Deck of Dream Team

Nathan Fyfe – Deck of Dream Team 2013

Nat Fyfe has a lot to offer us AFL Dream Team coaches. We have seen that across the last couple of years with some outstanding perfomances Unfortunately injuries have followed him. A troublesome shoulder and even a suitcase caused frustrations last season. Anthony looks at his worth in 2013.

jan27_fyfeName: Nathan Fyfe
Club: Fremantle Dockers
Position: Mid
Assistant Coach 2013 Price: $458,500
Bye Round: 11 (Shared with Brisbane Lions, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide, Richmond and Western Bulldogs)
2012 Average: 89
2012 Games Played: 9
Predicted Average: 101

Why should I pick him?

Potential. This is the purest reason for why you should pick Nathan Fyfe this year

He showed this potential in 2011, when in just his second season Fyfe played every game bar one. Posting high scores of 137 and 120, while only dropping below 80 three times.  He finished the season with a 98 point average. Massive potential.

Unfortunately 2012 didn’t go as smoothly.

He started well, posting 124 against Geelong and looked set to have massive year.  This fell apart in round 3 where he dislocated his shoulder in the 2nd quarter against Brisbane, getting him subbed out and finishing with 22 points. After a week off to recover, Fyfe then played round 5 against Carlton where he still posted 91 points while in obvious discomfort (unable to mark or tackle with both arms). During training the following week Fyfe dislocated his shoulder again, prompting Fremantle to send him to a specialist.

Fyfe missed 13 games while recovering, then returned in round 18 where he was subbed at 3 quarter time with a massive 89 points to his name. He then went on to play out the season. He finished the year with a healthy average of 89 points. However, if we take out his injury affected 22 then Fyfe averaged 97 points per game, which should really have him priced at about $500K.

I believe this qualifies Fyfe as an under priced gun!

I can see you thinking, ‘Those numbers are fine Anthony but no good to me if Fyfe’s shoulder will implode on impact!’

Well you can pick him with a little more confidence knowing that after round 5 last year he underwent the ‘Latarjet procedure’ on his shoulder. This was the best thing Fremantle could have done for Fyfe as while it does take 12 weeks to recover from, it is one of the most successful shoulder correction operations, boasting an incredibly low 4% recurrence rate among athletes playing impact sports! Surely with 2 trades per week, 4% isn’t a season defining risk.

The last reason for why you should pick Fyfe is that he’s the type of player who seems to hurt you most when he is in your opponents line up. Fyfe makes sure he’s never out of the contest with 2nd and 3rd efforts and is constantly hunting the ball. Leading to the kind of mental torture where you swear you hear the commentary ‘Fyfe lays a tackle, picks up the ball, handballs to Fyfe, who kicks long to Fyfe, who marks and goals!’

Why shouldn’t I pick him?

The 4% chance of re injuring his shoulder is still higher than a player who’s never had shoulder problems.

This year Fyfe is only available as a MID selection. Coupled with his ‘awkward’ starting price he may not fit your team structure.

It’s always safer to choose midfielders who fly under the oppositions radar while quietly accumulating points… Fyfe is not that player. He will cop the tag most games, though he has shown he can still score well while being tagged (109 on Scott Selwood, round 19 last year) this will not always be the case.

Last year Fyfe averaged 2 Free Kicks against per game. Each time a player gives away a free kick 3 points is deducted from their score. Meaning by the end of the season Fyfe may have cost you 141 points.

Fyfe had been on a modified preseason up to the beginning of January due to ‘growing pains’ brought on by his body adjusting to the extra 15kgs in muscle he has gained since his debut.

Plays under Ross Lyon

Last season he was a late withdrawal after being injured by a suitcase… seriously, your an AFL player and a freaking suitcase took you out!?

Deck of DT Rating

KING – I know it’s a big call but I truly believe that if you take a punt on Fyfe (and he escapes the 4%) this year you’ll be rewarded with a keeper. With the 2 trades per week I think his risk factor is far outweighed by his reward and the fact that he is $50K under priced makes him a lock for me. Add that with Fremantle’s midfield finally fit at the same time, being fed the ball from Sandilands and supported by Mundy, Barlow and Hill, I don’t see why Fyfe wont finally break into the 100 point a season average he’s been so close to in the past.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER: @Anthonydsmith86 for ramblings that may involve Dream Team. Got something to say about the deck? Use the hashtag… #DeckofDT.

Joining the DT Talk writing team in 2013, Anthony is a West Coast boy (man, we have a lot of Eagles lovers here) and he will bring us plenty of great content again this year. @anthonydsmith86.

rainman

January 27, 2013 at 8:15 am

Nice write up mate.

I love the Knife, but can’t pick him from the start. If he goes berko consistently, he may make his way into my team post bye.

Unfyfenbelievable

January 27, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Goes without saying.

A lock for me.

Got to have a few players you love watching.

rainman

January 27, 2013 at 9:58 pm

As your name suggests ;)

Pettiger

January 27, 2013 at 8:36 am

Good work Anthony. I think Fyfe is a gun but the awkward price and injury risk won’t see him starting with me. I’d probably prefer Zorko at that price.

Mutton

January 27, 2013 at 10:43 am

Ridiculous thought taking Zorko over Fyfe, this guy will explode this year…

Pettiger

January 27, 2013 at 11:39 am

Yes, absolutely ridiculous, Zorko is a spud, what was I thinking?

Dream on!

January 27, 2013 at 11:48 am

+1. I actually don’t know if Brisbane’s easy draw will help Zorko as he averages better in losses, however he is far from a ‘ridiculous’ pick.

Pettiger

January 27, 2013 at 11:57 am

Also has the DPP advantage which some people seem to be forgetting.

deez go

January 27, 2013 at 11:39 am

Fyfe is a gun. With the new structure, he is probably a good choice. Plus, his ceiling is bigger than Zorko’s IMO, more potential.

Adamant

January 27, 2013 at 12:35 pm

His ceiling is not higher than Zorko’s.

Zorko’s highest score is 140, which he has gotten twice. Fyfe’s highest score is 137.

Zorko had 5 x 110+ scores from his 16 games last year, Fyfe had 4 in 2011.

These stats can be deceiving though, as Fyfe had multiple scores in the 100-108 range.

stew42

January 27, 2013 at 5:54 pm

And why on earth would you select Zorks in the mids?

Big Feller

January 27, 2013 at 9:10 am

Great article Anthony.
    I remember my smartest decision last year was to trade the Knife immediately when he first did his shoulder which proved to be wise in hindsight.
    Not sure I’ll go with him to start this year but I agree that I’ll be sweating if my opponent has him and I don’t.

Richard

January 27, 2013 at 9:33 am

I think every team should have a Fyfe or Mundy. They have similar price and present real value.

To be honest I can’t separate them at the moment. Leaning towards Fyfe because I have a man crush on him, but Mundy has proven to score big as well.

Brappinalong

January 27, 2013 at 9:41 am

Nice write up. Fyfe has been in and out of my side as M6 – currently out!! @ 458k he represents value *if* he can go on to producing an average of 100+ otherwise Ball,Embley or Moloney will score similar whilst being cheaper…decisions.

AFFEL

January 27, 2013 at 11:25 am

+ 1 .. Mundy also .. Pick a top 10 midfielder or someone that has room to make you cash ..Embley,Ball

Anthony

January 28, 2013 at 2:08 am

My only problem with Ball and Embley is the worry that Ball may be eased into the season and Embley may be wearing the vest quite often. They’re both on list with a multitude of first choice midfielders so theres no need to risk either. Where as someone like Fyfe has already been eased back into the game last season and is now raring to go!

Lucas

January 27, 2013 at 10:40 am

He’s been a lock for me from the start. Not only has he put on four or five kilos of muscle this pre season but with Hill and now Pearce in the side he may escape the tag quite often, especially at home games.

Nick

January 27, 2013 at 11:15 am

yeah why not

if he trips over a dingo trade him out no biggie

AFFEL

January 27, 2013 at 11:31 am

Hey Anthony how can you say he could become a keeper ? as a forward yes ..but midfielder ? you think he can become a top 10 midfielder this year ?

Anthony

January 27, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Not necessarily a keeper based on score, more like the fact that he’ll be able to sit in your M6 position and you won’t have to worry about him. Focus on upgrading elsewhere knowing your still getting points out of him (valuable POD points…)

Antipasto

January 27, 2013 at 12:26 pm

That makes no sense.

Ethan

January 27, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Hey how about you thank Anthony for the article, he has put in his time and effort to inform you and all you can do is have a dig at him? Also he does makes sense re-read what he has posted!

Anthony

January 28, 2013 at 2:05 am

Cheers Ethan, I probably could of articulated my answer a lot better but then again I was pretty damn hung over… (it was a little earlier here in the west)
            I really wanted to say I feel Fyfe will push into the 110 avg bracket this year but I don’t want to be completely burned for my crackpot theories… (like he could also win a brownlow this year) so instead I’ll just say I think he’s definitely worth taking a punt on ;)

AFFEL

January 27, 2013 at 12:28 pm

He does represent value if thats how your going to use him. He’s just a bit too much for me id like atleat 100k profit or a premo instead.

mattcraigdt

January 27, 2013 at 2:28 pm

You reckon you will fill 8 elite mids come the end of the season? I reckon Fyfe will average 100+ hence he is certainly a keeper.

Brappinalong

January 27, 2013 at 3:02 pm

2 trades a week allows you to turnover rooks a heap more then ever before – I’ll have 8 uber mids and then some!!

AFFEL

January 29, 2013 at 8:03 pm

@mattcraigdt ..I have 6 normally, with 44 trades i would be disappointed if i didnt have 8

Fyfe4Lyfe

January 27, 2013 at 11:59 am

As much as he can score well and is Fyfe the Knyfe, I just can’t fit him in. Too many gun mids, perhaps an upgrade target if he explodes. The new weight he has will definitely allow him to throw his body around more, but he is keeping his fitness by all reports.

Adamant

January 27, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Great write up Anthony.

Since Virtual Sports have given us the 8 mid spots, I have been tossing up between Fyfe and Mundy for ages.

I honesty think Fyfe can push a 105ish average, and being priced at 89, he represents awesome value. I think what I like about him the most is his consistency. He’ll pretty much guarantee you 90-110 every week, with the occasional 120+.

I’m not sure if he’ll finish in the top 10 mids (I have him predicted him in the top 13-15 range) but I think he will average similarly to a guy like Redden, and is 75k cheaper.

He’s in my team at the moment, but I’m really 50/50 on him. NAB Cup will be the decider.

Anthony

January 28, 2013 at 2:00 am

It is a tough decision on whether to take a punt or not. Especially considering the talent around him in Martin, Mundy, Zorko, Wright and such. They’re at that price where you wont be able to have all of them so you really have to choose between them. Without the hindsight of a crystal ball it’s pretty tough but I honestly think they’ll all shoot around the same. I can just see Fyfe having that extra chance to push the bigger numbers more consistently. (be great if he could have a 2012 dayne beams breakout year)

mattcraigdt

January 27, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Sitting pretty at M4, been there since the start. If he remains fit he will be there until round 23.

POK

January 27, 2013 at 9:05 pm

M4?? Sounds like a bit of a weak midfield. Couple Mid-pricers?? Not that i should be saying anything cos my midfield isnt the strongest

mattcraigdt

January 28, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Swan, Ablett, Pendles, Fyfe, Ball, Embley and rooks.

Adam

January 27, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Fyfe or Mundy?, Fyfe or Mundy?, Fyfe or Mundy?….ahhh just cant decide

Carlile4Coleman

February 17, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Fyfe

Mason

January 27, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Warnie, Roy and Calvin will you be doing any preseason episodes any time soon? they were really helpful last season.

Warnie

January 27, 2013 at 7:24 pm

First one out on Feb 1.

Mason

January 27, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Look forward to it!!

14. POK

POK

January 27, 2013 at 9:07 pm

My favourite player in the comp outside my own team. Demands a spot in my side just through the way he plays and my love for him. Locked at M5 :)

Anthony

January 28, 2013 at 1:55 am

I think he holds that special place in a lot of Coaches hearts. It’s tough for me to like him as a West Coast supporter but at least he makes freo games worth watching! ;)
      *ducks angry freo supporters*

g73scratch

January 28, 2013 at 12:24 pm

im a west coat supporter and so was he…just about a lock for me

dools

January 30, 2013 at 1:38 am

Great article man! The 4% stat is a doozy and gives plenty more food for thought to those holding off purely due to injury concerns. For me though Mundy will make you happier come Mundee mornin, but currently have neither.

Woz

February 6, 2013 at 11:01 am

Ball, Embers and Moloney are certainly cheaper. But the only chance they have to Av the same as Fyfe this year is if he pops his shoulder in the 3rd qtr every game.