Podcast

Bye strategy, Darcy Cameron F6 option – Ep. 512

PODCAST: Roy, Calvin and Warnie wrap up the round nine action.

Calvin has propelled himself into the top 1000 and is eyeing a hat… but the only one he should be getting is one with a propeller on it after his captain tips last week! Lift, Cal, lift. We’re only three weeks away from the byes – or nine trades in Fantasy terms – so we had better look at some bye planning! It’s not too late … just!

Click here to download.

Episode guide

1:30 – Round nine was a low scoring round.

4:o0 – Calvin has moved into the top 1000 overall.

6:45 – One week ahead of the pack, Roy was happy with Darcy Cameron coming into his team.

9:15 – Posting his first score below 100, Josh Dunkley was a disappointing VC option.

14:30 – The popular captain options this week let their coaches down.

17:00 – Does Patrick Cripps have anything to worry about with the MRO?

20:00 – News from the VFL and SANFL.

24:55 – Bye round strategy.

28:30 – Round 12 is challenging for forwards.

33:15 – Could you hold Nick Daicos, Nathan O’Driscoll and Jason Horne-Francis until their round 14 bye?

38:00 – Greg Clark is the most popular player selected ahead of round nine.

41:10 – Roy, Calvin and Warnie reveal their trades.

43:00 – Questions from social media – follow @AFLFantasy on Twitter and like the Official AFL Fantasy facebook page.

47:00 – Who goes first out of Connor Rozee and Zak Butters?

52:15 – Jordan Dawson or Dayne Zorko?

57:00 – Is Patrick Cripps tagable?

Find the podcast

1. Death Adders22

May 9, 2022 at 3:13 pm

Thankyou Warnie, I think same about Cal. King of Captains LOL

• Eruce Bates

May 9, 2022 at 4:18 pm

I you have something not nice to say please don’t say it Death Adders22. I hope your captains continously get tagged and injured for the rest of the season

• pendles4brownlow

May 9, 2022 at 5:01 pm

I love how you advised him to not say bad things about someone, and then you go and wish bad things straight away. There’s a word for that, isn’t there? LOL

• Warnie

May 9, 2022 at 6:13 pm

It’s just banter, Death Adders22. Fun that Cal and I have with each other as mates of 25 years. I know you don’t like our advice because you were burned by all these players we logged into your team an selected to make your season a shocker, but just embrace the fun of what Fantasy is!

• Mike

May 10, 2022 at 9:19 am

Spot on. Good fun. I appreciate the effort you guys put in. Helps a lot. Cheers.

2. Death Adders22

May 9, 2022 at 3:18 pm

Calvin Expert LMAO

• Eric the half a bee

May 10, 2022 at 9:51 am

Stop being such a Choozler

• Jag67

May 10, 2022 at 3:01 pm

Choozler?? That’s new. I like it.
        Please explain.

• Eric the half a bee

May 10, 2022 at 3:25 pm

It’s polite for f@@@wit. Unsure of its origin.

3. Death Adders22

May 9, 2022 at 3:36 pm

Didn’t Cal say last week that there are no Geelong players to bring in LOL
    ng

• Mike

May 9, 2022 at 4:27 pm

There haven’t been any Geelong players worthy to bring in thus far ya knob.

• john1

May 9, 2022 at 4:41 pm

he wasnt wrong, duncan has had his first decent game all year this week so wasnt an option last week

• Fritzel

May 9, 2022 at 5:24 pm

This game is also about jumping on these guys before they have there big scores to get ahead of the pack, no good someone going 150 and then everyone jumping on that player next round

• JungleMuffin

May 9, 2022 at 6:06 pm

Chasing fallen premiums with a proven record over several years is always an option, and generally the best one too.

• Warnie

May 9, 2022 at 6:15 pm

Hopefully that role continues. He’ll be F1 for the the rest of the year if it remains. Shame what we had seen leading into this had been pretty average. I wouldn’t have had the guts to bring him in… as I said on the podcast, the loss of Stanley helped him a fair bit I reckon (Blicavs into ruck, spot back there, Bews injured early).

• JungleMuffin

May 9, 2022 at 9:23 pm

I think he had an interrupted pre season too, so was always going to start off slowly and drop bulk cash. He’s definitely a viable candidate for a top foward, even without the role change.

• Mike

May 10, 2022 at 11:26 am

I might get him as everyone else is going Cameron. I’ve always wanted to stack my forward line with midfield types. So, here goes.

• Mike

May 10, 2022 at 6:27 pm

Indeed.

4. BestowedMisery

May 9, 2022 at 4:38 pm

Looks like Gawn is out for a week..

5. JungleMuffin

May 9, 2022 at 5:56 pm

I feel like Darcy Cameron is fools hold. Do people genuinely consider him one of the top ruckman/scorers inthe comp, just because he’s put up a few centuries?

Only a select few rucks put up premium numbers, and they are solo ruckman with proven pedigree.

Darcy Cameron spending 60% time in the ruck isn’t one of them.

This is just another Mid Priced Madness pick that just burns yet another trade that people could be using to advance their squad.

Fools gold, just like Rozee.

• Warnie

May 9, 2022 at 6:10 pm

I don’t love it, but for that price (still) he is a great F6 to run to the last round of the byes when there aren’t any FWD options screaming out to be picked.

• JungleMuffin

May 9, 2022 at 9:56 pm

For a quick cash grab for a couple of weeks while those tonnes are in his system and buying some time for other rookie options to appear, ok I get that, but keeping him around 5 weeks, I don’t know.

I’d rather shuffle some deckchairs around a bit, up/down to a rookie (there’s always options, even non playing ones are starting to become an option as many of us have enough cash on the bench to finish our teams) and premium forward/mid, then put the additional 300k into getting ahead in upgrading my squad. That extra 30-40 points from bringing a premium in a week earlier and being 1 ahead in completing our setups, in addition to the upgrade this week should easily outweigh any output that Cameron has over a rookie.

But I accept that everyone’s structure/cash cow setup may not be in a position where that’s an option.

I guess if Cameron keeps pumping out 110s like he has over the last fortnight, it’ll be a moot point anyway

• Charlie

May 9, 2022 at 7:54 pm

He’s playing Grundys role atm that’s why he’s scored back to back 100s.

• JungleMuffin

May 9, 2022 at 10:02 pm

Even Grundy wasn’t scoring like Cameron has the last 2 weeks. In fact, no ruckman in the competition is. Sure his role has improved, but hese scores have ‘outlier’ written all over them. Would it still be worth the trade and delay in completing our teams if he scores 75s-80s?

I’ll keep an eye on him this Friday before nailing my hat to the fool’s gold call, but that’s where I stand at the moment. Happy to walk it back if he averages 90-100 for the next 5.

6. Petez

May 9, 2022 at 6:53 pm

Hey Gents.
    Love the guide as usual.
    I’m stuck this week.
    I had witts to gawn until heard about gawns injury.

Would of had no.1 overall score last round if Hewett played instead of odriscoll lol
    I ranked 3rd last round. Only 8 points off Top round score.
    My teams Dazzas Diggers.
    I scored 2268.
    Jumped from 700 odd to 93rd overall.
    I’m up bout 3.5k spots in 3 weeks.
    Teams flying.

DEF
    Crisp – Docherty – Dawson – Whitfield – Hewett – Sicily (DE Kong, Odriscoll)
    MID
    Brayshaw (C), Cripps, Neale, Petracca, Miller, Macrae, W Brodie, G.Clark (McComb,Stephen’s)
    RUCK
    Witts, Pruess
    (Begg)
    FWD
    Dunkley,Parker, Duncan, Cogs, D.Cameron,Martin
    (Windhager,Baldwin,Skinner)

I went Durdin to Gclark
    Mead to D. Cameron

It means I now have Will Brodie in the mids,
    Odriscoll on Bench in defence.

I had to take both McCombs and Stephen’s scores last round. This new setup means I can now have both on the bench with Cameron covering 1 score and addition of G.Clark the other.
    The other idea was pulling the trigger on will Brodie to C.oliver. But that means il need Durdin, Baldwin or windhager to cover for 1 week. All terrible choices lol.

Can anyone else see another option

Cheers in advance

• Petez

May 9, 2022 at 7:11 pm

This setup means I flick 2 dead wieghts in durdin and mead. I would just need Cameron to get me through to bye round.
      But the temptation of Coliver vs eagles and North is extremely appealing

• Mike

May 10, 2022 at 9:15 am

That’s a great score Pete. Flick the dead weight, I’m doing it too.

• Petez

May 10, 2022 at 12:14 pm

Thanks mate. Yer im thinking it’s the right move. Increase cash flow. It’s a punt on Cameron, but as long as he goes 80+ average and generates cash till bye. Will work well. Il cut him at bye round

7. Bill

May 9, 2022 at 7:34 pm

Dixon was one of the naughty boys- that would have been why he didn’t play last weekend.

What’s wrong with Gawn?
    I just bloody well brought him in.

• Petez

May 9, 2022 at 7:58 pm

Gawn knee troubles. They face witches hats. Highly doubt they will risk him

• Petez

May 9, 2022 at 8:02 pm

He injured his knee against saints. Played through it. Been sent for scans

• Bill

May 9, 2022 at 11:44 pm

My trades won’t happen now until the teams are out on Thursday.
      I’ll switch off until then.
      If Gawn is going to be out for more than one week, he will be ‘gawn’.

• Petez

May 10, 2022 at 12:31 am

Bad news potentially for gawn owners is the awful timing of it. Melbourne have 2 easy wins in next 2 weeks. Meaning they won’t take any chances as the wins are a locked in. Eagles and Roos next 2 weeks

See what happens.

I’ve held Hewett for 2 weeks, maybe 3 coming up.

If you’ve got cover and the trades your making are paying off points wise and $$ wise. Holding can be okay.
        My last 2 trades while holding Hewett.
        I’ve offloaded fattened rooks and dead end rooks and brought Miller (140 captain straight up), Then last week traded in brayshaw 134 captain straight up.

So holding him hasnt really hurt me.
        Hopefully he’s back this week.

My point is depending on what cover you have and what trades your aiming for if they increase output. Holding can sometimes be okay if short term

• Bill

May 10, 2022 at 1:02 pm

I’ve also been holding Hewett, mainly because I thought he was only going to be out for one week.

Holding Gawn as well ties up too much cash.
          If English is back I might bring him in.

• Mike

May 10, 2022 at 2:50 pm

I ditched Hewett last week. English was a good get for me when Dusty walked away.
            Like you’ve mentioned.
            Just got to wait until Thursday.
            Have a few plans ready.

• Bill

May 10, 2022 at 5:30 pm

Hey, Gawn all good to go this week, according to Gawn.

There’s some good news.

• Mike

May 10, 2022 at 5:35 pm

• Dulcify

May 10, 2022 at 8:35 am

Naish was also one of the naughty boys Bill. He played.

• Bill

May 10, 2022 at 11:43 am

I guess they had to play someone. Couldn’t put the ball boys on the field.

Maybe they could have played some of the girls from the women’s team.
        They probably would have done better.

8. Damo

May 10, 2022 at 11:47 am

Touk still a good buy? Or pay up for the likes of Brayshaw? Can afford anyone but have Clarry, Neale, Macrae, Cripps

• Petez

May 10, 2022 at 12:04 pm

Byes are around the corner Damo.
      Trades from here on out should be targeted to bye structures

• Petez

May 10, 2022 at 12:07 pm

I traded in brayshaw last week due a great run coming up. Also works brilliant for my bye structure. I traded in took week prior due to a decent run coming up and cheap price. Brayshaw handles the tag better. But as I said. It really depends on your setup. You want a nice balance of premo players each bye round

9. Fred

May 10, 2022 at 12:07 pm

Cripps (Bye R12) for value or Oliver (Bye R14) for better bye round & run?

• Petez

May 10, 2022 at 12:09 pm

Personally Fred. I’d go Oliver
      Eagles and Roos next 2.
      Maybe look at cripps once bye done

10. Petez

May 10, 2022 at 4:07 pm

Just reading comments above.
    These guys do a wicked job with data and content. The advice is general and upto you what you do. No one has a crystal ball on this game.
    I’ve personally finished Top 100 twice, hopefully a 3rd time this season (hopefully lucks on my side, its not just skill, you need luck). And ive read the content on here from as long as I remember playing fantasy. So if I can do it, anyone can.
    It’s a great tool. They give you good information to base your decisions off.
    I’m ultimately accountable for my decisions.
    Fantasy is a fickle game. 2 or 3 bad moves and or few bad injuries can quickly set you back.

And if you don’t like the content. No one is making you read it lol

11. Mike

May 10, 2022 at 5:30 pm

Gawn is good to go this week.

• Bill

May 10, 2022 at 5:33 pm

Happy days are here again.

Now I’m hoping Hewett will be back early.

12. Mike

May 10, 2022 at 6:35 pm

Pretty much my starting lineup for Round 9.
    I think they’ll all starters now, with Gawn ok.

Short Daw Sh.tfield
    Sicdog Sinclair NOD

Steele Neale Touk Macrae
    Cripps Trac D’cos McComb

Gawn Preuss

Dunkley Parker Duncan
    Brodie Martin Cameron

• The Octopus

May 10, 2022 at 8:00 pm

Similar to my team, but where you have Combdog, I have Clacker

13. Mike

May 10, 2022 at 7:29 pm

I’ll VC on Neale vs Crows.
    Touk Cripps Trac Gawn if needed.

14. Mike

May 10, 2022 at 7:38 pm

I don’t want to get Clark, too expensive.
    Missed out on his $60K first week rise.
    If he spuds it vs Melb?
    Takes away flexibility
    I tried.. Yeah nah, not for me.
    I’ve made my team better without him.

15. JungleMuffin

May 10, 2022 at 9:11 pm

is this like some twisted Chimpanzee version of a Haiku, where the monkey types 6 lines instead of 5 or 3 or whatever it is, and the number of words decrease in the middle (just like my IQ after reading said Chimpanzee Haiku) instead of increasing?

Or are you just trolling?

So what if you missed his first 60k jump. He’s guaranteed to go up more than that again this week plus extra, and then more again next week. I had the choice between Butters and Xerri rd3 or so, after Turden Thomas graced my team fleetingly for a few 50’s and a nice value loss. Was going to go Butters, for no other reason than the mob was, so he must be good, right? Ended up going with Xerri and paying the 70k+ premium for not taking him originally, and am glad as hell I did, as my season woud be undeniably over by now if I’d gone the other way (not that it isn’t already at my rank).

On the slight chance you’re not trolling, Clark will be the same for you. Don’t pick him, and your season is over. On the more likely chance that you are trolling, go kiss your nana.

Give yourself an uppercut Magic Mike, and get him in now.

• Mike

May 10, 2022 at 9:54 pm

As Ben Cunnington says to giving an interview. Nup…
      I made my decision because of what you Muff, Warnie, Roy, Cal and others have had to say.
      You guys helped me, so I’m sticking by my guns no matter what.
      If it fails, care factor zero. It won’t fail though.
      So, it doesn’t matter what you say, I’m happy.
      Once again, you did help me as others did. Cheers.
      No fear.

16. Bill

May 10, 2022 at 9:43 pm

I’m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
    I really love to watch them roll
    No longer riding on the merry-go-round

I just had to let it go

• pendles4brownlow

May 10, 2022 at 11:29 pm

Off the topic of football, but I was going to respond with lyrics from Cyndi Lauper’s She Bop thinking it would fit the WCE players going to the disco; however, when I was putting the lyrics in, I realised what the song is really about. Now, I will never be able to listen to it again without laughing. I looked into it further, obviously, to find that Cyndi recorded it naked, which makes sense I suppose.

• Bill

May 10, 2022 at 11:58 pm

Ha. Could have been more appropriate.

• Bill

May 11, 2022 at 12:01 am

than mine.

• BestowedMisery

May 11, 2022 at 9:44 am

Slipknot’s Disasterpiece sums up the Eagles.

17. Mike

May 10, 2022 at 9:55 pm

Is Lennon type music your reference?

18. The Octopus

May 10, 2022 at 10:01 pm

It’s not too late to hop on the Clacker Train, is it?

• Mike

May 10, 2022 at 10:21 pm

No, absolutely not. If he works for your structure.. then, go for it.

• pendles4brownlow

May 10, 2022 at 11:14 pm

The Clacker train is only just leaving the station; jump on. Hopefully, it has many stations to go before coming to a stop. A must have.

19. Mike