Fantasy 101

Trent’s Take: Semi Final Match-ups

Last year’s winner discusses how important it is to understand match-ups in Fantasy.

Rowan Marshall demonstrated the scoring power of match ups last week with his dominant scoring display against a ruck less Carlton. The advantage of focusing on match ups are:

1. The comparative scoring boost with a POD.
  2. The limited future games that player has to stuff it up.

The negative of focusing on match ups are the obvious

1. The match up fails due to the game not going as expected and your scoring suffers.
  2. You have the player next week and he returns to scoring 70 (this would be the Silvagni risk, even against the Suns- remember his BE and price are irrelevant at this point of the season).

This week we’ll try and find a name for each game which might be a bit left field, but because of the match give you a leg up, like Rowan Marshall last week.

Geelong V GWS

The big risk is Tom Hawkins 567 K AVG 76. GWS’s backline looks fragile, and Marshall scored 92 and Dixon 85. Overall, GWS’ defence has been solid recently with most high scores coming from opposition midfielders and defence (Tom Stewart and Cameron Guthrie).  GWS is Hawkins’ best team at 80 and he could have a day out.  Isaac Smith is enjoying GMHBA with an AVG of 91 and only one score below 97 (61 against the Suns).

For the Giants, if they get held up in the backline than Perryman, Peatling (as an EME loop), Whitfield and Cumming could elevate their scoring.

Carlton V Suns

Jack Silvagni will be the flavour here and he might go big again, but just a word of warning. If Carlton brings in a ruckmen like McGovern than that should curtail his scoring, but on match ups, ruckmen against the Suns recently have scored: Gawn 109, Jackson 95, McInerney 97, English 87. So Silvagni at 537 K might be worth the risk. Remember there are three weeks to go and Silvagni might be rucking against the Nank and Mumford the next two weeks.

Carlton gives up truckloads of points: Steele 162, Marshall 139, Simpkin 125, Larkey 123, De Goey 120 and it doesn’t matter if they are winning or losing. So, Miller (or Fiorini) as VC is the big ticket in this game.

Richmond v North

Richmond, because of not holding the ball through the middle of the ground, rarely have high scoring midfielders, but because they never tag and allow uncontested midfield ball: opposition midfielders and defenders get big numbers. Look at these scores against Richmond: Brayshaw 156, Cerra 138, Ryan 107, Danger 118, Guthrie 117, Stewart 104. An interesting tid-bit, the last forward to score over 100 against Richmond was Zorko 105, but the last player playing in the forward line was Elliott 100 in R17.  So, load up on Hall and Ziebell in defence, but a smokey would be Simpkin in midfield, but just to throw a left-fielder out there- last year’s scoring dynamo Luke McDonald.

McDonald is 567 K and his last three weeks are 90, 85 and 88 and he looks a better scorer in the run home than Houston and Ridley.  With Richmond you are guessing, but North is not a great either end pressure team, therefore Short could go big.

Adelaide v Port

Port’s scoring profile is remarkably consistent: contested ball with Wines, Amon, Boak and Drew going big and when they win Dixon and the odd forward elevating their scoring.  Port’s defence is scoring poorly as they transition the ball so quickly in order to maintain their forward press game. This means Port’s crumbing forward/mids might have a day out. One of Rozee, Butters and Duursma.

I favour Butters at 543 K after his 88 last week. He is an injury risk and could have a quiet game and many will go Silvagni at the price point.  His 119 in R2 against Essendon is what he can do.

Saints V Swans

The only name which screams out here is Steele as the Swans can be flaky with the contested ball, but Steele never is. The dominant players everyone already has in Mills, Lloyd, Dawson and Steele, and Marshall.  Of all the games this would be the game to avoid a POD, but if pressed, Zak Jones against his old side has upside, he had two low scores after injury but either side are 103, 124, 151 and 123.  At 671 K he is likely to score more than most under 700 K midfielders.

Hawks V Collingwood

Chad Wingard has burnt more fantasy coaches than I’ve burnt toast, but he looked incredible last week.  He was even okay the week before with 86, but his 147 was electrifying. The problem is he can score under 80 which he has done 7 times this year. But a switched on Chad is a 20 possession and 2 goal player.  There is nothing to add about Collingwood as most coaches have Grundy, De Goey, Crisp and maybe one or two of their first- and second-year players. If Collingwood win, I like Elliott. Apart from the late barnstorming Carlton game, in games where Collingwood play well and win and move the ball quick Elliott has scored 80-100, when they don’t, he often scores 50. Not worth the risk for me, but an option for the risk desirous.

Bulldogs V Essendon

At least Ridley’s tagging role on Papley was so bad he will never be asked to tag again.  Both of these sides are an open book when it comes to scoring, but the best POD is Dale 612 K FWD/DEF and with Essendon’s fwd press game not being great there could be plenty of backline ball for either Dale, Williams or Daniel.  For Essendon, with Langford and Heppell out, then maybe Shiel at 616 K is getting back to prime fitness.  But, I think there are better games to get your match up POD’s from.

Fremantle v Brisbane

My man Jarryd Lyons pumped a great score and Fremantle do concede midfield scores. Maybe this is Neale’s week, but he looks banged up and I might jump on Zorko instead, but at 18% he is no POD, but he can score 140 plus.  The slightly lesser POD’s would be Rich and McCluggage. For Fremantle, assuming Brisbane are going to move the ball quickly from the backline, if you listen to Chris Fagan, then Fremantle might have lots of scoring chains beginning from half back.  Apart from the obvious Brayshaw and Cerra, I like Luke Ryan who at 642 K is not cheap but in WA averages 87 and his last OS scores are 107, 85, 111 104, and 90.

Eagles V Melbourne

Normally this is when you load up on Eagles players as they return to WA after a shellacking. Oppostion midfielders score well against Melbourne as they often play one less at the contest: Macrae 138, Daniel, 128, Smith 125, Bont 123, Miller 135, Fiorini 119, Swallow 103.  I sadly am still stuck with Kelly who seems to have a holiday for at least one quarter every game. Gaff had been poor with Yeo and Kelly back until last week, but Kelly and Yeo were poor. It is Russian roulette with the Eagles midfield scoring, and Sheed has yo-yo’d his scoring, but at 667 K he is every chance to go 100 back home. With Melbourne playing an extra behind the ball and the Eagles likewise, this could allow Hurn and May to rack it up also.

Upshot: a disaster last week with Houston, McEvoy, Ridley and T.Kelly and therefore 2205 and slipping back to 2555.  This week will be looking to get one of those four off ground- not sure who, but one of Silvagni, McDonald, Butters or Ryan as I have to fix a FWD hole (hopefully Peatling scores 70 plus and I can remove Houston). Good Luck everyone.

Trent Sutcliffe, coach of 'aluniesheis', won AFL Fantasy Classic in 2020, one of the most challenging seasons to date.

1. The Kid

August 3, 2021 at 7:29 pm

Hi Trent, is it better to go bazlenka/o meara/cerra and save 150k to upgrade sharp next week (I have taranto and salem) or go straight out at fiorini/guthrie/adams etc. Which option is better and who do you suggest?

• The Kid

August 3, 2021 at 7:31 pm

or oliver

• Cino

August 5, 2021 at 8:34 am

Burnt more coaches than I’ve burnt toast. Good line. Is Wingard worth a punt this week. Still pretty cheap.

August 5, 2021 at 8:45 am

He is worth the risk because there is 3 weeks left, but the risk is there. Was he up for the fight after Hawthorn’s week and will that be the same this week.

• Aby Benny

August 3, 2021 at 7:41 pm

seems like you can go two mid pricers (one next week with sharp upgrade) or one expensive and one value pick. Depends how aggressive you wanna be and if you can downgrade a rookie next week. I’d got out of the 3 value options bailey smith, but careful because treloar could push him out to wing.

• The Kid

August 3, 2021 at 7:44 pm

Yep ok thanks

August 3, 2021 at 8:46 pm

Get the best scorer with only 3 weeks left.i like Guthrie and Fiorini.

2. Aby Benny

August 3, 2021 at 7:39 pm

marshall or sidebottom against hawks at utas this week? Ryder might come back this week as well.

• The Kid

August 3, 2021 at 7:45 pm

I think marshall’s scoring isn’t affected too much by Ryder, as he scored 120 thereabouts the week before he went into quarantine. I like marshall over sidey

3. Nick

August 3, 2021 at 8:06 pm

Who goes first?
    Taranto, Ridley, Heeney or Taranto

August 3, 2021 at 8:47 pm

Taranto

• David C

August 4, 2021 at 8:51 am

Hopper out might help Taranto. Heppel out might help Ridley.

• Alex

August 4, 2021 at 3:09 pm

Green and Hopper out surely puts him back in the midfield mix? I’m holding and then sending he or Ridley up next week

4. Brian Smith

August 3, 2021 at 8:16 pm

Clear, insightful, and not something the average punter can see for themselves! Thanks very much for the content!!

5. Sed

August 3, 2021 at 8:19 pm

Hello which option is the best
    1-Houston to Whitfield,rookie downgrade
    2-Hind to crisp/Oliver/Zorko,rookie downgrade
    3Taranto and Houston to Guthrie and Sidebottom
    4-Hind to Miller, Houston to rookie (bianco comes on field)

August 3, 2021 at 8:49 pm

4 and Miller vc or c

• Sed

August 3, 2021 at 8:53 pm

Ok cheers
        Don’t you think hopper out will help Taranto?

August 3, 2021 at 9:35 pm

You can only hope, but Ward and Daniels might benefit just as much.

6. Lewy

August 3, 2021 at 8:52 pm

Hi Trent, great read. Thoughts on best option for points?
    – Bowes to Dale
    – Short to Crisp
    – Crouch to Fiorini, De Goey or Danger? (And which one!)

August 3, 2021 at 9:36 pm

1- Bowes looks off.

• David C

August 4, 2021 at 8:52 am

Bowes might get dropped.

• BzG

August 4, 2021 at 8:28 pm

Fiorini. Numbers speak for themselves. Great matchups: CAR, ESS, SYD and, with Touk, should rack up.

7. Damo

August 3, 2021 at 8:57 pm

G’day Trent! Would you do:

1) T Phillips -> Dunkley/Darcy/Ziebell/Marshall OR

2) Cumming/Ridley/Haynes/Harmes -> Petracca/Wines/Laird/Lyons/Mills/Brayshaw

Thanks heaps, cheers

August 3, 2021 at 9:37 pm

Phillips to Darcy

8. Doug

August 3, 2021 at 9:16 pm

Hey Trent, ended up nabbing Cerra last week as my 2nd trade in, so pretty happy with that. Could’ve been better as it was Haynes out, instead of Cumming, that got me to Cerra..

Crazy idea this week, but I’m thinking of fielding a rook in my 22 again at D6 after clearing my field last week.. It would be Peatling in for Cumming and loopholing Peat/Bianco depending on Friday nights score.. This gives me enough $$ to upgrade NicNewman to Crisp and bank almost $250k for next week??

It’s either that or do the classic downgrade/upgrade with 1 of Newman/Cumming going for Crisp and Bianco out for Peatling leaving me with little cash for next week (when I hope to upgrade Kelly.

August 3, 2021 at 9:38 pm

I did something similar last year and it was my lucky move. I’d go for it. Bianco looks good as a back up.

9. Henry

August 3, 2021 at 9:39 pm

Hey Trent. Have loved your column this season. I’m ditching Taranto. The role change has killed his worth. Which one of these should I bring in: Steele, Lyons, Crisp, or Marshall? I’m thinking Steele unless you can persuade him otherwise.

August 3, 2021 at 9:54 pm

If Peatling scores 70 I will do the same. His shoulder looked a bit dodgy at the end if the game. STEELE is awesome.

10. Ashley

August 3, 2021 at 9:57 pm

Great write up, and brings a lot to consider

D: Whitfield, Laird, Stewart, Mills, Newman, Harmes (Briggs, Bianco)
    M: Merrett, Macrae, Taranto, Steele, Mitchell, Oliver, Lyons, Sharp (Durham, West)
    R: Gawn, Grundy (Reeves)
    F: Hall, Kelly, Zorko, Dangerfield, Hunter, Bramble (Honey, Madden)
    U: Williams
    Cash: 238k

Currently thinking of (have a week off in the cash league)
    Taranto and Sharp to Peatling and a sub 780k mid (Keays, Guthrie, etc.)
    With next week going:
    West and Reeves to any mid and 170k ruck
    Leaving Bramble to be upgraded with Bianco being cashed out at the same time

August 4, 2021 at 8:19 am

Sounds good unless you want to upgrade Harmes, although with Viney out for 2 weeks he might get some more mid time.

11. Chris

August 3, 2021 at 10:10 pm

Trade Taranto or Sharp (on field)?

August 4, 2021 at 8:17 am

Sharp might outscore Taranto- Taranto might go better against Geelong with no Hopper, but sadly we can’t loop him. I have to keep him, but if I had the easy option, i’d upgrade.

12. Tim

August 3, 2021 at 10:12 pm

Hey mate what are your thoughts on Sidebottom this week?

August 4, 2021 at 8:16 am

I sold him a few weeks back and since being made captain he is back in the midfield. He is an option, but I can’t bring myself to do it. I’d rather go up to Zorko

13. Bailey

August 3, 2021 at 10:16 pm

Hey Trent, great read and just wanted your thoughts. I am going HJones to a non playing rookie on bench to loop both Bianco+Bramble with Peatling+West. Which should be my 2nd trade?

Cumming to Titch
    Houston to Bont/Crisp
    Bianco/Bramble to Sidebottom/Marshall
    Taranto to Steele/Miller

Leaning towards Cumming to Titch as Titch LOVES playing Collingwood, and Cumming is not taking many kick ins now as Whitfield takes majority of them, plus only one good game recently

August 4, 2021 at 8:15 am

Houston has not tackled for nearly 3 weeks and only gets handball receives to kick it- him out. Cumming against Geelong might get a few more plus 6’s-

14. Belly

August 3, 2021 at 10:28 pm

Hi Trent
    Crouch to Guthrie/Fiorini
    Hunter to Sidebottom
    Ridley to Rich?

August 4, 2021 at 8:13 am

I am a Fiorini fan, but I’d go Guthrie.

15. Cody

August 3, 2021 at 11:17 pm

hey trent, which option do you think is best
    Neale->Touk/Lyons/Titch
    Cumming->mills
    Ridley->guthrire
    or i can give reeves another week of cash gen and go
    ridley->cerra
    cheers

• Jack

August 4, 2021 at 1:30 am

thoughts on trading houston and cumming to honey and touk and therefore fielding a rook at D6- either Briggs or peatling. or just swap for mid prices and get in silvagni and marshall?

August 4, 2021 at 8:12 am

Get in the big guns- especially if Peatling can nab a 60-70 score on Friday.

• Alunie

August 4, 2021 at 8:13 am

Ridley to Guthrie I think is the greatest point differential

16. Denny

August 4, 2021 at 4:53 am

Hey Trent – great as always

Whats best you feel?

1) Cumming and Bianco/Bramble – Mills and Peatling (bench) and one of Bramble or Bianco will remain on field
    2) Taranto and Newcombe – Mills and Peatling. Next week upgrade Bramble as final rookie for 700k mid
    3) Taranto and Amartey – Miller and 170k ruck (to loop VC). Cumming will be D6 but can loop with Bianco to take best score.

Really its my only week to get Miller and then possibly Mills next week or last week of finals…thoughts pls?

August 4, 2021 at 8:11 am

Miller and Vc is a great option and possible point of difference in your finals.

17. Justin Stitchup

August 4, 2021 at 5:54 am

Awesome read Trent. Do you prefer Titch or Jack Steele for Capt this week?

August 4, 2021 at 8:10 am

Steele I think- he is tackling his way to huge scores.

18. CJ

August 4, 2021 at 7:04 am

Thanks Trent!

Thoughts on who to trade first this week?
    Ridley
    Cumming
    Taranto
    Tkelly

August 4, 2021 at 8:09 am

Tough- you’d think the greatest point differential at the moment would be Taranto and a mid who is more likely to score 100.

19. The Kid

August 4, 2021 at 8:49 am

Hey Trent,

Silvangi and steele/petracca/miller or marshall and guthrie/fiorini

20. Dunny

August 4, 2021 at 9:15 am

Hi Trent,
    who goes first, Ridley, Hind, Cumming, Schoenberg or Bramble?

21. Charlie

August 4, 2021 at 10:26 am

Hey Trent, great read again and some great options in there.
    I’m in a pretty good spot at the moment, team is basically complete with no rooks on field and looking to trade out Ridley or T. Kelly this week. After downgrading Madden I’ll have $192k available for an upgrade, thinking Ridley to Sidebottom via DPP and then having bulk cash to upgrade TK next week, but I think I’ll be able to get to anyone except Touk or Steele. Do you think I would be better doing:
    1. Ridley to Sidebottom this week, then TK to Oliver/Bont next week
    2. Ridley to Butters (or someone around the $550k mark) and then TK up to Touk/Steele for the prelim
    Really not sure which will give me more points now with Sidey back in the mid and butters a bit of a risk!

22. Nathan Grant

August 4, 2021 at 11:24 am

Hey Trent, Was wondering who should I trade away first Taranto, Neale or Ridley?
    Then can afford anyone(like Miller) if trade Taranto or Neale or trade Ridley and get Crisp or trade ROB and get Grundy?

23. The Kid

August 4, 2021 at 11:28 am

Hold or trade salem??

24. Screech

August 4, 2021 at 11:45 am

How r u Trent? I am a T Kelly owner too, who would you trade first out of him and Menegola? They are my weakest links currently. I am torn, with Gola playing the first game and Kelly the last, so I could keep Gola and see how I am tracking over the weekend before pulling the trigger on Kelly if necessary.

Cats have a great run & Wc have two games in a row @Optus. WC play FRE the week after this, who Kelly had 140 on earlier in the season. Both have the potential to ton, but an upgrade to an uber-premium is a win/win.

Or should I keep them both and do a DDG to free up cash to get last rookie off the ground next week? (currently looping Peatling & Macrae for my last position on field). I don’t have enough cash gen on the bench to do that this week…

• Screech

August 4, 2021 at 11:52 am

…on the weekend Gola had his lowest TOG% for the season with 71%. He got Serong’d LOL, spending time on the bench at the start and end of quarters…slight concern as previously, he was spending high 70%-90% TOG. Is there something I am missing?

• Screech

August 4, 2021 at 12:12 pm

Sorry not trying to spam chat, but I noticed Guthrie had about 62% TOG! Is it just a case of Geelong resting their players again, albeit this time mid-game…as they were up against a poorer opposition? I don’t know & the other thing is I can get Gola up to Guthrie…but T Kelly only gets me someone like Whitfield/Cerra

25. llizardofoz

August 4, 2021 at 12:26 pm

Someone tell Roy B/E s are irrelevant at this stage of the season.

• Warnie

August 4, 2021 at 3:45 pm

Not if you’re deciding on giving someone another week… I assume you’re referring to Taranto? His BE can definitely be a deciding factor on your trade. If he continues in this role and you’ve given him “one more week”, well, there goes another $50k.

While I understand your sentiment, they aren’t irrelevant as they paint a picture.

• Albo

August 4, 2021 at 9:12 pm

Amen, you tell ’em Warnie.

26. Fletch

August 4, 2021 at 1:52 pm

Which combo scores more?
    1) Sidebum, Whitfield and Houston
    2) Lyon, Neale and Bianco
    3) Sidebum, Neale and McDonald

• Screech

August 4, 2021 at 2:26 pm

27. Fletch

August 4, 2021 at 2:37 pm

Cheers Screech!

28. Brian Smith

August 4, 2021 at 4:36 pm

I have two rookies on field (M8 – Bianco or Sharp, plus F6 Bramble), I’ll put up with Brodie Smith at D6, and I’ve got Taranto. Rest of Def/Mid/Fwd seem to be ok.
    I’m going to loop Bianco & Sharp – one of them will be decent.
    I can’t trade Taranto + Bramble to two decent players (best is something like Sidebottom + Wingard!).
    So I think my choices this round for trades are either:
    Taranto + bench rookie to Lyons (Bramble on field), or
    Bramble + bench rookie to Marshall / Sidebottom (roll the dice on Taranto)
    Is that a fair summary? Any comments/help before I decide?

• Mighty Puds

August 4, 2021 at 6:24 pm

Have the same issue. Have Bianco at D6 and Bramble at F6 and want to move at least one of them one, ideally both but also have Taranto, Neale, Ridley etc. At the moment have gone Bramble to Peatling and Bainco to Marshall which leaves either Peatling or Finaly Macrae on field as last rook. Or I could do Bianco to Peatling (on field) and then Taranto to Miller. Feel like moving both Bramble and Bianco is what I’ll do currently as I can’t do Taranto and Bramble to players I like as you said.

August 5, 2021 at 8:58 am

At least you can EME loop Peatling as at Geelong he might not get as high a score.

August 5, 2021 at 9:27 am

Like you, i want to get rid of Taranto but sadly can’t easily do so. Under your circumstances option 2 is best, but yes if Taranto stinks it up in the forward line we’ll all be angry. Imagine putting the EME loop on Taranto, is a real option if you have Sharp or Bianco as mids.

29. Weapon

August 4, 2021 at 6:21 pm

Which trade option is best?
    1. Bramble to Peatling and Sharp to Firioni/Oliver/Guthrie/Mills/Andrew Brayshaw (can loophole Peatling score if scores well over Ridley)
    2. Ridley to Marshall and Taranto to Sidebottom (field Sharp)
    3. Taranto to Marshall and Sharp to Sidebottom (field Ridley)
    4. Ridley to Peatling and Sharp to Firioni/Oliver/Gurthrie/Mills/Andrew Brayshaw (field Peatling/Bramble)

August 5, 2021 at 8:57 am

Like 4- and the gamble is on Taranto with Hopper out.

30. Cam

August 4, 2021 at 10:21 pm

Hey trent, 2 to go out of Taranto, Kelly, Bramble and Bianco

August 5, 2021 at 8:56 am

Taranto and Kelly can at least get 2 good players,

31. Jay

August 5, 2021 at 3:06 pm

Elimination final – have 148k in bank before trades
    Team differences with mind on left and we both have Neale and Taranto
    Crisp vs Lloyd
    2) Dale and Oliver/ Fiorini
    3) Fiorini and Ryan
    4) Lyons and 554k def ??
    5) open to other in and out trades

32. Scott

August 5, 2021 at 6:47 pm

“Gaff had been poor with Yeo and Kelly back until last week”… Gaff’s last three games are tons…. this just shows that winning fantasy is way more about luck than knowledge lol

August 6, 2021 at 5:48 pm

I did see the scores, but there were 6 scores below 99 prior the two 113 and 114 scores. Hence his price is still below 700.

33. JMD567

August 6, 2021 at 10:40 am

Hey Trent.
    I have 2 questions really.
    To Trade in Lyons or Fiorini? (Doesn’t matter with amount of Cash I am looking for point scoring. And have heaps of money on bench.
    And which to Trade Out Cumming, Houston, Tim Kelly? Surely Houston turns it around this week.

August 6, 2021 at 5:43 pm

I like Lyons. Houston has been horrific.

34. Reno

August 6, 2021 at 3:19 pm

Hey Trent,
    Quick one
    Taranto & Houston —> Fiorini & Marshall
    Or
    Houston & Newcombe —> Guthrie & 170k bench rookie

August 6, 2021 at 5:41 pm

1, Newcombe of no value any more

August 6, 2021 at 5:42 pm

That should be 2,

35. Mac

August 6, 2021 at 6:08 pm

Hold Kelly if I’m on the bye this week?
    If so, Neale to Lyons and field Peatling or rookie upgrade to Sidebottom (gets rookie off field)

36. Scott

August 6, 2021 at 6:37 pm

who to field? Peatling, West, F.Macrae

37. Jay1

August 6, 2021 at 6:43 pm

Who field out of Sharp or Bramble?
    Have to play one of them.