

Cousins is named as playing and Ryan as emergency. Depends if you want a playing rooking or not.

Andy

May 25, 2017 at 7:09 pm

New meat named everywhere tonight. Depending how they go, lots of rookies to consider bringing in during the bye rounds.

Jeppa, maybe you should consider doing this article on a Friday?

Ben

May 25, 2017 at 10:44 pm

Brought in Scharenberg this week, is it worth taking Stewart’s 74 as my emergency, or gamble on Matty to go bigger?

Kendrick Lamar

May 26, 2017 at 7:48 am

I personally traded march bank for scharanberg to free up 260k next week for forward upgrades. Look there is a chance he could go bigger with his form in the vfl and the fact they are playing Brisbane at the mcg so I’m taking the chance of playing him with Stewart my emergency

Diesel

May 26, 2017 at 1:38 am

Who to field out of Greenwood, Barrett, Lloyd?

OceanEarth

May 26, 2017 at 8:06 am

Anyone know anything about the scoring potential and JS of the new Hawks boys Willsmore and Cummings?