The Thursday Scramble

The Thursday Scramble: Round 18

Can you play with a Fractured Thumb? Either way, it is time to Scramble!

Just when we start to think this game is getting easier, the Fantasy Gods throw a few curve balls at us to bring us back to earth! Lachie gets tagged, Clarry breaks a thumb, Walsh has a low score and Macrae didn’t hit 90! If you posted a big score this week then well done! If you didn’t (like me) then you should be ready to Scramble!!

The Pointy End of the Season is just about upon us

Just two weeks left for the minor round for the vast majority of leagues. Your top 8 should be just about set and you should know if you are locked in, no chance or fighting to make the finals. Unless you are in the top 100 in the comp or in the running to win a hat you have probably now turned your attention to your leagues and trying to win something from the season!

This is where your strategy can certainly change. In AF you have your two trades per week and unless you have some issues (like a Clarry this week) then you can use them to either pick up a unique against your opponent or match off their star to try and get that win for the week.

In RDT and SC what you can do is really going to be dependent on how many trades you have left. Realistically you want to have at least 2 trades left for the finals. You will need them for a season ending injury or you might need it to get a gun in for the grand final. The number of trades you have left will really dominate your decisions on the run home. So you really have to back in the players you have and hope that they can get you over the line.

Surely you don’t miss a game with a fractured thumb?

That is what Luke Hodge said during the commentary when we saw that Clarry Oliver had hurt his thumb. He has had surgery now and looks set to miss this week. There is still a slight chance that he could play given how early the injury occurred in the round.

So what do we do with him if he misses?

In AF you can most certainly trade him given you have the two per week. And realistically unless you have another premium sitting on your bench somewhere that allows you to sit him for a week you will miss out on a lot of points to your opponents if you play a bench cover rookie instead of a full blown premium.  If you are going to trade him then I would be looking at two players. Rory Laird and Jack Steele.  Laird has been fantastic this season and he would have been in a heap of starting teams if he didn’t break his hand in the preseason. Steele on the other hand has come back from his injury like he never missed a game! They also give you some good captaincy options.

In Supercoach or RealDreamteam you may be forced to hold him depending on your trades remaining. If you are down to 2 trades then you probably want to hold Clarry because he has such a high ceiling and if you trade him to someone else and are stuck with them for the rest of the year you may lose more points than you would have by playing a bench cover player.

For example you may lose 50 points this week by playing a bench cover guy over what you could get from a premium and holding Clarry. But if you trade him to someone that scores 120 each week on the run home and Clarry comes back and puts in a 160 along with averaging 130 then you would have lost out.  Confused?  I know I am! What I am saying is just do your maths and don’t just look at this week, you have 5 more weeks after this one and you need to take into account the scoring potential of your players across that entire period.

With any trades you make to move Clarry out with plans to get him back in next week, just remember that anything can happen and you might not have the opportunity to get him back in because other issues can crop up!

Things to Remember

• As we move closer to the end of the season, as I have said for a few weeks now, the Scale of Hardness becomes even more and more relevant.
  • Try and VC your top choice for Captain each week and have a realistic line option. In SC last week a number of coaches gave up Clarry’s 124 and chased Lachie Neale and that really burnt them.
  • If you need to use bench cover for Clarry or anyone else, try and use the emergency loophole.  Melbourne play in the second last game of the round so Clarry can be your loophole zero.
  • No Thursday night footy this week so you have plenty of time to assess what the team sheets bring you.

Best of luck for the weekend, things are getting serious and you can’t drop off now!  Sorry for the shorter edition this week as things have been pretty busy. And for those of you in Adelaide I look forward to catching up for a beer at the Highway next week at the Traders shows!

A passionate Port Adelaide Fan who simply loves footy! That is how I would describe myself. Catch my weekly article "The Thursday Scramble" with all the last minute things to think about for the weekend Follow: @pkd73.

1. George

July 14, 2022 at 8:04 am

DEF: Hewett, Docherty, Dawson, Sicily, Whitfield, Sinclair (D’Ambrosio, Wehr)
    MID: Neale, Oliver, Kelly, Macrae, Miller, Cripps, Hately, Brayshaw (Soligo, Owens)
    RUC: English, Jackson (Teakle)
    FWD: Dunkley, Coniglio, Taranto, Brodie, Coleman, Martin (Windhager, McComb)
    UTL: Tsitas
    Cash: 10k

Currently looking at Hatley and Soligo to Steele and Carmichael. Know that it’s not the right move with who I still have left on field, but don’t know who to get otherwise.

• Shan Shan

July 14, 2022 at 1:56 pm

Jackson should go first

2. jjbkeeper

July 14, 2022 at 10:43 am

Cripps+ Wehr > Laird/Steele + non-playing downgrade
    OR
    Cripps+ Oliver > Steele + Keays

I’m playing the second last in my league this round, so not concerned about points in that regard. Just want to keep pushing my ranking up. Finally broke Top 7K last round

• jjbkeeper

July 14, 2022 at 10:59 am

Cripps or Houston out first as well

• Boombers

July 14, 2022 at 11:25 am

I am in the same position trying to decide downgrade to Steele/Keays or Sinclair/Merrett…trying to quantify it by which players are likely to be the top 6 scorers for their position in the final rounds and keeping in mind what the top 100 are doing because I am just outside.

Personally I might downgrade to Bailey Smith and Merrett to be aggressive and in the knowledge both are likely to be near the top in their respective positions whereas Cripps does not look that way.

• Straight Shooter

July 14, 2022 at 5:20 pm

Bailey Smith has played 1 game since Rd 10 wouldn’t jump early

3. Liam

July 14, 2022 at 1:37 pm

Gday All,

Im stuck between a rock and a hard place this week and have 3 options…
    No chance for the hat and ‘SHOULD’ win my league games….. Should!

Option 1.
    Cripps -> Keays
    Jamieson -> 190k ruck.
    – Leaves me with Soligo covering for Clarry and Parnell at D8.
    – but also leaves me with the plan of banked $218k + Soligo downgrade to 190k rook, to trade Parnell up to a premo defender.

Option 2.
    Clarry -> Brayshaw
    Cripps -> Mills
    – leaves me with Parnell at D8.
    – also hinders who I can trade Parnell to as ill only have approximately $550k-ish

Option 3.
    Soligo -> $190k rook
    Parnell -> Hburg/Pendles/Vlastuin
    – means that I have to hold Cripps at M8 and don’t get to upgrade Parnell to the Def I realistically want and need, and then only have a Carmichael, Owens, Windhager or Durdin (if they play) covering Clarry.

4. jjbkeeper

July 14, 2022 at 6:01 pm

Unfortunately have to play a rookie this week. Mead. Wehr or Parnell?

• Mr Chow

July 14, 2022 at 8:58 pm

Parnell maybe

5. Andy

July 14, 2022 at 7:37 pm

Any concerns about Taranto’s scoring with Hopper back? He’s been named at forward pocket atm. Not sure whether to go Duncan or TT.

• Mr Chow

July 14, 2022 at 8:56 pm

I like Duncan but can’t afford him so it’s out of Taranto or Danger for me

• Andy

July 14, 2022 at 9:22 pm

I’m now thinking of going rogue (not in the hunt anyway) and picking Bazlenka for a final hurrah

• Mr Chow

July 14, 2022 at 9:32 pm

Could be a master stroke

6. Marc

July 15, 2022 at 12:42 am

Which is the better combo to bring in?
    Lloyd & Treloar vs Dale and Himmelberg

• brian Smith

July 15, 2022 at 4:00 am

With Bazlenka back, who knows what impact that will have on Treloar, and Lloyd could do anything between 60 & 110, so Dale & Him’berger look better to me.

7. Daniel

July 15, 2022 at 11:17 am

Trading out Soligo. wondering whats best for 704,000? Should I go Tom Green averages 90. or go for cheaper Dangerfield whos much cheaper and have extra money in the bank. seems to be in better form since hes come back.

• Bribyl

July 15, 2022 at 11:41 am

Save up to more money, this time of year trade in premos.

8. Doug

July 15, 2022 at 12:44 pm

Who averages more from Houston in DEF & Heeney up FWD??

Also, Keays vs Duncan vs the Doc, position doesn’t matter, just best bet for the last 6 weeks..

9. Angus

July 15, 2022 at 3:33 pm

Kiddy Coleman or Dangerfield to bring in this week?