Connect with us

Players of Interest

Roy’s Best 22 for 2019 – December Edition

Roy takes an early look at what the best 22 could look like in 2019.

  • Roy

We’ve got the new positions in our hands and it’s time to start planning for 2019. The AFL Fantasy Classic prices and positions will be revealed for each club, in reverse ladder order, starting in a couple of weeks. For now, it’s time to have a look at what the top averaging players could look like for the new season ahead in the form of Roy’s Rolling Best 22. This is version 1.

DEFENDERS

   2018
Avg
Proj
Avg

D1

Sam Docherty
Carlton, DEF
Won’t miss a beat upon return given he could have played at the end of last season.
DNP114

D2

Rory Laird
Adelaide, DEF
Ball magnet coming off career high average of 108.
107.8
(20)
106

D3

Lachie Whitfield
GWS Giants, DEF
Averaged 100 last year with some thumping scores including 150.
100.1
(22)
105

D4

Jake Lloyd
Sydney Swans, DEF
Finished the season in great fashion with five scores over 110 in the last nine games.
101.6
(22)
101

D5

Connor Blakely
Fremantle, DEF
Back to back averages of 91, will break out with increased mid responsibility.
91.5
(13)
100

D6

James Sicily
Hawthorn, DEF
Didn’t drop under 90 in the last six rounds.
95.6 (14)99

In the mix: Alex Witherden (Brisbane Lions, DEF), Kade Simpson (Carlton, DEF).

MIDFIELDERS

   2018
Avg
Proj
Avg

M1

Tom Mitchell
Hawthorn, MID
Absolute freak, coming off a career high and world record average of 129.
129.2
(22)
127

M2

Jack Macrae
Western Bulldogs, MID
Massive year, averaging 123. Will be huge again.
122.6
(19)
120

M3

Zach Merrett
Essendon, MID
Recovered from a disastrous start to the year to average 101. Will be back to beast mode with the inclusion of Shiel.
101.5
(22)
118

M4

Patrick Cripps
Carlton, MID
Gets tagged, doesn’t care. Had a low score of 96 in the last 11 rounds.
109.3
(22)
115

M5

Lachie Neale
Brisbane Lions, MID
Will be in his element at the Lions and return to his elite scoring ways.
100.2
(22)
113

M6

Matt Crouch
Adelaide, MID
Averaged 105 despite injury effected games including 33.
104.9
(18)
112

M7

Josh Kelly
GWS Giants, MID
Averaged 108 despite an interrupted season and will be back to his dominant best.
108.4
(15)
111

M8

Dayne Beams
Collingwood, MID
Could be massive, even push his career high average of 116 if all goes to plan.
105.8
(21)
110

In the mix: Stephen Coniglio (GWS Giants, MID), Adam Treloar (Collingwood, MID), Clayton Oliver (Melbourne, MID).

RUCKS

   2018
Avg
Proj
Avg

R1

Brodie Grundy
Collingwood, RUC
Will have a snout by season end… enough said.
120
(22)
122

R2

Max Gawm
Melbourne, RUC
Coming off an outstanding 113 average but there are certainly concerns about sharing ruck duties next season.
111.3
(22)
100

In the mix: Justin Weshoff (Port Adelaide, RUC/FWD), Stefan Martin (Brisbane Lions, RUC).

FORWARDS

   2018
Avg
Proj
Avg

F1

Patrick Dangerfield
Geelong, MID/FWD
Dropped in average by 14 points last year but is a gift as a forward.
106.2
(21)
110

F2

Devon Smith
Essendon, MID/FWD
The way he finished the year, he is every chance to surpass Danger.
106.6
(22)
109

F3

Josh Dunkley
Western Bulldogs, MID/FWD
Dominated as a midfielder in the second half of the year.
95.8
(19)
108

F4

Sam Menegola
Geelong, MID/FWD
Finished the year really well with a low of 97 in the last six weeks.
98.6
(22)
101

F5

Tim Kelly
Geelong, MID/FWD
Seven scores over 98 in the last nine weeks.
86.8
(22)
99

F6

Isaac Heeney
Sydney Swans, MID/FWD
Needs to improve his ceiling.
90.7
(21)
95

In the mix: Justin Westhoff (Port Adelaide, RUC/FWD), Toby McLean (Western Bulldogs, MID/FWD).

What do you think, has Roy got this right? What order would you have the players in? Post your thoughts in the comments.

12 Comments

12 Comments

  1. Swanabees

    December 2, 2018 at 9:47 pm

    Alot of homework done for alot of folk here Roy. Just have to pick the eyes out of who is value and who can wait to get your starting 22 selected. Guns and rooks or Guns and Roses? The planning begins…

  2. Spud

    December 2, 2018 at 10:28 pm

    Reality is that by the end of the year, most of what you predict now will fail to manifest. That’s not to take away from your list as they are all reasonable candidates. It’s just most likely that only a quarter of these players chosen will part of the best 22 come the end of the season. Btw really like the dunkley pick

    • You're the Spud

      December 3, 2018 at 8:26 am

      I’ll take the overs on the quarter prediction.

      • Spud

        December 3, 2018 at 10:34 am

        Fair call. A quarter is probably a bit harsh. Somewhere between a third and half is probably more accurate. My point is that by the end of the year, half of the players seen in the best 22 won’t be who you would expect to be there.

  3. Euman

    Euman

    December 3, 2018 at 11:29 am

    Ok so question with the ssp “Previously listed AFL footballers no longer have to nominate for the draft and can sign with their club of choice as a Category A rookie between December 1 and March 15.” when do lists get finalised, surely no 15 March

    • Warnie

      Warnie

      December 3, 2018 at 12:10 pm

      They’ll be added once all processed by Champion Data. There aren’t too many that would happen after the game launches in late-January, so really, lists will be ‘mostly’ finalised.

      • Euman

        Euman

        December 3, 2018 at 4:26 pm

        Thanks Warnie

  4. Euman

    Euman

    December 3, 2018 at 11:43 am

    Just checking my Avatar, note i also picked Dunkley in my team 1 version, his run home was awesome

    • The Chosen Won

      December 4, 2018 at 7:42 am

      Good Luck in 2019

      • Euman

        Euman

        December 4, 2018 at 8:31 am

        You too

  5. Euman

    Euman

    December 4, 2018 at 8:40 am

    Speaking of best 22 only a quarter of your starting team being in them. I post below my draft team from DT Live Drawing Board from 2014 (cant remember if this is exact starting team in the end) but is interesting

    TEAM NAME: Eumans Tigers Fantasy. (AFL Fantasy 2014)
    Used: $9,693,000 (96.9%), Remaining: $307,000 (3.1%) On Ground: $8,524,100 (85.2%), On Bench: $1,168,900 (11.7%)
    Expected Total: 2142, Site Expected Total: 2101
    Def: S.Mitchell (98), J.Bartel (95), H.Shaw (90), D.Swallow (90), M.Suckling (85), L.McDonald (75) (M.Fuller (65), C.Howard (65))
    Mid: S.Johnson (118), G.Ablett (115), D.Beams (115), M.Murphy (105), B.Ellis (96), D.Thomas (92), J.Martin (77), L.Anthony (82) (M.Honeychurch (65), J.Polec (65))
    Ruc: M.Leuenberger (85.15), A.Sandilands (95) (B.Longer (75), F.Thurlow (45))
    Fwd: C.Wingard (100), L.Franklin (100), C.Dixon (85), T.Walker (85), M.Clark (75), N.Bock (65) (D.Garlett (65), G.Rohan (65))

    Ho blessed were we with dpp, Sam Mitchell and Jimmy Bartell as Defenders

    • The Chosen Won

      December 5, 2018 at 8:30 am

      TEAM NAME: the chosen won. (AFL Fantasy 2014)
      Used: $9,861,300 (98.6%), Remaining: $138,700 (1.4%) On Ground: $8,681,400 (86.8%), On Bench: $1,179,900 (11.8%)
      Expected Total: 1719, Site Expected Total: 2125
      Def: S.Mitchell (95.52), M.Hibberd (87.14), P.Seedsman (79.24), B.Waters (79.04), M.Suckling (58.01), K.Kolodjashnij (46.49) (M.Fuller (28.01), B.Martin (27.73))
      Mid: D.Swan (117.45), G.Ablett (114.61), M.Barlow (104.61), D.Beams (92.03), M.Murphy (85.52), D.Thomas (63.91), L.Anthony (40.79), C.Beams (34.58) (J.Polec (25.00), X.Ellis (25.00))
      Ruc: H.McIntosh (63.60), A.Sandilands (45.11) (B.Longer (35.87), D.Currie (21.25))
      Fwd: P.Dangerfield (98.65), J.Roughead (86.73), L.Franklin (78.69), T.Walker (52.20), M.Clark (39.35), A.Fasolo (38.45) (K.Harper (29.76), N.Bock (25.07))

Leave a Reply

Advertisement

Podcasts

Facebook

Advertisement

More in Players of Interest