The Friday Scramble

The Friday Scramble: Grand Final Edition

Grand Final Time!! No Better Time to Scramble!

It was only 23 short weeks ago that we were agonising over our starting squads. Now here we are with the last round upon us. We have seen premos dominate and premos fail, we have seen rookies make heaps of cash and we have seen some play one game and then never be seen again. Such is the life of a Fantasy footy coach. Hopefully you have made it through to the Grand Final this week and if not hopefully you are still playing to try and get the best ranking that you can. Whichever the case may be, for the last time in 2019 it is time to Scramble!!

Grand Final Strategy

The strategy this week isn’t much different from that of the previous weeks whereby your main aim is to simply get the most points you can (yes I know that is super simple) but what makes it a little different this week is that when we are looking at trade in targets we are only worrying about how they will score this week against one opponent. We don’t have to worry about how good an opponent is next week or the week after or if they will get a tag or not in the coming weeks. It is all right there in front of us.

The only variable options we really have is will there be any late outs or not and who will be in those final Sunday squads when they are finalised later on tonight.

We often talk about checking out who your opponent has and either looking to match off a unique or creating a unique by trading out a common player. This is going to depend on how you feel your match is going to go. But as Roy said on the Monday podcast we don’t really need to worry too much about that even, we just need to get the best scoring players into our side this week and they should do the rest.

Make sure that you look at Cal’s scale of Hardness as it can be important this week. We want to be bringing in those guys that have the best matchup possible.

#AskDunny

I think we can all relate to this question from David that I got during the week.

SO David Macaskill did send me a question but through the magic of Twitter I seem to have lost it somehow. But he basically said that if he had fallen in a hole on Friday last week and didn’t have his phone and wasn’t rescued until Sunday night he would have won his Cash Prelim as he wouldn’t have tinkered with his side. But he did and now he is out!

David, I hear ya mate. So many times I have made the same horrible mistake. We tinker with our teams and we end up taking out the guy that scores more and bring in a poor scorer. We have all done it, just sorry to hear that it happened to you in the Prelim week! I can assume that from your tweet you were in a form of the game that has a rolling lockout. This can make things even harder. We hold on to a trade to use it later in the weekend and then we either forget to trade or miss a game start or the guy that we really want has already played and we miss them altogether. Just look to next year mate and learn from this mistake.

So What About Maxy?

With Preuss now being named this tells me that there is still a heap of doubt over whether or not Max Gawn will play. And even if he does then with Preuss in the team he may not play as much as we would like. Based on this I am going to trade him out in AF. In the rolling lockout versions of the game I will be keeping a close eye on the late outs and saving a trade for that. Thankfully it is the first game on Saturday so if you do have trades left I wouldn’t use it until the start of that game.

Who do I go to? Well I would be looking at their opponent this week. Goldstein is in a great patch of form at the moment, and if Gawn is a late out then he should have a field day against Preuss. If not Goldy then you may want to look at Witts v Mumford or Lycett v Darcy or Stef Martin v Soldo.

Oh Toby

With Greene out you have a few options. You can do a few things but really if you don’t have Rowan Marshall up forward he would be the one that I go for. Other than that Dunkley is the man or if you can move a mid down to the forwards then grab Macrae if you don’t have him. The other option is Kelly against the Suns.

Selection Table

The last selection table for the season and as always there is a bit of everything going on this week.

Steele Sidebottom had an unfortunate incident at training so trade him out.
Heppell is having a rest now that the Bombers have secured their spot.
Zac Clarke is out so if he was your Max bench cover then look for someone else.
Preuss ALERT. Preuss has come into the side and this spells heaps of trouble. This makes Max missing now a huge risk. I have already talked about this above.
The Giants have pulled a heap of changes with the key ones being Jeremy Cameron coming back in so those that held would be happy. But it is Toby Greene out that will hurt a heap of teams. Hopefully you have trades to be able to move him out in RDT and SC.
Other than the players above the rest of the moves are really only bench cover players coming in or out.

Things to Remember

• Don’t leave anything in the tank.
  • If you need to pull a unique move to get the win then go for it!
  • Use the Scale of Hardness, it could make the difference in holding up the trophy or not.
  • If you are a huge underdog look for someone with a great matchup and perhaps swing a unique captain.
  • Don’t stress about it and have some fun. Only another 6 months until we get to right our wrongs and do it all again!

Best of luck everyone in your Grand Finals or even just your last game of the season. I hope you have had a great year and have enjoyed playing AF, RDT, SC or UF. If you haven’t tried Draft before then I would encourage you to give it a go next year. Check out the DTshiva.com.au site and join an amazing community next year that includes pretty much all of us on this site.

I do hope you have enjoyed my Scramble each Friday this season as much as I have enjoyed bringing it to you. Also thanks to everyone that comments and helps each other out, as regular readers know my work does make it hard for me to get online and reply to comments. I will try to reply to some today but I do apologise if I don’t. I do try and read them at the end of the day but it is usually too late to help you out by then.

I hope you all have a great off season and I look forward to interacting with you all over when we start our 2020 pre-season reviews.

Cheers
Dunny

Peter Pan

August 23, 2019 at 6:23 am

Option 1: Marshall & J Kelly
    Option 2: Dusty & Taranto

Which scores more?

Daniel

August 23, 2019 at 6:53 am

110 +130
      V
      120+130

I’d go 2 as I think Taranto/Kelly will be close, but slightly prefer Dusty over Marshall this week

Peter Pan

August 23, 2019 at 3:52 pm

Thanks

Dunny

August 23, 2019 at 9:07 am

I like Option 1 more i think but it will be very tight between those pairings. The main reason I like it is that I am a little worried about Dusty v Brisbane with the likelihood of Robbo tagging him (could be a great punch on between those two).

Peter Pan

August 23, 2019 at 3:52 pm

Cheers!

David C

August 23, 2019 at 4:15 pm

Brisbane have said they won’t tag Dusty …. at least not at the start.

Fantasy Footy Fan

August 23, 2019 at 11:32 am

2 for me. Both should be huge. Kelly only 75 last week scares me

Peter Pan

August 23, 2019 at 3:53 pm

👍

Daniel

August 23, 2019 at 6:51 am

Bringing in Taranto

Who to trade out to him, Cripps or Billings?

Dunny

August 23, 2019 at 9:06 am

Tough call. I think I go Billings v Sydney.

Jag67

August 23, 2019 at 7:43 am

Cheers Dunny
    You article always settles the nerves before the first lock-out and the “reverse trade” button gets another hammering.

Dunny

August 23, 2019 at 9:03 am

Thanks Jags, must say I thank Heath Shaw every week for letting us have that button! Good luck this week!

Mitch W

August 23, 2019 at 8:33 am

Stuck on what to do with my second trade in fantasy this week.
    Option 1: Gawn > Marshall. Preuss named is a little worrying.
    Option 2: Brad crouch to Pendles. Clarke might go to him?

Dunny

August 23, 2019 at 9:04 am

I think I go Gawn to Marshall. The late out risk is huge

subdub

August 23, 2019 at 8:50 am

Chasing a league win but stuck on what to do.
    Option A – Ellis to Houston & Gawn to Oliver
    Option B – Ellis to Hurn & Gawn to Worpel
    Option C – Ellis to Houston/Hurn, hope Gawn plays and get bench cover for def/fwd?

Dunny

August 23, 2019 at 9:05 am

If I am chasing a league win I take the Gawn factor out. I am assuming you have Marshall to swing in. I think I go Option A here. Oliver should rack up against the Roos and I think if it is a dead rubber Houston could go big too.

Sir Fartypants

August 23, 2019 at 9:40 am

Hey which option?? Cheers!
    1 Blakely & Max to Williams & Dusty (Marshall ruck)
    2 Blakely & Cripps to Houston & Treloar (opponent does have him)
    I probably feel like I’m slightly better than my gf opposition and he has the Greene issues as well as Maxy…
    Appreciate the help thanks!

Kane

August 23, 2019 at 10:25 am

I’d say one. Williams has Gold Coast and you don’t want Max late out

Rory

August 23, 2019 at 10:27 am

1 is much safer and higher ceiling. Williams against GC and Dusty unstoppable at the moment.

Dunny

August 23, 2019 at 10:29 am

I like Option one more as well. Safer in my opinion.

Kane

August 23, 2019 at 9:59 am

Brandon ellis to Zac williams or Brad Crouch/Duncan/Zorko to Kelly/Pendles/Lyons

Rory

August 23, 2019 at 10:38 am

Crouch and Duncan stay. So either Ellis or Zorko. Williams should fly against GC as he’ll be in the middle with Greene out. Think Kelly may be managed through the last half. Lyons may be risky against the Tigers hunting a top 4 spot. For me it’s Pendles or Williams. Pendles loves playing the dons but is the difference between Zorko and Pendles better than Ellis to Williams? Probably not

Kane

August 23, 2019 at 10:41 am

Legend mate thanks so much. I’ll go Ellis to Williams!

Dunny

August 23, 2019 at 10:49 am

I like Williams in against the Suns. Should go large!

Rory

August 23, 2019 at 10:25 am

Draft GF – Pick 3 of Redden, Shiels, Adams, Florent, Wines, B Hill

Currently picked Redden, Shiels and Adams. Though Florent is probably the safest option right now.

Change my mind.

Kane

August 23, 2019 at 10:44 am

I’d take Adams, Shiels, and then either Florent or Hill. They have the saints and Port, so whoever you think will win, take them and back yourself. Gotta take risks to win it!

Dunny

August 23, 2019 at 10:50 am

I’d stay away from Wines and B Hill. Of the others I think Shiels and Adams are locks. Florent has been great recently (if it is a keeper league he is definitely one I keep). However I do like Redden against the Hawks. I think Florent v Saints is probably the way I would lean.

Rory

August 23, 2019 at 11:55 am

Cheers. Not a keeper league but Florent is going to be high in my rankings next year for a big breakout. Not so keen on B Hill either as his form away from Optus (where he’s a lock) has been ordinary. So it’s Florent or Redden. Really feel like Redden is due when a top 4 spot is on the line and Hutchings is out. Maybe it’s my bias creeping in… Saints since R14 are 5th hardest to score against for mids and 2nd hardest for the top 3 mid scores… Decisions, decisions

Josh Davies

August 23, 2019 at 10:57 am

Goldstein and J Kelly or Witts and Taranto

10. Fooz

Fooz

August 23, 2019 at 11:26 am

Thanks everyone for a good season.
    I’m out of both GFs this year…, however, looking at getting my ranking back inside the top 300 – which would be my best finish for about 10 years….

Options: Currently thinking to take the risk on Max Gawn … I have Caleb Graham as ruck cover!!!! Ha. Mind you, he’s the only cover I’ve got atm.

1) upgrade Rockliff
    2) upgrade Duncan
    3) upgrade Blakely

Thoughts?

Fantasy Footy Fan

August 23, 2019 at 11:39 am

I’m in GF with same question. I’ve got Graham as cover as well. Thinking Rocky to Williams and Greene to Marshall. If Max is a late out Graham will probably score more than Rocky anyway

Fooz

August 23, 2019 at 12:32 pm

Yeah. But I think Rocky might (maybe) outscore Blakely: so I think the ol’ traditional up down trade is on for me:

McLean > (Bell FWD), > Jok
      Blakely > Whitfield … finally back in.

I’m just hoping that if GWS aren’t up by too much against Suns that they’ll start resting players in the last quarter….

Bok

August 23, 2019 at 12:00 pm

Thanks for the great year of articles Dunny! Tossing up between TKelly to Curnow against the cats or Fyfe to JKelly but also feel like the new coach will boost Fyfe’s scoring

Luke

August 23, 2019 at 12:05 pm

Taking a punt this week and trading out high owned players for some uniques:

Gawn > Marshall
    BCrouch > JKelly

Captain

Not playing leagues this year so just going for highest ranking possible

Luke

August 23, 2019 at 12:06 pm

*Captain Josh Kelly

FreoFrank

August 23, 2019 at 12:23 pm

I have Dunkley, Boak, DAnger Dusty and Worpedo – Who is going to be the best scoring FWD after tbat?

Fooz

August 23, 2019 at 12:33 pm

Dunkley > Worps > Dusty > Danger > Boak imho

FreoFrank

August 23, 2019 at 12:26 pm

OK and another – Trade out Rocky of Duncan?
    Bring in JKelly, Dependlebery or Zorko?

Fooz

August 23, 2019 at 12:35 pm

My thoughts: Collywobbles need to win to try and stay in top 4. Port have given up. Geelong want top spot back, GWS – if Essendon get beaten, will just cruise…. and Zorko. Dunno. he’ll have something up his sleeve.

StrongEnergies

August 23, 2019 at 12:45 pm

In fantasy version so think I need to trade Gawn for a GF considering have no bench cover and have Greene. Any thoughts on following:
    1) Gawn –> Witts & Greene –> Marshall
    2) Gawn –> Witts/Marshall & Greene –> Billings

Also have Salem which who was going to trade to Williams but feel can’t risk Max being late out?
    Any help would be sick! Cheers

Shaun Lawson

August 23, 2019 at 1:13 pm

I’ve got Gawn and Green have to trade both to be safe. I had plenty of ammo on the bench I can’t use now, as I have Cripps and Hunter, but they would have been premium trades- in some ways its better I had no choice but to keep them-

Trades either

Worp as a FWD or get in Marshall (I have Green, Danger, Kelly, Dusty,Boak as other 5)

I could go Witts as ruck, then either Worp or Marshall as a FWD or

Marshall ruck who will go big against sydney, Worp as forward- oponent has Worp in his FWD line so thats a blank out

I get the feeling Worp over here vs WCE wont be as good as last week.

Think it’s too risk not to trade big Maxy

MikeLowrey

August 23, 2019 at 2:29 pm

Dusty or Marshall:

A) Greene & B.Crouch > Dusty & J.Kelly
    B) Greene & Cripps > Marshall & J.kelly

Jacko

August 23, 2019 at 4:44 pm

I’m going both!

Greene > Dusty
      Gawn > Marshall

Would love to get J Kelly in but I think the safer option is Gawn > Marshall as opposed to Fyfe or B Crouch > Kelly

Thoughts?

Miyagi-san

August 23, 2019 at 3:45 pm

So dont have Greene, but have Rocky and Max, and will swing Marshall to ruck. So what Mid/Fwd combo for the win?

1) Macrae + Lycett(Opponent has neither, Lycett to go hard after being dropped against a lesser ruck?)

2) Macrae + Ziebell (Ziebell easy game in the guts against easy scoring mid team or alternate any fwd under 640k?)

3) Dusty + Fyfe/Oliver/Bont/Lyons (2 genuine mids-but have queries over dusty vs Lions)

4) Jelly/Curnow (does Curnow run with a Danger/Telly and drop his score? Does touk mess up jelly?)

Good luck all and congrats on the season!!

Dave Bajamo