Deck of Dream Team

Brock Mclean: Deck of Dream Team 2011

After watching Brock play the Bombers last year, I was very frustrated as a Carlton supporter. He looked too slow, unable to touch the ball and basically playing out of his league. With a heavy discount on the table, and injuries hopefully behind him, can he become one of the biggest bargains of 2011?

• Roy

Name: Brock Mclean
Club: Carlton
Position: Midfield
Bye Rounds: 8 & 23
2010 Average: 70
2010 Games Played: 6
Predicted Average: 83

Why should I pick him? After watching Brock play the Bombers last year, I was very frustrated as a Carlton supporter. He looked too slow, unable to touch the ball and basically playing out of his league. His year was cut short by injury and the games he played were also heavily effected by this. But, despite all this, if he is discounted down around the $200,000 mark, he must be considered. I’m going to forget that 30 DT point performance vs Essendon and look at his other numbers, keeping in mind he may be priced along side the expensive rookies. Last year in his 6 games he managed to average 70 (which includes that horrific 30 and a sub par 50). On the flip side of that, he also had two scores of 90+ (one of which was cut short with a rolled ankle). In 2006 he averaged 92 for the year, showing he has the potential to hold down a 6th midfield position. His last two years with Melbourne he averaged 83 and 86. Any DT coach would be over the moon with a rookie pumping out these numbers.

Why shouldn’t I pick him? At times last year he looked like he was playing dodge ball, not football, and that doesn’t add up to good DTing. He is one of the most injury prone footballers going around, the poor bloke has never played a full season and usually averages about 14 games per season.

Deck of DT Rating. JACK– If he is priced as low as I think he may be, It is a low risk option even with his injury history. As far as his pre season is going, Brock rejoined the main group after Christmas, and believe it or not, is in the elite group for time trials etc. This shows he does have a bit of pace when his body is right. As wierd a pick as this may seem, I think I would be prepared to pay a little more than the rookies for a guy who has averaged 92. Carlton have high hopes for him and didn’t give up their first pick in last years draft for someone to play seconds.

Holzman

January 7, 2011 at 7:24 am

will have to show alot in the preseason to even consider him with the likes of foley and tambling around, let alon the huge midifled rookie talent.

cadsky

January 7, 2011 at 8:18 am

this guy is waaaay over the hill. body cant handle it and not a team player. not worth it, not even at 200k. next!

PieMan

January 7, 2011 at 9:47 am

Thank you Roy!
    Finally my man has been done :)
    How could you not be thinking about him!? You would be crazy not to!
    This man averaged 92 and m0nty has him at 179k!
    If named round 1 and showing reasonable form he would just about be a lock.
    The only thing which could keep him out of my side is if I don’t have enough cash because David Swallow is still my first choice.

Just remember all the high hopes this time last year for old Brock.
    People were sayng Carlton’s midfield was complete now they had him.
    Also you can’t forget people were talking him up as Melbourne’s next captain.
    So one bad year because of injury and people are keeping away? Hmmm. Weird.
    As Roy said he still got two scores of 90! 2 out of 6 with injuires isn’t bad!

He is ahead of Foley, Tambling and Harris for me.
    If both players are fit and going Foley is a better player BUT Brock has always been a better DTer.
    Tambling is just shit house and will cost more then McLean anyway
    and Harris won’t make my side because I already have a Gold Coast player in my midfield (Swallow).

4. Calvin

Calvin

January 7, 2011 at 9:52 am

I’ve never really considered him to be honest.
    I’ve always thought he was just too old and crap. I’d be suprised if he is at the $179K monty has him at.

WARNIE…. find out Brocks price for us… contact the DT Gods!!

Warnie

January 7, 2011 at 10:19 am

I don’t know for sure, but he is unlikely to be at anything under $200K. If he averaged 70 last year from 6 games… he will only get a 10% discount. Making him priced at 63. Probably not cheap enough!

Mojohand

January 7, 2011 at 10:27 am

He may be crap, but he is only 24 so if he can get his body right he should be entering his prime scoreing years.

PieMan

January 7, 2011 at 12:12 pm

He is 26 ;)

Mojohand

January 7, 2011 at 2:01 pm

His birthday is 11 March 2006 according to his player profile on the Carlton website. I’ll split you the difference as he will be 25 for this season.

dockerone

January 7, 2011 at 5:03 pm

That’s one old looking 4 year old ;)

TheRavalle

January 7, 2011 at 5:04 pm

bloody hell thanks for clearing that up wasnt sure if he was 24,25,26 or turning 5 (being born in 2006)!!!!!.
            Oh and the supplementary numbers are……… lol

Mojohand

January 7, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Whoops. Hahahaha.

Going on my maths Brock might be a good option in Dream Team 2031

RiseUp

January 7, 2011 at 10:15 am

If he’s priced at that I’ll be on for sure, but there was a lot of hype around him last year and luckily I passed on his $360k price tag.

If Gibbs stays down back and Carrazzo plays his shit role tagging and getting no touches, then McLean should slip into that midfield quite comfortably, and do alright if he stays on the park.

Also remember Grigg is gone now too, which means McLean should be required to assist Judd and Murphs.

I think the key is his price tag, we’ll wait and see.

6. Roy

Roy

January 7, 2011 at 10:27 am

obviously i wrote this due to the price i saw on the fanplanner on monty’s site. i have no idea of prices. if he is priced that low, you would be silly not to track his pre season and consider. if he turns out to be priced at an average of 65 or whatever….. i wouldnt bother. thanks for the heads up on the low price pieman, that 1 was for you.

Josh H

January 7, 2011 at 10:43 am

I have him ahead of foley, tambling, and harris as well – but believe that he will be priced at approx $250K – $265K, therefore I wouldn’t take him at that price.

At $180K, if he continues his good preseason, and with Grigg and Hadley gone from Carlton – he would be a lock for me. Too good a player, and a DT’er to ignore in my opinion!!

PieMan

January 7, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Thanks Roy ;)

Ronaldo

January 7, 2011 at 11:20 am

Can you all please rate my current midfield?

Swan, Anthony, Beams, Shuey, Swallow, Gaff, Boak, Foley, Heppell (no order)

Anybody I should replace/bring in?

Bilby

January 7, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Even with a good backline, rucks and forwards, it’s not looking good!

You need to post a full team to judge it properly, otherwise you can’t see the strategy being taken.

Atto

January 7, 2011 at 12:15 pm

That’s the same midfield ive got, except for the fact that ive just swapped Beams for McLean

Fatty McButterpants

January 7, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I think it just comes down to price. If he’s priced as per Fan Planner and is named in the round 1 team, he is worth the risk regardless of how many other similarly priced mids you have because he just needs to play, say, 6 or so games to appreciate enough to have served his purpose. If he’s still scoring well after 6 games, you can keep him as your 6th mid until he gets injured again or trade him for a premium whose just had a couple of dirty games and dropped in price. If he’s much over $200k, he’s too risky.

CLARKSONS MEN

January 7, 2011 at 12:58 pm

under $220 he wil be LOCK AND LOADED

Atto

January 8, 2011 at 9:46 am

U mean under $220 grand, not $220!?

jim cowski

January 7, 2011 at 3:43 pm

absolute lock if priced like monty has him. but i have doubts over monty recently…

Calvin

January 7, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Oh Jim… little rough on the big fella

Fatty McButterpants

January 7, 2011 at 7:34 pm

I second that motion, Jim. Monty provides a free service that we geeks all crave and yet he seems to cop a lot of flack. Fan Footy and Fan Planner are not without their flaws but it’s a free service! When he starts charging for his website, then we can start complaining.

jim cowski

January 7, 2011 at 8:17 pm

what are you talking about??? me and montgomery are best of friends (you guys know him just as monty). i just beat him in golf the other day…

nah only joking. i suck at golf

look, i can see how my comment could be taken as having a go at monty, but that seriously wasnt my intention. i just disagree with a few of montys decisions regarding one or two discounts and player positioning. despite saying that, however, there was no need to say something because monty could very well be right in regards to the mclean discount and others like krakouers and the positioning of tendai.

fanfooty is a top site, with many useful applications like the forum and the fanplanner. These come in handy in the offseason and are used by a shitload of people. if monty did indeed start to charge for his services, im sure many people would be happy to pay, such is the quality of it all. i know i would. but bless his little golden and brown heart, monty asks for nothing in return.

all in all, i apologize for my comment and fully understand your reactions as monty cops far too much shit- all undeserved. he will go down in dt folklore as a jet and will sit along side buckley, swannie and the likes.

Calvin

January 7, 2011 at 8:29 pm

mate – I was only kidding around!
            Seriously ha ha…
            Butterpants – it’s all good mate, chill, we were was just messing about

Fatty McButterpants

January 7, 2011 at 8:51 pm

My bad. Sorry Jim, but all cricket and no footy make Fatty go crazy. STILL 75 DAYS! ARGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GJayBee

January 7, 2011 at 3:47 pm

If he is cheap enough I will consider him. But, he does have a sort of face that says, ‘I will let you down.’

Calvin

January 7, 2011 at 4:45 pm

ha ha he does doesn’t he

Mucho-grande

January 7, 2011 at 5:14 pm

LOCKED and LOADED

eeepobreci

January 7, 2011 at 7:25 pm

If he is $180,000ish then yes!
    And I know I’ll be saying, “kick the bloody thing……..”
    But if he’s fit & firing, could make up with tackles.
    In my squad of 52!

Nooie

January 9, 2011 at 11:19 am

I’m not sure about him, if cheap and good NAB cup form….. Possibly

Judd005

January 10, 2011 at 5:53 pm

If he is rookie priced Ill have to consider him coz’ he definately has potential to be a consistant performer in the right role and team. Like every other iffy player just haveto see what happens in the NAB cup!