Calvin's Captains

Calvin’s Captains – Rd. 11

Yep, you’re back and why wouldn’t you be? This is clearly where you find the best captains advice there is going around. Get in there and find out why Dane Swan isn’t in my top 5 this week!

Yep, you’re back and why wouldn’t you be? This is clearly where you find the best captains advice there is going around. Last week was very interesting for me as for the first time in a long time I had Swan at #3 but I still got comments like “predictable Calvin’s Captains…” ha ha man some people a muppets. That comes from the comments the week before of “Why read CC’s when everyone just goes Swan at #1”… ha ha I can’t win! So, I’ll keep soldiering along and just keep telling you who I think will smash it up from week to week…

So arrggg me mateys… let’s get in there and check out the good I have for you this week

Melbourne Give It Up!

They certainly do and that’s why this week I am tipping that Jobe Watson and his Essendon friends will have millions of points against the Demons. In the last few weeks, Melbourne have allowed opposition midfielders to score at will. Marc Murphy scored a nice 145pts last week and Juddy managed 133pts and even Mitch Robinson had 131pts. Then you can have a look at what the Saints had on them the week before where ‘out of touch’ Montagna (151pts) and Goddard (122pts) carved them to bits. Jobe Watson is my obvious hot tips this week for the Bombers (if he plays) as he had 110 and 117 in his last 2 against them. He’s averaging 106 at the MCG this year and if he has fully recovered from crying about his hammy… he should kill them!

A Rucking Good Lesson

This week, Dean Cox will be one of the most selected captains… because he plays the Suns! Coxy has already played the Suns this year in a shortened NAB match where he topped scored for both teams with a nice 99. Cox is also playing at his home ground, Patersons Playground where he has averaged 121 there so far this year. Add that to Coxy’s hot form where he has had 113 and 125 in his last 2 games year. But these are the stats you need to see…

Recent Ruckman Vs Gold Coast
Rd. 6 – Tom Bellchambers = 95pts
Rd. 7 – Leuenberger = 110pts (52 h/o)
Rd. 8 – Sam Jacobs = 106pts
Rd. 10 – What’shisname Vardy = 70pts

Now, these guys are not in the league of Dean Cox, not even close and if they can knock up 100+ scores with just getting 15 or so touches… Cox will give the Suns this week, a rucking good lesson!

Grand Final… x2

Last year when Collingwood and the Saints meet in the Grand Final x2… it was huge! Brendon Goddard was the man with 110 and 128 in both games and carries a great record against the Pies with scores of 96 and 97 also coming in 2010. But after his knock last week and his ‘dodgey’ form, you’d be mad to be considering him this week. What about Pendlebury though? He appeared to bounce back into some form last week scoring a nice 131 on the Eagles. In the Grand Finals last year he scored 141 (29d) and a 70 (19d) with a received a fair bit of attention on him from Jason Gram. In 2010 before the Grand Finals, Pendles scored 119 and a 70. A little up and down for my liking and although I think he’ll be good this week… this is not enough to make my top 5. Then we have Dane Swan. Swan isn’t in my top 5 this week for several reasons. His form has been terrible with scores of 89 and 94 coming in his last 2 games this year. Swan has been surrounded by injury clouds the last few weeks and his scores are clearly reflecting this with just 1×100+ score coming in his last 4 games this year. Not Swan like at all. In the Grand Finals last year, Swan had a huge 141 (26d) when it mattered the most in the 2nd final and just 86 (21d) in the first. In both games, Swan attracted the “CJT”… the Clinton Jones Tag, one of the hardest taggers in the game. So how will Swan cope with poor form and a CJT… I’m tipping not too good. Now, with that said Swan is still a champion and has solid history Vs the Saints with an average of 119 against them last year. But, for me… I’m passing for the first time in a long time.

The New Swan?

Last week, I like many cashed in on the fact that Joel Selwood was playing the GC Suns. He knocked up a nice 116 which happened to be his lowest score in his last 6 games this year, proving that this guy is in mega hot form! This week he is playing the struggling Bulldogs on his home court! At Skilled Stadium, Selwood has already posted 124 and 129 there this year (from his only 2 games) and will fire down there again. Over the last 2 years, my boy Joel has played the Doggies 4 times for scores of 139, 45, 136 and 110. Now, that yucky 45 was in the QF in 2009 when he was tagged out of the game by Ward… but he bounced back in Rd. 20 of 2010 ripping the Moles tag to bits with 35d and 2 goals, a game they went on to win by 101pts. Lock in this guy this confidence!

So there you have it. Selwood and Cox the main picks this week with a little daylight between 2nd and 3rd picks. Flip a coin, both these top 2 boys will be awesome. All the best and I hope you drill a ripper!
See ya next week!

Do you need a Captain? Then Calvin will help you out. Don't want a Captain? Calvin will tell you anyway. The man who digs deep into stats will help you pick a great captain and give you plenty of Fantasy advice. Follow him on Twitter: @CalvinDT

Alex's All Stars

June 2, 2011 at 6:25 am

What to do…

Upgrade Duigan to Enright this week
    OR
    Upgrade Buckley to Shiels/Hodge/Mitchell?

tkol

June 2, 2011 at 8:44 am

Dont get Mitchell it will break your heart.
      After my basketball game sunday night I quickly jumped in the car to check the half time DT scores and was so bloody happy to read that Mitchell was on 90. He had 13 points in the 2nd half.
      Dont do it to yourself, Mitchell kills.

Lukes Legends

June 2, 2011 at 8:52 am

And as a result LUKES LEGENDS was victorious over the less than impressive TKOL

Innocent Criminals

June 2, 2011 at 9:15 am

I think you need to move on with your life now Luke.

If you keep drawing attention to your league victory you over the torpedoed and lilting heavily to starboard SS. TKOL you are going to risk being accused of gloating, or of resting on your laurels.

tkol

June 2, 2011 at 9:42 am

Lukes Legends is a DT Talk stalker. I might need to put out a DTTalk AVO against him.

Lukes Legends

June 2, 2011 at 9:43 am

Crim – let me tell you something about TKOL.

When it comes to DT, what you all see on this blog is about 5% of how arrogant and full of himself he actually is. He once come past my house and let me tell you sequence of events…

TKOL says: Ablett is averaging 98 this year, get him after the second bye.
            LL says: pretty sure he is averaging 102.
            (LL was correct)
            LL says: does this make me a better DTer than you?
            TKOL: changes the subject
            (next day on email)
            TKOL: “Don’t ever question my ability in DT in front of the boys”
            LL: Laughs and moves on with life.

That is the reason why making sure TKOL is aware of his loss to LL is not just a fluke.

Innocent Criminals

June 2, 2011 at 11:19 am

Too funny. You gotta love TKOL. It took me a while to “get” him but the kid’s alright.

Alex's All Stars

June 2, 2011 at 10:18 am

Luke’s banter aside, you have a point about Sammy Mitchell I was blown away when I saw his score around half time but regardless, he still polled a 100+ score. He’s often the one who sits at the back and gets the kick out of stoppages where as Hodgey tends to throw himself in there and risks injury.

Shiels may be the better choice, even if he is a tad more expensive… only about 1% of coaches have him.

I think I’ll go for Enright this week, Buckley has more growing as my cash cow where Duigan is fat and ready.

Lukes Legends

June 2, 2011 at 10:24 am

Good point Alex… i would assume that hawthorn will be a team to watch for the rest of the year… For me they are equal 3rd / 4th with the blues in terms of chances this year… This is why it would be wise to get a few hawks in your DT.

The Hawks V Pies game will be massive.

Innocent Criminals

June 2, 2011 at 11:12 am

Agreed, I would choose Hodge over Mitchell for my 6th mid (it’s out of Hodge or Murphy for me).

tbetta makes the point clearly in his piece this week that the reason Hawks backs are doing so well is due to their game plan, so it is hard to go past Suckling.

I just hate paying over the odds for anyone, which is why Broughton is strangely attractive at the mo’.

Three upgrades and I’m set, one on each line. The only question is do I fund these through the sale of Big Sandy, or by using more trades and all cash cows and then having a weak bench due to the lack of good downgrade targets.

Maybe I’ve answered my own question, but hard to let Sandy go this early in the piece.

westy711

June 2, 2011 at 7:14 am

im goin cox this week

Shaun Dawgs

June 2, 2011 at 8:55 am

Not sure who to get in to my team this week
    Selwood or Hodge?

My mids are: Pendles, Swan, Boyd, Montagna, Curnow, (Hodge or Selwood), if I get Hodge I have $129 600 left in bank, if I get Selwood I will have $63 200 left. My team is not completely set as I need 1 maybe 2 more guns in my DEF therefore I may need that extra $66 300. Also my mids are strong as is and if Selwood is in there it may be a little top heavy compared to other positions.
    Thoughts?

DVDACats

June 2, 2011 at 9:10 am

After watching the Hawks last week and how they are playing I will be chucking the Big C on Hodge. If you don’t gamble every now and then you have no hope of winning. 3 scores of over 100 in a row and they are playing the Dorkers. Hodge will tear them apart as will Suckling. Now that would be ballys but he could rack em up too.

DVDACats

June 2, 2011 at 9:19 am

Calvin, maybe as a way of creating a bit more interest in the article ( not that it needs it ) you could have your top 5 and a smokey. Someone out of left field, like a Suckling or Hodge for this weekend. Everyone loves a good smokey.

Case

June 2, 2011 at 9:56 am

Do you think that the Hawks will stick to the high possie footy for the rest of the season though? (semi unrelated but interested in your opinion)

DVDACats

June 2, 2011 at 10:04 am

I certainly do. I think they are developing this style for one reason only and that is to beat Collingwood. The same way Collingwood developed their game style to beat Geelong.

lancelot

June 2, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I’m doing the same
      hawks game plan is working for them so they wont change it
      they will smash freo this week at the G

SunnyGazza#9

June 2, 2011 at 9:30 am

who to upgrade next week????

Irons>Sylvia(300kbad idea???)
    or
    Kraukeur>sylvia

or krakueor to didak if he gets 80+

Thoughts
    ???????

Hill End

June 2, 2011 at 9:38 am

One word says it all:

yamamaluvsbigCOX

tkol

June 2, 2011 at 9:40 am

How the hell has Hodgey gone from barely being able to walk to pumping out monster hundreds. Somethings just not right this season, the stars are out of line. Now Swanny is suddenly retarded and cant crack the ton and off to Fkn Arizona!
    If I trade Swan he will average over 130 for the rest of the season! The Persian army is just too strong!

the-real-zohan

June 2, 2011 at 9:53 am

it’s impressive but hodgey won’t average the same as the elite mids for the rest of the year. I’m still tossing up between Thompson and Gazza for my final mid spot. Thompson has a huge ceiling but his work-load might decrease with the crows playing terribly. Garry might score too many sub 100 scores though…..

Case

June 2, 2011 at 9:58 am

I am battling the same dilemma…..but then if watson comes back this week do you think he would be a better option then Thompson? I know he has the round 24 bye…bit other then that…

Case

June 2, 2011 at 9:59 am

Around the same price from recollection.

the-real-zohan

June 2, 2011 at 10:00 am

@ Case, i can’t get Watson as my #1 opposition has him + hamstring issues have hurt my players in the past. Gazza vs Thompson for mine.

Case

June 2, 2011 at 10:07 am

Fair enough…Im first year and tempted to take the punt….hopefully it pays off!

Leaves me Swan, Boyd, Mitch, Selwood, Gibbs, Watson.

But I may have to miss on Dids then!

the-real-zohan

June 2, 2011 at 10:09 am

I can see it’s your first year with Gibbs in your midfield…

Case

June 2, 2011 at 10:13 am

I know! But the deed was done at the start of the year so have stuck with it and my defence (Delids, Shaw, suckling, god, heppel, Duigan and reman 4) could be worse so I thought I would just run with it!

PurpleArmy

June 2, 2011 at 10:36 am

you can always get a back/mid dpp in the backline (preferbly a rookie) and switch gibbs with him then you can get a another better Mid??

looseygoosey

June 2, 2011 at 9:44 am

Smokey for captain, Boomer Harvey. Will be pretty pumped for a massive game after coping some criticism during the week and ties Kangas games record this week. Could be a 160er…..

DVDACats

June 2, 2011 at 9:48 am

Great call Loosey. When he has been challenged in the past he has racked them up the next week.

Magoo

June 2, 2011 at 9:45 am

I’ve had Dids since day one and he has drained me emotionally. Good score last week though suggests he may about to turn the corner, he’s super cheap atm.

Sylvia has been the best forward so far without question. If ya need the cash go Dids, if not Krak to Sylvia all day long.

Magoo

June 2, 2011 at 9:49 am

@ SunnyGazza #9

tkol

June 2, 2011 at 10:06 am

@ Magoo

I dont like Dids chances this week against the Saints. After the bye though he should repay the faith and pump out many hundreds on end!

jb

June 2, 2011 at 10:27 am

selwood or murphy ??

Hill End

June 2, 2011 at 10:37 am

Murphy – blues will rake up 400+ possessions against port

jb

June 2, 2011 at 10:40 am

yeah that’s who i was leaning towards, alot more unique too..

Mega-Goat

June 2, 2011 at 10:49 am

Im putting murphy as captain as well, bloody hero

DVDACats

June 2, 2011 at 11:25 am

Beware the Kane Cornes tag.

jb

June 2, 2011 at 12:02 pm

kane cornes plays half back now and hasn’t done a decent job on anyone all year.. i put this down too he doesn’t want to be there expect him to be at another club next year.. most likely GWS

skrob

June 2, 2011 at 6:10 pm

kane cornes tag is deadly and will go straight to murphy

eagles_rule_379@hotmail.com

June 2, 2011 at 4:40 pm

should i have coxy or pendles as captain?? got big game this week!

squid

June 2, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Did you even read the article? I think the top 5 list says it all.

And as a fellow eagles fan – you gotta back the big guy to tear em up this weekend.

andrewmifsud

June 2, 2011 at 6:04 pm

should i put selwood or swan captain this week or even judd?
    a

Flogging Hip Star

June 2, 2011 at 7:15 pm

MARK MY WORDS. GAblett will make a big score this week. I’m an Eagles man and we never really tag premo’s out of the game. Plus it’s his 200th!! If you have him, chuck a C on him!

fivestar

June 2, 2011 at 9:04 pm

hmmm, its a hard one. I put the C on him last week for a 92. I thought he would kill it against Geelong but in reality he was never going to. He almost averages 100 at Paterson and his last 3 against WCE have been huge with a 110, 127 and 155! Do you not think the Selwoods will put a really tight tag on? Because im keen to risk it again. Fuck it! Im doing it, lets just hope he outscores Cox

Flogging Hip Star

June 3, 2011 at 11:55 am

Yeah mate, he does love Suby! As for getting tagged, as much as I love the Selwoods, they barely take anyone out of the game completely (and I watch every game)!!

I like your style Fivestar.. risktaker! :)

yertle

June 2, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Calvin, do you think you could give us a hand??

I am going to finish off my mids this week-do you think I should get Rischitelli or Hodge??

Such a tough decision-I’m thinking Risky, as he has been consistent throughout the season so far

swans2011

June 2, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Putting the C on Hodge over Jelwood and Cox this week! Playing a strong team in Eliminator – so need to do something a bit different this week. Hawks game style is perfect for DT and against a Sandi-less Freo outfit should top 2000 Dream Team points as a team again – and hopefully 140+ for Hodgey!

Haha hopefully Hodgey doesn’t score a sub 100 now that everyone has jumped on the bandwagon!

JungleMuffin

June 3, 2011 at 1:39 am

NEVER CHOSE A RUCKMAN FOR CAPTAIN.

Or something like that D:.

I picked Sandi for round 7, but that was a forced call. It’s a totally different thing to pick someone else when Swanny is playing D: I’ve got Pendles and Swan, so at worst I should swap between the two, but even then, here I am thinking Swanny will burn all the doubters with a 130+ this week D:

In poor form, to Swanny, or not to Swanny, that is the question.

mattyb

June 3, 2011 at 4:25 am

He is injured. Its as simple as that. Why risk it

kenjo

June 3, 2011 at 2:56 pm

lol i love how jobe watson is in the top 5 but isnt even playing, got my hopes up for a little bit there, maybe next week eh …

kenjo

June 3, 2011 at 2:57 pm

oh and coxy as captain for me and pendles VC, i gotta feeling coxy will get 130+

Fidel Ironfist

June 3, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Quick one for you Calvin … any reason why you didn’t include Hodge in your top 5? The man has hit form and you would expect another huge score this week with the Hawks playing that Freo rabble at the ‘G. And yes, he has the big C for my team this week!

mtooler

June 3, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Murphy or Selwood for me.

Benatration

June 4, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Took Selwood a half to get too early 30s….took Cox just half a quarter. Right captain choices could make or break some weeks

hisk0

June 4, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Calvin you legend because of you i chose cox over selwood

thanks a lot wouldnt care if he got subbed at half time

vornstar

June 4, 2011 at 7:17 pm

hope you all went for coxy! happy with that but still think murphy will kill port… great call calvin

HSVKing

June 5, 2011 at 2:33 am

Thank you Mr Cox!

25. Slappers

Slappers

June 8, 2011 at 4:29 pm

thanks Captain… i went cox for rnd 11… and i will be going him again for rnd12…