The Thursday Scramble

The Thursday Scramble: Round 15

All the players are back from Holidays, but that doesn’t mean it gets any easier! Let’s Scramble

The Byes are behind us but that doesn’t mean much!  Things are just as hard now as they were before as we have injuries, suspensions and underperformers to deal with still. We may have more premiums to choose from but choosing the right ones never gets any easier. We have just 5 more rounds until most leagues start their finals and just 9 more rounds to make our run to be number 1!  Let’s Scramble!

More Ruck Issues

This season the old Set and Forget went out the window a while ago and we have been playing Ruck Roulette for a while now.  This week we have more issues to work around but the tough bit really is finding two ruckmen that are actually fit and able to play this week! Many of us thought we had our benches covered with guys like Sam Hayes, Brynn Teakle, and Braydon Preuss but sadly all have gone missing recently.  Without going through who you should actually pick as you all have different sides, here are a few of the different strategies that you could employ to get you back on track and my thoughts on the guys that are missing.

The guys missing….

Max Gawn – still listed as being 2-4 weeks away.  If the Dees can get a few wins on the board without him and get closer to locking in the top four then they are likely to give him all the time he needs so he is right to go for finals. I still think he will be closer to the longer end than the shorter and I also think they will limit his time and put him up forward when he returns given they have Jackson. So I would be trading Max if you haven’t already.

Tim English – Incredibly unlucky to cop that concussion on the weekend. He certainly didn’t look right after that big tackle from Preuss. He is listed as 1-2 and I won’t be surprised whatsoever if it is the 2 weeks. Unlike the Dees though, the Dogs are still fighting for a spot in the 8 and they will need their big man back. I will be holding English and swinging him up forward and putting him on the bench there so that he can be a bench loop donut option for you this week and it gives you more options for backup.

Braydon Preuss – This guy is the gift that keeps on giving for us this season, this is his third suspension and I think it is his second injury of the year. Word is that he will return after his suspension, but do you really want to take the risk?  The odds on him playing the remaining 8 games after this week off are fairly minimal based on the evidence we have so far. If you can use him as a stepping stone to get up to one of the guys that are more reliable and are likely to play then that is what I would be doing.  I traded him out a while ago and have no desire to bring him back.

Just a word on Brynn Teakle in case you missed it he is going to miss up to 8 weeks (so basically the rest of the season) with his collarbone injury. You can keep him on your bench though given his Fwd/Ruc eligibility so you can manouvre guys like English around.

So What should we do?

Well as I have said above, I would trade Max and Preuss but I would hold English if you can. In AFL Fantasy of course we have our two trades per week and you could look to trade out English given he is likely to be two weeks away. This is an entirely valid play given we think he will be likely to miss more than 1. The only caveat I would put on that is that just beware that there will be other carnage coming and you may not be able to get him back in when you want. So just be completely prepared for that.

There will be the temptation to trade out English or Max down to a cheaper ruck like a Jackson, Draper, Hayes (if named) or even Chol. If you do that you can use your excess funds and deploy them elsewhere to upgrade someone else. Just remember that when it comes time to get Tim or Max back in, you will need some cash from somewhere. So have your plans in place on how you are likely to do that.  The ideal situation of course is that the guys you bring in will rise in value but we know that isn’t always the case.

In trading these guys out my aim will be to bring in someone like Sean Darcy or dare I say it, Reilly O’Brien (who is averaging 90.2 and is the 4th best on average). Someone that you are happy to run with for the rest of the season and then if something else happens and you can get English back in the do so, but you will need the cash to come from somewhere.

Darcy Cameron will be a very popular choice to bring in as he is having a stellar run (after I said he wasn’t going to be any good, that aged really well!). He would be one that you could most certainly bring in, but just remember, Brodie Grundy is only 4 weeks away and when he returns I expect Cameron’s scoring to go back to its previous levels.  Scott Lycett is targetting the 9th of July for a return in the SANFL so his is still at least 4 rounds away as well.

So in summary….. what I would (and will) be doing.  Trade Max, Trade Preuss, Hold English, Bring in Darcy or O’Brien, Use the cash you make if it is a downgrade elsewhere to make your team better.

The Run Home

Early in the year we use Cal’s Scale of Hardness as a bit of a guide for who we should look at and who has a good run in the coming weeks. The closer we get to the end of the year the more important it gets as teams play less other sides and things aren’t as even.

A few articles have been around that assess this (I am sure they stole their info from Calvin) and Adelaide are the clear winners with two games against North (one this week) and one against West Coast in their last 9 games.  This should mean that if you don’t have other issues to deal with (which would be unlikely) then you should be targetting Crows and Laird would be the number one target on my list (if I didn’t have the aforementioned other issues to deal with). He is having a great season and if he didn’t hurt his hand in the preseason he would be in plenty more teams than he is right now.

So I would implore you to look at the Scale of Hardness and any other articles out there that concern themselves with looking at how hard a team’s run home is. It can help you gain some valuable points on the run home.

Not Again Butters!

Butters just can’t stay on the park this year, he keeps having collision injuries that are derailing his season. But I would rather a player have a collision injury than a soft tissue one. He has an MCL strain at the moment and is apparently out for just the one or two weeks with a bit of luck. However, I am still going to trade him out.  And I can hear it now, But you are saying to hold English and he could be out for 2.  However, we know that Butters hasn’t been the most consistent player this season and many of us were looking at him as our first upgrade once we had a fully upgraded side and had no rookies on the field. This is the prime chance to make this change! I will be trading him out as this is one of those injuries that could drag an extra week and even then when he comes back there is no guarantee that he will score well.  The annoying thing is that he had a great first quarter against the Swans and was on track for one of his better scores.

Things to Remember

• Draft players…. Wake Up…… You are back on!  If you didn’t play the byes you may want to check your teams for any injuries that have occurred in the last three weeks and adjust your lineup accordingly.
  • Just 5 more games til League Finals start. Get those wins and lock in your spot. Assess your opponents and it may affect your trades.
  • There will be more injuries. So those in the Trade Limited forms of the game, don’t go blowing those trades on just anything. You will need them on the run home.

This is going to be a testing time for coaches as we come out of byes with a few injuries and a few of our bench players either being the sub, injured or just not getting a game. You may have to just ride some of them home as you deal with some bigger issues!

I will try and get a Scramble out for you next week but it may be a shorter one, sorry in advance.

Have a great weekend and enjoy having 9 games of footy back again.  Oh, and get your tickets for the Traders Live and I hope to have a beer with some of you at the Adelaide shows!

A passionate Port Adelaide Fan who simply loves footy! That is how I would describe myself. Catch my weekly article "The Thursday Scramble" with all the last minute things to think about for the weekend Follow: @pkd73.

1. pendles4brownlow

June 23, 2022 at 7:40 am

Nobody should say anything against trading Butters, as opposed to keeping English. Butters is ‘Soft as’; he is injured every other week, and while it does not usually end with a week off, he always stops scoring. This is a great time to get rid of him. Earlier would have been better, but there were other issues, and fools like me thought he would improve. He has not and likely won’t. He will spit out a good score to keep fools interested and then get a bruise on his arm and stop playing after 40 points the next.

2. Roger

June 23, 2022 at 7:54 am

I have Preuss (Ruck position), English and Butters so actually holding Preuss as hoping Sam Hayes plays

• James

June 23, 2022 at 4:30 pm

highly unlikely tbh, especially if rain is on the radar

3. Tom

June 23, 2022 at 9:05 am

Trade Lloyd, hold Zorko and field Wehr this week as cover? Or trade Zorko and hold Lloyd? BE 118 and definitely going to lose cash

• pendles4brownlow

June 23, 2022 at 9:37 am

You are going to lose cash or points. Even when Zorko comes back, is he going to improve his scoring? He is very inconsistent. You are best off trading Zorko and bringing in a top 6 Def if you can afford it. Zorko is not, and will not be a top 6 Def. Neither will Lloyd this year, but he is more likely to score >70 than Wehr.

• Tom

June 23, 2022 at 9:44 am

Yep that’s true. Zorko isn’t any better than Lloyd really, averages are similar. I’m looking at Zorko to Parker via DPP

• pendles4brownlow

June 23, 2022 at 1:06 pm

At least with Parker, you are bringing in the current number 6 fwd, so he should be a keeper.

4. NP

June 23, 2022 at 10:05 am

Hold preuss and downgrade a rookie for cash next week, or go preuss to a more reliable ruck.

Trying to minimise trades in the ruck to complete my team.

Currently going:
    Butters>Jackson
    Preuss>Nankervis

Holding English fwd which would complete my fwd line, Nank has decent form and has an easy rucking run home, Jackson can hopefully be upgraded in a few weeks to gawn or grundy to complete the ruck line.

Just feel so uneasy with Darcy, ROB, Witts – anyone else thinking Nank?

• B

June 23, 2022 at 4:52 pm

I brought in Nanks @ R2 after his bye.
      Mostly because I liked his month of opponents.
      He is better than any rookie rucks.
      Keep in mind that I’ve only got Daicos M8 as my only onfield rookie. The rest of the team is sweet.

5. Doug

June 23, 2022 at 10:19 am

1 – Titch
    2 – Wines
    3 – Merrett
    4 – Himmelberg + cash

• pendles4brownlow

June 23, 2022 at 1:03 pm

None of them will be top 8 mid or top 6 fwd (in Berg’s case). Berg has a BE of 22, so he will make money, but he is a risk. Titch, Wines & Zerrett are performing well below previous years, and they don’t look like reversing their fortunes. They all have BEs higher than their averages, so you could easily hold of them and see which one turns things around quickest. Even if they turn it around, they won’t go up in price by much, definitely unlikely that they would go up by more than Berg. Remeber, though, that Berg is only a stepping stone, like the others. It is getting late in the season to waste trade on stepping stones.

• BestowedMisery

June 23, 2022 at 4:53 pm

6. Dan

June 23, 2022 at 11:18 am

I really need a forward to avoid playing Callow on field this week.
    Could you please rate these 2 options:
    ( Hold zorko) Butters to Jackson and De koning to Toby Greene or Issac Heeney.

Or Butters to Jackson and Zorko to Luke Parker

Thanks!

• pendles4brownlow

June 23, 2022 at 12:53 pm

Option 2

• BestowedMisery

June 23, 2022 at 4:54 pm

Yep, option 2.

7. Kate Chaney Indp

June 23, 2022 at 11:38 am

Preuss is an absolute bum and should go

• Dulcify

June 23, 2022 at 12:58 pm

I agree that Preuss is a bum and he should be Wiped from all teams.💩

8. Nateo

June 23, 2022 at 12:01 pm

Who goes have Pruess, English and Butters. Possible have a donut if Windy isn’t named :( no i don’t have Cameron YES I KNOW…

• pendles4brownlow

June 23, 2022 at 12:51 pm

Depending on whether you have an active Fwd bench, you could bring in Cameron for Butters and trade Preuss to Jackson. Then switch Cameron with English and put English on your bench, hopefully with a decent scoring cover.

9. Phteven

June 23, 2022 at 12:01 pm

I’m down to my final 2 rookies on field. Which to keep out of Wanganeen Milera or Hobbs? Hobbs most likely stays.

• Pill

June 23, 2022 at 12:47 pm

Have to keep Hobbs, has a great matchup this week against the Eagles! Should kick a couple and get a 65 minimum. Wanganeen-Milera JS been poor lately and a much tougher matchup against the Swans

10. Mick Owens

June 23, 2022 at 2:30 pm

Parish OUT

• BestowedMisery

June 23, 2022 at 4:57 pm

No one has him in their team. So, all good.

• Deathadders22

June 23, 2022 at 5:15 pm

You are wrong again squeezer, 4.9 percent of the comp have him. Have a look and do some studies before opening your trap.

• Phteven

June 23, 2022 at 5:45 pm

I love it when you insult random people on social media. Feel free to insult me oh learned one!

• BestowedMisery

June 23, 2022 at 5:56 pm

Seems like you have your head too far up your own arse loving the smell of your own 💩

Why are you still here life loser?

11. Andy

June 23, 2022 at 3:07 pm

Good read cheers. Preuss/Butters >> ROB/Parker and 90k for me. As tempting as cash is for other upgrades, this should ensure I’m closer to getting Max back when it’s time

12. Russell Pindick

June 23, 2022 at 3:10 pm

Joel Jeffrey gone for the season

• Russell Whopperchopper

June 23, 2022 at 4:22 pm

Curses. Been a solid cash cow on my bench.

13. Phil

June 23, 2022 at 4:43 pm

Is Gawn and Butters to Jackson and Brayshaw a good play? Will cop a donut in the ruck but think captain (Oliver, Macrae or Brayshaw) can make up the difference.
    I can also get Laird but think the ceiling of Brayshaw slightly edges him in front (short of Mills, and have Neale, oliver and Macrae already)

• Hugh Mungus-Wanga

June 23, 2022 at 4:50 pm

I like Gawn to Jackson plus Butters to either Brayshaw/Laird

14. John1

June 23, 2022 at 6:51 pm

Taranto or Treloar for degoey?