The Thursday Scramble

The Thursday Scramble: Round 11

One week left before the byes, what is your trade strategy?

Here we are, one week to go til the byes and after this week we are just about at the half way point of the season. How is your team shaping up? Hopefully you are steaming towards a fully completed team with the byes all planned out.  You’re not?  Well I am very confident you aren’t alone!  Just a few thoughts for us this week as we head to the last round before the byes.

What do we do with this week’s trades?

This can often be considered a bit of an odd week of trading because we know the byes are just one week away and whoever we trade in this week will be missing for at least on of the following three rounds. There are a few options on what you can do with your trades this week as you prepare for round 12.

Double Downgrade. You could do a double downgrade and build yourself a Warne Chest to allow yourself to do a couple of upgrades and just the one downgrade prior to R12. Many would say that this leaves you one premium behind everyone else, which is true, however it can also help you as what it would do is allow you plenty of flexibility with the three trades you get before round 12. The concern with doing a double downgrade though is that you are bringing in two rookies just before the all important bye period. We all know that it rookies are just one poor game from getting dropped and we can’t afford to have players missing over this period. So if you do plan to take this approach you need to be sure that this player has great job security and is likely to last at least another three rounds.

One up One down. Just our standard approach that we have been doing all the way along. As we have said all along just go ahead and make sure that you have your byes in mind when you make these two trades. Remember you get 3 trades next week so that means you can fix up any issues before you get to the first bye week.

Clear out your Red Dots. Do you downgrade and upgrade as per normal or do you focus on getting your Red Dots cleared. This is a great approach as if they aren’t going to be a chance to play in the following three weeks then they aren’t going to be any use to us at all. So getting all these guys that aren’t likely to play off the field is a very prudent approach. Not only will they help us get to that all important 18 players it also helps generate us some cash. You don’t need any red dots to act as loopholes because all of the guys on their bye can fulfil that role for you.

Sideswap your underperforming premiums. I would say a big no to anyone that suggests this approach.  Unless you have 30 premiums in your side then you can’t afford to be doing this.  You need everyone you can get and even if they are underperforming they are still playing and hence you can use their points.

Injured Premiums have to go. With every player needed you can’t afford to carry anyone that has an injury, if anyone picks up an injury this week then you simply have to trade them out (unless of course their bye is the week immediately following their injury and they are only out for one week). It could also help you fix up your bye strategy.

My advice?  Clear out Red Dots by doing a down and up if you can. Nothing worse than heading into the byes with a couple of guys on the bench that aren’t likely to get a game.

New DPP’s

After this round we get new DPP players in the games so you need to just keep that in mind. There is a lot of talk about who we would like to have listed as DPP but remember it can be dangerous to predict. However, I think the two that are fairly safe are Bont and Bailey Smith from the Dogs, from what I am hearing they just need to cross the 50m line and they will get themselves forward eligibility.  I will be trading with that in mind, but don’t be surprised if you don’t get what you want!

Apology.

A few weeks ago I gave the advice to not pick up Darcy Cameron. I really hope you didn’t listen to me. He has certainly proven me wrong and is really performing now. With this role he is scoring well and with a bit of luck he will keep this going right through until Grundy comes back to the team.

Things to Remember

• Not all leagues play through the byes but your rankings will still change
  • We get a new set of DPP’s for the byes so you can take that into account in your trading if you are certain of a change
  • Just watch the weather report before selecting captains. The weather is starting to get wet as we saw in Perth and it will be wet in Adelaide this week and this can affect scoring.

I am someone that looks forward to the bye rounds, if you are like me and have set up your side you can make some serious headway in the rankings once the bye rounds start. Don’t see them as a hassle, see them as an opportunity.  Once again sorry for a bit of a shorter scramble, unfortunately I have been quite busy this week but I will see you all again next week when we are down a few players and really having to Scramble!

A passionate Port Adelaide Fan who simply loves footy! That is how I would describe myself. Catch my weekly article "The Thursday Scramble" with all the last minute things to think about for the weekend Follow: @pkd73.

1. Jag67

May 26, 2022 at 6:38 am

Good write up on the different approaches for this weeks trading. Cheers Dunny

2. jjbkeeper

May 26, 2022 at 7:50 am

Still trying to get my head around the bye strategy. My current counts of non-bye players each week are:
    12 = 20 (1 red dot)
    13 = 20 (2 red dots)
    14 = 20 (1 red dot)

Is this good? My plan is to get to at least to get a 2 R12s out and a R13 and R14 in so its:
    12 = 22 (1 red dot)
    13 = 19 (1 red dot)
    14 = 19 (0 red dots)

• Paul

May 26, 2022 at 7:57 am

It looks like a solid option to go that way – if those at red dots that you’re keeping for loophole purposes, it may not be right. I would try to get 22, 20 and 18 for round 12 through 14 if it suits your trade plan and doesn’t compromise team structure post byes

• jjbkeeper

May 26, 2022 at 8:12 am

Thanks, Paul. Red dots are mostly because I have had other priority trades to make each week. They both haven’t played since round 7, so they do need to go. They have proved useful for loopholes though.

3. Paul

May 26, 2022 at 7:54 am

Another great write up, it is always good to read these on a Thursday morning.

Def: Rich, Sicily, Hewett, Zorko, Dawson, Daicos (McCarting, SDK)
    Mid: Neale, Smith, Oliver, Miller, Cripps, Macrae, Hobbs, Clark (McComb, NOD, Mead)
    Ruck: Fawn, Preuss (Dixon)
    Fwd: Dunkley, Coniglio, Butters, Martin, Brodie, Coleman (Durdin, Windhager)
    Cash: 48k

Think I have a few of options:
    Option 1
    Martin and Daicos > Soligo and Cameron, and then using the banked cash to do a downgrade and double up next week with NOD

Option 2
    Martin and Daicos > Soligo and Crisp

Option 3
    Martin/Daicos and NOD > Docherty/Bont (although don’t know if I will be able to swing forward next week) and Soligo

• pendles4brownlow

May 26, 2022 at 8:56 am

The main question you are asking her is Cameron, Crisp, Doc or Bont? Cameron is not exactly cheap anymore, and he carries the risk that Cox will drag his score down. He is a great hold for those who brought him in weeks ago. He has a low BE and should make money, but your other options are more likely to improve your score, so I would do one of them. Bont is the popular choice, because he should get DPP and would then be a top 6 Fwd, but there is risk; he may not get DPP, and he is only just in the top 6 as a Fwd. Crisp and Doc are entrenched as top 6 Defs, and you will need both by the end; however, Doc has the dreaded round 12 bye, while Crisp’s bye is in round 14. Therefore, I would go Crisp.

• John1

May 26, 2022 at 8:59 am

They all are due to go, just depends if you have cover for each line I think, you dont want to be taking the scores from a sdk or a mccomb imo. Id trade out NOD for sure, soligo is a good one to replace hobbs/clark.
      Id rather a score from hobbs/clark over a score from sdk/mccartin so id go daicos to whichever defender you want, doch is the number 1 so far

• Ben

May 26, 2022 at 9:49 am

Option 2. Getting the best rookie this week, and a near-definite top 6 (which Cameron is not)

4. Greg

May 26, 2022 at 8:11 am

What’s everyone’s bye structure like at the moment?

Mine is 8, 11, 11. Is that fine?

• pendles4brownlow

May 26, 2022 at 8:42 am

8, 11, 11 is fine. You will be able to move players to cover red dots on field. Just check your lines to make sure you can move your bench players onto the field to cover the bye players. ATM, I cannot move SHayes onto the park in round 13 due to Gawn and Preuss also playing that round and none of them having DPP.

5. pendles4brownlow

May 26, 2022 at 8:36 am

Always a great article to look forward to, Dunny. Thank you.

I have a bit of a Warne-chest, not huge, but enough to allow me to upgrade at least one player each week between now and the other side of the byes.

The million dollar question is – English or Bont? I know everyone is keen on Bont this week, which is cool. However, for the first five rounds, English was SO good. Yes, Bont is likely to be a top 6 Fwd, but English is currently the 2nd top Fwd, and will only move back to 3rd because of Bazlenka (who I already have) getting DPP. English has been sick and lost weight, apparently, but he only plays the Western Witches Hats this week, and is just as likely to carve them up as Bont. I am considering getting Bont next week. Barring emergency fix ups, I have round 12 sorted, with eight round 12 bye players covering each of the bench spots, with no red dots on field (provided Dixon plays).

The next question is – Is there any chance that Gawn, Preuss or SHayes will get DPP next week, as I could then cover the bench spot with non-playing Dixon? My issue is actually going to be coverage of the round 13 bye, because I have Gawn, Preuss and SHayes, who do not have DPP, so I am pretty much guaranteed to have a green dot on the bench in round 13, which will mean there will be a red dot on field in my Fwds that week, which is really annoying. I know one option is to trade Preuss or SHayes, but Preuss is the number two ruck if English is Fwd and Hayes still has money to make. Initially, I will have to leave Smith in the Mids to ensure I don’t have green dots on the bench in the Mids in round 13.

Round 14 may see me with a red dot or two on field, but I will have at least 20 green dots. I think that after the byes I will have a bazillion Bulldogs in my team.

• John1

May 26, 2022 at 8:51 am

I wouldnt go near English at the moment, as you said hes lost a lot of weight and missed a lot of footy, every chance he comes back and goes 100+ again but hes just as likely if not more likely to struggle a bit and see less gametime because of it, I cant imagine hes left to solo ruck it when hes so underdone so id imagine he plays forward a bit too. I prefer bont, but ill be watching english with him as a target for after his bye. There is less risky players at his price range imo

Gawn preuss and hayes shouldnt be getting any DPP, theyve all been pretty much exclusively in the ruck, maybe consider if you can throw one of them in the utility spot if you need dixon to get in there. Im not a fan of trading out preuss or hayes yet either

• pendles4brownlow

May 26, 2022 at 8:59 am

The UTL spot is no good, because then they are still off the park and their score will not count. They need DPP to be on the park so their score has a chance of counting among the top 18.

• John1

May 26, 2022 at 9:01 am

Sorry yeah I misread, im gonna be in the same spot, kinda sorta maybe hoping hayes has a bad game or something so I have an excuse to trade him out to make it easier for myself haha

• pendles4brownlow

May 26, 2022 at 9:10 am

It’s a first world problem, I know. I will have at least 21 green dots on the field, and only the best 18 score. It’s just annoying to think that I will have 22 green dots, but one has to be on the bench while there is a red sitting on the field.

• Dulcify

May 26, 2022 at 9:29 am

I really like English this week. He will be as fresh as a daisy and be hungry for the footy. His matchup against the Wet Toast Eagles is ideal and I am confident that he will post a three figure score.

• John1

May 26, 2022 at 10:10 am

sounds like youre a braver man than I. I might have a look at him closer if sweet is out and hes solo rucking. Was planning on getting in bazlenka but hearing rumours that he might not be playing so english could be in the conversation if im feeling bold

• Dulcify

May 26, 2022 at 10:19 am

He is averaging 111 John. I traded him out in fantasy, hope to be able to get him back after his bye.

I held him in RDT and will be very happy to have him back. It will feel like I have a free trade.

• pendles4brownlow

May 26, 2022 at 10:45 am

I cannot see the Bulldogs naming Sweet once English returns. He will ruck solo. The only question is fitness. He is up against the Western Witches Hats, so it is the ideal way of getting some match fitness back. I would be concerned against most other teams, but he should be able to ton up quite easily. Bont is no guarantee of a ton. I had him early, but dropped him once he was injured because even a mild hamstring strain for a big guy was going to take more than a week to recover, even without illness. The ideal return date would have been after the bye. However, now that I am considering Bont, I thought about it, and I believe English is a better option. He’s only $25k more and I don’t have to disrupt my midfielders, and I can bring Bont directly into my Fwds next week.

• BestowedMisery

May 26, 2022 at 1:25 pm

I agree with you regarding English. Excellent before getting hurt.
                      If he’s named, he’d be ready to go.
                      I’m keen to get him back soon.

• pendles4brownlow

May 27, 2022 at 12:04 pm

So much for having everyone green. Injury, illness and selections ensure that much more fun is to be had before things are settled.

6. Mark Fawcett

May 26, 2022 at 9:20 am

Not looking too bad. Current bye structure for each round and how many currently to play are 19/16/19 and with those who have been playing only included. Currently looking at trades of Martin/Daicos > Oliver/Cleary leaving me 49k and the team below ranked around 1,000. Slight drop from last week due to Taranto & Preuss not playing. Maybe eve a 190k named rookie instead of Cleary.

Def: Crisp, Zorko, Sicily, Houston, McCartin, Cleary (Stein, De Koning)
    Mid: Oliver, Neale, B. Smith, Petracca, Miller, Macrae, Cripps, Clark (McEntee, Carroll)
    Ruck: Gawn, Preuss (S. Hayes)
    Fwd: Dunkley, Treloar, Taranto, Brodie, Duncan, Coniglio (Hamilton, Rosas)
    Utility: Mead

• Dulcify

May 26, 2022 at 9:33 am

I believe that Taranto will not be playing again this week Mark.😟

• Mark Fawcett

May 26, 2022 at 11:14 am

Read that he was close to playing last week but was just a late call in the week. Fingers crossed he’s good to go. Though doing some research at news, might be right, they might rest as they have their bye next week. Hoping he plays and takes the rest next week.

• jjbkeeper

May 26, 2022 at 12:56 pm

Looks to be confirmed

Amon Buchanan: “Both of them (Whitfield & Taranto) won’t play this weekend. Tim has had a few issues with his back. Hopefully we can get them back after the bye.”

7. pendles4brownlow

May 26, 2022 at 9:21 am

What’s the latest on Bazlenka? A comment in a different section says he is sick. Will he play?

• John1

May 26, 2022 at 9:52 am

been nothing official yet, had someone messaged me yesterday that he missed training with illness. Havent seen the source yet though

8. Jimmy

May 26, 2022 at 12:29 pm

Trac or Andy Brayshaw?
    Cheers

• pendles4brownlow

May 26, 2022 at 1:21 pm

I prefer Bray, as he has only gone under 95 once in his three sub-100 scores, while Trac went below 95 in all three of his sub-100 scores. Both are clearly top 8 Mids, so you should be aiming to get them both at some time. I already have Bray, and he has been very solid.

9. Bench

May 26, 2022 at 1:55 pm

Dunny mentioned above that BYE players can be used for the VC loop… but I thought/assumed that BYE players would be locked out as of the first game of the relevant round? Can anyone confirm

• pendles4brownlow

May 26, 2022 at 2:13 pm

That is an excellent point. Do the bye players all show up as DNP as soon as the round starts? If so, we cannot take advantage of the loop. Bugger!

• Ben

May 26, 2022 at 2:31 pm

Red dots only locked out once their game starts

• Gaz

May 26, 2022 at 4:56 pm

Yeah but they don’t have a game so can’t be treated as standard red dots

• brian Smith

May 26, 2022 at 4:57 pm

I’m pretty sure – Friday night, first bounce, all Bye players are locked. Otherwise how do you work out when their ‘game’ starts?

• pendles4brownlow

May 26, 2022 at 5:00 pm

So – don’t plan to loophole over the bye. Thanks Brian

• Dulcify

May 26, 2022 at 6:10 pm

I am of the belief that all bye players are locked at the start of the last game.

• Red dots of death

May 27, 2022 at 7:35 am

Last game of this round?

10. Lord Booger

May 26, 2022 at 3:09 pm

Petracca or Oliver?

• pendles4brownlow

May 26, 2022 at 5:02 pm

Toss of the coin really, but I have Oliver, and I am glad I got him first. I will try to get Trac at some point, as they are both required

• Pat

May 27, 2022 at 12:00 am

I’ve got Trac. Oliver.. Nup.
        Awesome players though.

11. brian Smith

May 26, 2022 at 5:23 pm

Dunks is main option for VC/C, and if Preuss is out, then I have a loop available. Don’t like Neale, Keays, Gawn, can’t use Macrae & Smith. Leaves me Cripps, Zorko, or I’m thinking Sinclair v NM (no Steele, solid 110 expected), or Parker (coming off 123, RIC is easy for Mids). Any thoughts?

12. PineAppleCrush

May 26, 2022 at 6:19 pm

Should I focus on getting Parker or Bont this week? Feel like both are quality gets?

• Ddevil

May 26, 2022 at 11:12 pm

Green dots

13. Jacko

May 27, 2022 at 1:10 pm

Whats the best option here fellas. Really appreciate the help!

1) Whitfield > Docherty
    Martin > Soligo

2) Whitfield > Doch
    Preuss > Jamieson (Cameron to R2 next week)

3) Whitfield > Wehr