Fantasy 101

Trent’s Take: Looking for Value

Get the good oil from last year’s winner on some bargain picks.

Hunting for value, especially when you don’t have the cash to just get in an 800K midfielder, is where a lot of our teams are currently at. The aim is to assess some value options and their potential trade in value. I am determining value as a player who satisfies both criteria below (next week we’ll look at the opposite- namely players who are value because of low scores and or injuries):

1. Below 700 K (this is because if you are reading this article, you probably can isolate the top players already).
  2. My projected run home projected average for the player is significantly higher than their current average (or in cases of injury returns- their last 3 or 5 run average) and a low Round 17 BE.

To save time and space if you are interested in De Goey, M. Kennedy, Stringer, T. Kelly, and Yeo then read last week’s article.

Patrick Dangerfield

$671k
R16 149
AVG 90.7
BE 63

Like many coaches who didn’t bring in Dangerfield last week, we were planning of bringing him in this week.  Probably less analysis the better here- just buy him. Geelong play Carlton, Fremantle, Richmond and North and with Danger mainly playing midfield time, it is just an immediate trade in this week. The only danger is his dodgy ankle which got jumped on, so even though he played out the game, if Geelong are cantering to a top 2 spot by the end of the season there is a chance Danger could get a rest. Many will recall Danger resting forward late in the season last year to ease his body toward the finals; continue to monitor Geelong team news.

Jack Bowes

$539k
R16 98
AVG 87
BE 78

Bowes’ 5 game average of 63 is reflective of a defensive role he was employed in (especially when Collins is out) and the 42 he scored against the Lions. The last two weeks he is back to a role much like at the start of the season. And if sides start to put work into Lukosius then Bowes should average around the 90-95 mark. The Suns play GWS, Bulldogs and Melbourne over the next three weeks.  GWS are not known as a front half restricting team with Salem 126, Rivers 90 and May 84 whilst the Bulldogs allowed Tarrant and Hall to rack them up.

Nic Newman

$595k
R16 115
AVG 86
BE 56

The injury to Dochety has achieved two relevant reasons to buy Newman: job security and role. Apart from the GWS game where he scored 48, he has scored 75-115. Upcoming fixtures against Geelong, Collingwood and North should allow for plenty of play in Carlton’s backline. The advantage for the Carlton distributor is that Weitering and Jones who take the intercepts generally are wanting to dish off and this is where Newman can get those easy plus 6’s (apart from kickins). Probably a better buy than Bowes because of his role, Plowman is the third tall and Newman will not playing a lockdown role on anyone.

Adam Cerra

$574k
R16 98
AVG 80.7
BE 80

The upcoming fixtures will be critical with Fremantle potentially having a run of three games at Optus in a few weeks’ time, which makes Cerra a watch. But I think many coaches will look at Fremantle and West Coast players if they start playing at Optus.  T Kelly and Yeo are better options because of their upside, but Cerra is still value if he can eradicate the odd 56 type game he dished up against Collingwood. Upcoming games against Hawthorn, Geelong and Sydney who concede high scores to midfielders before games at Optus (if you have the cash Brayshaw is an option, but he is not massive value- except for his potential to average 110 for the run home).

Lance Franklin

$511k
R16 92
AVG 72
BE 63

I don’t think I’ve ever owned Franklin because of his injury history, but he is value for anyone who loves risk. Sydney play Bulldogs, GWS and Fremantle and maybe Lance’s desire to kick 1000 goals might give him the impetus to score heavily in one of those three games. North forwards looked dangerous with Zurhaar after half time, and Goldstein plus the GWS defence looks shaky with Buckley’s injury.  I couldn’t do it, but he could get 6-8 goals in one of those games and score 130 (he could hurt a hamstring and get 25 also).

Matthew Rowell

$442k
R16 71
AVG 51
BE 59

I thought I’d include Rowell because there might be some coaches who have no cash to upgrade from Byrnes and Poulter, and Rowell should average more than them on the run home. He looked tentative 4 weeks back against Fremantle (48) and also against Port (64) and North (57), but he looked better in both his running capacity and tackling (4). He played 98 minutes of 119 against North two weeks ago, but just looked average whilst against the Tigers he played 103 of 121. I would consider Rowell as a sideways upgrade from a maxed-out rookie if I had limited other options. For example, you could get rid of an under-performing Sidebottom or an injured mid to Dangerfield and instead of dropping from Poulter to Connolly you could go from Poulter to Rowell if it meant not having to field Connolly on ground. The main caveat would be, what will his role look like when Greenwood returns?

Upshot: I was traveling ok with my De Goey and Kennedy trades until Macrae as captain reminded me why I should have VC’d Merrett- them’s the fantasy breaks. 2167 and 1779. This week I am probably going Dangerfield (depending on his dodgy ankle) and a rookie like Connolly or some yet to be named rookie and punting both Poulter and Byrnes. Good luck everyone!

Trent Sutcliffe, coach of 'aluniesheis', won AFL Fantasy Classic in 2020, one of the most challenging seasons to date.

1. Tom

July 6, 2021 at 7:06 pm

Hey Trent,
    Thoughts on T. Phillips – M. Kennedy and J.Billings – J. De Goey? Leaves me with 64k
    Feels like a double upgrade the way Phillips and Billings have gone recently.

July 6, 2021 at 7:09 pm

Both good options, an improvement in both scoring and cash generation. Billings has an Achilles issue which limits his midfield time.

2. Tris

July 6, 2021 at 7:11 pm

Thoughts on Yeo?

• Tris

July 6, 2021 at 7:14 pm

Sorry pressed enter too soon. Thinking Haynes to De Goey and Ridley to Yeo (have way too many defenders)

July 6, 2021 at 10:44 pm

I have Haynes and I am interested in his role change after Buckley’s injury. He is a sell at some point. The collective points are higher if De Giey averages 80.

3. Aluniesheis

July 6, 2021 at 7:12 pm

I like Yeo as a semi premium. He looked the best of the Eagles mids last week. He is a solid 100-105 player. The only concern is his injury history.

4. screech

July 6, 2021 at 7:13 pm

T Kelly Trent?

July 6, 2021 at 10:46 pm

Good option back in WA. Bit like Yeo, think he has more score variability.

5. Tris

July 6, 2021 at 7:15 pm

Cheers thanks mate. Nice article!

6. Aby Benny

July 6, 2021 at 7:17 pm

any concern on danger playing more fwd with cameron out?

July 6, 2021 at 10:47 pm

Yep, team news will be interesting. Will Esava play with Stanley and maybe Danger chops out forward when Esava in ruck.

7. Luc

July 6, 2021 at 7:34 pm

Who goes out first-Hind or Poulter
    Who comes in-De Goey or Danger

• Adrian

July 6, 2021 at 8:03 pm

Poulter goes out with Hind against Crows this week should be relatively easy to score.

I would go Danger because De Goey had 10 out of 23 CBA’s last week which worries me, but then again Danger is riding a dodgy ankle. Personally i would chose Danger but it is up to you and whoever would fit in your team better.

• Aby Benny

July 6, 2021 at 9:10 pm

danger over de goey, depends who you can get to with trading either poulter or hind, but poulter wont drop as much as hind in price.

July 6, 2021 at 10:48 pm

Poulter out and Danger in

8. Burnt

July 6, 2021 at 7:35 pm

Hi Trent
    Considering Highmore to Connelly and Stocker to Newman
    Or
    Highmore to connelly and Kozi to kennedy.

• Aby Benny

July 6, 2021 at 9:12 pm

second because stocker consistently averages more than kozi and more reliable. Kennedy is a good option as well.

July 6, 2021 at 10:49 pm

I think Newman has a higher ceiling

9. Henry

July 6, 2021 at 7:36 pm

Another incisive article Trent. Who do I go to with my 2nd pick: Newman, Stringer, deGoey or a cash cow to build a war chest for next week?

July 6, 2021 at 10:52 pm

Cash cow if you don’t have any, but not many available, other than Connolly. All three are similar, but I like De Goeys game. But strangely maybe Newman now has good JS and likely to score 90. I have De Giey and probably Newman this week depending on Dangers ankle.

10. Burnt

July 6, 2021 at 7:37 pm

Also Tim Kelly next week for around $560k ? Good move?

July 6, 2021 at 10:53 pm

Good buy, BE is 111 so not a must. Even at his best he is 105. Good buy though for the price.

11. Mighty Puds

July 6, 2021 at 7:38 pm

Going Langford to De Goey and O’Brien to Grundy. Thinking this is my best chance to get Grundy and JDG and Langford should be pretty similar from here on in. Have Bianco and Amartey still making cash so don’t want to move them yet. Thoughts?

12. Iceman

July 6, 2021 at 7:47 pm

Petracca or Walsh?

• Aby Benny

July 6, 2021 at 9:13 pm

walsh, has a good run coming up, according to scale of hardness. But petracca has low ownership. I’d go walsh but cant go wrong here.

13. Henry

July 6, 2021 at 7:48 pm

Love your work Trent!

Thinking of going Hind > Danger.

This leaves me with $144k in the bank to potentially make another upgrade;

Weightman > Kennedy ?? (Weightman still to make more cash but Kennedy will surely be a better player over the next few weeks)

Amartey > Kennedy (Same as above but has a lower BE so should make even more cash than weightman)

Cummings > Newman (I feel with Ash being brought back in for GWS Cumming won’t score as much moving forward)

Ridley > Newman (Ridler is doing okay but Newman is better value and will probably outscore him for the rest of the season)

Otherwise, I don’t feel comfotable trading any other player in my team except for downgrading a rookie and banking more cash for next week.

Would love your throughts mate.

• Aby Benny

July 6, 2021 at 9:15 pm

I’d keep amartey over weightman cause of his cash gen. I’d hold cumming over ridley. first trade, as ridley is a premo and your getting a rookie off the field.

14. Chris

July 6, 2021 at 7:51 pm

Looking for value in forward line – thoughts on Matt Parker if he gets a run in the injury riddled Tigers team? 308k.

15. Charlie

July 6, 2021 at 7:53 pm

Who’s your pick out of Kennedy, DeGoey and Newman

• Aby Benny

July 6, 2021 at 9:15 pm

newman

16. Jacko

July 6, 2021 at 7:54 pm

Who would you rather play on your field out of:

Amartey, Bianco and Weightman

• Aby Benny

July 6, 2021 at 9:15 pm

amartey

17. Ashley

July 6, 2021 at 7:57 pm

Def: Laird, Stewart, Cumming, Harmes, Bianco, Idun (Docherty, Madden)
    Mids: Merrett, Macrae, Taranto, Lyons, Steele, Mitchell, Oliver, Newcombe (Sharp, O’Connor)
    Rucks: Gawn, Grundy (Reeves)
    Fwds: Hall, Kelly, Zorko, Hunter, Pendlebury, Phillips (Amartey, Williams)
    Utl: Briggs
    Cash: 143k

Currently thinking Docherty and Idun to Newman and anyone sub 686k (likely Dangerfield or Hurn).

• Changi

July 6, 2021 at 9:32 pm

Good ideas

18. JMD012

July 6, 2021 at 8:18 pm

Hey Trent, ranking took a hit this week, thanks to not VC Merrett and then captaining Macrae. Regardless ranked in 150s so could still end in top 100. No rookies on field now, so Trade outs targets: Markov, Dusty, Greene, Ridley, Houston, Cumming. Not sure who to trade out first initial thoughts were
    1) Markov and Bianco -> Neale or Adams and Bench Rookie
    2) Greene or Dusty and Bianco -> Dangerfield and Bench Rookie
    3) Greene or Dusty and Bianco -> Zorko and Bench Rookie
    4) 2 of Markov, Greene or Dusty -> DeGoey and Dangerfield
    What do you think Trent? Love you work as always, who would be priority, Dangerfield or Neale/Adams?

• Aby Benny

July 6, 2021 at 9:17 pm

dunno about adams, could still be an injury concern and there are probs better options. greene a bit inconsistent as well. I’d hold dusty over greene. I’d go 4, markov and greene.

19. Alfonso

July 6, 2021 at 8:27 pm

Thoughts on
    Prior and Martin–> newman and rowell

• Aby Benny

July 6, 2021 at 9:18 pm

yes to newman, and not sure about rowell.

20. Joe

July 6, 2021 at 8:31 pm

Dangerfield or De Goey? Can’t believe i’m asking this but this is where we are…

• Aby Benny

July 6, 2021 at 9:18 pm

don’t trust de goey scarred after having him start of the year. I’d go danger, but both good opitons.

July 6, 2021 at 11:10 pm

Danger

21. Jay

July 6, 2021 at 8:32 pm

Have only 64k in bank
    Laird/ crisp/ Stewart/ Houston/ Haynes/ Bianco (kos/ sharp)
    Zerrett/ Taranto/ macrae/ Keays/ Whitfield/ Langford/ hunter/ Robertson (Newcombe/ Scott)
    Gawn/ Grundy (treacy)
    Hall/ jelly/ Darcy/ pendles/ dusty/ amartey (Jones/ brockman) – Briggs

1) kos and amartey to de goey and garcia
    2) Houston and Robertson to stringer and de goey
    3) dusty and Robertson to stringer and de goey
    4) dusty and Haynes to danger and de goey
    5) open to other options

• Aby Benny

July 6, 2021 at 9:19 pm

I’d keep amartey for cash gen. I’d go 3 or 4

July 6, 2021 at 11:10 pm

Of those I’d be going kos and Robbo to a rookie and then upgrade.

22. Doug

July 6, 2021 at 9:07 pm

Hi Trent, had the VC on Merrett allowing me to get 2279 which was handy..
    But I still had 6 players go between 65 and 69, with Cumming, Haynes, Daniel, Hunter & Dusty getting a pass for 1 more week. So I’m looking at moving Langford (highest value & highest BE 117) to be replaced by:

1. M. Rowell +180k (allowing for a juicy downgrade/upgrade with Bainco/Amartey next week)
    2. T. Kelly +55k (arguably 150-200k under priced)
    3. N. Newman +25k (back to back 110+)
    4. E. Yeo +17k (loves a cuddle and gone 106+ over 22 games before)

2nd trade is to upgrade ROB (he’s averaged 95 for me) to Grundy..

July 6, 2021 at 11:08 pm

Yeo Kelly or Yeo. All have positive and negatives. Because of my on field rookies I am going Newman.

23. Howie

July 6, 2021 at 9:19 pm

Hi Lads who should I pick out of Grundy or Gawn

July 6, 2021 at 11:06 pm

Intersting- this week is Grundy with Gawn having a BE of 132.

24. londonstatto

July 6, 2021 at 9:30 pm

I’m in desperate need of a defender after having to trade Docherty. What do you think of Bradley Hill – seems to have decent form, low BE.

July 6, 2021 at 11:04 pm

He does this week, but I can’t see Fagan letting Hill run around like he was allowed to against Collingwood.

25. Henry

July 6, 2021 at 9:34 pm

Are these good trades?

Hind > Danger
    Weightman > Kennedy

Really want Newman but I’m about $30k short.

Would you rather trade Weightman to Kennedy now or hold on to Weightman for the cash gen?

July 6, 2021 at 11:03 pm

I’d hold Weightman for a week, although it is probably for about 20 K. Hind yo Danger a winner- depending on all the caveats.

26. Denny

July 6, 2021 at 9:39 pm

Hey Trent, solid as always.

Not sure what to do this week.

McEvoy as R2. Do I trade him or one of Daniel, Cumming (due to Ash), Harmes, Houston or Langford (due to Stringer?) to Grundy.

Other option is keep McEvoy as R2 and trade Burgess and Highmore to Newman and remove Bianco off my ground and have no rookies on field? Other option here is DeGoey but Newman feels more sure.

July 6, 2021 at 11:01 pm

I am holding off with Grundy for a week. I’d go the Newman option. But I am biased as Newman is an option for me also and like you move McEvoy to Def next week.

27. Bailey

July 6, 2021 at 10:02 pm

Hey Trent, great read. So I am wondering because I have the money to go up this week, do I save money and go De Goey or just bring in Mills? Leaning towards Mills as he is guaranteed top 6 defender and has an insanely easy run to finish the year. Or I could go and bring in De Goey and Rowell also but don’t like it as much.

So 3 options:
    1) Highmore to Jacob Edwards (move Amartey from ruck to forward and play him in place of Highmore
    Poulter to Mills

2) Highmore to Edwards
    Poulter to De Goey + 230k

3) Highmore to Rowell
    Poulter to De Goey

July 6, 2021 at 10:58 pm

Mills every time.

28. Tim

July 6, 2021 at 10:06 pm

Hi Trent, imma bit confused on what trades to do this week but I think I’ve nailed it down to 3 options and just intrested to hear your opinion.

1. Trade L.Jones to a 170k and upgrade amartey to de goes or Matt Kennedy leaving me with 2 rookies on field.

2. Do a double downgrade with madden and L.Jones to Garcia and a 170k probably allowing me to get amartey or Bianco out next week for a premium in the 750k range.

3. Downgrade Jones and upgrade one of Houston, Cumming or Daniel to a premium like mills, Mitchell or adams.

I’m currently ranked in the 500s so wondering what move you think will help me climb the ranks and potentially push for a hat

29. Aluniesheis

July 6, 2021 at 10:57 pm

I think in the next round or so you want to stop brining in under priced premiums. You want to start downgrade to a rookie and upgrade a player like Kennedy to Zorko. For me this is my last week of getting an under priced player.

I like 3. Daniel’s role is not high scoring and Dale is now doing it.

30. Jack

July 6, 2021 at 11:18 pm

Oliver, adams, Neale, petracca, cunners, Dunstan or Simpkin. Who do u think averages the most for the rest of the season

July 7, 2021 at 12:21 am

On form maybe Adams, but really the top 3 look good, but Neale if fit just over Oliver.

31. Cam

July 7, 2021 at 1:38 am

Hey Trent, Should I just automatically be bringing Danger in…. OR maybe bit of extra value in Newman?
    Loving them both from here on, have three spots left to upgrade, all Def/Fwd spots and with some dual position status’s doesn’t really matter which I get from a structure point.

July 7, 2021 at 1:00 pm

Lots of Newman v Danger and i depends on where your holes are- plug up the biggest hole with either.

32. Brendan

July 7, 2021 at 3:50 am

My team is virtually complete.
    Dustin/L.Hunter/ROB is my worst player.

I traded Oleg & Cumming for Danger & Lloyd.

At this stage I just want to maximize points.
    Do you think Newman is a better scorer than Lloyd?

Cheers.

July 7, 2021 at 12:59 pm

I think so, Lloyd is sharing the defensive role and the Swans are just playing faster out of D50, so i think he averages 95 whilst Newman if fit should average more, but he is more risky. He was the sub 2 weeks ago, so he is buyer beware whilst Lloyd is proven. So it depends on your appetite for risk.

33. Campbell

July 7, 2021 at 3:53 am

Hi Trent , Bit confused with what to do with my trades this week
    Any Help would be much appreciated,

DEFs: Hall, Crisp , Stewart, Cumming , Houston and Bianco/Briggs

MIDs : Macrae, Parish , Taranto , Zerrret , Titch , Walsh , Oliver and Bramble/Newcombe

RUCs : Gawn , Grundy

FWDs: Zorko , Kelly , Hunter , Martin , Stringer, Amartey

Was think of going Cumming and Dusty to Hurn and Newman

Great Article Cheers

• TradingTops

July 7, 2021 at 4:57 am

I like Trent. He is an absolute gentleman. Going to go against him and the De goey fans and back in Lachie Neale. The best run home and he needs games. Yes its risky but no more then any of Trents picks

July 7, 2021 at 12:56 pm

Hurn keeps scoring well, and his old calves are still going well. He is probably the highest scoring eagles defender in the run home unless Duggan plays more mid time. I think the trades are a bit sideways. Could risk a downgrade rookie if not on ground and go up to a big dog- like Mills or Whitfield.

• Campbell

July 7, 2021 at 2:50 pm

On that case Mills or Whitfield from here on in

34. TradingTops

July 7, 2021 at 4:59 am

July 7, 2021 at 12:54 pm

Neale is a jet and yep, i would have got him last week if fit- absolutely true about the risks, but a fit Neale is less of a risk than Danger, De Goey, Stringer etc. I will look this week and with a BE of 109 his price won’t jump massively even if he brains it and get 130. Let’s hope for a fit Neale so we can buy him.

35. Petracca

July 7, 2021 at 8:08 am

Hey Trent,

Which do you prefer:
    1. Serong to Taylor Adams (and then loop Bianco & Newcombe as final on field rook spot).
    2. Final on field rook to Yeo (via trading 2 bench rooks and moving Bianco/Newcombe to the bench).

Liking 2 as a high upside play as I’m ranked around 4K. Could get JDG instead of Yeo but might as well go against the crowd and hope he flops.

July 7, 2021 at 12:45 pm

Serong at UTAS, let’s hope he doesn’t tag Mitchell. Otherwise go 2.

36. Matthew McLellan

July 7, 2021 at 8:43 am

Hey Trent

Great article as always – a little stumped this week on where I should be looking for the value this week…below are the two options which I’m considering (effectively for the same investment);

1. Sam Walsh (Value) + Patrick Dangerfield
    2. Jarryd Lyons + De Goat (Value)

With Jeremy Cameron now out for 5 weeks, there is every likelihood that Chris Scott will anchor Dangerfield more in the forward to help cover the loss…potential impact on his scoring

The Lions upcoming run is looking awesome…but on the flipside can we trust De Goat.

Generally stuck on which option I should pursue this week?

Thanks in advance

July 7, 2021 at 12:44 pm

Dangerfield is a better scorer than De Goey and at the moment they have the same injury risk. I bought De Goey because of Elliott’s role, but Danger probably won’t play massive minutes forward yet, with Duncan out- if Esava plays than that is good for Danger.

• Banger

July 7, 2021 at 3:48 pm

Thanks Trent – agree, feel a whole lot safer with Danger in the team.

Good luck this weekend

37. Harmes

July 7, 2021 at 8:50 am

Hi Trent please help
    Best trades this week

1. Haynes and Rookie to Petracca and Rookie
    2. McEvoy and Rookie to Grundy and Rookie
    3. Haynes and Hind to Newman and De goey?

July 7, 2021 at 12:42 pm

The greatest price difference assuming in 1 and 2 the rookie is not on ground. I I like the certainty of McEvoy to Grundy.

38. James

July 7, 2021 at 9:00 am

Trade Cummings or Houston?

July 7, 2021 at 12:40 pm

Tough- if Taylor named than Houston, because you want Cummings being the 4th defender (Davis, Taylor, Haynes). Houston can drift out of games, especially when he is defensive mid.

39. Will

July 7, 2021 at 9:31 am

Hey mate,
    I need to get Flynn out of my side (from R2). My options are as follows, what are your thoughts?

1. Flynn to Darcy/ROB
    2. Flynn to Dangerfield, with Amartey at R2 for a few weeks

I could possibly stretch an upgrade to Grundy, but only if a sub 200k rookie is available in the fwd line this week. At the moment I’m only seeing 250k + options >_< (I've got no DPP options here)
    cheers Legend!

• Will

July 7, 2021 at 9:53 am

correction – i can get Grundy with a sub 230k FWD rookie… finley macrae???

July 7, 2021 at 12:38 pm

If he plays and is not on your ground. Otherwise wait and see if a sub 230 K rookie named, like Garcia (he looked okay- but he could get bevoed at any point).

July 7, 2021 at 12:39 pm

No Stef Martin means Amartey as R2 this week should enable a solid score. He even jumped over Naitanui and he played well. Go option 2.

40. Jacko

July 7, 2021 at 9:38 am

Is Kennedy a good pickup this week? Would rather Newman but just can’t afford him.

July 7, 2021 at 12:37 pm

He is still okay, but remember he is probably a 90 max player. I did buy him last week, but in a perfect world I’d be selling him in 3-4 weeks time to a Zorko.