Deck of Dream Team

Dyson Heppell – Deck of DT 2017

Kicking off the Deck of DT is a returning Banned Bomber who Warnie thinks should be in your midfield.

Image result for dyson heppellName: Dyson Heppell
Team: Essendon
Position: MID
AFL Fantasy: $548,000
Bye Round: 13
2015* Average: 101.8
2015* Games Played: 22
Predicted Average: 110

Click here for DT Live profile.

Why should I pick him?

All of the returning Banned Bombers have been given a discount of 10%. Personally, I thought this was generous as they didn’t have to get a discount for their year out of the game. It wasn’t an injury and I believe that most of the lads were ‘naturally’ discounted as their output in 2015 was below where they had been before (cue Calvin’s jokes about why they were better the couple of years earlier).

Dyson Heppell is discounted on his 2015 average of 101.8, which sees him priced at 91.6. He has only gone lower than that in his first two seasons of footy.

Many coaches think players will be rusty coming back as a year is a long time out of the game. Maybe it’s because I am a Bombers supporter, but I think differently. I’ve got my glass half full thinking that they’re at an advantage because of this. Heppell (and co) have enjoyed a year out of the game. Whether it’s resting their bodies (Heppell has played basically five full seasons) or clearing their head. I can only see this as a good thing. It’s not like any of them let themselves go and they all basically back into a full pre-season.

Heppell’s career saw him average a massive 83.4 from 22 games in his first season, backing up with 85.3. His last three years has seen him go 95, 106.9 and 101.6, playing all but six games up until the 2016 suspension. Heppell’s average that he is priced on (plus the discount) was more than 5 points less than his best, so he is conceivably priced 15 points below his best.

Turning 25 in May, the midfielder scored 22 tons, including 12 over 120, in his last two years of footy including a high score of 152. He’s got a decent ceiling and with the year off, he’s just coming into his prime and that’s why I think he’ll average 110.

Image result for dyson heppell 2015

Why shouldn’t I pick him?

Maybe people are right – the returning Banned Bombers will be underdone an nowhere near their best (with the 10% discount, they would have to perform pretty ordinarily even to not do their job for their price).

The main issue with Heppell is his consistency. I mentioned his ceiling, well, in the last couple of seasons, he has been tagged on occasion. In 2014, his best averaging season, he dropped a 43 (v St Kilda) and had a handful of sub-85 scores when he copped attention. 2015 was better but six of his scores were below 90.

While he might be cheap, is he a keeper? If you don’t see him improving on his last season, a 101.8 average wouldn’t be ideal for the whole season, and selecting him just as a stepping stone might not be worth it.

Deck of DT Rating.

KING – It was hard to think why you shouldn’t pick Heppell, so just do it. A ‘December lock’ for me without a second guess. Obviously we would want to see exactly how he rolls in the pre-season – including the JLT Series – but he’ll be at least 105 and with his Fantasy friendly game (including that with the Bombers who seemed to rack up some decent scores last year under Worsfold). If he is going at 100+ early on in the season, that is still fine as the Bombers have the round 13 bye and could be moved on if necessary – minimising the risk in starting Heppell or any other Bombers. If Heppell is available in the third round in Draft (after approximately the first 15 or so midfielders have been taken), then he is going to be a value pick in my view. Lock and load, baby!

What will Heppell average in 2017?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER: @WarnieDT for all thing AFL Fantasy (and more). Got something to say about the deck? Use the hashtag… #DeckofDT.

deckofdtstrip2017_620

1. trousers

December 26, 2016 at 8:11 am

Warnie, I agree. (and am also a passionate Essendon supporter)

I also think that some of the Essendon players that “took” a season off will be hungry to make amends for missing last year.

Locked and loaded. (although it is only December)

2. Roger

December 26, 2016 at 9:34 am

I don’t think he will get as much midfield time as those prior years as they will rotate the likes of parish and z.merrett in there a bit more.

• Euman

December 26, 2016 at 10:36 am

This is my concern also it is a no from me better value elsewhere

3. Matthew

December 26, 2016 at 9:56 am

No, just no. (and this from a die-hard Bombers fan!)

• Euman

December 26, 2016 at 10:36 am

Are you saying no to comment on his mid time? Or just no to selecting him at all?

4. Tbetta

December 26, 2016 at 1:53 pm

Those suggesting he’ll struggle for MID-time – laughable. He’s the best midfielder on this team and yes, that includes the aging Brownlow winner and up-and-coming Merrett.

If dishing out limited midfield time is an issue for Bombers, Stanton to the backline, Watson to a forward flank and Goddard to whatever role suits the team best will be the tonic – Heppell is in the prime of his career and he’ll have every single minute in the middle that he can handle.

Locked until proven otherwise.

Warnie

December 26, 2016 at 4:55 pm

People have forgotten that he is Essendon’s best midfielder!

5. Art Vandelay

December 26, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Maybe he will start slowly, having been out for so long. It will be interesting if the Bombers use the JLT Cup to get all their regular players match fit by playing lots of minutes. I wonder if it is worthwhile to wait a week or 2 in fantasy in case he starts slowly, a lock in Dreamteam. He should make you cash regardless. Is he Captain this year? A big plus for me if he is. plenty of tackles and hard balls to set an example for the team

6. Question

December 26, 2016 at 3:08 pm

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the Bont for next season?

• Marc

December 26, 2016 at 4:13 pm

A lock for me at this stage. Averaged 109 from his last 16 games and will only improve. Fyfe is the same price and a lot will go with him. It’s hard to split them but I’m going with Bont

• Dave

December 26, 2016 at 4:17 pm

lock both

• Dave

December 26, 2016 at 4:16 pm

lock

7. MGPT

December 26, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Heppell is probably the hardest decision for me this year.

Very nice price, huge potential but also one of the most frustrating players in the game. I owned him for all of 2015 and I’ll never forget the way he just cowered and hid as soon as Ben Jacobs went and stood near him. He has Trent Cotchin levels of tag-pussy.

Warnie

December 26, 2016 at 4:56 pm

When I went back over his games, there were a few that stood out… hopefully he will mature into handling at tag this season!

• MGPT

December 26, 2016 at 7:44 pm

I’m hoping the return of Jobe plus the emergence of Zaha and Zerrett should shield him a bit

8. Cody

December 27, 2016 at 4:57 pm

A king from Warnie for an Essendon player is a really bad rating! Avoid like the plague!!! Remember 2 years ago when Warnie gave Bellchambers an Ace? Rofl