Lockout Chat

Round 8 Lockout Chat

Discuss round 8 as it unfolds in the comments. Proudly brought to you by moneyball.com.au.

Discuss everything AFL Fantasy in the comments over the round.

Don’t miss the big articles of the week.

Click here to subscribe on iTunes.

Did you have a crack at Moneyball last weekend? The daily fantasy wagering game is going great guns with plenty of members of the DT Talk community getting involved.

Just a quick rundown on this weeks round 8 AFL contests starting with $8,000GPP on Thursday night for the Eagles vs Bulldogs clash. There is also a 975* target special set up for this game which has a jackpot of $2,150. These target contests will also be set up for the Saturday Slam and Sunday Funday. There’s over $35,000 guaranteed in prizes this week.

• AFL $8,000 West Coast vs Western Bulldogs
  • AFL $1,000 All Of Round
  • AFL $5,000 Saturday Slam
  • AFL $1,500 Hawthorn vs Brisbane
  • AFL $1,500 St Kilda vs Carlton
  • AFL $1,500 GWS vs Collingwood
  • AFL $2,000 Saturday Specky (Late)
  • AFL $1,500 Essendon vs Geelong
  • AFL $1,500 Adelaide vs Melbourne
  • AFL $5,000 Sunday Funday
  • AFL $1,500 Richmond vs Fremantle
  • AFL $1,500 Gold Coast vs Port Adelaide
  • AFL $2,000 North Melbourne vs Sydney

1. Mat

May 13, 2017 at 8:26 pm

Zerret the third little pig going bananas, going to be some huge scores this week

2. Seamus

May 13, 2017 at 8:41 pm

Ahh danger on 29 at halftime, just what I like to see from one of my most expensive players

• Balsam

May 13, 2017 at 9:31 pm

Danger having a better second half, but it doesn’t look like Hampton or Otten are in any danger of leather poisoning…

3. Huxley

May 13, 2017 at 9:29 pm

What happened to Hannan that spud?

4. Seamus

May 13, 2017 at 10:21 pm

gg to anyone who got sloane a couple weeks ago

• Daniel

May 13, 2017 at 10:59 pm

That was me. Sloane or Merritt? I guessed wrong.

• Kenjo

May 14, 2017 at 3:30 am

Yep me too. Watched in as he smashed out 130+ for several weeks and thought I’d get him in. 2 x scores in the 60’s. Same happened with Murphy. Got him in and the monster scores dried up. 122 from him today is not bad.

5. Mat

May 13, 2017 at 10:29 pm

1713 with Martin, Fyfe, Hall, Touk, Nank and PP to come. Need big games out of the Gold Coast lads

6. Seamus

May 13, 2017 at 10:43 pm

1881/18 (inc cap rocky) still have lloyd, fyfe, nankervis and heeney. Hoping for 2300, but probably gonna get somewhere close to 2250

7. Another Arctic Flying wombat Panda of Doom named Drowning fish

May 14, 2017 at 1:00 am

Apparently danger is carrying a broken rib,
    I think I might trade him this week, just wish I got Kelly in over Shuey

• The Spud

May 14, 2017 at 12:30 pm

Same regret. Shuey did have an off game but still managed a ton so I don’t think we need to worry.

8. lizard-of-oz

May 14, 2017 at 9:25 am

Tough night at the selection table next week.
    3 non-playing rookies have to go. Can’t keep both rockliff n treloar on the bench.
    Plus I need a cheap playing ruck as back up for the byes.

9. Fooz

Fooz

May 14, 2017 at 10:03 am

At this early stage… SPP + Otten / Hampton to Kelly + rookie. Just wish I’d got Kelly this week instead of Coniglio

10. Ravalle

May 14, 2017 at 10:28 am

Talk about a season full of making the wrong decisions…can’t take a trick!!!
    This week it has all came crashing down and shown that the “old school” way of playing the game just isn’t cutting it this year…..
    Decided to hold Treloar and upgrade around him…that’s fine zerret it was to be, he’s a piglet and one of my favourite players to watch, perfect..UNTIL I make the last minute decision to bring in Rocky this week who I hadn’t wanted to pay over 700 for…BANG sounds like Rocky out for multiple weeks along with Treloar!!! Shocking rookie scores this week has just been the icing on the cake leaving my team at 20 for 1838 with Neale, Lloyd and Touk Touk to come.
    Ok my rant is over, I feel much better!!!

• Leeroy

May 14, 2017 at 11:06 am

If by ‘old school’, you mean guns and rookies strategy, I disagree with you. I decided after last year, after picking many failed mid pricers I was going to stick to guns and rookies this year. I made two exceptions, Jaeger and Roughy. They both had terrible starts, were dumped, and quickly I was at 100% guns and rookies. This year has been my best year.

Going with mid pricers is too risky in my opinion, for every break out player, there are 5 guys that were just teasing us in JLT before they go back to scoring the same as last year. I’d rather have a dud rookie thats at least making a bit of money, than a mid pricer that might only score 10 or 20 more

I’m sure there are many that have gotten these pics right and are doing really well, but in my opinion guns and rookies is the safer option.

• Ravalle

May 14, 2017 at 12:30 pm

I agree Leeroy…I meant my gun and rookies strategy in combination with the choices I’ve made….I don’t think I made that very clear in my original comment….

• Leeroy

May 14, 2017 at 12:57 pm

Lol no problem, I went on a big rant based on what I thought you might have meant :)

Something on my mind though I guess, there are a lot of reactionary coaches playing this game, getting excited after a few big scores. I like to play it safe and pick the guys that have proven themselves over whole seasons

• lizard-of-oz

May 14, 2017 at 4:10 pm

2016 mid mid pricers;
        Kerridge
        Wells
        HALL
        Graham you had to have ’em.

11. Duz

May 14, 2017 at 12:23 pm

1942 with fyfe dusty cmac and nank left hoping for 2300

12. Tom

May 14, 2017 at 12:46 pm

Nic Newman travelling emergency, if anyone was interested.

13. marcus

May 14, 2017 at 12:47 pm

You doing better than me Duz, thought I was doing ok with 1887 and Fyfe, Nank and Lloyd left.

14. marcus

May 14, 2017 at 12:49 pm

Beauty Tom I got him as an Emergency

15. Dezza

May 14, 2017 at 12:57 pm

I think this season will be won or lost based on the decision to trade back in Rocky once cleared from his shoulder injury. Last year the only two games I made him captain were when he scored 42 or less, and one of those was returning from injury. Out of frustration I traded him for thre few weeks he was out the second time, then was punished by watching him score monster scores for the rest of the season and had most other teams pull away from me.

It would be easy to say he is a must have when he comes back in, but can you trust the shoulder. I think trading him in or out will be the single most important decision of playing Fantasy this year.

• Foo Foo the Snoo

May 14, 2017 at 2:00 pm

What’s the deal with Rocky? I just got him in this week…

• Leeroy

May 14, 2017 at 2:03 pm

The tough thing with Rocky is if you don’t have him, it HURTS when he is a popular captain choice and he scores 150+. On the other end the last 3 years he has played 18, 16 and 17 games. This year he is looking at a similar number. So on one hand you don’t want him to get injured mid game and use up a trade, but on the other hand it hurts like hell when he goes massive and you don’t have him.

I went with Zach Merrett over him because I felt like I might get more value over the season, but it hurt like hell when I didn’t have 167×2 as my captain score

• Foo Foo the Snoo

May 14, 2017 at 2:18 pm

So how long is it looking he is out? I didn’t see anything and was congratulating myself on his decent score…

• j

May 14, 2017 at 2:28 pm

I’m hoping they either rule him out till after the byes, or he plays next week.

If out, looking to trade him to Zerrett.

Worst scenario is if he misses just 1 week, then plays one week, and then he has his bye. It’s a lot of cash to be leaving on the bench for 2 out of 3 weeks.

16. Foo Foo the Snoo

May 14, 2017 at 1:56 pm

Can we ignore Brad Hill any longer?

• charlie

May 14, 2017 at 2:17 pm

• Leeroy

May 14, 2017 at 2:21 pm

I think he definitely needs to be considered. It can however be easy to get carried away over a couple scores. Before last week he had one hundred for the whole year.

• Billy

May 14, 2017 at 2:46 pm

Now is probably the time to start ignoring him, as he’ll be close to 550k.

• Leeroy

May 14, 2017 at 2:51 pm

If he has some kind of role change which is resulting in these massive scores, 550K is pretty good value. The risk is that these are just two flukey games and he averages 80 for the rest of the year

• Foo Foo the Snoo

May 14, 2017 at 6:04 pm

Seems to be running through the guts a fair bit, and kicking as often as headache heath… and is on that massive deck every second week.

17. Leeroy

May 14, 2017 at 2:49 pm

Cam McArthy would have to be underated cash cow of the year. Up to 347,000, great job security, and this game is smashing his break even of 41

18. wiley

May 14, 2017 at 2:51 pm

anyone considering michael walters? Been scoring good last week and this week. He’s priced pretty cheap

• The Spud

May 14, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Warnie said the same thing last year, then walters scoring went sour

19. Mat

May 14, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Fuck fyfe

20. Mat

May 14, 2017 at 3:46 pm

Nic Newman playing

• Billy

May 14, 2017 at 4:52 pm

I am so tempted to start a F*ck Horse fanclub

21. LW

May 14, 2017 at 3:51 pm

Says who

• charlie

May 14, 2017 at 4:07 pm

Look up the team line ups.

• j

May 14, 2017 at 4:17 pm

Douchebag Horse Longmire, that c**t.

Traded Newman out

22. Nico

May 14, 2017 at 4:06 pm

I think Fyfe and N Roo will have to go this week if i have the luxury. Walters looks like a permanent mid now, he might be worth a shot.

Tricky week ahead, too many non playing rookies, maybe Rocky on the bench, getting close to byes

23. Seamus

May 14, 2017 at 4:10 pm

wew at this stage Im glad I left newman on the field and hampton as emerg. Hopefully newman beats hamptons 52. Wasnt much of a risk cos my last defender isnt playing

• Mat

May 14, 2017 at 4:34 pm

I have an opponent who done the same thing but had butler emergency, if Newman goes 80+ I lose. #kissedonthetip

• j

May 14, 2017 at 5:05 pm

Worst thing is that I had to keep Hampton, to cover a donut, and trade Newman out.

Again: f**k you Horse

• Seamus

May 14, 2017 at 5:56 pm

WOO and now hes on 77 at half time

24. Nat Fyfe

May 14, 2017 at 5:05 pm

Newman back to the reserves…2 goals let through in the first quarter…

25. Lewie-14

May 14, 2017 at 5:54 pm

Newman u gotta be shitting me ! U spud when on my ground and dominate when benched, bloody typical !!!!

26. Leeroy

May 14, 2017 at 6:09 pm

I’m against my mate this week in a league game, he put Newman on his ground with Tom Stewart as his emergency, just in case Newman was a late inclusion.

Lucky I had a big enough lead to counter it

27. mfawcett

May 14, 2017 at 6:32 pm

yep, exactly the same here. My opponent did exactly the same thing and Newman is KILLING it! 99 and not ev

• mfawcett

May 14, 2017 at 6:33 pm

even the end of the 3rd quarter yet!

28. AC

May 14, 2017 at 6:41 pm

Need to vent! Tackle taken off Z.Jones stats during half time then had to watch him all of the 3rd quarter being ignored by his teammates for a pathetic 5 point quarter! Need him to get back on the angry pills and hunt the footy to redeem himself.

29. Chud

May 14, 2017 at 6:45 pm

Going into the Sydney game I was up down by 10 points with Heeney to play vs Newman becausd my opponent didn’t have backup so he left him on the field as a donut. When he was named I was a bit annoyed that I fielded Williamson over Newman but backed Heeney in to convincingly win me the matchup, albeit a close one.

103 by the end of the third is ridiculous! How is he keeping this up. Why are Sydney constantly looking for Newman while playing out the back, when he didn’t even make the 22? Can’t believe this is happening. I’ve never had an opponent kissed as much as this.

• Lewie-14

May 14, 2017 at 6:47 pm

I feel your pain bud, kissed is a massive understatement !!!!