DT TALK

The Sunday Knee-Jerk – Rage Edition (part 2)

Well… we’re back. This was honestly never intended to become a rage edition part 2, however shit has gotten pretty loose this weekend. Most of the rookies get the big tick, but that’s as far as it goes. Things started well on Thursday with Gibbs proving a star down back for our teams. However throughout the rest of the weekend I had to take up a new profession. I’ve decided to become a potato farmer. I might team up with Roy, it’s a booming market. Where better to start my training than by coaching a group of spuds and watching them run around like they haven’t got a clue. Unfortunately half my crop got rained out and drowned, before deciding not to even turn up. It was mostly the expensive lot as well! Not only have a lot of us had some disastrous weeks, but we then have to put up with our mates bullshit about how they ‘skillfully’ escaped the carnage. Yeah right. Time to take a look at the **** stain that was Round 1.

The Legend

Whilst a lot of us had some seriously under-performing premos, most of our rookies were stars! One man that deserves a special mention is Wines (99). He was sensational in the middle of the park, not only winning the contested ball but picking up some +6’s along the way as well. Then he can tackle! Absolute star, a rookie mid you can place on your ground without any fear. Well worth the extra cash. Viney (86) deserves an honourable mention in a dismal team, another mid rook that receives must have status in my view. Probably Melbourne’s best player in his first game. Swallow (141) was incredible for North. In my opinion he is a legitimate 110+ option. Tackling machine! Gibbs (133) was brilliant in that last quarter on Thursday, he will be a star for our teams all year. Finally I can’t forget Gaz (135)! He is easily the best player in the comp currently, some of the things he can do are just freakish. Just sick back and watch the show. When he goes forward don’t panic! He’ll just slot 10 instead. Superstar!

The Sunday Chop

Where do I begin? I’m honestly lost in options to chop. Who do we hold, who do we chop? It’s going to lead to some tough decisions over the next week. Only 4 trades before price rises is a problem! However Bolton (51) is firmly on my chopping block this week. I was one of a few people who thought it would be a sick idea to try and abuse Sydney’s easy fixtures early. Good one Matt! You peanut. Taught me a lesson though, don’t do it! Robinson (21) was looking like a confused young boy for the first quarter, however he looked to be working his way into the game during the second. NEK MINNIT. Concussion. It will take a brave man to hold him, will he be back for next week? Tough one to call, he probably shouldn’t be. Whitfield (47) was talked up as a ball magnet, but unfortunately he didn’t turn out to be worth the extra 80k. I’d be chopping to Viney or Jones from Melbourne, both priced at $102,700. Longer (45) was a high class spud for my vegetable patch. To think he actually played well! Leuey please save me. I’ve had to cut many out, however Watts (16) was pretty impressive. I dunno who he killed to get it, but I want his invisibility cloak too! Now 60 points is usually considered a poor outing from a premium back (or draft pick). Maybe you’ll take 50 from a speculative mid pricer. 30 is a one of a kind nightmare! But 16 is nek level bad… How is that even possible?! Unrecoverable, you could have picked Zac Dawson and outscored him. Darren Glass doubled him. Enough said.

The Clown

Dayne Beams. I love how you play your football. You are the next DT pig, we like to call you the piglet. However WTF was that! Apparently he was never going to play… why even name him for god sake. It was a positive start to my Sunday with my successful rooks, and I was just inspecting my numerous failures whilst getting impatient for my Collingwood boys to rescue me! However you couldn’t even script his late withdrawal. Absolute fuckin piss take. You can do as much pre-season planning as you want, there’s nothing you can do about a player getting named whilst being injured! A summary of my weekend right there.

What we’ve learnt?

• Whenever you say things can’t get worse, they probably can.
  • Fixture frisking is about as useful as an ejector seat in a helicopter.
  • Ablett is the best in the AFL business. Class. I giggled when he kicked his 4th… Is that wrong?
  • The pig starts slowly every season. We’ll have to put up with his 120 shockers for a few more weeks.
  • Melbourne are one of the few potato plantations to be blooming better than mine. They are atrocious.
  • This season will be one of the most even of all time. There are at least 12 teams all showing fantastic improvement and will contest for 8th spot.
  • #FMDT may start to trend over the next few hours.
  • Watts will be a more consistent player than Naitinui at half back… Wait
  • Watts should also be reported for tanking
  • Unfortunately Robbo was disadvantaged when having to complete a concussion test… which he failed when not concussed.

This game sh*ts me

A lot of things in this game shit me. However it doesn’t matter what kind of pre-season planning you put in place, how much better your team is than someone else’s. If you cop a few late withdrawals, it’s over. Not only that, but your overall ranking could be unrecoverable in just Round 1, leaving you playing catch up for the rest of the season. Which is fine, but that’s why this game shits me.

At least we can start from a clean slate next week! I’ll be backing most of my premiums to bounce back, if not there’ll be some heads in boxes. Maybe even my own. I’ll take myself off suicide watch for now, however anymore injuries mid-week and the elastic may snap! Well done to those who avoided the carnage this week and managed to put together a respectable score. I’m finished on 1893, which I suppose could be worse. Bring on next week! And rage trading! Cheers.

If you enjoyed my raging and want a hittable punching bag when sh*t goes tits up, follow me on twitter @MattCraigDT. My views are honest, mostly helpful and occasionally entertaining! Also hit me up with any suggestions for who you thought were the Legends, Losers and Clowns, plus what you’ve learnt the past week. I value everyone’s opinion!

Roos_rule27

April 1, 2013 at 9:27 am

Thoughts on Josh P. Kennedy? Keep him? I think the mistake people made by making him captain is that he actually scores better against good opposition. (I made Swan captain)

1928/ with Bartel to come.

Also will Kennedy be a keeper for the season ? Predicted average?

Roos_rule27

April 1, 2013 at 9:34 am

He actually played really well just needed a few marks and some more tackles and would have got 100+

Mucho-grande

April 1, 2013 at 9:39 am

He’s top 5 scorer in SC but didn’t even make the 10 in DT. Last year against GCS he scored 95DT with 147SC

mufc

April 1, 2013 at 12:24 pm

the secnd kennedy is JJK yes if so i would potentially jump off him for someone like johnson when they become the same price tall fwdsd are inconsistent (cloke for exaple) they wont always score well unless of course they do what buddy does and play on a wing if they cant get the pill. kennedy though may be a keeper if he can average 80 for me as my fwd 6 not expecting to much for him after first score because he will almsot certainly ggo up in price

Roos_rule27

April 1, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I was talking about Josh P Kennedy (Swans) in both posts. What are your thoughts on him?

briby

April 1, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Once he swings his h/ball to kick ratio around, hope he does, he’s a keeper.

Sunderpants

April 1, 2013 at 9:40 am

My midfield:
    Swan 246
    Beams (Emg Wines) 99
    Danger 51
    JPK 87
    Greene 37
    Rich 46
    Lucas 47
    O’Meara 73

Had so much potential yet failed massively. How to fix it with only 2 Trades?

hugh_Jass

April 1, 2013 at 9:58 am

next week they could all spank out tons, you never know. But if you have some spare cash you could go Rich to Moloney then upgrade Greene to Ablett; or Pendlebury if you don’t have enough cash for Ablett

Magpie28

April 1, 2013 at 11:16 am

Rich and Lucas are stand outs for me… trade them for a rookie (Viney?) and your favourite premo you don’t have

deez go

April 1, 2013 at 11:18 am

1852 with Blicavs to come…
      My rookies let me down

graham allen

April 1, 2013 at 1:53 pm

lucky there is no relegation in this game, sunderland are pants!!!!

Aidan

April 1, 2013 at 9:40 am

1995 all up, Danger, Pav and Duffield all hurt, also expected more with Longer

Longer to become Leunberger should he play this week
    Will give Dneger, Pav and Duffield one more shot before pulling the trigger

Alex Coleman

April 1, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Leuenberger should play against the Crows at the Gabba

Mucho-grande

April 1, 2013 at 9:44 am

Is rage trade better than sex?

It takes me a few minutes for one and a week for the other….lol

KG05

April 1, 2013 at 10:06 am

Re Swan trade: if you’re doing it for the cash, that may not be the optimal trade to make – wait a week and you’ll no doubt find better given the carnage so far.

In terms of $, Swan tends to be the easiest to trade out and the hardest to trade in.

Agree with the Smith trade — will make you $ and one would think Berger is still a few weeks away from his usual output.

xpl

April 1, 2013 at 10:43 am

Anyone know if trades are reversible this year as they were last?

mufc

April 1, 2013 at 12:20 pm

yeah im pretty sure they are but you might as well wait until teams are announced

Brany

April 1, 2013 at 10:47 am

Please rip it up Bartel, after the week i have had i will be wrapped with 2000!!!

118 is the target

deez go

April 1, 2013 at 11:12 am

Trading out Wines for Mitchell
    Putting Viney out on the bench and Jones on
    Goodes on the bench
    Mitchell and Dwyer scoring like 30 each as subs
    Macaffer scoring 50
    And Melbourne losing by 79 points
    1852 after 21 players
    This game sh*ts me

mufc

April 1, 2013 at 12:16 pm

this post has confused me iss this what your going to do or what has happened if so why did you trade out wines for mitchell? i have them both cause they were good in NAB

deez go

April 1, 2013 at 6:52 pm

i did these things. I traded Wines for Mitchell because I am an idiot

Merill

April 1, 2013 at 8:03 pm

what is with everyone raging about Macaffer? Who really expected him to bust out anything above 70? His value isn’t in high scoring its in his low value and potential to make a little cash soon enough.

deez go

April 1, 2013 at 11:13 am

Goldstein my only good unique pick, 101 after having like 3 at quarter time

gricho

April 1, 2013 at 6:47 pm

It’s funny that he’s unique after his pre-NAB popularity.. Everyone got stuck into Currie for a little while and now he’s back to third in line haha
      Good onya

Thomas

April 1, 2013 at 11:28 am

Just need Bartel to Get 92 and I’ve got the 2000.

WastedOpportunity

April 1, 2013 at 1:50 pm

We will finish on the exact same score… :)

Andy

April 1, 2013 at 11:41 am

Happy with the rookies, Danger and Pav have another week to bounce back.

Not sure about JPKennedy whether he’s good enough as a premo mid?

1786 with Bartel and Varcoe to go.

mufc

April 1, 2013 at 12:19 pm

im trading jpk this week im all about giving them another go but hes a sc player, gets the hardball and earns points for that.
      he takes barely any uncontested marks or uncontested ball for that matter and this was against GWS a no go for me ill be bringing in ablett

Jorddogga

April 1, 2013 at 11:51 am

1797 with Bartel and Varcoe to play…. 100 or so below par?

mufc

April 1, 2013 at 12:09 pm

not too far behingd my score ill be playing catch up from here alot of uniques were poor

Gingy

April 1, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Swan, Ablett, Dangerfield, Greene, Fyfe, Embley, Lucas, O’meara
    (Viney, Jones)

I don’t even know where to start with the knee-jerking. Would like to bring in Wines this week, but which Rd1 spud to trade out? So many to choose from….

mufc

April 1, 2013 at 12:07 pm

had a feeling wies would play well but had him on the bench because i disnt even look at my subs just expected it all to be perfect

coxtapstoswallow

April 1, 2013 at 4:23 pm

embley out – wines in
      greene out = pendlebury in.
      embley will get green vest in a few games early this year.

mufc

April 1, 2013 at 12:05 pm

directed at warnie:
    thought your score said 2650 sorry warnie! thought you were a shoe in for the cash this week with players remaining from that score

Lukey85

April 1, 2013 at 12:46 pm

I think that was his Centrebet Fantasy team’s score, different scoring system.

The Chosen Won

April 1, 2013 at 12:06 pm

1994 Overall

Will Trade Whitfeild and Zorko out this week..

Hopfully 2000 + week 2

Good Luck

mufc

April 1, 2013 at 12:09 pm

dont trade zorko afer 1 game mate they were pumped and a good score was hard to get for a half fwd who was sore from early on
      if he doesnt perform again go to his house and bash him for all of us! ;)
      whitfield i would downgrade to wines or viney or even crouch if he plays but he could get the green vest so be careful

swans2011

April 1, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Hold onto Zorko, apparently he was a bit sore and had to play the game out in the fwd line.

Also, keep Whitfield for another week, prices don’t change until Rd 3. The Swans have never been a DT-friendly side, it was always going to be tough for him. I suspect he will do heaps better against Port (given that he isn’t the sub).

mufc

April 1, 2013 at 12:12 pm

to be honest im quite happy with karnezis’ score, you cant expect to much om him at that price and he scored that without even llooking interested. if they win next week (not sure who they are versing) he will get 75+ if he doesnt so be it ill keep him untill he starts to dip in price

anyone considering higgins? just a thought and im also considering inson as hes there only genuine ruck (j.roughead is horrible) suban is coming in for armstrong this week dont trust armstrong and never did hell go bang this week and get 100 just to annoy me

swans2011

April 1, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Don’t get Shiggins, he will only cause you grief.

mufc

April 1, 2013 at 12:26 pm

ahaha just wondering if anyone else was considering him. wouldnt do it myself but could be a unique even if his scores sre gold because people just wont go there anymore after how many times hes burnt people in the past

mufc

April 1, 2013 at 12:26 pm

*minson as hes WBD only genuine ruck

Lukey85

April 1, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Yeah, another 10 points ors so would have been nice but he was named in the best so his JS looks good. Bigger problems than Karnezis at the moment lol.

Roos_rule27

April 1, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Thinking something like

Martin => Byrnes/Varcoe

Whitfield => Brad Ebert

thoughts?

Roos_rule27

April 1, 2013 at 12:31 pm

actually na scratch that

Carlile4Coleman

April 1, 2013 at 12:52 pm

definitely scratch that, martin and whitfield will both come good

Hawk4life

April 1, 2013 at 12:49 pm

1895/20. Bartel and Roughead left. Pretty happy overall. No major stuffup if it wasn’t for Longer and Macaffer. Other than the lowest score was Pittard’s 62. 16/20 players scored 70+ so that’s positive. Rookies were fantastic. Next round, probably go Longer-Leuenberger and Martin-Wright.

Ingoes

April 1, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Watts
    Mitchell
    Longer
    Z Smith
    Lucas
    Zorko
    Dangerfield

I got fricken 1788. Great year for an invasion, shit DT score.

I never wanted Longer and should have backed my original decision to cover Leuenberger with Blicavs and have the 89k ruck at R4. Be surprising if Blicavs isn’t my top scoring ruck for the round and I have him on the bench, and I could have used that dosh elsewhere e.g. getting Moloney instead of Lucas.

I’ve gotta learn to ignore NAB cup form when it comes to established players. I had Matty Wright and wound up turning him into Zorko after a worrying game by Wright and a great one by Zorko. Again, I would have had a bit more coin for other options if I had gone Wright not Zorko.

Had Cloke and decided to switch to Riewoldt who has a really easy early draw.

I think Lucas > Wines this week, and then do something with Longer. Switch to Leuenberger hopefully

lochie

April 1, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Hmmm, there is about 5 serious gambles there Ingoes. I recall last year you were a little more conservative.

My only gamble didn’t pay off at all (Mitch Clarke), glad I only took one this year..

leetrevor81

April 1, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Don’t worry about Zorko he will outscore Wright over the season.

I don’t think Wright will have a bad year but I see him averaging in the 90s and Zorko averaging 100+

Simon Russell

April 1, 2013 at 1:13 pm

FACEPALM!!!!! A 99, a 74, a 60 and a 50 just chilling out on the bench whilst a 58, a 52, a 51 and a WHOPPING 24 rack up the wrong scores for me in Round 1!!!!!!! Looks like another season of catch up!!!

Mina

April 1, 2013 at 1:17 pm

bartel- late withdrawl. fuck.

The Seamen

April 1, 2013 at 1:23 pm

April fools is overat 12pm

Alex Coleman

April 1, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Is this a joke?

Mucho-grande

April 1, 2013 at 1:52 pm

As as funny as IF Franklin did a Beams. Heater couldn’t play because he had the $h1t$ yesterday

Thomas

April 1, 2013 at 1:26 pm

April Fools?

graham allen

April 1, 2013 at 1:41 pm

thank god there is still one game left. the fingers are itchy for a bit of rage trading!!!!!!!!!

Got atley in to cover rookie short comings in the back line at 311k not really happy with 40 points. scott lycett dud for 19 points.

thinking of going atley – suban, lycett – varcoe. only thing being hanley’s report. bollocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thoughts??

Still managed what seems a resonable 1879 with bartel to go bang 121

lochie

April 1, 2013 at 1:55 pm

FMDT!

Sitting on 1733 with Roughhead (HAW) to go – not happy but not totally DEEmoralized yet.

Why this game sh*ts me:

1. Thought I’d take a gamble with Clarke (42) with a sore ankle.
    2. Last minute put Rampe (32) on ground and left Viney on bench.

Why I love this game:

1. My backline saved me and averaged (93.9)
    2. There is always next week.

Knee-jerks: In: Kreuzer, Swallow
    Out: Clarke, Deledio

The Chosen Won

April 1, 2013 at 2:04 pm

LATE CHANGES
    Hawthorn: Brian Lake (calf) replaced in selected side by Max Bailey
    Geelong: Nil

FINAL INTERCHANGES
    Hawthorn: Liam Shiels, Jack Gunston, Shaun Burgoyne
    Substitute: Jed Anderson

Geelong: Mark Blicavs, Paul Chapman, Mathew Stokes
    Substitute: George Horlin-Smith

Hislop5

April 1, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Does anyone know if trades are reversible this year?

jack

April 2, 2013 at 1:32 pm

yep there is

hussy

April 1, 2013 at 2:38 pm

1890 with franklin and bvilskdfl or whatever the geelong ruckman’s name is

good score or?

leetrevor81

April 1, 2013 at 3:16 pm

This round if you make over 2000 your doing well from what I can see of the other scores. My score will finish up around 1850-1900

28. Burger

Burger

April 1, 2013 at 3:10 pm

1st time DTer – 1684 with Bartel, Murdoch & Varcoe to go. Hoping for something in the 1900s. Letdowns Danger, Zorko, Rich, Longer, K Stevens & Goddard (like everyone else)

DoubleA

April 1, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Sigh. There is so much knee-jerk rage in my team, I’m almost tempted to just leave it alone and pretend this week never happened. Where to even begin with the likes of Zorko, Dangerfield, Z Smith, Bartel, K Mitchell, K Harper, Fyfe, Martin, Goddard, Hibberd, Whitfield… oh and had Viney on the Bench because I figured Mitchell was a better bet. Yah that went well. The only two punts that seemed to have gone well were having Hanley (and it looks like he might be in trouble with the match review panel) and picking Kreuzer. Otherwise it’s just dead-set decimation. Even bought in to the whole, GAJ/Franklin might not score well early…. Disaster. I really can’t decide whether I should have my deckchairs to the port or the starboard side. Is it better to have a view of the iceberg or the ocean. I don’t know.

R.Swipe

April 1, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Oh for crying out loud – now Bartel’s stinking it up! All he needed was 57 to crack the 1900 mark. Oh well, he’s my last player, at least it can’t get any worse.

Dan

April 1, 2013 at 5:40 pm

That was so bad this weekend. I won’t make 1900

Dan

April 1, 2013 at 5:59 pm

1899… So f***ing close to 1900, would have been happy with over 1900 based on the start I had last week, some stupid decisions cost me big as well. I lost over 100 points cause of them, some hard decisions coming over the next couple of weeks and with LeCras out I have lost one trade already

dario

April 1, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Bartel with 42 at 3qr time then makes 47 in the last…..why couldn’t you do that all game!

Ben

April 1, 2013 at 7:23 pm

One word broughton!
    Did it last yr too

Beefrodd

April 1, 2013 at 10:07 pm

I’m thinking about JPK to Swallow… Too soon?

Also hoping Lids will tear it up next week or he may be on the block for Pendles….

Feels too early to be making these calls based on one week but with two trades each round barring injury I’m not against chasing form.

jack

April 1, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Team Name: juST.KILDA
    Round 1 Score: 1982
    DT Studs: Swan, Ablett, Gibbs, Wines and Rockliff
    DT Duds: Toumpas Dangerfield and caf
    On the Chopping Block: Dangerfield, toumpas
    Vent/Brag/Whatever: not much

Goaled Finger

April 2, 2013 at 9:24 am

Started the round with high expectations. My heart a flutter, a spring in my step. By yesterday afternoon I was bruised, battered, beaten and blue.

Thinking of renaming my side Chris Brown!