The Friday Scramble

The Friday Scramble R14: The Last of the Byes

Dunny has all you need to get set for the last of the bye rounds.

Did you survive round 13?  I know many coaches didn’t get through without any donuts or at least a couple of terrible scores. But we aren’t quite out of the woods just yet. One more week to go. Hopefully we get a bit of good luck from here on out this season!

Thursday Loophole

Calvin had just the two Vice Captains for us from last night’s game. But there were a few that you could have taken. So let’s have a look at who was worth taking and who wasn’t

Calvin’s Choices

Zach Merrett 105 Once again was looking great and slowed down. Not enough.
Andrew Gaff 92 Not his night. His second lowest of the season (although he has had 91 twice which is his lowest).

Other Options

Shannon Hurn 61 With the Bombers kicking just 5 points there weren’t many kick ins for him and the footy wasn’t down his end much!
Dyson Heppell
 87 Another guy who didn’t have his normal output.
Elliot Yeo 132 Lock that in and throw away the key! The only score that you should be taking from last night.

The line this week is 120+ because we have some of our big names back to pick from as captain like Max Gawn and Brodie Grundy. So we can afford to be a little more greedy this week. Having said that, Yeo I would take if I had him and I had VC’d him.

Bye Week 3 Strategy

Pretty straight forward strategy here this week. Bring in those blokes that aren’t on bye this week. Fairly simple really. But one of the keys this week is to not panic and sideswap premiums. We want to get as many premiums off the field as we can this week and hopefully go into next week with a pretty much fully upgraded team.

As with the other bye weeks look for some value. This season has been one of the most difficult in terms of cash generation and at this point of the season it doesn’t get any easier. Given that we are having so much trouble in generating dollars you should be looking to extract as much value from each dollar as you can. So if you are faced with a choice of two guys that are averaging fairly similar then I would usually take the cheaper one.

Whilst we are looking for value the other thing we need to do is consider the run home that the players have. This is where the Scale of Hardness comes into play.  With just 10 rounds left in the season some teams will have easier opponents than others so that is important. Teams such as Geelong, Sydney, Richmond, Freo and Adelaide all have a pretty good run whereas Melbourne, Gold Coast, Carlton and the Western Bulldogs have a pretty tough run. (thanks to @bricemitchell for this info, give him a follow, he is a wealth of information). So you want to favour the guys with the easier run. Also consider those that have a good run in the Finals too.

My last bit of advice here is that if you are downgrading just keep in mind your bench going forward. There will come times that you will need some bench cover at some point so don’t just downgrade to throwaway guys.

The great thing though is that anyone you select now won’t have any bye issues coming up!

Listen to the AFL Fantasy Podcast with The Traders at Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Google Podcasts.

#AskDunny

Hi Anthony, for me this is usually a pretty easy one. Yes he has had a couple of down games recently but he is a premium. If Selby has taught us anything it is to hold your premiums and trade out your rookies and upgrade them. Now. Having said that if you are going to sideswap him this is the week to do it. If you can’t upgrade another player to get someone on the field then I don’t mind the move.

So, in summary, if you can upgrade someone else with that trade and get another rookie off field then I do that first but if you need the numbers then I am ok with trading out Cripps, but it isn’t my preferred option.

A few weeks ago this was the simplest of choices. However, as well as O’Brien has been going well lately I still make the O’Brien to Gawn trade. O’Brien’s best (excluding last week) is going to be somewhere near Gawn’s lowest. O’Brien won’t come up against ruck duo like Chol and Balta every week. Stack has been scoring reasonably well and as much as I don’t mind Daniel, Gawn is more of a must have.

As I said above I like what O’Brien has done but if he is sitting at R3 for you that is a lot of cash and points sitting on the bench each week. If you have Gawn and Grundy on field then you don’t need to be holding him. I cash him in now and use that cash to upgrade someone on field and put that cash to good use.

I don’t normally like trading out a premo and Kenny has said that Rocky will be back next week. But I do like the idea of getting Dunkley in as he is in some outstanding form. Brayshaw presents a huge amount of value at this price if he can get back into the midfield and show the form he showed on Queen’s Birthday. So I would tick this off I think even though we believe Rocky will be back next week.

Selection Table

JPK returns for the Swans, so if you were thinking of bringing in Parker then just be careful as Parker has been going big with JPK out of the side.
Ebert, Dixon and Wines all return for the Power. Robbie Gray is the one that this is likely to affect as he may be straight back to his forward role as Wines takes the mid time.
Westhoff is out which came as a surprise to me, I thought he wasn’t the worst of the Power side recently. I don’t think he will be out for too long though, I can’t see him being out for more than a week or two at the very most.
There are a three first gamers named in the squads for Sunday’s game but just wait til final teams tonight before looking at them.

Things To Remember

• Trades Stick in RDT and SC today. You can’t reverse them after the round has started.
  • Last week of the byes! Thankfully!
  • If you are enacting the loophole you can put your C on a player on their bye.
  • Don’t just trade anyone in that is playing, make sure you are happy to have them in your side for the rest of the season.

We have made it through to the other side! So make sure your team is set ready to go for the rest of the season. We have another 6 weeks before finals in most leagues. Not long to cement your spot in the finals. Best of luck for this last week of the byes, hopefully it is better than R13 was! See you all next Friday!! Oh, and just a reminder, I love that there are heaps of people helping each other in the comments on a Friday, unfortunately work means that I can’t get on and answer your questions so I do apologise for that, I will try and jump on at lunch sometimes but can’t guarantee it. Cheers!

CLICK IMAGE TO BUY THE NEW TRUCKER CAP!

John

June 21, 2019 at 7:22 am

Sick dog or Daniels

Miyagi-san

June 21, 2019 at 7:53 am

Tough choice, do like them both. I brought in Sic last week (think he has the better ceiling and think he will stay Def from now on after last week too). Still like Daniel more then some other Def options though mate so if that 15k helps your other trades then that could tip the scales his way!

Jag67

June 21, 2019 at 7:42 am

G’day Dunny
    “We want to get as many premiums off the field as we can this week and hopefully go into next week with a pretty much fully upgraded team.”
    Is this a typo – do you mean “rookies”

Dallas

June 21, 2019 at 12:37 pm

Nah – You should definitely get as many premiums off the field as you can Jag.

Fooz

June 21, 2019 at 1:38 pm

Haha! One year I’m going to build a team that consists of fallen premos or players with such large BEs that the $$ will go negative…

Miyagi-san

June 21, 2019 at 7:48 am

Legends – looking for some input…current team (pre trades 17 playing):
    D: Lloyd Houli Sic Smith Stack Naish (Answerth Garner)
    M: Zach TT Cogs Jelly Brouch Fyfe Bray Newnes (O.Baker Bewley)
    R: Gawn Grundy (ROB Cameron)
    F: Boak Telly Danger Dunks Ziebell Worpel (Burgo Gardner)

Trade 1: ROB goes with a standing ovation to D.Fort (is playing/could still make some coin and sit at R3). Done. Bank at $518k.

Option 1: Stack/Newnes OUT, 1.475mil Def/Mid combo in (thinking Duncan or Treloar and C.Daniel). Leaves 1 rook on field next week at D6, 50-100k bank, 18 onfield. Miss Logue cash- harder to get to whit?

Option 2: Stack/Gardner OUT, Newnes fwd, Logue/Duncan +130k. 19 onfield this round, Leaves 2 rooks on field next week at D5/6, Newnes at F7 to be an up/down for a D premo. Better cash gen and rookie moving, but 1 wk further from finished?

Thoughts??

Dallas

June 21, 2019 at 12:41 pm

Are you playing for overall ranking or looking to win leagues?
      What will option 2 mean for your league positioning and matchups?

Nathan

June 21, 2019 at 8:12 am

Fyfe or Tim Kelly?

already have 6 premo forwards, so Kelly would sit in the mids and in 2-3 weeks trade a Worpel to a premo mid via Kelly. Or just get Fyfe as a mid?

Dallas

June 21, 2019 at 12:43 pm

Hard to say without seeing your mid lineup – who do you not have from the top tier? I probably only do this if it means you turn Worpel into Jelly/Duncan/Gaff.

anth80

June 21, 2019 at 8:56 am

Dunny and Fantasy community.
    What’s better for the last trade of the week. Already done Balta to Cameron and Walsh to Treloar.
    Thinking either Cripps to Neale or Smith to Stewart?

preet

June 21, 2019 at 1:30 pm

stewart

Jay

June 21, 2019 at 9:02 am

Which sounds better
    1) witts/ stack/ L baker to danger/ dunkley and Bewley/ logue – 19 on field
    Or
    2) witts/ O’Brien/ stack to gawn/ fort/ dunkley – 18 on field and fort emergency

I think 1 as don’t need emergency ruck and best to have max on field and can get gawn next week

Dallas

June 21, 2019 at 12:50 pm

Can you move Baker instead of Stack to make 2 work? Baker is fattened up, Stack has a little more room to grow, and Gawn is well placed to have a monster this week.

Pendles4Brownlow

June 21, 2019 at 9:05 am

Naish or Logue??

Pendles4Brownlow

June 21, 2019 at 9:11 am

Scrap that – it will be Logue this week and Naish next. Brain not switched on yet.

Gareth

June 21, 2019 at 10:34 am

Brayshaw or Neale ?

9. Will

Will

June 21, 2019 at 11:20 am

sooo, which fwd rookie are we all trading in this week?

Pendles4Brownlow

June 21, 2019 at 12:16 pm

What forward rookies? Cameron was last night – will he be named next week?

Peter

June 21, 2019 at 12:25 pm

Jarryd Stephenson for me!

Pendles4Brownlow

June 21, 2019 at 7:25 pm

I BET that doesn’t work out well for you.

Chief007

June 21, 2019 at 11:26 am

Lloyd, laird, witherden, Smith, Rozee, stack, (Hore Naish)

J.kelly, Coniglio, Merrett, b. crouch, Cripps, t.kelly, dunkley, D. Clarke( baker, hind)

Grundy, Gawn (fort, Smith)

Boak, Dangerfield, Martin, Billings, Worpel, Ziebell (Corbett, young)

190k in the bank

stack/Smith/witherden to Logue/Daniel/Salem leaves me 213k
    Or
    Stack/Smith/Archie Smith to Logue/Daniel/170k ruckman leaves me 404k

Which should I do, have held witherden too long should I move him on or just ride with him and have good $$$ to upgrade next week

Dan

June 21, 2019 at 12:06 pm

Nah, why not Smith, Stack and Hore and grab Logue and 2 premo defenders??

Chief007

June 21, 2019 at 12:50 pm

Yeah could do, Hore is scoring just as well as witho but I guess if he ends up my D8 it’s not too bad, cheers

DJ

June 21, 2019 at 12:13 pm

Thoughts on trading Gibbons to Lipinski for a one week points/cash grab given his break even is only 24?

Next week he can become a rookie (Cameron/Chol/Rose) depending on selection and i can upgrade my final midfield spot.

Or just bring in Rose for Gibbons this week?

I could also hold Gibbons and trade Gardner to Rose

Raven

June 21, 2019 at 1:12 pm

Wouldn’t waste a trade for Lipinski as you will only be trading him out again the next week.

Gibbons unlikely to reach his BE when he comes back and will drop further. He has to go first.

Gardner, not much value in trading in. Past few years I’ve had too much experience in trying to trade out no value deadwood. Wasted trade with little or no return. Best to leave the deadwood if you can.

12. Fooz

Fooz

June 21, 2019 at 12:25 pm

I’ve gone crazy.
    Trading Cogs for a 1-week loan… coz I wanna see if Brayshaw is really back or not.

So – trades now “locked and loaded”, depending on any late changes…

Baker + Larkey + Cogs > Danger + Rose + Duncan.
    I have cover for Danger – Rose
    I have cover for Grundy – Fort.
    18 on field.

Forward planning post-byes = Retaining the services of Stack, Perryman as D5 and D6 due to their draw / JS and lack of decent upgrade (or downgrade targets) this week. I think Sicily will get tagged/harrassed, and Stewart’s been off his game.

Next week – Brayshaw (at M8) is likely to go back to Cogs, with Parker going to some FWD/DEF pleb

Nick

June 21, 2019 at 12:25 pm

Answerth/Stack to Sicily or ROB to Grundy? Can play Fort if I don’t get Grundy

Dallas

June 21, 2019 at 12:54 pm

Grundog millionaire. Every day.

Peter

June 21, 2019 at 12:44 pm

Need to know best option
    1) trade out Smith, Walsh and Hayes for Logue, Duncan and Bewely to then get in Laird following week
    or
    2) trade out Smith, Stack and Walsh for Logue, C.Daniel and Brayshaw and then get Laird in following week??

michaelt1

June 21, 2019 at 1:12 pm

Option 1, want to get the cash cows in (i.e. Bewley) before they rise too much in price

texantexan

June 21, 2019 at 1:09 pm

James Rose or Joel Garner as a downgrade target this week?

Fooz

June 21, 2019 at 1:20 pm

I’m going Rose. The extra $35K could be used in a mini-downgrade if needed, if he only plays one week. It’s a bit harder to downgrade from a $189K player…

Andy

June 21, 2019 at 1:53 pm

I finally got around to cutting Garner last week, now he’s playing again…

michaelt1

June 21, 2019 at 1:16 pm

Trade witts to gawn and cop a donut, or trade rockliff/cripps to Duncan and field Fort to make 18.

Andy

June 21, 2019 at 1:51 pm

As mentioned in this article, Geelong have a better run home than Melbourne.

Andy

June 21, 2019 at 1:35 pm

Thinking of bringing in Stewart, Logue and Gus.Brayshaw, for B.Smith, Stack and Walsh.
    That gives me 22 players on the field.
    Any thoughts?

Caleb

June 21, 2019 at 1:53 pm

Sicily or Dusty (via Daniel DPP) in this week? Either will leave me with 19 playing

Freddy

June 21, 2019 at 5:22 pm

Is Danger playing

Bring back the Bars

June 21, 2019 at 5:37 pm

Why are you using this”Scale of Hardness” that @bricemitchell made? It says explicitly on there that it uses premiership odds before round 14 to determine the opposition difficulty. It’s not using fantasy points against. He’s a Supercoach player where that could actually apply as they have weighted scoring.

Marcus

June 21, 2019 at 5:46 pm

My Score from 2 Rookies last night is 137. I hope there the 2 smallest scores on my Team as I have 20 playing this week.