Around The Grounds

Swans v Giants – Scratch Match Fantasy notes

Old mate V8 sat down to watch Sydney v GWS.

It was a 6 quarter slog and although my attention dropped off, I got some big take aways and things that have shaped my team! Check out what I saw as a had a few cans as the GWS Giants took on the Swan in an AFL Marathon.

BIG TAKE AWAYS

NOTE: Game was 6 quarters and that alone doesn’t make sense. Either way, you might see inflated numder for those who took stats, but for me… I went for the “trust your eyes” approach.

Alright, so Calvin whipping up an article on a Friday night (watching 6 quarters) is always a tough ask so Jake Sauce (@jahuayhu12345) gave me a few hot insights along the way.

Isaac Heeney – Ok… the train is rolling and if you haven’t jumped on yet – you better. He played shiploads of CBAs and plenty of time in the middle. He dominated early and had after attending the first CBA and many after he had 35-40pts at the first change. I’ve always been a doubter… but I’m 100% on after this game.

Justin McInerney – Started with the wing role. He look awesome early and we’ve already talked about him as a break-out contender. Priced at 70, he could be an 85, so bump him up your rankings.

Callum Mills – Obviously a no show and the main OUT for the Swans.

Chad Warner – Lots of CBAs and even though he’s priced at 69, he could be even better as he appears to be one of their main men.

Paddy McCartin – as a $271k DEF/FWD, Paddy looked great in defense. Will he be in the best-22? Doubtful… but still, he was great.

Jake Lloyd – quiet… by his standards, but you should be concerned in a practice game in a lead up to the real practice games.

Braydon Preuess – As expected, he shared ruck duties across the game. Flynn was super impressive early and opened the games and started the first two quarters. If you are counting on BP, you might need another plan – but time is on his side. He scored 25ish in a quarter though, but this sharing rubbish is a concern.

Tim Taranto – BANG! Timmy Time was in the middle and one fire. Scored a potential 25-30 in Q1 and ended the half over 50 with ease. Are we jumping at shadows with this time he “should” be spending forward. I bet he makes a lot more teams after tonight’s games.

Stephen Coniglio – ONE OF THE MOST IMPRESSIVE for the game. I won’t say that again. He started in the middle and didn’t stray too far from that spot. Would have scored 30+ in the first with ease. He’s is looking fit and fast and back to the Cogs of old.

Lachie Whitfield – Cruise control mode…. no problems with him as a starting premium defender. He was everywhere and didn’t break a sweat scoring 120+ from four Quarters.

Do you need a Captain? Then Calvin will help you out. Don't want a Captain? Calvin will tell you anyway. The man who digs deep into stats will help you pick a great captain and give you plenty of Fantasy advice. Follow him on Twitter: @CalvinDT

1. Matt

February 25, 2022 at 10:01 pm

How’d Josh Kelly go ?

2. Squid

February 25, 2022 at 10:54 pm

Cheers Calvin and your cabin boy, just one thing………..

I think you’ll find Taranto will definitely be playing forward pretty much full time for the first 5 weeks covering Greene, score poorly over this time and be an excellent pick up down the track at a significantly reduced price. Or so I’ve been repeatedly told as though I’m a special needs toddler.

Thank you for your many years of service, I look forward to you once again donning the parrot and providing your invaluable captain insight.

• Gazza

February 25, 2022 at 11:24 pm

You’re an idiot. Get some credibility

• Squid

February 26, 2022 at 11:33 am

Cheers champ, don’t suppose you have some spare credibility I could borrow for a bit while I try and develop some of my own?

TT was my first picked this year and is going nowhere unless injury strikes, concern about role, “value” etc is borderline ludicrous when you’re talking about an already proven 110+ fantasy midfield stud in ripping nick just coming into his prime available as a forward.

Very similar player to the great Dane Swan except looks less awkward.

As a creature of the open seas I look forward to all the salty tears.

• Mighty Puds

February 25, 2022 at 11:27 pm

Any concerns with Lloyd? Personally not taking him out and still confident he’s a top 3 defender, was only a trial after all and heard he was tagged by de Boer

• Arlo

February 26, 2022 at 1:18 am

They play gws first game…. I’m leaning towards crisp over Lloyd as I think crisp will have a bigger ceiling but Lloyd’s a lock for top 6

• Double Parked

February 26, 2022 at 10:19 am

Better value in the forward line for mine. Have at least 5 premo options ahead of him in terms of upside. Plus he only had 8 CBAs and did spend a considerable amount of time forward so make of that what you will.

• Noah