The Friday Scramble

The Thursday Scramble: Round 4

The most unbelievable weekend of footy I think I have ever seen! Upsets, injuries and even a postponed game! Let’s Scramble!!

Wow! We all thought it could happen but I bet none of us thought it would happen mid round! That was simply unbelievable. Add to that some big injuries and as if this season wasn’t hard enough we just keep getting thrown curve balls. Nothing more to do but Scramble!

Essendon v Melbourne

Now I am not going to go into what the best way to deal with it is and which formats got it “right” and which got it “wrong” because there is no such thing as right or wrong. As I have heard someone else say this week, no one set out to upset anyone or make things worse they did the best they could with the information at hand. What has happened has happened and what will happen will happen. Fantasy/Dreamteam/Supercoach are all games of fantasy footy and we play them for fun. It isn’t worth getting upset. This season was always a weird/strange one, this is just another hurdle for us to navigate. So just sit back, have a bit of fun and let’s just do our best with what we have in front of us. Everyone always says that the game is too easy (the only person that has any claim to say that is Selby), well you wanted the game a bit harder, here you go!  In the words of Calvin… Be the Butter Mouse!

Now….  A bit of strategy. We don’t know how every format will treat the ‘delayed’ game at the moment and many are saying if the game counts we should load up on Ess and Mel players. But I want to throw something else in there that may make you think twice.

As Warnie said on the podcast (I reckon he heard me talking to someone about it on the weekend) they will probably schedule the two sides very early in one round and then very late in the next so they can play a mid week game. One thing that people haven’t thought of though, when they get to that third game in say 9 days, they could be stuffed! And depending on the opponents they have at either end of that run of three games you may even find some of the premiums/fantasy relevant players actually rested. Think about it, do you honestly expect that Goody and the Melbourne brains trust will make Harley Bennell play 3 games in 9/10 days? I don’t think so and even if he does his game time will be minimal. Also, I would almost bet that there is every chance that  they play a second ruck in at least two of the games to give Max a bit of a chop out. When they play Essendon who have Bellchambers I will bet that is where they may choose to restrict his game time.

SO before you go and jump all over these players, just have a think about it. The sooner we know where the game will be played and what games they have either side of the make up game the sooner we can make a decision. Until we know exactly when the game is going to be played just continue on as you would have normally. No point planning or worrying about it until you actually know what is going on.

This is a bit left field but as you guys and girls all know, I like to throw out a bit of an alternative view on the strategy.

Premo’s Down!

As if the missing game wasn’t enough, we had one premium go down in a game and another go down post round! Lachie Whitfield hurt a heap of teams when he went down very early in the game against the Dogs. We will know tonight if he is going to be selected but word when I was writing this is that he should be right to go. That was a big hit and he has to pass all the concussion testing. Even if he does play he has a Massive break even and we all know that players often struggle when they get back from a concussion, so you can certainly be excused for trading him out.

Then, on Monday afternoon we heard the news that Josh Dunkley would be out for six weeks with a syndesmosis injury. We simply need to trade him out. His season is basically cooked from a Fantasy perspective. So this will be a forced trade, but always looking for a silver lining, this will allow those of us (and yes, me too) that don’t have either Neale or Fyfe to bring one of them in. The other option you have is to try and make your dollar go a bit further by picking someone that is a bit more value and hopefully get a bit of a two for one by upgrading a mid pricer with the left over cash.

Add to all that a few guys that aren’t performing like we expected such as Danger who seems to be struggling down at the Cattery which is the opposite to what we expected. Do we trade him out? If you have no major issues then yes you could consider it. This season is one where trading out a falling premium is more acceptable. But, before you pull the trigger, let’s look at his next three games. Melbourne, Gold Coast and St Kilda. That isn’t a bad run for him and the games are at the MCG, GMHBA and Marvel. In this crazy season I don’t mind the idea of trading him out but make sure you get some good value for him.

#AskDunny

Wow, lot’s of options there Matthew. I guess I will break this down a bit.  In terms of the players you list there I am going to say hold Laird and Whitfield (especially if he plays this week) I think that Whitfield out is a very luxury trade and one that I wouldn’t do if he plays. Houston is an issue. He has definitely had a role change from what we saw in the pre-season and from late last year. I think that the role he was going to have in the midfield has been taken by the youngsters and it even seems that DBJ has taken the rebounding half back role so that leaves Houston out a bit.  I think he is a valid trade out target for you. As for Jacobs, I have been disappointed with his scoring since the return and he could be one you want to move on if you have nothing else to fix up.

As for the ins, Not sure about going to Weller down back, he has played well but the Suns have played all three games so far at home and after round 4 they probably won’t be as lucky. I would look for some value elsewhere and a bit more of an established scorer. LOVE that you want to bring in the Canon McKenzie, but I am not so sure I would get him in. I like the move of B Williams to R3 and Mr Worldwide coming onto the field but once again go for a more consistent known commodity down back.  I really like Simpkin, he should be a forward trade in target. Wingard has had a good few weeks but I really like Simpkin’s role and he would be who I would target.

Bloody good question Hawker!  I would love to say it keeps me sane, but that would be a bit of a lie. Just super grateful that we have footy back and I am super excited that once the Power return to SA I will get to go and see them most weeks hopefully as the Adelaide Oval will allow 25,000 people in as of next week!! Just keep plugging along mate and have a laugh and some fun.

Things To Remember

• Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, just roll with it and have fun.
  • Be Bold with your trades.
  • There are only 10 more rounds before Fantasy Finals!  Can you believe that!!
  • In the Rolling Lockout games, hold your trades as late as you possibly can, you saw on the weekend why that is important

On top of all of this the AFL released the round 6 fixture last night and they told us that Collingwood and Geelong would be heading to a West Australia Hub after their round 6 games. This will mean they play each other in round 7 and the Western Derby will also be that round. After that we know their opponents for the following two rounds. The fixture is starting to take shape, the more that we know the more we can plan for.

Hopefully this week is a lot smoother for us than the one we just had. The forgotten part here is Connor McKenna’s health, all the best to him and hopefully he recovers quickly (even though that last test was negative, who knows, he must have had it at some stage).

Tom

June 25, 2020 at 7:24 am

Thoughts on Dangerfield? Other than his tagged De Boer 40, actually been pretty solid. 732k so a lot cheaper than the expensive guys and still could be a top 8-10 mid from here

Dardy

June 25, 2020 at 2:30 pm

dreaming

Browny

June 25, 2020 at 5:06 pm

Wait a week or 2 should come good

mad snake

June 25, 2020 at 7:52 am

Thanks for the article, Dunny. Can somebody please explain to me where Pittonet got the name Mr Worldwide?

Nateo

June 25, 2020 at 10:07 am

Pittonent=Pitbull

Pitbull the rapper’s nick name

Warnie

June 25, 2020 at 10:38 am

It took me a while to work out where Roy going coming from with that.

SB

June 26, 2020 at 6:44 am

Rapper is a bit rich

Mad Fish

June 25, 2020 at 8:31 am

Got a few options, with my first trade being Jacobs to Naismith:
    1) Dunkley –> Neale and Brayshaw –> Weller/Wingard (play Pickett)
    2) Dunkley –> Neale and Pickett –> Vandermeer/Bennell (play Bennell/Vandermeer)
    3) Dunkley –> Weller and Pickett –> Wingard/anyone around that price (only four rookies on the ground – Taylor, Budarick, Rowell, Starcevich)

What do you suggest?

M8

June 25, 2020 at 1:45 pm

Naismith on your field with that first trade? I like 1 if you can get another decent option on field for Pickett in case he is omitted

Mad Fish

June 25, 2020 at 2:02 pm

Nah, Naismith on bench, have Pittonet. Brown or McInerney are the other option I have to play on the ground.

Newt

June 25, 2020 at 9:32 am

What do you think of doedee as a pod? Coming off of 86 with a breakeven of 16

luka

June 25, 2020 at 1:17 pm

settle down mate, Josh Daicos is better

Browny

June 25, 2020 at 5:04 pm

Daicos is mid only mate an +$500.000 doedee will make a bit of coin but scores will very.

Damian Hocking

June 25, 2020 at 3:00 pm

He’s going to see plenty of the footy this year, lot of chances for intercept marks. I don’t think he’s a top 8 defender, but will earn you some money in the short term.

thebopper58

June 25, 2020 at 9:55 am

Thanks Dunny

With DPP just around the corner could we see the 1st triple DPP in Budarick????
    Currently MID/FWD but i playing back pocket quite well too!!!
    I know he’ll drop the FWD but in a crazy season why not????

Good luck for the rest of this crazy season :)

Warnie

June 25, 2020 at 10:37 am

It could be interesting if we had TPPs… but Champion Data said they won’t do that. Also, we can’t drop a position mid-season due to people having them selected in different positions. Would be a mess for development I would think.

Andy

June 25, 2020 at 10:08 am

I can either get Neale for Noah Anderson; or Lloyd for Houston plus Simpkin for A.Brayshaw. What do you think is the best way to go?

Paul

June 25, 2020 at 12:48 pm

I’d go Anderson –> Neale. Focus on upgrading rookies (the other two are luxury trades IMO)

Ed

June 25, 2020 at 1:25 pm

DrSwine

June 25, 2020 at 10:31 am

If Essondon doesnt play again, someone tests positive.

Are averages used?

Its a real strategy to get in McGrath, plays or gets his 90 average.

Polomiko28

11k left over

Ed

June 25, 2020 at 1:27 pm

I’d go option 2

Paul

June 25, 2020 at 12:42 pm

I’m seriously considering going Grundy down to Mr Worldwide which frees up cash for me to upgrade 2 rookies on my ground (Cavarra –> Simpkin & Roberton –> Howe).

I know it’s risky but think it will improve my overall score and this is probably the year to have a crack. Thoughts?

Will

June 25, 2020 at 1:09 pm

Not sure its a good idea, Grundy can go so huge, and is averaging the equivalent of 122 in a normal season. I’d look for opportunity elsewhere than sacrificing last years no 1 player

Wise Guy

June 25, 2020 at 12:50 pm

Does everyone else here think Jy Simpkin think is the real deal or just another ROYactionary brain fart.
    Is his positional change which is getting his numbers or just dumb luck.

Joshua

June 25, 2020 at 1:11 pm

Simpkin is relishing his new mid role and hes a rising star of the competition. He and goldstein are norths 2 most in form players and he is really dominating the clearances. He changes games when he is in the middle and you can notice his improvement in his game. Get him in!

Will

June 25, 2020 at 1:22 pm

most centre bounces of the NM mids last round…. the role is there

Brad

June 25, 2020 at 1:21 pm

Jacobs and Dunkley to Simpkin and Neale and a rookie downgrade (need this to afford the trades) with minimal bank left or

Jacobs, Dunkley and Brayshaw to Goldy, Simpkin and Doedee with 200k in bank

M8

June 25, 2020 at 1:43 pm

Get Neale or Gaff or save money and get Dangerfield?

Ed

June 25, 2020 at 5:06 pm

Neale

Nick

June 25, 2020 at 3:32 pm

Trade Whitfield or Houston?

MikeLowrey

Option C
    Dunks to Lyons
    Houston to Weller
    Sturt to Rook

Browny

June 25, 2020 at 4:56 pm

Like option b but Im not sold on Lyons I’m goin mcgluggage now everyone’s jumped of

Ed

June 25, 2020 at 5:07 pm

option B for me to

John

June 25, 2020 at 4:19 pm

Naismith or pittonet?

Browny

June 25, 2020 at 4:51 pm

On field or trade in? Pittonet on field for me this week c how nailsmith goes this week he’s on my bench

Jaws

June 25, 2020 at 5:38 pm

Any one know much about the 1st Gamer for the dogs who is selected tonight – Louis Butler?

User1

June 25, 2020 at 6:05 pm

1) Roberton -> Butler/Hamill

Brayshaw -> Parfitt

Townsend -> Simpkin

OR

2) Townsend -> Georgiades

Brayshaw -> Simpkin

Titch -> Neale/Pendles/Sidebottom/Boak

HAWKA

June 25, 2020 at 6:29 pm

who do I field…. Naismith or Pittonet?

Davo

June 25, 2020 at 6:34 pm

Who do i trade out Pickett or Benell?

Grant

June 25, 2020 at 6:38 pm

Best combo? Houston & Gawn or Lloyd & Brayshaw

Also thoughts on Ward as a cheap option? Or stick with Simpkin

George

June 25, 2020 at 7:00 pm

Is Naismith r2 good?
    1. Jacobs/rozee/Cavarra- Simpkin/ward/xerri Field Naismith- If Sinclair out
2.Jacobs/rozee/Brayshaw or Bewley- Simpkin/ward/pit – If Brayshaw on bench
3. Jacobs/noble/cavarra- Hamill/Pit/Simpkin-

Cheers lads
If 2. Then bewley or brayshaw?

Steve

June 25, 2020 at 7:22 pm

Naismith or mr worldwide???

big sam

June 25, 2020 at 10:21 pm

Should i take McInerney’s 50 or play Tyler brown (average 41)… can use loophole..

emily

June 26, 2020 at 12:15 am

lol, I’m struggling with that. whether to field Tyler Brown or Tom Green or take the 50 from McInerney

from the foot fetish girl

Doug

June 26, 2020 at 9:52 am

Flip a coin.. At half time, on 36, I was pulling my hair out that I fielded Brown over Mac (no loophole possible), but 50 is about right in the end.. Brown between 35-55 I’d say..

George

June 25, 2020 at 10:25 pm

Jacobs- 170k and use extra cash to upgrade pickett to ward and field naismith(will be for the next bunch of weeks of course)
    jacobs-pit and unfortunately keep naismith’s 76 on bench
    Do we think naismith will play next week given he got beaten by english?

M8

June 25, 2020 at 11:09 pm

Okay lads, I’ve got my 3 trades left and currently have Pittonet and Jacobs R1 and R2, Naismith on the bench with the E and Williams on the bench in the backline. Do I trade Jacobs (via Williams) to Hamill to get Naismith’s score or try and get Jacobs to Gawn and not get Naismith’s score, considering Naismith was done his knee again? Gotta feel for Sammy, so unlucky speedy recovery :(

Ps can show you my full team to make it easier?

M8

June 25, 2020 at 11:44 pm

Also have the option of holding Jacobs this week and trading both Jacobs and Naismith next week in the hope of getting to Gawn

Doug

June 26, 2020 at 10:00 am

Solid idea M8.. I’d probably do that, take his 76 (BCV of 95) and the price rise (should be 50k-ish), and replace him with Xerri next week, then drop Jacobs for a cash cow..

Terrible run of luck for Sam.. Reminds me of Alex Johnson :(

M8

June 26, 2020 at 10:24 am

Thanks for the reply Doug does seem silly to have a 76 wasted there but a captained Gawn against Esava also is tempting, the options I am thinking are; I have $156k before trades
        1.) -This week to go Jacobs (via Williams) to Hamill, taking Naismith’s score.
        -Brayshaw (via Budarick) to Gaff/Neale/Danger Currently thinking Gaff.
        -Houston to Weller.
        The aim next week would be to go an underperforming stepping stone I.e. Smith or Greenwood to Serong so I can get Naismith to Gawn.
        or
        2.) -This week go Jacobs to Gawn not taking Naismith’s score.
        -Brayshaw (via Budarick) to Serong.
        -Houston to Weller.
        These trades guarantee me getting Gawn but lose my guaranteed 76 and doesn’t give me a week to look at Serong.

My team btw before trades is:
        Def: Lloyd, Crisp, Docherty, Houston, Smith, Starcevich (Brander, Williams)
        Mid: Cripps, Cogs, Viney, Mitchell, McGrath, Rowell, Rivers, Budarick (McInerney(E), Brown)
        Ruck: Jacobs, Pittonet (Naismith(E))
        Fwds: Petracca, Smith, Simpkin, Greenwood, Brayshaw, Taylor (King, Sturt)
        Utility: Pickett

It does doesn’t it, terrible luck for both players, hope the scans comeback with some positive news for him personally! Sorry for the long post

M8

June 26, 2020 at 10:43 am

Fort is rucking even

emily

June 26, 2020 at 12:09 am

hey peeps what do you think of these trades

Rozee too Simpkin
    Houston too Rivers
    Pickett too Neale

14k left then I’ll be trading out Naismith out next week as he has done another knee, the poor bugger.

from the foot fetish girl, mmmmmm feet in custard

Grovers Guns

June 26, 2020 at 9:24 am

Loved my trade of Whitfield to Neale even though it only left me $19k.
    But now with Naismith going down for a few weeks (Darcy Cameron on bench) I am going to be stuck without a decent R2 next week as alot of my bench arent worth enough.

Going to Wingard instead of Neale leaves me $227k so can get good value next week for R2 (do we still have 3 trades?). Already have Simpkin.

Thoughts?

Doug

June 26, 2020 at 10:01 am

Any chance you could get enough $$ to go Naismith to Pitt next week? Sam should still jump 50k-ish this week..

emily

June 26, 2020 at 10:43 am

think Naismith will jump $65k- $70K next week, hopefully anyway, we all need cash lol

from the foot fetish girl

M8

June 26, 2020 at 10:27 am

I have a similar dilemma! Yes we have 3 trades next week, if you can guarantee getting Gawn/Grundy or Goldy next week I’d get Neale this week, assuming your R1 is Pittonet if not get him.

emily

June 26, 2020 at 10:40 am

In my ruck I have grundy and Mr WW and trading Naismith next week, which with a few other down grades of rookies wil give me cash for the week after just want to know peep thoughts on

these trades for this week

Rozee too Simpkin
        Houston too River
        Pickett too Neals

I’m left with 3 guns and 3 rookies in the back line but I think it’s Neale or never the way he’s playing.

from the foot fetish girl
        feet in bake beans

Grovers Guns

June 26, 2020 at 10:49 am

thanks Guys and Foot Fetish (mmmm).
          Was able to reverse trades so gone –
          Roberton to Bulter (already locked form last night)
          Then Taylor to Simpkin
          and Jacobs to Pittonet so should be right for next week with $50k left

If i didn’t do the above any gains from Naismith would have been wiped by Pittonet and couldnt get Gawn/Goldy (already have Grundy).

Just going to ride Whitfield out now and hopefuly some cash cows start coming through

emily

June 26, 2020 at 6:58 pm

lol Grovers guns, yep foot fetish mmmmm

from the foot fetish girl

Anthony

June 26, 2020 at 11:18 am

Who is more of a piority to be traded, Devon Smith or Dan Houston?

CJ

June 26, 2020 at 11:22 am

Trade Brayshaw or Brodie Smith this week?