The Friday Scramble

The Friday Scramble – Rd. 5 – Easter

Well the Easter Bunny didn’t deliver us a heap of points last night but hopefully there are more to be found over the weekend!

Happy Easter everyone!  Hope you are all enjoying your Good Friday and hopefully we will have a couple of good games to watch this afternoon. This is one of the longest rounds of footy we have (the other round is next week!) and it is one that we need to plan really well for as it can be tricky! Whilst there will be lots of eggs around this weekend, they aren’t what will be Scrambling!

Reminder

Just a reminder as you settle back to watch the footy today.  Any trades you make in Supercoach and Real Dreamteam will stick. You won’t be able to reverse them. Similarly any trades that you make in AFL Fantasy that use one of the locked out players as a position swap or if you did a trade involving one to make money to fund a subsequent trade then those trades will also be locked.

Basically what I am trying to say is be very careful when you are playing around with your side today.

BIG REMINDER: We will NOT know the squads for the Geelong / Hawthorn game on Easter Monday before the AF lockout tonight so just beware of this and don’t take any risks with that game. The main player that I see as a risk is Jordan Clark. Make sure you have cover for him.

Thursday Night Loophole

Yet again we have had a chance to play the loophole option last night and we had a couple of prime candidates to choose from. Did you pick any of them to have a go at the VC loophole?

Whilst you can technically use this afternoon’s game between Essendon and North Melbourne for the loophole there are no real options that we would be considering in that game so I will just focus on last night.

Adam Treloar – 120. Spot on the line! It is worth it if you don’t have one of Cal’s top 3 or if you prefer points in the bank.
Brodie Grundy – 78. A down game for Grundy, just as Calvin predicted!
Lachie Neale – 76. Not a great night for Lachie.
Dayne Zorko – 88. Nope, not a great one for him.
Dayne Beams – 95 wasn’t the game that Beamer wanted against his old side but he would have been happy with the win.

As always we look for 120 as the line that we take, but we hate it when someone gets spot on the 120 mark. I am still up in the air as to whether I will be taking it or not, but at this stage I may not although I do like points in the bank. This was a pretty low scoring game with Treloar the only player that scored a 120. In fact there were only 4 players that hit 100+.

If you are a Supercoach player and VC’d Treloar, then take his 150 and don’t look back!! No other VC options in Supercoach were worth taking.

When should we start culling the Rookies?

There has been a lot of talk in recent days about starting to dump some of our rookies that are underperforming. This is always a tricky time of the season as we want to start upgrading our teams and to do that we need cash. However many of our rookies haven’t made much cash yet and this has many coaches hesitant to trade them out. So here are a few of my thoughts about trading these guys out this week.

Is the Rookie Will Setterfield?
In AF there is no hesitation for you. Trade him out. His BE isn’t terrible at 28 but he is out for two weeks. He has made us just under $100k which isn’t ideal but with our two trades per week we can afford to move him on. However, in SC and RDT you may want to save that trade and use him as a loophole option. In SC he has made just $48.7k and in RDT he has made $83.8k so in both of these formats so it isn’t really enough. In these games you can use him to loop other players on and off the bench.

Is there anyone that is a Must Trade Out?
When looking at the rookies that you have in your team who do you feel is someone that you absolutely positively must trade out? To determine that your best bet is to review their Break Evens. For those new to Fantasy the Break Even is the score the player must get to retain their current value. What we want to do is have rookies that have low BE’s. There are a few players whose BE’s are getting a little higher and these are the ones that we need to target first.  Zak Butters, Jordan Clark and Matthew Parker are the main ones that we are concerned with as their BE’s are over 35 in AF and some are even higher in the other forms. All of these guys have been named to play this week so really you don’t have to trade them out as they should all rise in value this week, albeit not much in some cases.

What are your options to bring in?
Do you have anyone that you are desperate to bring in? I am sure that you are all read Fry’s article from Wednesday and in that he spells out who are the key guys to bring in. To be honest there isn’t anyone that is a bargain that is really screaming out to be selected in your sides at the moment. But if you do want to trade a rookie out this is an important consideration, what are you getting in? To make the change you need to be bringing someone in that is going to rise more in value than the person you had traded out still had to rise and most importantly if it is an on field player you need to be happy that they can score as much if not more than the player you have traded out. You don’t want to trade someone out that is scoring well on field only to bring in less points on field. Whilst we need cash we also need points.

Selection Table

A big name in (or two) and a big name out am0ngst the changes this week!

• Devon Smith is being MANAGED! Serously? It is round 5! I suspect he is being dropped. But seriously it may just mean that he has been carrying something which would account for his scoring start to the season.
  • Josh Rotham was on the bubble in RDT and SC and was a popular trade in for AF. However he has been omitted which confirms what a few thought about his job security.
  • Jackson Hately gets his chance with the Giants.  This kid can play and should score well. Job security is the concern but he has come in for Ward who is out for the season so that is a good sign.
  • Fyfe returns. Just beware though as he will probably be tagged and we know some players don’t come back well after a concussion (hopefully I am wrong).
  • Dusty is back from suspension which will be great for owners that have held.
  • Kreuzer is back which will help those that drafted him early
  • Bryce Gibbs has been named in the squad for the Crows after his week in the SANFL.

Things To Remember

• Geelong v Hawthorn Teams won’t be known until tomorrow afternoon.
  • Lockout tonight isn’t until the Power v Eagles game so we are still in partial lockout during the Dons v Roos game.
  • Don’t panic on rookies there is plenty of time left.
  • We will only have ONE day between round 5 and round 6. Make sure you listen to the Traders pods and keep your eye on DTTalk twitter and site to keep you up to date with the latest.

Have a brilliant Easter folks!  I know I will be enjoying the rest over the weekend. Next week there will already have been two games by the time you hear from me again. So you will get another crack at the loophole. Until then enjoy plenty of chocky eggs and hot cross buns (I know I will be)!

Petracca

April 19, 2019 at 7:02 am

If all rooks are playing (first trade is Clark -> Hore) would you prefer to trade Gibbons to Hayes (prefer the extra cash over Ross) or go Fort -> O’Brien to generate ruck cash and have Bye coverage?

Thinking is that if Gibbons gets DPP next week I can swing him forward to downgrade one of the horrible rookies on that line (Balta / Burgess) to Hayes (should he perform decently this week)

Or am I overthinking this and should just go Clarke -> Hore and Gibbons -> Hayes to bank the $212k for next week?

Cheers

Dunny

April 19, 2019 at 8:59 am

My head hurts just thinking of all those combinations!
      I don’t mind Clarke to Hore as a part of the Breakeven game. I don’t mind Fort to O’Brien but I am usually against trading in the ruck bench, this could be an exception. I am not sure on the Gibbons to Hayes though. Gibbons is annoying me however.

Petracca

April 19, 2019 at 9:14 am

Doing my head in as well!

Team below if it helps ($30k in bank)

Whitfield, Lloyd, Smith, Williams, Duursma, Scrim (Clark, Wilkie)

Cripps, Coniglio, Brayshaw, Rocky, B.Crouch, Libba, Walsh, constable (Gibbons, Stack)

Grundy, Gawn (fort, carmerson)

Danger, Kelly, Worpel, Rozee, Drew, Parker (Balta, Burgess)

Forward line sucks but don’t have enough cash to upgrade / at least they are playing.

The Clark -> Hore, Gibbons -> Hayes move gives me $212k to fix this next week.

The move with O’Brien is more long term I guess? But only leaves me with $5k in the bank. My worry is that this will leave me in a difficult position next week should I need to fix some rooks (e.g Parker, Balta, Stack and god forbid any of the boys)

Thoughts please guys! I’m leaning going Gibbons to Hayes at this point and just taking the cash into next week.

myk393

April 19, 2019 at 7:31 am

Thanks for the write-up Dunny. So, I don’t need to fix Settersfield as I don’t have him and I don’t need to bring Hore in as I already have him, so I’m thinking about doing a few luxury trades/fixes this week.

B. Smith and Dunkley to Sheppard and Newnes.

What do you guys think? Significant improvements, but no attention to rookies. Smart move?

My team is:
    DEF: Lloyd, Whitfield, Smith, Duursma, Scrimshaw, Hore (Collins, Burgess)
    MID: Coniglio, Cripps, Rocky, Brayshaw, B. Crouch, Libba, Walsh, Constable (Butters, Stack)
    RUC: Grundy, Gawn (Fort, Smith)
    FWD: Dangerfield, Worpel, Dunkley, Drew, Parker, Miers (Schultz, Petruccelle)

$87,000 in the bank.

M8

April 19, 2019 at 8:11 am

I wouldn’t get both Sheppard and Newnes I just don’t feel they are both top 6 players in their positions maybe get one of them if you want to, just seems very sideways

Dunny

April 19, 2019 at 9:13 am

I am not sold on Sheppard or Newnes as being players you must have in your squad at the end of the season. I would be looking to maybe do something to upgrade Smith or Dunkley and not sideways both of them.

EmeraldIllusion

April 19, 2019 at 11:00 am

I’ve decided to give Smith another week and ditch Dunkley.

What do you guys think of Dunkley and Butters to Boak and Hayes?

Jake

April 19, 2019 at 7:35 am

Hore and Newnes
    Or
    Young (170k debut) and Heeney?

EmeraldIllusion

April 19, 2019 at 7:38 am

Don’t go Heeney. Rollercoaster ride. He’ll flop soon. Not to mention he has a hip complaint too. Don’t risk it, not even for the biscuit.

Dunny

April 19, 2019 at 9:15 am

I think Hore and Newnes may be your better option there with Heeney’s hip issue.

Hawker238

April 19, 2019 at 7:43 am

For some reason in fantasy, all North & Essendon players shaded out when I go to trade them in (like Collingwood & Brisbane). Anyone else have this issue?

Dunny

April 19, 2019 at 9:19 am

Seems ok to me? I can move North and Essendon players into my squad.

Clout

April 19, 2019 at 1:17 pm

Happening to me too

M8

April 19, 2019 at 8:00 am

Which option do we reckon lads?
    1.) Clark to Hore and Setterfield to Newnes which leaves me $4k. I’m not sold on Newnes but it’s the best I can get to that way.
    2.) Williams to Hore and Setterfield to Heeney. Or go
    3.) Clark to Hore and Setterfield down to Baker for cash?
    Thoughts on what trades to do?
    DEF: Lloyd, Whitfield, Smith, Williams, Duursma, Scrimshaw (Clark, McInerney)
    MID: Macrae, Coniglio, Cripps, Rockliff, B.Crouch, Libba, Walsh, Constable (Stack, Gibbons)
    RUCK: Grundy, Witts (Flynn, Fort)
    FWD: Dangerfield, Kelly, Worpel, Setterfield, Drew, Parker (Burgess, Balta)
    Cash: $133k

Jake

April 19, 2019 at 8:41 am

I’ve done option 1 there myself. I’m not 100% on Newnes but he ticks a few boxes. What do you see him averaging? He could push top 6, more likely 6-10 bracket

Danger, Boak, Kelly, Heeney and then a raffle a little. Devon and Gola look average this year. Billings probably gets in at the minute

Ravalle

April 19, 2019 at 8:55 am

At this point of the season I’d be going with option 3…I believe cash generstiig is still king at the moment

Dunny

April 19, 2019 at 9:18 am

Looking at your team there if you go option C you need to play Burgess on field (or Baker) and if you can stomach that then that may be an ok way to go. I would probably go Option 1 though out of those at this stage as it improves your team on field.

Petracca

April 19, 2019 at 9:18 am

I’d be on 3 mate. Think you want to generate cash to deal with Parker and a couple of other issues in the coming weeks. Last thing you want is newnes to regress slightly and then have to think about trading him out as well

Rory Shatkins

April 19, 2019 at 12:33 pm

I’d do none of those You need to get rid of McInerney before Setters. Neither will play the next two weeks, but at least Setters will come back. Keep Clark, could end up playing. And the only other rook worth getting is Ross, who is a mid.

My trades would be McIn>Hore; Gibbons>Ross.

M8

April 19, 2019 at 8:49 am

The cash just seems tempting rather than taking Newnes, I see him averaging around 85-90 ish, I agree with your top 6 I also reckon Worpel is a chance to push in as well

Jake

April 19, 2019 at 8:59 am

Newnes does feel like an odd pick after so many seasons at 85-90. But I reckon we would have felt weird with Westhoff at this point last year too. Newnes looks to have a really nice role, mixed between wing and half back

Chubby Rain

April 19, 2019 at 9:52 am

Def: Lloyd, Whitfield, BSmith, ZWilliams, Duursma, Scrimshaw (JClark, Burgess)
    Mid: Rockliff, Sloane, Sheed, Taranto, B Crouch, Liberatore, Walsh, Constable (Stack, Atkins)
    Ruck: Grundy, Witts (Z Clarke, Fort)
    Fwd: Dangerfield, T Kelly, Boak, Newnes, Setterfield, Drew, (Miers, Parker)
    Salary: $93k

Want to involve the below, Worpel will keep getting the opportunities, just hope he doesn’t fatigue as season goes on
    Z Williams > Laird + Sheed > Ross
    Setterfield > Worpel + Clarke > Hore

Rory Shatkins

April 19, 2019 at 12:38 pm

1 definitely. Worpel’s is basically priced his avg now, and he won’t be a top 6.
      Laird’s scoring over ZW will balance out the loss of Sheed.
      Miers can cover Setters for a couple of weeks.

John

April 19, 2019 at 10:08 am

I have treloar as VC… after getting burnt last week not taking lloyds VC do i learn from that mistake or do i risk it again and go for a higher captain score with lloyd playing tigers?

EmeraldIllusion

April 19, 2019 at 10:20 am

Better to be safe than sorry, as they say.

Grovers Guns

April 19, 2019 at 10:21 am

who do I field –
    DEF – Schrimshaw or Duursma?
    Mid – Ross or Stack?
    FWD – Petrucuelle or Parker ? (yeah I know this one really sucks)

So far fielding Schrimshaw, Ross and Petrucuelle

michaelt1

April 19, 2019 at 12:52 pm

Scrimshaw, Ross, and honestly flip a coin for Parker or Petruccelle, they’ll both probs score similar. I’d back in Parker if I had to pick one though.

Mad Fish

April 19, 2019 at 10:38 am

Couple of rookies out this week, but got enough cash in the bank to upgrade my team other the next two weeks:

DEF: Lloyd, Crisp, Smith, Williams, Duursma, Clark, (Scrimshaw, Lockhart)
    MID: Brayshaw, Crouch, Rocky, Taranto, B Crouch, Libba, Walsh, Constable, (Stack, Ross)
    RUCK: Grundy, Mumford, (Flynn, Fort)
    FWD: Danger, Kelly, Billings, Worpel, Setters, Drew, (Parker, Schulz)
    $337k remaining

Trades I’m thinking of are:
    Setters –> Daniel
    Clark –> Hore

Leaves me with $180k to do an upgrade/downgrade next week as well. What’s everyone’s thoughts?

PK

April 19, 2019 at 10:39 am

Great article as always mate, but I need some help Dunny!
    1. Setterfield & Williams to Hayes & Laird +49k
    OR
    2. Setterfield & Newman to Ross & Lloyd + 20k

?

EmeraldIllusion

April 19, 2019 at 11:07 am

Lloyd is a “must have” in my opinion.

Liam

April 19, 2019 at 10:57 am

Hey lads stuck with trades this week
    Thoughts appreciated Got 149k in bank

Thoughts of going
    Mummy- Obrian
    Parker- Daniel or Newnes

Whitfield, Lloyd, Smith, Williams, Duursma, Clark( Scrimshaw, Hore)

Macrae, Cripps, Mcrouch, Brayshaw, Bcrouch, Libba, Walsh, Constable(Stack, Atkins)

Grundy, Mummy

Danger, Kelly Worpel, Rozee, Drew, Parker(Petruccelle,Burgess)

michaelt1

April 19, 2019 at 11:47 am

Go mummy to O’Brian and Parker to Daniel

Andy

April 19, 2019 at 11:05 am

I’m trading:
    1.-Clarke (waste of space) to O’Brien (who will make some cash).
    2.-Gibbons to Ross.

I’ll be watching: L.Young (DEF), W.Hayes (MID), Rowbottom (DEF), and Hately (MID) for possible trade-ins next week.
    But I’ll probably need to get rid of J.Clark (DEF), and also hope for a new rookie fwd.

Nick

April 19, 2019 at 11:17 am

Which DEF or FWD premo do I bring in for Clark? Already got Lloyd, Danger, Boak and Kelly and think Whitfield is too expensive personally.

Looking at Laird, Stewart, Billings, Heeney, Newnes and Daniel.

michaelt1

April 19, 2019 at 11:45 am

Laird. Probs bottomed out or close to it and has Gold Coast this week

The Cricket

April 19, 2019 at 12:23 pm

Laird. Top 6 defender. His price has bottomed out and he won’t be this cheap again. Grab premos while they’re underpriced rather than paying top dollar for them.

Daniel Kotronis

April 19, 2019 at 11:19 am

Thoughts on going:
    Clark + Settersfield to Daniel + Young/Hayes

DEF: Lloyd, Milera, Smith, Williams, Duursma, Scrimshaw (Clark, Burgess)
    MID: Cogs, Bont, Taranto, Rocky, B.Crouch, Libba, Walsh, Constable (Atkins, Lockhart)
    RUC: Grundy, Goldstein (Flynn, Cameron)
    FWD: Danger, Kelly, Billings, Worpel, Setters, Drew (Parker, Petrucelle)

michaelt1

April 19, 2019 at 11:42 am

Definitely do that and get Hayes instead of Young. Hayes’ numbers in the VFL are much better than Young’s

Dan

April 19, 2019 at 11:21 am

Def: Lloyd, Whitfield, Smith, Williams, Scrimshaw, Duursma (Clark, Burgess)
    Mid: Bont, Rockliff, Brayshaw, B.Crouch, Liberatore, Walsh, Butters, Atkins (Constable, Stack)
    Ruc: Grundy, Gawn (Sweet, Fort)
    Fwd: Dangerfield, Boak, Kelly, Worpel, Setterfield, Drew (Parker, Balta)
    $114k

Thoughts on
    Settlerfield > Hore
    Butters > Hayes

Leaves $414k to bring in Caleb Daniel for Parker next week.

bullant9

April 19, 2019 at 11:46 am

Looks like constable is out

Daniel Kotronis

April 19, 2019 at 12:08 pm

Would you give the emergency to Hayes or Atkins for Constable?

michaelt1

April 19, 2019 at 1:39 pm

Probs Atkins, he’s got runs on the board per say, we don’t know what Hayes’ scoring will be like

Name

April 19, 2019 at 12:10 pm

!! Trade or hold constable !!

rkovsfu

April 19, 2019 at 12:31 pm

hold x infinity

Sloane Ranger

April 19, 2019 at 12:13 pm

Hi Guys, maybe a stupid question but the AF website says ‘next partial lockout in..’ which is just before the North vs Ess game, but then doesn’t the WCE vs Port game start just before or straight after that which would be full lockout, meaning no time to change team around before full lockout? Just wanting clarification as to whether there will be time to change team around between the two games mentioned. Cheers in advance.

michaelt1

April 19, 2019 at 12:39 pm

Def: Lloyd, T Stewart, B Smith, Z Williams, Duursma, Scrimshaw (J Clark, Hore)

Mid: Macrae, Coniglio, Cripps, M Crouch, B Crouch, Liberatore, Walsh, Constable (Stack, Gibbons)

Ruc: Grundy, Gawn (Flynn, Fort)

Fwd: Dangerfield, T Kelly, Worpel, Setterfield, Drew, M Parker (Burgess, Balta)

Remaining salary: $10k

Already going setters to Liam Baker with my first trade.

For my second trade, now that Constable is a likely out do I bring in Hayes and play Stack on field (pocketing an extra 50k as well), or do I bring in Ross and field him. i.e.

Gibbons to Ross (Ross on field)
      OR
      Gibbons to Hayes +50k (Stack on field)

michaelt1

April 19, 2019 at 12:44 pm

North v Essendon (partial lockout) starts at 4.20pm EST, meaning it will finish at around 7.20pm EST. West Coast v Port (full lockout) starts at 8.10pm EST, hence you’ll probs have around 50 minutes max. to change your team between north v essendon finishing and west coast v port starting.

Harrison

April 19, 2019 at 12:28 pm

who to trade out of clark and parker. Brining in hore. If i trade clark i have to play hore.

michaelt1

April 19, 2019 at 12:46 pm

clark is likely not to play so you’re better off trading him out. at least you know Hore is capable of a 90

Daniel t

April 19, 2019 at 12:56 pm

My team 187 k in bank stuck on two trades advice please

Def
    Laird Lloyd Smith Z Williams Scrimshaw duuresma (Lochart Clark )
    Mids
    Treloar Rocky Brayshaw Taranto B Crouch
    Libba Walsh Constable(stack Atkins)
    Rucks
    Grundy witts (Fort Flynn)
    Forwards
    Dangerfield heeney worpel rozzee Parker Drew( Burgess Petruccelle)

Brett

April 19, 2019 at 1:01 pm

Who to trade out of Clark or Lockhart.

Gut says Lockhart is highly rated and back next week. Clarks slowing down.

michaelt1

April 19, 2019 at 1:37 pm

Clark. Lockhart still has plenty of cash to make and Clark is probs not going to play this week. If it wasn’t for Lockhart’s back spasm he would be in the 22.

lewie14

April 19, 2019 at 1:43 pm

Still on the fence about trading sheed this week, gonna be a scrappy wet game, could suit him possibly ?

michaelt1

April 19, 2019 at 2:09 pm

Regardless Gaff has taken away his midfield time, he just not gonna be around the ball much. I would be trading this week

Shags

April 19, 2019 at 1:45 pm

Shags

April 19, 2019 at 1:48 pm

Hold Constable for one week. Hes too good to cull.

Or. Grab that cash and run…

Brett

April 19, 2019 at 1:52 pm

What the F$%K!!!

Daniel Kotronis

April 19, 2019 at 1:55 pm

Gotta hold him

Vinnie

April 19, 2019 at 2:01 pm

thoughts on Lobb in FWD line? Can upgrade Setter to him, had exact money..not many other options around $510K mark..

Shags

April 19, 2019 at 2:15 pm

1. Gibbons> Ross/Hately

2. Z.Will> Laird

It looks like Gibbons is a lock for fwd/mid status next week which makes me think I should hold. (Hes doing better than my fwd rookie spuds).

I can get 1 week look in on Hayes/Hately, but I might miss the boat on Ross.

But I’m also concerned that it’s not the best week to move on Z.will (I consider him a failed midpricer and want to move on asap).

Bluesfan

April 19, 2019 at 2:38 pm

Why are North & Essendon players locked out already?? Can’t make Zerrett capt or sub Scott for late out Constable??!!??

Shags

April 19, 2019 at 2:45 pm

Reload or try the website. Its obviously a glitch.

EmeraldIllusion

April 19, 2019 at 2:47 pm

Working fine for me. Make sure you try all avenues; app, different browsers, phone, PC, etc etc.

EmeraldIllusion

April 19, 2019 at 2:56 pm

Hey guys,

Dunkley and Butters to Boak and Hayes? Good idea?

Thought about Kelly so I have a bit of spare cash, but Boak is a must-have, right?

Sloane Ranger

April 19, 2019 at 3:20 pm

How much of an impact do you think the weather will have on fantasy points scoring in the wet (WA)?
    Mainly thinking of whether to move on Sheed or should he be better in the wet?

hawka

April 19, 2019 at 3:49 pm

Will Hayes or Ross from tigers ?

Mecca

April 19, 2019 at 4:33 pm

I have the same decision to make. Leaning towards Ross as whoever I pick will be on field and he has “runs on the board”. If they were on my bench I’d be more inclined to go Hayes for the extra $50k.

A few Q’s I have for discussion:
      1. Who would you field out of Stack and Atkins?
      2. Who would you field out of Miers and Drew?
      3. What’s the better upgrade – Setterfield to Daniel + $86k (moves either Drew or Miers to bench) or Clark to Stewart + 9K (moves Scrimshaw to bench)?