Deck of Dream Team

Hamish Hartlett – Deck of DT 2019

Hartlett was looking great before his ACL injury in 2018, he is underpriced, but is he worth the risk?

Name: Hamish Hartlett
Team: Port Adelaide
Position: Def
Price: $534,000
Bye round: 12
2018 average: 86.6
2018 games played: 5
Predicted average: 85
Draft range: Late speculative option

Click here for 2019 Fantasy prices.

Why should I pick him?

Value. Hartlett provides a great deal of value in the back line for us. Given he only played 5 games last season before tearing his ACL he has been discounted to be priced 13 points below his average and he was looking really good to that point. His 5 games netted him a 92, 77, 98, 65 and 101. It was his best average for three years and he didn’t look like slowing down. If he can return to this level of scoring this season then he can be a huge bargain that will rise in value and get you some handy points along the way.

With Pittard leaving the Power this season the quarterback type role is Hartletts. He was playing the role during the 5 games he was out there for last season as Pittard wasn’t in the team. He is a good user of the footy and Port will want the footy in his hands coming out of the back line. On top of that he prefers to kick the footy, he averages 20 touches a game and of those 20 he had 14 kicks during 2018 whereas prior to that he was having 11.5 kicks. So his game has become much more fantasy friendly.

Why shouldn’t I pick him?

The elephant in the room is that ACL. He has been out for the last year and it is often said that it takes two years to get over an ACL, the first one after the surgery and then the second year playing takes a while to ramp up and regain confidence. This is the massive concern that we have with selecting Hamish this season. At the start of last season he had a heap of confidence and was as fit as he has ever been, how much of that has he lost now after spending last season out of the game?

Whilst he did get off to a great start last season before his injury his two previous seasons weren’t as great. He averaged 78 and then 70 respectively which when you look at where he is priced this year, 73.6, it would suggest that he is priced about right. It all comes down to the role that he has. We don’t know where Burton is going to play and if he is in that back 6 that may curtail Hartlett’s possessions.

The average in those first 5 games could be over inflated and he may have actually settled back to that mid 70’s average. We have seen on many occasions that a player can get on a hot streak but then settle back into that same average they had in previous seasons. We just don’t have the sample size from season 2018 to make a definitive decision on the validity of this average.

Overall, there are just an absolute heap of unknowns about how Hartlett will go this season. This to me is one of the key reasons not to select him in your starting squad.

Find The Traders’ podcast on: Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts and Spotify.

Deck of DT Rating.

QUEEN – I think that Hartlett provides some great value down back this season and should be seriously considered. If it wasn’t for his ACL then I would say he was a lock, but it just gives me that lingering doubt about his scoring potential. He is one player that we need to keep a tight watch on in the pre-season to see how his confidence is and what his role is, if he comes through well then he could pay off big at that price. At this stage he is on the watch list for me but not in the side. I would love to select him but I just don’t think he is over the line yet.

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER: @pkd73 for all thing AFL Fantasy (and more). Got something to say about the deck? Use the hashtag… #DeckofDT.

1. The Chosen Won

February 4, 2019 at 7:46 am

Another relevant Port player, Great write up.

I am Menegola ©™

Good Luck™®©

• Dunny

February 4, 2019 at 11:02 am

Thanks The Chosen Won, glad you are enjoying the Deck.

2. Sir Fartypants

February 4, 2019 at 8:43 am

I love your work Dunny…. however I can’t see Hartlett ever being a lock again…. especially with all these free kick in points for defenders this year. Seems like a bit of a strange player to write up IMO.

• Dunny

February 4, 2019 at 10:59 am

Cheers Sir Fartypants (great name). I think more than anything it was his price and potential that made me take a detailed look at him. I think he has the potential to rise in value and score well but for the reasons above he must be considered risky. There has been a number of people that i know talking about him this year, but it is a risk/reward situation yet again.
      P.S. Given the long kick that Hartlett has, don’t be surprised to see him taking kick ins, he has certainly done it in the past.

• Sir Fartypants

February 4, 2019 at 3:47 pm

Fair enough mate… if he starts taking kick ins I take it all back!

3. Euman

Euman

February 4, 2019 at 10:07 am

As stated before I like the left field reviews I fleetingly considered Hartless (deliberate spelling error) especially with new kick in rules and enjoyed the read which helped me back my decision not to start him. Cheers keep em coming

• Dunny

February 4, 2019 at 11:01 am

As a fan I have heard him called that from the stands by many a supporter when he does something bad! I too was seriously considering him due to that price discount prior to doing the further research but now I just don’t know if I can take the risk on him. Cheers Euman (think you will be interested in the next player I am doing too *not a Power Player* )

• House Of Cards 2019

February 4, 2019 at 1:21 pm

Let me guess: Homsch, Young, Impey? You cant do it can you Dunny?

• Dunny

February 4, 2019 at 3:34 pm

Not even close.

4. Jake

February 4, 2019 at 12:06 pm

Great stuff Dunny. One that’s been on my watchlist for a while. He’s certainly capable of going big when he wants to. Could be a great unique option in defence.

• Dunny

February 4, 2019 at 1:19 pm

Exactly Jake, he can go big and would be a unique. Just keep a close eye in the pre-season mate.

5. Digby M

February 4, 2019 at 4:37 pm

It’s not gonna make me want to print these pages out and use them next time I go to the crapper once again is it dunny

• Dunny

February 4, 2019 at 11:16 pm

Sorry if you don’t like my articles Digby M, not much I can do about that. I write what I think about these guys. I always figure not much point always writing about the most popular players in the comp, would simply be churning out the same stuff every other site does, and everyone would have identical teams (which people always whinge about also). I try and give you a bit of a perspective on other players that might just win you your league if they come off. Anyway, each to their own.

• Digby M

February 5, 2019 at 12:22 pm

Another Digby M!? I was originally appalled that someone would impersonate the guy impersonating another guy who was impersonating an AFL footballer but here we are.

Anyway Dunny I appreciate your articles mate. I think I’m ready to finally give up on Hartlett ever being anything relevant but maybe late rounds in draft if he is still floating around.

6. Scott

February 4, 2019 at 11:27 pm

Dunny writing about a Port player, what a surprise…

• Dunny

February 5, 2019 at 6:56 am

As I have mentioned on a previous article, would you prefer me to write about a team I know far less about and can give far less insight into?