Calvin's Captains

Calvin’s Captains – Rd. 4

Here we go again, the best captains have dropped… who are you going with this round?

For the full-extended version of Calvin’s Captains and my Top-10, join the crew and click the link below. One again, thanks to everyone who has supported us in our journey to make more and make better content.

Calvin replies…

Hi guys – I’m writing in blue, hello there, how are we all? I’m a busy Cal these days so I thought I’d respond to a couple of questions/comments in regards to the following comments made last week in the round three edition of the greatest Captain’s article in the Fantasy world. I won’t be responding to these again as I think these explanations should cover it all. If you are still confused or upset after my explanations… I’m sorry, but I actually can’t help you anymore. All we ask is that you just stay kind and stay respectful.

DanQuick question in regards to your patreon…are you guys not sponsored by the afl with with your fantasy content? Or is the patreon stuff purely just an added money booster for ya? That’s not a dig either. I think I and few others are confused by the move behind a pay wall (yes I know there is still some free content provided too), as you guys have increasingly become bigger and bigger in the footy world with more afl ads on podcasts, more traders marketing all over the place, more air time, news time etc. But this patreon switch threw a massive spanner in the works, as it’s not what most people are accustomed to for people getting on patreon in the first place. Just curious that’s all. Thanks for the content anyway guys.

Hi there Dan, no dig taken at all. 100% all good. Between the three of us, we have five kids and three young families. We work three jobs as teachers, coach our kids’ soccer, basketball and football teams. We take the kids to swimming lessons, dance lessons and taekwondo as well. We have cut back our teaching hours, with the aim of creating more and better content than we ever have before and patreon allows us to do this. By reducing our workload as teachers, we are taking a massive risk… hoping that patreon can cover some of the loss.

Yes of course the AFL pay us, but their budgets are tight and they didn’t really want to embrace some of the “extra content ideas” we wanted to try and patreon allows this to happen.

We work hard. We have worked hard now for 17 years and because of that, and the fact we want to make elite Fantasy content and create more and more… the patreon exists for those legends who want to buy us a pint or a pot ($5 or $10 a month, for us to share, that’s 190mls each for a pint of beer each) to say thanks for the new stuff, along with the old stuff we have been doing for many years.

The people who have signed up to the patreon have loved the new stuff we do from the Sunday Night LIVE Shows, extra podcasts, Jaiden’s stats, new/weekly articles etc… and I have not read one negative comment about the extra work and extra content we have been provided.

Cheers mate, hope this addresses your concerns.

And now the “plug”… if that makes sense to you (and anyone else), and if you’re still reading and you’d like to get involved, click the link, join the crew and thanks!

Dez These guys have been providing good, free content for ages. As they get a bit older, with families, time becomes a lot more valuable and it would have to be very hard to dedicate all the time and effort for little in return… There should be no questioning the motive behind charging a little bit to access premium content. They’d be making a little from the AFL, but not enough to justify all the time and energy that it would take in providing this content week in, week out.

Well said Dez. You are 100% on point (or on pint as we say in patreon land). Thanks for your understanding. Key words up there… “premium content” – that’s the goal, cheers!

VigIs Dunk’s score enough to use on a VC loop?

Shit… I really hope you took it! Sorry I didn’t see it sooner! Ha ha… hit me up on twitter (@CalvinDT) to get quicker responses!

CALVIN’S CAPTAINS TOP-5

#1 – Sam Docherty v NTH @ Marvel, FRI 4:20pm

North are so easy to score against and last week we saw Hawthorn’s Moore (132), Sicily (132), Day (128), Hardwick (115), Newcombe (104) and Scrimshaw (104) all having a day out against them… together they took 68 marks! If Doch can get involved in this, he could be massive. Coming off 136 he is set to do so…. he had 100 when he played the Roos last year. He’ll be a popular VC option that could be anything from 100 to 140.

#2 – Brodie Grundy v WCE @ Optus, SUN 5:20pm

Rucks v West Coast this year … Darcy 128, Flynn 110 and Comben 80. Done and dusted. Expect a 120+. Grundy even had 106 last week as the solo ruck for the Demons with Max Gawn sitting out. You don’t need a crystal ball to see how this one plays out.

#3 – Josh Kelly v ESS @ Marvel, SUN 2:10pm

Kelly plays under the roof where he has averaged 117 in his last six games and last week St Kilda’s Crouch (122), Wood (118) and Ross (117) didn’t struggle against the Bombers. He is running hot after his concussion and didn’t miss a beat last week when he returned in style. And yes… I’d be going him over Oliver this week If I had the choice.

#4 – Andrew Brayshaw v ADEL @ Adelaide Oval, SAT 1:45pm

Adelaide give up plenty and I’ll look past his 90 last week and spend more time looking at this match-up and the 120 he had against them last year and 111 and 106 before that. Brayshaw is a jet, still averaging 108 for the year and should be massive here. Shaping up as my fall-back captain.

#5 – Brad Crouch v GC @ Marvel, SAT 7:30pm

Suns are the #1 easiest for MIDs and Brad has never played the Suns without hitting a 100+ score. No joke. He had 122 last week and in my opinion, he is a safe 115+ without breaking a sweat. No one has him… I get that, but maybe we should… he has averaged 108 this year and last year went at 117 in his last seven games.

Where’s Clayton Oliver?

I have my concerns yes – His form is great…. 111, 149 and 124. But for some reason, West Coast have been tough to score against this year. Oliver’s recent record against the Eagles isn’t great either with scores of 91*, 67* and 93 (* games played at Optus).  I also expect the big Ginbey to stand next to him at stoppages as well, like he has done to other this year. Look… I could be wrong, but history says that he needs to be avoided and last week I flagged the same about Laird and Brayshaw. Surely he’s great anyway!

Harry Sheezel… against Carlton isn’t the Hawks. They are one of the hardest to score against. We have better options. Touk Miller could also cop a Windhager tag but he has been struggling anyway.

The best of the rest….

JACK MACRAE – 130 against the Tigers last year and loves the MCG with previous scores of 107, 130, 120, 138, 113 and 135.

TIM ENGLISH – Not a bad score this year. Easy fall back captain option.

DARCY PARISH – Docherty (39) and Cripps (42) racked up against the Giants and so will Parish. Had 120 last week.

CALEB SERONG – Hot form scoring 127 and 115, this match-up suits him again.

STEPHEN CONIGLIO – Averaging 123 in his last six against the Bombers. This game could get ugly (but beautiful at the same time).

TIM TARANTO – Good match-up against the Dogs who give up heaps. Dunkley 116 and Neale 104 ok against them last week.

CALVIN’S CAPTAINS EXTENDED VERSION HERE

Do you need a Captain? Then Calvin will help you out. Don't want a Captain? Calvin will tell you anyway. The man who digs deep into stats will help you pick a great captain and give you plenty of Fantasy advice. Follow him on Twitter: @CalvinDT

Notify of
guest
Inline Feedbacks
Pete
Pete
1 year ago

So based on comments above would you trade in Jelly or Clarry this week?

Warnie
Admin
Reply to  Pete

Kelly for me! And I’m doing it.

Pete
Pete
Reply to  Warnie

Thanks Warnie. Sick of all the negative comments directed at you guys.

Sophia
Sophia
Reply to  Pete

I even have made $17,180 only in 30 days straightforwardly working a few easy tasks through my PC. Just when I have lost my office position, I was so perturbed but at last I’ve found this simple on-line employment & this way I could collect thousands simply from home. Any individual can try this best job and get more money online going this article…..
Apply Now here—>> https://Workathomee33.blogspot.Com

Balsam
Balsam
1 year ago

Interesting comments from Calvin… I appreciate the idea of the boys trying to make some extra coin, but I think they should be doing that by providing new content rather than diluting content that has been around for a long time. The Sunday podcast is a good example… wasn’t there before, and if you want extra, you pay for it. Taking existing content like Calvin’s Captains or the rolling 22 and giving less than people have had for years unless they pay for it is a poor choice and will lose audience (IMO).

They also still appear to have gambling sponsorship, which detracts from their credibility…

Trey
Trey
Reply to  Balsam

What are you on about you nuffy!

Warnie
Admin
Reply to  Balsam

Balsam, some fact checking … and some explanations.

a). Calvin’s Captains is a popular part of the site and the decision was to make that a bigger and better offering on Patreon was part of the strategy. It is a lot of work. You get a top 5 here – yes, a cut back offering from last year, but if you want the extended research – which Patreon members will attest to being a great experience, then you’ll have to sign up … or do your own research!

b). Everything else is either new, or has a regular weekly place on Patreon. Rollin’ 22 is here once a month for free (greater frequency than last year), but is weekly on Patreon. Same goes for the Scale of Hardness (once a month here for free, weekly on Patreon).

c). Gambling sponsorship? I guess you’re talking about the product on the AFL website. This is run by the AFL, not DT Talk. We have had wagering partners here in the past, but we don’t currently have any partnerships on DT Talk.

d). While CCs has copped a hit here, there is a heap of new and free content on DT Talk – PLUS some of the stuff the community loves from over the years.

It appears that your biggest gripe is that you aren’t getting the same Calvin’s Captains experience as before. I am sorry about that, but we are comfortable with how we have put together our model of content in the Fantasy footy space.

Hope that clears it up for you.

brian Smith
brian Smith
Reply to  Warnie

I’m still getting my head around the Patreon move, but I think you’ve done the right thing. And I love the way you have engaged calmly with the (sometimes vitreolic) naysayers). That in itself is almost enough to persuade me to sign up.

Malcolm Smith
Malcolm Smith
1 year ago

I almost never comment but I felt obliged to here. For all those complaining about paying for what was once free just be thankful for all those years. You know what you get for nothing, well usually nothing but instead we got information and at times entertainment. Time for these guys to get some payback. Umpire’s call, play on.

Warnie
Admin
Reply to  Malcolm Smith

And the beauty is, with any freemium model, is that you still get plenty of stuff for free. If you want more – and feel like you want it that bad (even to the case of commenting and whinging about it), you can can pay a small price for it. If it’s too much to pay, the market will decide it. We’re comfortable with what we’re doing – based on about 5 years of research and wanting to do it for that long.

I don’t think anyone who has subscribed is disappointed with what they’re getting. We sold it as a beer per month. People are are always saying they owe us a beer for our work… so we went with that.

Thanks for you support!

Baldrick's boys
Baldrick's boys

Nice write up Cal.
No need to explain yourselves – having some paid content completely makes sense & anyone who thinks ‘everything should still be done for free’ is being pretty naive to how the world works these days imo…
Tbh given how long you fellas have been putting smiles on faces you probs deserve some pint-back-pay! Especially the PODs from the covid season ha ha 😆
PS I bloody love the new content – keep up the awesome work legends!

Johnny V
Johnny V
1 year ago

No issue with the new paid content model (keep up the great work!) but there are a lot of kids using this site so I suggest promoting payment by beer isn’t set a great example.

nanny state
nanny state
Reply to  Johnny V

this is a new one. 😂

Dan
Dan
Reply to  Johnny V

Yeah let’s hide everything that only adults cognitively consider something that can have negative connotations. It’s not like that’s backfired in every facet of society and history. These kids you speak of need context, not having everything hidden from them, because that’s not about safety, it’s adults too lazy to explain something.

Jason K
Jason K
1 year ago

Docherty!!!! My captains kill me each week!

ian
ian

Macrae or Grundy as Captain

Jay1
Jay1
1 year ago

Surprised to comments are not closed off on this thread :)

Warnpig
Warnpig
1 year ago

Unfortunately, this is looking to spell the end for the team at Dreamteamtalk. Free content down the drain, and the comments/approach from Warndogga just turn people off.

Warnie
Admin
Reply to  Warnpig

You’ve read my comments as a poor approach? I think you made your mind up before that. The free content on DT Talk is great. CCs may not be what you had before, but the other stuff – including the extra new content for this season – is at an awesome standard.

Check out the Patreon, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Dan
Dan
1 year ago

Shit, I completely skimmed over the first part to get to the captains last week and didn’t see the questions and replies.

Cheers for the detailed response Cal. Granted I haven’t been around as long as a few of the other fans, I do think it’s important that the demographic know about you (obviously without giving too many personal details away lol). You guys have done remarkably well in this space over the past few years on the back of being relatable blokes, and not fake personas that are rife in other media areas, including the AFL. Keep it up, because it’s definitely working. My earlier statements came of the back of believing that the AFL were finally giving you 3 the recognition you deserve and paying you accordingly. Obviously that assumption was wrong, that’s why the patreon thing was confusing before the explanations. But weighing that up against the financial risks you are all taking, to balance that out with other work and family is a good thing and I really do hope it works out well for you 3. I feel like the detailed responses that have now been laid out over the past couple of weeks have given your fan base a solid and relatable foundation of understanding and we all know you better for it, which in turn should strengthen support, make it grow and certainly make it far more enjoyable.