Podcast

Collingwood AFL Fantasy preview 2023 – Ep. 561

PODCAST: Roy, Calvin and Warnie discuss the Pies.

After not having a player average more than 100 last season, will Tom Mitchell get back to his piggy best? It’s fair the say Roy, Calvin and Warnie are all in. Darcy Cameron is a big talking point of the pre-season as to whether the RUC/FWD will be a viable pick. Nick Daicos could be knocking on the door as a top six defender and is Collingwood’s most popular player.

Click here to download.

Arlo Draper DEF $200,000
Charlie Dean DEF $200,000
Harvey Harrison FWD $200,000
Cooper Murley MID/FWD $200,000

1. MiseryBestowed

January 26, 2023 at 2:07 pm

Cream them in the guts! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

2. Daicos4Brownlow

January 27, 2023 at 2:12 am

Collingwood’s biggest problem last year was clearances. If they could’ve improved their clearances, their close wins would not have been close, and their close losses would have been wins. Mitchell will get free reign in the guts. He will improve the Pies’ clearances. The risk is how Fly wants him to use the ball. Fly has Collingwood playing to his system, and it has reduced their Fantasy scoring. I think Mitchell will be fantastic for the Pies, but I am not convinced it will equate to brilliant Fantasy scoring. That said, he is currently in my side, but I will be looking closely at the pre-season games.

3. Bramwell Richmond

January 27, 2023 at 7:33 pm

I’m a Richmond supporter. I see Collingwood Finishing 2nd on the Ladder. People are high on Brisbane making the top 4. There has been so much talk about the talent they are acquiring but people are forgetting how much they have lost Tom Berry, Mitch Robinson and Dan McStay. Will Ashcroft is still a rookie and there is no guarantee he does a Nick Daicos. So really you are talking about Gunstun and Dunkley for a net no gain (Competition wise not fantasy scoring) I see the going 5th on the ladder. Back to fantasy and I digress. 30% of people only having Tom Mitchell is a boom to those of us smart enough to pick him. This number is crazy for who he is. I also am one of those individuals that has Darcy Cameron in as a forward. I’m taking Lycett and Meek in the Ruck and hoping for value mid growth. With the additional cash I am able to spread more cash over under performing premiums in my forwards, backs and mids. Ruck is just too speculative this year so I would prefer to Hedge with DC then overspend and be stuck with an overprice ruck diving in price if you make the wrong call.

• The Diesel Driver

January 27, 2023 at 7:38 pm

I, too, have Lycett and Meek, with Cameron hiding in the forward line if Meek is unproductive after 2 games.

• Dulcify

January 27, 2023 at 10:04 pm

At this stage my Fantasy rucks are Marshall and Meek with Cameron forward. Should Meek fail, Cameron goes into the ruck and then the search for a forward begins.

In DT rucks are currently Marshall and Grundy with Cameron forward.

• Squid

January 27, 2023 at 8:26 pm

I see Collingwood going backwards this year, possibly missing out on finals even, they statistically just didn’t match the rest of the top teams but credit where due they did do what they had to, tougher draw and no element of surprise might hurt them I reckon.

Also Gunston and Dunks are a handy upgrade, both AA calibre players which the blokes they are replacing were not.

I agree with you on rucks though and have Cameron sitting forward as back up also, the only “safe” pick seems to be English this year.

• Daicos4Brownlow

January 27, 2023 at 10:11 pm

I may be a little biased, but the Pies will improve this year. 2022 was their first year under Fly’s system. They were far from perfect, especially in clearances. Mitchell coming in will improve clearances. Due to their approach, I don’t think Titch will be able to track up massive scores, but due to his natural magnetic ways, and guaranteed CBAs, he will improve from last year – maybe 105-110. More importantly, he will secure the Pies a top 4 spot. That may not seem to be an improvement on 2022, but it was a scratchy result, while 2023 will be clear cut.

4. Bramwell Richmond

January 27, 2023 at 10:42 pm

Dunks 100% with you AA Elite. Gunston not so much. In that past 3 seasons he has only played 33 games. As a key forward he has never come close to winning a Coleman (consistently 20% off pace). His most goals in a game is only 6 goals. And he is in the twilight of his career. Don’t get me wrong he is a very handy forward. But asking yourself the question is he an upgrade on Mcstay…Maybe slightly. Will he stay fit? Probably not. As for Collingwood key player ins and outs. They lost Oliver Henry who measures below average on every measure. Brodie Grundy who is cover by DC stepping up. They improve their forward line with not one but two players who consistently cause opposition problems in McStay and Bobby Hill. And they bring in an elite midfielder in Tom Mitchell that is only 29 and Sam Mitchell must be the biggest plonker in the world. Collingwood improve by every measure. Brisbane is just a pass in my opinion despite the media hype. And yes I still think Richmond did the best business in bringing in Hooper and Toranto. I full respect your opinion and could easily be wrong. But I also looked at every teams fixtures weeks ago and ranked teams by players coming and going and there ladder position last year and fixture difficulty this year. I then went through every game and picked a winner and loser and estimated margins based on fixture complexity. So I haven’t just done a thumb suck. Doesn’t mean I’m right but here is my 23 ladder.

1 Geelong
    15 Hawthorn
    16 West Coast
    17 North Melbourne
    18 Greater Western Sydney

• Daicos4Brownlow

January 28, 2023 at 12:28 am

I tend to agree with most of your prediction. Where I would differ is near the basement. I don’t think the Weagles will be as bad, as their poor season was largely due to injury – not that they will get anywhere near the eight (above the Hawks, and perhaps Essendon). I think Hawthorn will be fighting to stay off the bottom, as they have got rid of so much experience in the guts and could easily struggle to get their hands on the ball.