Club Previews

Collingwood Magpies: Dream Team Preview

The PieMan brings us a preview of the 2010 Premiers, the Collingwood Football Club. After you lock in your walk up Captain, Dane Swan, who else should you be looking at? Some value in Andrew Krakouer?

This is the next of our submitted Club Dream Team Previews. Thanks to Pie Man for sending this one in! You will receive a stubby holder and if your article is one of the two that gets the most Facebook “Likes’ (just above this blurb), you’ll get yourself an AFL Prospectus! Read on!

2010 was the year the ‘Pies broke a 20 year drought and showed to the AFL world they would be a force for the next 3 to 4 years! They also pulled out a lot of dream team guns such as the usuals of Swan, Pendlebury and Didak but they also had a lot of players who had break out years in the dream team world and Dale Thomas is a great example of that!

The 2011 list is a lot different to the 2010 one. Yes they still have all there premiership players but they have lost the likes of Presti, Lockyer, Fraser, Medhurst, O’Bree and Jack Anthony which gave them a lot more room to bring new faces into the club. The two biggest are of course former favourite son Chris Tarrant who returns after 4 seasons with the Dockers and Andrew Krakouer who was a dream team slut in the WAFL and knows what its like at AFL level too, playing 102 games and kicking 102 goals for Richmond.

A few young blokes who just came off the rookie list are Lachlan Keefe and Tom Young. These two kids won’t play round 1 but look out for them as a downgrade option later on in the season!

Collingwood’s byes are in rounds 7 and 13 so thats great to get those byes over and done with early in the year.

Collingwood will make the top four again and will start the season premiership favourites as they deserve to so you expecte them to have a lot of great dream teamers once again. We might even see some more break out seasons from some younger players such as Sidebottom, Beams, Wellingham etc etc.

Defenders

Collingwood probably have the strongest backline in the AFL but not so many of them are great dream teamers. Your O’Brien’s and Maxwell’s will only average about 60 at most and your Reid’s and Brown’s will average even less. The only ones I would even think about picking are Heath Shaw and Chris Tarrant as a smokie.

The last two seasons I have been sucked into Shaw as he is a great player and has a lot of dream team potential. He is priced at about $334k and last year showed he can score well with his best scores being 143 and 111 but he can also be shocking with scores of 48, 49, 50 and 51.
While Taz still hasn’t got a spot in the pies best 22, if he is named round one he might not only play down back but he might also play along the wing and up forward. But at 30 and with a recent history of injuries he would be a HUGE risk! Anyway I will pass on all Collingwood backmen.

Midfielders

This is where you will find a lot of Collingwood’s best dream teamers. Lets start with Dane Swan! He is the best dream teamer in the league, in fact he is probably the best dream teamer of all time (sorry Gaz and Bucks). The last 5 years he has averaged 102, 102,103 then an amazing 119 and 123! This guy is a a must for all teams! Like Calvin says its like picking two players because you just put the C on him every week!

Scott Pendlebury is the next player I am going to talk about. This guy is simply a gun! He averaged 98 in 2009 which is pretty good but he didn’t become one of the best in the league till last year where he averaged 106. The only problem with him (and the rest of the players I am about to name) is that with the byes you pretty much only want one Collingwood player in your midfield and almost everyone will have Swan so Pendles could be a good upgrade option after Collingwood’s 2nd bye!

Dale Thomas was a lock in my team until I found out he was only named as a midfielder and not a forward but if you are looking for an unique pick he could be your man! Last year was his break out year where he averaged 95 and this year I reckon he can go a step higher and average 100 plus. He showed he really is a big time player in the two grand finals. If there was a Norm Smith Medalist for both of the Grand Finals put together Thomas probably would have just beaten Goddard. He got scores of 135 and 112.

Then you have your three young guns who could be ready for break out year in Sidebottom, Beams and Wellingham. The whole dream team world was disappointed when we found out Sidebottom was named only as a midfielder but at his price you still need to think about him! He is coming into his 3rd season and we all know what thats means! This boy is going to be an out and out gun both as a player and dream teamer! At just 19 years of age he almost won the Norm Smith Medal in the replay and he made sure it counted in dream team as well getting 113 points! Like Thomas he is a big game player, we knew that before he even started in the AFL when he kicked 10 goals and got 30 something touches in the TAC Cup Grand Final!

Beams is also coming into his 3rd year as well and like Sidebottom its disappointing he isn’t named as a forward! But still this kid can play! He averaged 76 in his first year and last year averaged 87! Not bad! Don’t be surprised if he can average 95 plus this year! Keep an eye on his pre season.

Wellingham is coming into his 4th year and last year showed a lot of promise averaging 81 and getting some pretty good scores of 123, 112, 110 and 102. I reckon this year he will take another step and average 90 plus and be another unique pick!
Also another player you should watch is Luke Ball who averaged 92 in his first season at the pies and he will be looking to improve again (95 plus average). He will be priced at about 385k. You can also pick Didak and Krakouer in the midfield but I will talk about them in the forwards!

Rucks

The only one worth talking about here is Darren Jolly. Everyone is talking about Sandilands, Cox, Fraser etc etc but this man derseves a thought! He had a rough start to last year as he was just getting use to a new club but after round 10 he averaged a very good 90 points pre game to prove he is a premium ruckmen!

Forwards

Probably the best magpie named as a forward is Alan Didak. The last three years he has averaged 95, 103 and 99. Although he hasn’t had a great pre season so far, recovering from that shoulder injury which he played the whole finals series with. I did hear he is back on track though so watch his NAB cup form!

The man who everyone is talking about in the dream team world is Andrew Krakouer. I have heard a lot of people say this man will be the next Michael Barlow. Well lets get this straight, there will never be another Michael Barlow. Andy K as I like to call him has to prove in the NAB cup that he deserves a spot for round 1. Personally I reckon he will and I think he will have a good season. I am thinking maybe an average of 85 plus. He was never a big scorer for Richmond but he will get a lot more midfield time at the pies.

One of my real smokies for this year is Brad Dick. This kid is easily in Collingwood’s best 22 when he is fit and going! But yes he is made from lego. In his only full game last year he kicked four goals to help Collingwood draw with Melbourne. Thats really showing the kids got talent. He could be fighting with Krakouer for a spot in the 22 but I can see them both playing round 1. Dickie will be as cheap as chips and deserves to be thought about even though he is a bit risky.

Sorry to do this to you Roy but Neon Leon Davis is my last player I am going to talk about! Remember back to 2009 when he averaged an amazing 99 and the year before when he averaged 84! It shows that when he is at his best he is a jet! I still reckon last years bad form was due to injury and playing up forward a lot more. If he can get his body right and play a lot more time in the middle again he will be a bargin! So watch what Mick does with him in the NAB cup and if he is named round 1 really think about him. At this point I will probably pass but you never know! Like really, when to you ever come across someone who is around 230k who averaged 99 just a couple of years ago!?

Thanks for reading,
from PieMan.

tom

February 3, 2011 at 6:22 pm

First. Just wanted to add that Dale Thomas is INCREDIBLY consistent

Mollyfud

February 3, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Just a lazy 85 avg for Andy K? If he did that I would pee my pants! Would settle on 70k and a nice upgrade player! If he got to 85, could hold his spot as a specialist Multi-position player!

Who is putting him as a mid, and who a Fwd?

bingo bango

February 3, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Definately as a forward for me

eeepobreci

February 3, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Fwd, for my structure.

Warnie

February 3, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Neither. I don’t think he will get a game to start with. But there is still a long time left in this preseason!

PieMan

February 3, 2011 at 7:03 pm

I am picking him as a forward.
        Mick wouldn’t have got him if he wasn’t going to get games.
        I think he will bring a lot to a already great team.

bingo bango

February 3, 2011 at 7:11 pm

I agree, his WAFL form last year was consistently good which shows he has matured as a footballer (hopefully of the field as well). If he can produce that form in NAB cup he is sure to be given a chance.

Benatration

February 3, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Yep. Good NAB Cup = Start in side

nostradamus

February 3, 2011 at 8:06 pm

l heard he’d been training with the backs…… if he worked out as a running half back he could be good value

Reecefm

February 3, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Im with Pieman im picking him, and its safe to say as a Swan Districts supporter if he wasnt playing last year for us we wouldnt of won as many games and wouldnt of won the GF, he got the ball all the time then he was feeding the ball to the other players dont get me wrong the other players were good too but Kraks is a step above, and even if he only avgs 70 or 85 like you say Pieman that is heaps and his price will rise so high!

got no idea who wouldnt want him at 139k and has played AFL before and great in the WAFL, tell me another player who gets 51 possesions in a state level competion? :)

Good write up too btw Pieman :) good luck to your mob this year and hopefully swanny can help me again with my DT :P

RiseUp

February 3, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Simon Hogan racked up 46 possessions in the VFL, and he cant even get a kick in the AFL.

Dont get too excited about Andy K, I think an average of 65-70 is on the cards.

Everyone is over ambitious with predicted averages, like any player can average 80 and above…. dreamers.

PRo_MoE1144

February 3, 2011 at 10:18 pm

u guys are CRAZY stats dont lie just look at this for example, the wafl grand final http://prowess.com.au/live/wafl/scoreboard.php?comp=WAL10&rnd=26&mtch=121 and he also averaged 120 dt points for the who yr in the wafl.

Coasters

February 4, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Its the WAFL not the AFL!

You’re right stats dont lie. Look at his AFL stats and thats when he played more in the midfield. He wont be rotating through the midfiled with the pies. If Leon has been moved out of the midfiled there is no way they will put Krak in the guts. He will be sitting in a pocket somewhere.

PRo_MoE1144

February 4, 2011 at 2:00 pm

boom shakalaka feast your eyes on this krakeour nay sayers! http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/107327/default.aspx

bingo bango

February 3, 2011 at 6:40 pm

good write up, will definately be getting on pendles and didak come round 14. Have shaw in my side for structure at the moment, but not really shaw if he’ll stay because of inconsitency, but risk may be worth the high ceiling.

bingo bango

February 3, 2011 at 7:03 pm

changed my mind already and have chopped shaw and stuck in enright, not sure what I was thinking!?!?!

eeepobreci

February 3, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Nice write up. Agree that most of the players you mentioned have a great chance to improve, but if that happens, who’s gonna drop???
    That’s the scary thing for me!
    In recent years Geelong often had many players scoring highly, so it is possible, but I’m not sure Collingwood’s game style will produce Geelong like DT scores?!?!
    Not sure about Krakouer, but I do like the Omen that he played won a Premiership for a team that too, won their previous flag 20 years prior!
    Any rookie smokies like a Luke Rounds???
    Good stuff.

PieMan

February 3, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Yesss Rounds is a gun. I reckon he could play a few games this year. I only remembered him once I sent this off :D

Tinkiri

February 3, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Is it just me or is this preseason going to be a bad way to judge our player. Teams are playing 2 games in 1 day so will obviously tired and not playing to their maximum abilities. You would think stars would be rested in game two and correct structures wouldn’t be used..

eeepobreci

February 3, 2011 at 7:30 pm

It’s only round 1 that it’s structured like that.

PieMan

February 3, 2011 at 7:31 pm

That is only in the first round of the NAB cup. The last three rounds will be back to normal.

magpies01

February 3, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Great write-up mate. Good advice on Andy K and Tarrant. Wellingham will be a star. Warnie, when will the rest of the articles be out by? Later tonight or tommorow?

magpies01

February 3, 2011 at 7:35 pm

BTW, do you think I should put Krakeour as a starter or a bench?

bingo bango

February 3, 2011 at 7:41 pm

If he’s playing he will start for me, but wouldn’t hesitate swapping him for Mzungu using dpp if Mzungu is scoring better

7. feathertopDT

feathertopDT

February 3, 2011 at 7:59 pm

For me i’ll take Krak and Jolly but thats it
    Swan is a maybe think about it
    Swan and Mclean or
    Boyd and Judd

The Johnsonator

February 5, 2011 at 8:56 am

boyd and judd/murphy

Z

February 18, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I’ve got Boyd and Judd at the moment.

westy1

February 3, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Nice write-up Pie Man. What’s the go with Macaffer? He seemed to hit his straps at the tail-end of last year, averaging 94 in his last 6 games with a couple of tons. What’s the likelihood of him carrying that form on? 3rd year player and all that.

PieMan

February 3, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Hmmm, haven’t really thought about him yet… Although he wouldn’t be a bad unique pick.

Bilby

February 4, 2011 at 2:40 am

Yeah, I looked at Macaffer, had a huge end of last season, but he’s not fully training yet, so staying clear.

Had Thomas last year, awesome consistency, he was my first locked forward this year until he was named as only a midfielder! Byes are killing the potential in this team this year, Pendlebury and Thomas set for huge years, but with their early byes it’s crazy to pick more than one from Collingwood in any position…

malteaser

February 3, 2011 at 9:38 pm

A young kid that might get a game during the year Josh Thomas. Just putting him out there.

Virgil

February 3, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Not sold on Krakouer just yet. I want to see him do something in the NAB cup to warrant selection in my team. He’ll be in and out of it a fair bit of the pre-season I think.

Disappointed Tooves didn’t get a mention, finished off the year in superb DT form (as did most of the team, actually).

PieMan

February 3, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I don’t ever really see Tooves being a good dream teamer.

Danger

February 3, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Not relevant to collingwood but definitely good information for DT:

Radio Sport 927
    Thu 3 Feb | Gold Coast Suns AFL Coach, Guy McKenna gives a preview of the new Suns team before they debut in the opening round of the NAB Cup

Find the link and have a listen. Interesting.

GJayBee

February 3, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Pieman, I knew that your Collingwood write up would be the one that made DT Talk. Good work.

We only have to pick 32 players. Swan is the 1st.

I think your spot on about Collingwood’s back’s not being DT material. I’ve had Shaw the last couple of years. (This is my third DT year, but I am fully addicted.) But I will be giving him a miss this year in exchange for one of those Freo boys.

Harry is a freak but will never die of leather poisoning.

Tarrant, no way.

Pendeles after the bye’s will be great.

Daisy would have been a dream up forward. I got him last year after Brown got injured and it was a pleasure.

Sidebottom is my freaking hero. There is a vid on youtube called ‘rusty’s day out’ which shows him come of age in the 09 final win against Adelaide. I loved that game and will never forget it. I can’t get him though. I am going to try and have six of the top ten midfielders and I am not going to use mid priced players to get them. Next year he might be a premium, but this year he is neither a Goddard or a Swallow.

Wellingham is a champ but I will avoid him for the same reasons as Rusty and his ankles aren’t a good sign.

Jolly, I am tempted to get him. But you have to have Sandi and I don’t want to upgrade my second ruck. I might have to as I am starting with Tippett (so I can do the Petrie thing) but I will not upgrade Tippett if he averages 70 and play’s every game. I would rather upgrade my back’s and forwards.
    (My ruck trades last year; Tippett to Kruzer to Seaby to Graham = burned to a microscopic joke)

I hope to God I upgrade to Didak during the year. That would mean he is playing well, but he is not a starter for obvious reasons.

Krac, well, he’s no for me. In WAFL he would have been given free reign by his coach. Do you think Malthouse will let him run free! He will be given a role. He will have to earn his place. But still he is a smokey at the price. If he playes some good games and there are a few injuries to other players, he could become real important real quick.

But if he pulls off a 80 average over 22 games, it would be a miracle. No one else would think that, but I would cause Collingwood would have gone back to back baby!

Brad Dick is a legit smoky. I got him when he was named last year and he lasted one and a half games. I am not game to get him this year. I hope he proves me wrong. I will forgive him.

As for Leon. He is a legend. Anyone who plays as many games as him and kicks as many goals at the highest level is a legend. He didn’t get in the papers for punching no one out or pulling his d*&% out in public.
    But (anything before but can not be considered) f*&% me if he didn’t love to kick goals after the game was decided. Weather we were in front or behind. I have jumped up from my seat at the MCG and roared as he lifted his index fingers in salute, but I wouldn’t pick him because I don’t think his heart and body are in it. I’m sure he wanted to leave a while ago. Still, the chance of a grandfinal win could make him rise to the occasion. But I doubt his body will respond.

I feel a bit indulgent writing that much. But it’s thursday night and I’ve had a few. Well done again Pieman. Let’s hope that October 2011 we can listen to the ‘Red Hot Chilli Peppers’ lyics
    ‘Back to back is a bad ass fact,
    A fact that remains intact’
    And think of dual Collingwood Grand final wins.
    Cheers

PieMan

February 4, 2011 at 1:07 am

Thanks mate :D
      GO PIES!!

aaron_11766

February 4, 2011 at 1:44 am

I’m not saying i’ll pick him, but I think a lot of people are under-estimating ben reid’s dt potential.

Fabregas

February 4, 2011 at 10:07 am

Thoughts on big Trav?

Priced @ 85 but averaged ~94 in the 2nd half of the season (with that mammoth 162 vs the Bombers in Rd 20)…

daniel

February 4, 2011 at 10:51 am

Hey guys wat do u reckon of this smokie team, obviously depending on what roles some players play during the nab cup. You convinced me on Tarrant as long as he isnt playing a key position.

Back – Goddard, Gibbs, Enright, Symes, Tarrant, Otten, Heppel (Coad, Markovick, Duigan)

Mid – Boyd, Pendleberry, Sylvia, deledio, kerr, Harris (tzungu, wallace, hibbard)

Ruck – Cox, Kreuzer ( Smith, Mcauley)

Fwd – Chapman, Franklin, Didak, Goodes, Riewoldt, Hurley, Matera (Smith, Mcneil, Callinan)

Pretty excited by this team as although no swan and midfield a bit risky it has bucketloads of dpp between mid/back and fwd/ Mid (about 10 players that can swap betwenn mid and forward) and even has a fwd/back swap. Could also use money left over to upgrade kerr to foley or even swap kreaser to petrie and bring in swan for someone.

WHAT DO U GUYS THINK???

slickReynolds

February 4, 2011 at 12:39 pm

No Swan or Sandi so you REALLY need to change that asap. Get rid of Tarrant and Kerr as well.. Tarrant being way too risky as a low scorer and Kerr just being Mr Risk in general. Even if Kerr somehow manages to stay fit for more than 6 games in a week he will no doubt get reported and go for 3.

swans2011

February 4, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Swan is a must have in any starter team. I reckon switch him for Pendles, and you can upgrade to Pendles later in the year when their byes are over. I agree with Slick: Kerr and Tarrant are TOO risky in my books.

I also think you’ll be missing out by not having Petrie, especially since he is a DPP. Switch Mcauley for a Fwd/Ruck rookie to interchange with Petrie. I’d personally have Petrie starting in the Fwd line.

daniel

February 4, 2011 at 9:34 pm

haha yeh i know, it was really just a team i thought id muck around with lol might try and tweak it up and get a couple more guns if i can. But its only speculative, my real team will look very different. Although i really love the idea of stacking uup on dpp, reckon it will be the difference between the average dream teamers and the top 100

Jameoz23

February 6, 2011 at 12:10 am

I think you could have done better than Cox in your team, I think Jamar will have a great year as well as the big man Sandi.

slickReynolds

February 4, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I really liked the idea of the Swan/Pendles combo until the whole bye thing kinda threw me off. Is anyone gonna risk it from the start?

I ended up getting rid of Pendles and put Hodge in his place so I hope that pays off.

I avoided Neon like the plague last year.. but with the risk is too tempting this year and I reckon he’ll get a run for me from the start. I want someone to convince me otherwise.. cos $266k is so good for someone that has averaged 99 previously!

slickReynolds

February 4, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I could go Knights and save myself $40k instead of Neon.. perhaps even De Boer at $221k or Petterd at $286k…

Thoughts?

swans2011

February 4, 2011 at 1:55 pm

C. Knights definitely for me. A classy, cheaper prospect, should guarantee an 80+ average. The only risk being is whether he can avoid injury for the majority of the year.
        Neon is also a risk…whether he can:
        1. Make the best 22 (Andy Krak could fill his possie! 4 goals in the Intra-Club match)
        2. Turn his DT scores around
        Is what I’m questioning. I’m definitely avoiding Neon.

Jameoz23

February 6, 2011 at 12:13 am

No, not yet but I am risking Dawes and Didak in the forward line and Andy Krak and Swan in the Mids.

snorks23

February 4, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I know it’s DT LAW that you have to pick Swan from round 1, but i’m thinking he could be a better round 8 trade. Theory being:
    -he’s already priced at what he’s probably gonna average for the year.
    -You’ll only get round 1, 2,3 out of him, then the multi bye rounds are on 4,5,6, and collingwood bye in round 7.
    -So for those going for league win, he’s only useful 3 of the first 7 rounds.
    I feel you could be better off picking up a premium midfielder who’s a little underpriced, and hopefully one of your rookie cash cows will have matured enough by round 8 to uprade to Swannie. Thoughts?

slickReynolds

February 4, 2011 at 2:15 pm

very interesting point… but dont you want the car too? :P

snorks23

February 4, 2011 at 4:43 pm

i’ll be pretty happy to settle for the $1000 on offer in our league for first place…

snorks23

February 4, 2011 at 1:29 pm

p.s. great write up pieman.

aaron_11766

February 4, 2011 at 2:14 pm

off topic, but for my bench, which 3 out of the five would you pick for your bench; puopolo, duigan, faulks, toy, or tape? Or any better suggestions would be good. Cheers :)

housn

February 4, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Of those; Duigan, Toy, Tape.

Batchelor, Watson, Heppell, Jacobs & Talia also worth keeping a close eye on during the nab cup.

aaron_11766

February 4, 2011 at 2:36 pm

alright, cheers mate :)

housn

February 4, 2011 at 2:40 pm

No worries. Having said what I did, though…

“…the most impressive new draftee was small defender Puopolo.

The 23-year-old from SANFL club Norwood was tough in close, mopped up well across half-back and displayed a desire to chase hard, putting him in contention to fill the role vacated by Campbell Brown.”

aaron_11766

February 4, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Ohh right, so basically watch nab cup closely haha.. by the way i have jacobs starting and heppell in my midfield.

snorks23

February 4, 2011 at 4:42 pm

saw something on the herald sun website saying jacobs has got glandular fever. Could be an iffy one.

Jameoz23

February 6, 2011 at 12:07 am

What about Dawes, he had a good end to the season last year. I have him in my side for this year, should I keep him in there or wait and see what happens for this year, because I all ready have Didak in the forward line and maybe to may Collingwood players could be a bad thing, what should I do???

sam

February 7, 2011 at 11:08 pm

hey pieman whats your thoughts on the new interchange rule affecting swans dt output? i know he’s a gun and prob one of the fittest players in the afl but being the highest interchange player in the afl is his game gonna be affected with him not being able to have as many rests? or is this gonna have an opposite affect and see him in the forward line more to rest and see him kicking more goals and being on the field more ?